Question About Sunflowers

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have no garden. Can you grow sunflowers in pots? Also maybe we should have a gardening forum :) I love to garden and it would be great to have a place to discuss the love of it.

Tika

Old kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thistlewoodpubllishing.com
Some of the miniature varieties of sunflowers can be planted in pots to adorn decks, porches and patios.

did you know that with most varieties of sunflowers the blooms will face east? Fact!

We used to grow sunflowers and pick the flowers when ripe, leaving a foot long stem. We would hang them to dry. In the winter, they provided an excellent treat for outdoor birds.

Yes, I think a gardening thread would be a wonderful idea. I was going to start it myself a few weeks ago and didn't get around to it. My ideas? Share help, discuss problems, maybe include some recipes of your own freshly grown veggies, etc. If you've discovered a new variety of a garden plant, share it and tell why you love it. The best idea I had? A plant and seed sharing! For instance, I grow many varieties of columbine. I could trade some seeds or small plants for something that someone else has to trade. Plants and seeds could also be sold.

Interested peoples?

Tika

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I have no garden. Can you grow sunflowers in pots? Also maybe we should have a gardening forum :) I love to garden and it would be great to have a place to discuss the love of it.

If you live in a sunny locale, you might try gazanias in pots. These are sun-loving flowers from southern Africa, which produce fairly large daisy-like blooms in a raucous variety of yellows, oranges, whites, pinks, commonly multi-striped. The blooms open in bright sunlight, and fold closed in cloudy weather and at night. Very hardy, don't need a lot of water, and will withstand considerable neglect. They don't get very tall, not more than a foot or so max. Another similar, smaller intensely-colored flower of similar habit from southern Africa is the Livingstone Daisy. I commonly plant these two together, and they bloom heavily during the summer.

caw