PDA

View Full Version : which of your ideas could be accused of plagiarism?

Kaiser-Kun
06-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Reading the thread about Willy the Wizard got me thinking. Which ideas from your novels could get copyright sues? (of course, by idiots who only want to get attention)

I could certainly get frowns for using wizards in trains, alien invasions, and meteor gonna destroy the planet.

bettielee
06-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Robert Jordan's tattoos after going through a ritual under a mountain (though, I can't remember if his was under a mountain, or past a mountain on the other side...) but my dragons make more sense! :)

gothicangel
06-18-2009, 08:35 PM
No-one could accuse me of plaguarism as I have not directly lifted lumps of text ad vertim and there is no copyright on ideas

Phaeal
06-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Reading the thread about Willy the Wizard got me thinking. Which ideas from your novels could get copyright sues? (of course, by idiots who only want to get attention)

I could certainly get frowns for using wizards in trains, alien invasions, and meteor gonna destroy the planet.

All your ideas are far too broad to worry about, especially the last two. Go for 'em.

Salis
06-18-2009, 08:55 PM
I plagiarize the Bible. God is going to sue the shit out of me.

Fokker Aeroplanbau
06-18-2009, 09:02 PM
The inspiration I have used is the same which has inspired John Locke, Milton Friedman, Murray Rothbard, Ayn Rand, Ludwig von Mises, Thomas Paine, Thomas Jefferson and countless others who have found freedom to be better then serfdom; responsibility better then victimhood and blessings better then equality. So in that sense, my works are entirely ripped off from them; though in other senses those feelings have no creator but a natural existence 'owned' by no one.

Depending on your viewpoint, I guess.

Kaiser-Kun
06-18-2009, 09:06 PM
No-one could accuse me of plaguarism as I have not directly lifted lumps of text ad vertim and there is no copyright on ideas

All your ideas are far too broad to worry about, especially the last two. Go for 'em.

Oh no no... I didn't meant successful copyright sues. I was thinking more on people pointing at me and yelling "Hey! That's my idea, inspired to me by a widely-used concept!"

Fokker Aeroplanbau
06-18-2009, 09:07 PM
I use words in my stories too - does that count?

Kaiser-Kun
06-18-2009, 09:08 PM
I use words in my stories too - does that count?

Someone really desperate for attention could sue you for it.

Edit: Wait, what? That was my idea! Gimme a million dollars or I'll cyber-wedgie you!

CaroGirl
06-18-2009, 09:28 PM
I accuse all my ideas of plagiarism. In my own mind, if it's my idea, it sounds like it must have been done a thousand times before. My betas tell me I'm creative but my inner critic says otherwise.

bettielee
06-18-2009, 09:54 PM
I nearly fainted when I saw a book with dragon-winged horses on it. Nearly passed out. Another woman has written a book about them, but hers are in a school/kingdom setting, mine is an apocolyptic type deal, and the horses are wild/sentient.

Damn brain writes too slow...

IceCreamEmpress
06-18-2009, 11:18 PM
I totally stole that whole "hero's journey" thing from Joseph Campbell. SHHH DON'T TELL

blacbird
06-18-2009, 11:28 PM
The one about the white whale and the vengeful sea captain with a peg leg. But my whale is really dinky, about the size of a toy poodle.

caw

Rebekah7
06-18-2009, 11:34 PM
I've stolen ideas from myself, but I can't find a lawyer who will be both my advocate and my defense.

ccv707
06-19-2009, 12:33 AM
Technically speaking, nothing, because I've never used or closely imitated the language and thoughts of another author and represented them as my own original work. Of course, being inspired by others is another matter.

However, with the nature of things as they are, anyone could be accused of plagiarism at any time, and at some point we probably will be. Fortunately, ideas cannot be copyrighted.

KTC
06-19-2009, 12:38 AM
I accuse all my ideas of plagiarism. In my own mind, if it's my idea, it sounds like it must have been done a thousand times before. My betas tell me I'm creative but my inner critic says otherwise.

QFT

bettielee
06-19-2009, 12:44 AM
However, with the nature of things as they are, anyone could be accused of plagiarism at any time, and at some point we probably will be. Fortunately, ideas cannot be copyrighted.

That's what kaiser meant by this thread - what have you "used" similar to another author.

You know you -admit it. We aaalllll do it! We call it "inspiration" because it sounds nicer than "cadged"

batgirl
06-19-2009, 02:07 AM
I am totally ripping off a fairytale. The Brothers Grimm are coming after me, undeterred by the fact that copyright hadn't been invented when Kinder- und Hausmaerchen was published.

My other WiP is witchfinders and vampires. Surely somewhere out there is a story about Undead Matthew Hopkins? C'mon, it's such an obvious idea.
-Barbara

Christine N.
06-19-2009, 02:36 AM
Magic books where they literally suck you inside the story. Although my magic books take you to made-up stories instead of "real" Ages, the Myst computer game has something similar. I haven't used it as a device yet (plan to in a future book, mentioned it in one already published), but if a page is torn from my magic books, anyone left inside is stuck there until the page is returned. That is also similar to the Myst game.

Someone mentioned in a review for THE CROWN OF ZEUS, and I guess I didn't realize it until then. I love that game, played it YEARS ago. In fact I just ordered the 10th anniversary edition of the first three games in the series, since my copy no longer works on current systems.

dnic
06-19-2009, 02:37 AM
- points to sig -

I'll get sued by the Brothers Grimm...then I'll team up with Charles Perrault to counter-sue them. Then, of course, we'll all get chased out of the village by a bunch of pitchfork-wielding, torch-carrying villagers.