newbie with questions and info

jamieck

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
My name is Jamie and i just started writing this year. A friend asked me to rhyme a play she had written so that we could preform it at her summer picnic and i said yes. Then i was hooked. She had been telling me for about a year that i was a writer and i should write a book but I didn't see it. Sure i could write spells for whatever is needed and some times poems would just pop out of me but a writer that was serious. Well i started in March and finished in May it is 50,000 words give or take. Everyone who i have let read it liked it and i think it is good but ... does anyone watch American Idol? Well you know during the auditions that all those people to come and try out are having their friends and family tell them that they are great and most can't even carry a tune.. that's what i am afraid of. That it's not really good but that all of my family and friends love it because of their love for me. Is it the same for everyone? Does your next book just automatically come like mine is doing? I see whole series in my head. I even see my book as a movie in my head . Is that normal? or common? And now everywhere i turn there is something about writers. Movies mostly but also books ,tv commercials, ads everywhere. Why have i never noticed them? Well i posted my first chapter yesterday. Its a little long and in my opinion the slowest one of my book. I would have posted my favorite one, chapter six, but I didn't want to give away anything. Plus i would have had to catch everyone up to speed. Plus i really wanted to see if people would want to read the rest from the first chapter. Ok enough of my babbling.
I am very happy to be here and i thank each of you for helping me to learn how to be a great writer.

jamie

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
5-2.gif

Lisa Cox

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hello! And everything you're worried about is indeed normal, don't worry. :)

jamieck

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks that makes me feel a little better.
At least i know that i'm normal in some ways.

jamie

Nickie

Not too old to learn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nickiefleming.com
Hi there, Jamie, and welcome to AW. Sure, to me it's normal that one book follows the other, and I also see the film in my head. I'm still convinced that my first novel (which is up for a re-write and another publisher) would make a great film on the big screen - with Keira Knightley or Scarlett Johansen in the lead female role, and Brad Pitt as the male lead...

Nickie

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Books are like babies. Some pop out unexpectedly, eager for the world to adore them, while others have a protracted and agonizing birth, refusing to appear until you have convinced them they need to arrive.

I'm not normal, so I can't say for sure if you are. :D

Welcome to the Cooler.

roonil_wazlib

Smile.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
earlymorningfog.tumblr.com
:welcome:, Jamie!

It's very normal to see your book as a movie in your head. At least, I hope so! The one I'm working on now has been on repeat in my head for the past two weeks and every time it plays, there's a new scene or a new line. It helps me to flesh out the characters and their world.

jamieck

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone. This is all so new to me and there is so much info here on this site that i have to go back read everything several times before it sinks in and then i can't remember where i saw it when i need it. I can't remember where i posted and how to find them again.

thanks again for all the encouragement
jamie

C.H. Valentino

Wording!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chvalentino.com
Spells?

SHE'S A WITCH! LET'S BURN HER!!!!!

No?

Okay, fine....she can stay....but I'm keeping an eye on her.....

Welcome!

Come hang in SYW- read, learn, crit, post, learn.... it will make you stronger.

CHV

jamieck

Registered
Reaction score
I love the dancing banana's. Please don't burn me i promise to be good.

Jamie

Jim McLain

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome from the frozen north. Remember the only real rule - "Writers write." Keep at it until your fingers bleed and then buy bandaids.