The millionth and one etiquette question

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
I just got an offer, which is cool. But many agents ask that in addition to a query letter, you offer a few sample chapters, or first thirty pages as part of your query package. So my question is this:

When offered representation, should I email those agents and let them know to give them a chance to request the full? I tend to think I'm going to accept the offer, but at the same time, don't want to do anything rude to agents who may have already invested a little time - even if they request sample material from everyone.

Last edited:

Danthia

If all you have out are partials, and you like this agent, putting them on hold is probably a little rude (other opinions may vary). "I like you, but lets see if I can get a better offer before I say yes." If you had other fulls out, then you'd definitely tell them because they've seen your work and liked it enough to want more. It's polite to give them a shot since they put effort in already (and agents understand this). If an agent you're very interested in has asked you for a partial, then you could tell them and ask if they'd like to see the full before you made any decisions.

No agent requests samples from everyone (asking for chapters/pages with every query doesn't count as "requesting". Only stuff they read and personally ask for more on does).