Status
Not open for further replies.

Storyfixer

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyfix.com
Hey fellow newbies, just wanted to share a recent experience here. A few days I ago I started a thread I thought might be interesting, since the issue is a bit polarizing... and I got my head handed to me. Ever been to a costume party -- go with me here -- but nobody told you about the costume part, and you arrived happy and ready to engage, and no matter what you did you felt like an outsider? Oh, and the party was on another planet, forgot to mention that. Well that was me, and it was pretty much my fault -- when I began the thread and stated my opinion, I was jumped and thumped, big time. Plus, I blasphemied the name of a God in this genre, which isn't the way to make new friends here. When I attempted to clarify my position, and defend it, it was preceived as me talking down, which increased the trampling. There was no way out, the beat down continued.

Here's what I learned: humility and respect is key. I came off edgy and too confident, and I was shown the door pretty quickly, and tagged with ballbats as I crawled toward it. There are plenty of experienced and published writers here, and I made the mistake of trying to share my professional experiences, which, as it turned out nobody wanted to hear. At least the way I presented them.

So don't make my mistake. My lesson learned: I'm here to learn and listen share, not to teach (even though that's what I do for a living, and I have a lot to offer in that regard) or preach. In the end it was a gift... but as newbies, fair warning, bring a helmet.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Storyfixer, telling other newbies they need a helmet to negotiate this forum is not only misleading, it's unfair. Your mistake was in presenting your ideas as absolutes--and they're not. With grammar, there's a right and a wrong. With storytelling, there isn't. it's whatever works for the writer.

Plus, the prerequisite for any teacher to be successful are students who want to learn. If you joined Absolute Write in order to teach the thousands of members here how to write, which is what I gathered from the threads you began, then you're not going to meet with a lot of success. Share your insight, by all means, but don't make the mistake of thinking that yours is the only correct one.

And just as an FYI, 'warning' newbies about the site while using a thread ON the site you're warning about is not a smart way to make friends and influence people. Even Stephen King would be aware of that.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I made the mistake of trying to share my professional experiences, which, as it turned out nobody wanted to hear.

I promise you...I do want to hear it. As I am sure others here want to hear it too. I felt talked down to when I read the post that you are talking about. But I would love to hear your advice.

Kris

like motherf&cking Tolstoy
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Storyfixer! I think I saw the beginning of the thread you're talking about. I'm relatively new here myself, but here are my thoughts: this forum is vast, and if you nose around a bit you realize that there are some very wise, aged, experienced, much-published persons who post here. (actually not all of them are aged...some, on the contrary, are rather intimidatingly young.)

I think what I realized is that a certain amount of awe is in order. :)

However, I for one will not hold your sins against you. I like this forum a lot in part because it is pretty tightly moderated... real creeps don't seem to last!

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
It is best to know the rules and expectations. Have you read all the stickies?

Storyfixer

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyfix.com
msclenia... you missed the two key concepts... mia culpa... and sarcasm. Maybe a sense of humor. I dunno, but thanks for proving my point. Read it again -- I get it.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Dude, you're still here. No one showed you the door - if they had, it would have locked behind you.

This is a discussion board, that means people aren't lining up to jump on whatever spambandwagon passes by. There are disagreements - and even *meep* arguments - and in the end, everyone goes onto another topic until another new thread pops up when the thread drops off the main page.

storylady

Registered
Reaction score
Well I did not read the thread but it sounds as if you except you made a mistake and that's the 1st step :)

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Storyfixer,

Welcome to AW. Usually best to test waters before you jump in. We get a lot of enthusiastic newbs, so understand that it's a completely forgivable offense.
Wander around, look at the threads and offer advice to the folks who are asking and need/want the help. If you offer good advice, sound reasoning and respect and kindness you'll get it in return.
Getting a feel for the game does allow you to take the helmet off on occasion (though in some threads we all need full-body pads.)
Again, Welcome. Enthusiasm isn't a bad thing, but from unknown people, it can sometimes be seen as a bad thing. I hope you get the hang of it here and find you like it. We can all learn from each other. I hope we get the opportunity to learn from your experience and in turn are allowed to teach you things. that's why we are all here and it will make us all better writers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yay! Sarcastic mea culpas. I like. Sarcasm is always good.

Personally I think it took guts to start this thread and see nowt offensive in recommending newbies wear a helmet.

thethinker42 runs around this place with an axe so it's for the best.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Once you’re here for a while, Story, folks will get to know you better and will be more apt to warm to your ideas. It’s difficult at first to get your thoughts across when members don’t know you and haven’t heard your voice before.

It’ll take time and a few more posts, but you’ll get the hang of it with more experience. And I can tell you from my own experience that I had the hardest time acclimating to this site, and it took several hundred posts before I felt comfortable sharing my thoughts without fear of reprisals when my opinions were unpopular. By then, however, most people understood where I was coming from and realized I was sincere.

One thing I learned early on here is that people should simply be themselves. There’s no need to affect any personality other than your own, and most folks will accept you eventually, warts and all.

Anyway, good luck to you, and welcome to AW.

Last edited:

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
I second Stew's post.

Many of us have done what you did in forums before - voice strong opinions right off the bat without getting to know the layout of the land first, only to get our heads handed to us faster than you can say "one Mississippi, two Mississippi".

Also seconding what others have said ... there are a lot of good published authors here, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few REALLY good multi-millionaire authors here (posting under aliases). If you had kept a low profile and just observed this board for awhile, you'd have figured this out, and might have worded that particular post accordingly.

You live, learn, and move on. It's water under the bridge now. Welcome to AW. :D

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
So, you still up for some popcorn? I have more than enough.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: Hi Story fixer- so glad you decided to stay. So sorry your first experience here was a little rough- you had the misfortune of picking a topic that has been discussed ( ranted about?) many many times here- there are two camps ( betcha figured that one out) and we defend each side a bit too vigerously:tongue

Glad to have you here and I hope to learn from your experiences.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
And just as an FYI, 'warning' newbies about the site while using a thread ON the site you're warning about is not a smart way to make friends and influence people. Even Stephen King would be aware of that.
What do you mean, even Stephen King? I've never heard of him being especially gormless on those issues.

msclenia... you missed the two key concepts... mia culpa... and sarcasm. Maybe a sense of humor. I dunno, but thanks for proving my point. Read it again -- I get it.
1. Mea culpa.

2. Your ironic delivery didn't work, so you blame the reader, accuse them of having no sense of humor, and say they've proved your point? Tsk. Bad form.

So, are you going to get around to answering some of the questions that are still pending from your last visit?

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I've got a question right now. Why did you suddenly go from doing well-reviewed and quite successful hardcovers at Onyx, to doing paperback originals at Signet? I've spent a lot of time staring at the dates and figures, and I just can't make the story add up.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Heh. If I gotta wear a helmet, I don't see why everyone shouldn't oughta have to wear one.

No worries, Story. Everyone gets a do-over or two. Welcome to the Cooler. And I'm actually really interested in your answer to Hapi's question, too. A lot of what we spend time on here is discussing the ins and outs of how publishing works.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I read the thread in question because I'm a pantster and I'm currently exploring the advantages of outlining. Even with my limited experience (only 3 POD novels, each with different publishers) I was slightly annoyed by the presentation of your theories.

When other members jumped in with their patented tongue in cheek responses, I didn't blink an eye. That's because I got to know these people over the last couple of years and I know where they come from.

Unfortunately, you didn't. You immediately took offense because you didn't know these people. You seemed to think they were upstarts. Sure, some are still learning. Some are in the querying stage. Some have many, many legitimate publications under their belts, and some are NYT Bestsellers.

I lurked on this forum for at least six months before I finally joined. I had a lot to learn, and everyone was really helpful. I occasionally offered advice to newbies, but only from life experience, not from writing experience.

I'm offering this advice to you as a person, not as a writer. God knows I still have a lot to learn in the writing field, but as a mature woman who has lived in a lot of places, had a lot of different experiences with people, and who managed to raise a couple of kids (and a husband), I can only say that you can only benefit from the cameraderie (and occasional flame wars) on this forum.

Be as wise as you want, but don't lose sight of your humility now that you've found it. We can all benefit from your experience as long as it is presented with a open mind.

Welcome, by the way....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.