PDA

View Full Version : Kids playing in the street instead of the playground

rhymegirl
06-18-2009, 01:43 AM
Well, I almost hit a kid with my car about twenty minutes ago.

He was on a skateboard in the middle of the street. I approached slowly, waiting for him to move. He then skateboarded over to the left side of the street picked up a ball which had rolled over there. I assumed he would STAY THERE!

But no. As I'm continuing to drive forward, he skateboards back towards the right side of the street! I had to slam on the brakes, I came so close to hitting him.

What is with these stupid kids? Do they WANT to get hit? Maybe then their parents can sue and get some much-needed money?

We have a playground right around the corner. We have a bike path right around the corner. And yet they want to play in the middle of the street.

I don't get it. This is a busy street. Lots of cars going up and down.

This kid is so lucky I didn't get out of the car and scream at him. Not to mention run him over.

scarletpeaches
06-18-2009, 01:44 AM
Well, I almost hit a kid with my car about twenty minutes ago.

Better luck next time.

rhymegirl
06-18-2009, 01:50 AM
Better luck next time.

Ha ha! Yeah. It's sad really.

I have always liked kids but they're getting worse and worse. Really ballsy.

Their attitude is: I'm playing here. How dare you try to drive on this street!

aadams73
06-18-2009, 01:50 AM
I hear ya. They do the same thing here. My only argument is that at least they're outside playing rather than sitting on their rapidly-expanding asses in front of the T.V..

But they need to play smarter, for sure.

scarletpeaches
06-18-2009, 01:51 AM
Bottom line? I think their parents don't care where they are or what they're doing.

For the same reason, gangs of kids congregate outside shops round here. Some are pushing prams. Siblings? Nah, probably their own kids!

It's ultimately sad that no-one gives enough of a damn to make sure they're safe.

JoeEkaitis
06-18-2009, 01:55 AM
They learn that the street is no place to fear from their parents. I've seen whole families including handholding toddlers and babes-in-arms jaywalking across a busy 4-lane highway instead of walking the extra 50 feet to a signal-controlled crosswalk.

Button
06-18-2009, 01:56 AM
Wow! Reminds me... One time I was going down the street, there were kids playing in the road, and the parents were standing alongside the road, chatting.

The kids move to the side of the road when they see me coming. They see me. I see them, clearly we know how this works. I'm moving slow, as in the speed limit is 35, I'm going 10. Overcautious but still... I didn't want to risk a kid making a mistake.

And then the mom standing there turns and just screams at me "SLOW DOWN!"

>.> Lady... if you're that worried that I'd run over your kids, maybe you should stop letting them play in the road.

WendyNYC
06-18-2009, 02:04 AM
That boy sounds stupid. But...we used to play in the street. Granted, it was a cul-de-sac and there weren't many cars, but we would fly our bikes and skateboards up homemade ramps. That doesn't work so well on grass.

Although someone would yell "Car!" and we'd actually move out of the way.

Fenika
06-18-2009, 02:05 AM
Ha, some of my best childhood memories involved playing on the street with friends. Dodging speeding cars was mearly an annoying interuption.

Adults these days. Sheesh.

JoNightshade
06-18-2009, 02:19 AM
Playing in the street in a quiet neighborhood: okay.

Not getting over when a car comes: stupid.

Intentionally blocking car: no longer my responsibility if I run you over. ;)

I was so mad the other day, when school let out for summer - we have junior high a block over. This stupid group of little wannabe mexican gangstas is walking down the middle of the street on their way home, stalling all the traffic behind them. Y'know, all the parents who are trying to get their friends home. Idiots.

Bmwhtly
06-18-2009, 02:33 AM
some of my best childhood memories involved playing on the street with friends.Did you grow up in a yoghurt commercial?

rhymegirl
06-18-2009, 02:38 AM
When we moved here and my kids were younger, I knew this was a cut-through street, so I never let them play in the street. We have a fenced-in yard so they had to either play in the yard or down the street at the playground. And if they wanted to ride their bikes they had to ride on the bike path. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Matt Willard
06-18-2009, 03:20 AM
I used to play in the street with my friends. To be fair, it was a fairly quiet road, but we already knew that impacting with a car would probably equal some major pain. We weren't that dense.

KTC
06-18-2009, 03:23 AM
That boy sounds stupid. But...we used to play in the street. Granted, it was a cul-de-sac and there weren't many cars, but we would fly our bikes and skateboards up homemade ramps. That doesn't work so well on grass.

I live in a court. Always hockey on the street. My child is one of the players. Kids from the neighbourhood come down to the court to play on our street. The only cars on it are those of the 9 houses in the cul...and 7 of those houses contain retirees who very seldom leave the house. Very safe. Otherwise, I think the kids in our neighbourhood are fairly smart about streetplay.

BenPanced
06-18-2009, 03:35 AM

The intersection by the house where I grew up was perfect for kickball. Each corner was a base and the manhole in the center was the pitcher's mound. Really difficult to not see oncoming cars.

Ken
06-18-2009, 03:42 AM
... my chums and I used to play in the street back when we were lads too. 2-hand-touch football and kick the can were amoung our favs :-) What we used to do though is start out with extra players on each side, so that if somebody got taken out by an on-coming car we'd still have enough players to finish the game.

aadams73
06-18-2009, 03:43 AM
We had an old saw mill up behind our property when I was a kid(5-8). My friends and I would go up there and explore for hours.

It's amazing any of us are still here.

rhymegirl
06-18-2009, 04:08 AM
What we used to do though is start out with extra players on each side, so that if somebody got taken out by an on-coming car we'd still have enough players to finish the game.

:D

Good thinking!

Silver King
06-18-2009, 04:39 AM
I read a story a while back about a man returning home from a business trip. He had taken a cab from the airport and was going through his neighborhood just after dark when the car struck a young boy on a bicycle. It turned out to be the man's son, and the boy died.

I had nightmares for weeks after that happened. In some I was the cab driver, unable to stop before striking the boy; and in others I was the father who leaves the car and finds his son dead in the road.

The street I live on is not well traveled, but I still never allowed my kids to play in the road, or even ride their bikes in the street. Too many lousy drivers out there to risk an accident.

rhymegirl
06-18-2009, 05:03 AM
The street I live on is not well traveled, but I still never allowed my kids to play in the road, or even ride their bikes in the street. Too many lousy drivers out there to risk an accident.

My street is well-traveled and believe me, some people drive really fast on it. It's also a winding street--you can't see what's coming at one end until you get around the curve.

I admit that I sometimes played in the street, too, when I was growing up as some have mentioned. But that was years ago, it was a quiet street, and there were nowhere near as many cars on the road as these days.

When my husband came home I told him what happened. He said I should have rolled down the window and yelled, "Roadkill!" when I drove past the kid.

Silver King
06-18-2009, 05:35 AM
I used to love to drive, but not anymore. Too many people on the road now, too much distractions to draw drivers' attention away from the road, too many young and inexperience assholes who think they know how to drive, too many old and senile assholes who should've given up driving long ago...

Man, I'm starting to sound like I should be the only person out there driving! ;)

rhymegirl
06-18-2009, 05:55 AM
Man, I'm starting to sound like I should be the only person out there driving! ;)

And me.

Just two drivers on the road. Then driving would be a pleasant experience!

Cranky
06-18-2009, 06:03 AM
I used to play on the street all the time, and like Wendy, we'd always yell, "Car!" when one was coming, and we'd all dutifully troop off to the sidewalk or stand still until it passed. We wandered all over the town (a town of less than two thousand), played football in the empty lot across from my house, played kickball and catch in the street until the streetlights came on.

Ah, those were the days.

My kids are not allowed to play in the street, or ride their bikes on the street, and if I catch them doing it, they're grounded. Our street is quiet, for the most part, but there has been more than one instance of someone flying through at over 35 miles per hour, and sometimes people park on both sides of the street, limiting visibility.

I can let my guys play outside until the lightning bugs come out, but they have to be in our yard. Now I'm all nostalgic and sad.

Silver King
06-18-2009, 06:08 AM
And me.

Just two drivers on the road. Then driving would be a pleasant experience!
*Side-swipes Kathy's car while texting, Twittering and checking MySpace and Facebook at the same time. Yells out the window, "Hey, you crazy driver. There's not enough room here for both of us!"

Later, while recovering from whiplash, starts a hugely successful networking site called, MyFace.*

Chumplet
06-18-2009, 06:12 AM
My street was quiet when I was a kid. We played road hockey and 'string' (pretending to pull a rope across the road in the dark and watching the cars slow down -- heh, that was fun), but really, when a car was coming, we moved aside.

I see the teens walking or skating along the road when there's a perfectly good sidwalk right beside them. I lean on my horn, watch them flip me the bird, and flip 'em one right back.

WendyNYC
06-18-2009, 06:17 AM
I used to play on the street all the time, and like Wendy, we'd always yell, "Car!" when one was coming, and we'd all dutifully troop off to the sidewalk or stand still until it passed. We wandered all over the town (a town of less than two thousand), played football in the empty lot across from my house, played kickball and catch in the street until the streetlights came on.

Ah, those were the days.

My kids are not allowed to play in the street, or ride their bikes on the street, and if I catch them doing it, they're grounded. Our street is quiet, for the most part, but there has been more than one instance of someone flying through at over 35 miles per hour, and sometimes people park on both sides of the street, limiting visibility.

I can let my guys play outside until the lightning bugs come out, but they have to be in our yard. Now I'm all nostalgic and sad.

Yeah, me too. I probably wouldn't let my kids play in the street, either, if that even were an option (it doesn't really work that way in Manhattan) and I keep a sharp eye on my kids at all time, but man, I'm glad I grew up in the 70s when moms were semi-neglectful. It was so much more fun.

Cranky
06-18-2009, 06:24 AM
Yeah, me too. I probably wouldn't let my kids play in the street, either, if that even were an option (it doesn't really work that way in Manhattan) and I keep a sharp eye on my kids at all time, but man, I'm glad I grew up in the 70s when moms were semi-neglectful. It was so much more fun.

Heck yeah! Got booted out of the house and told not to come back until dinner time, lol. We used to come up with some novel ways to stay amused, especially in the summer, and we managed to not get into any trouble. Collecting old beer and soda cans for recycling, then buying candy from the proceeds, playing war in the "woods", climbing trees, going swimming and fishing....

Yeah, I'd have a heart attack if my kids were gone all day...I want to be able to look out my window and see them.

rhymegirl
06-18-2009, 06:39 AM
*Side-swipes Kathy's car while texting, Twittering and checking MySpace and Facebook at the same time. Yells out the window, "Hey, you crazy driver. There's not enough room here for both of us!"

*Doesn't even notice Silver King has side-swiped her car because she's watching a video in her car while also blasting the radio, eating a sandwich, talking on her cell phone and painting her nails.*

jodiodi
06-18-2009, 10:23 AM
I also grew up in a quiet neighborhood where almost everyone was related, like a family compound. We'd play until it was so dark we couldn't see each other, then reluctantly go inside. We had no sidewalks and if we played in the street, it had to do with hopscotch. Still, we knew enough to get out of the way when a car came down the road.

Like others, we'd go out in the morning and likely not come back until dark unless it was to go to the bathroom or get something to eat/drink.

Back in my day, we knew how to play without all those fancy video games or expensive equipment ... and WE LIKED IT!!

Neurotic
06-18-2009, 11:35 AM
When I was about 16 and fresh off my learner's license (which meant I was finally allowed to drive without a supervisor in the car) I'd had to race home to pick something up for my netball game. I got back to the courts and had just pulled into the car park's driveway when a little girl darted out from between two parked cars. I managed to stop without hitting her, but it scared the crap out of me. I still get wary when I see children playing on the side of the road, never mind actually on it.

I'm such a wimp. *slinks off*

aadams73
06-18-2009, 11:59 AM
I still get wary when I see children playing on the side of the road, never mind actually on it.

I'm such a wimp. *slinks off*

Believe me, I'm the same way. If I hit someone's child I would never forgive myself.

Some years back, my cousin was pulling out of a gas station. This gas station was at the foot of a small hill. A young girl( around 11 or so) flew over the crest of the hill on her bike, barreling toward him, no safety helmet in sight. He had no time to move forward or scoot back. The girl hit his car, cracked her head on the windshield, and died in hospital. The doctors were quite clear that had she been wearing a helmet she would have lived. My cousin still wrestles with that although there was nothing he could have done.

NeuroFizz
06-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Damn kids...get off my lawn street.

Wayne K
06-18-2009, 07:34 PM
This might be the jumping off point for my new organization.DDAM Drunk Drivers Against Mothers. Our motto: Keep your damn kids off the street.

stormie
06-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Up until a child was kidnapped from the curb of her house on my street seven years ago, kids were always in the middle of the road. One in particular would stare down any car coming his way and not move for an entire minute. Now the kids play in their backyards.

ETA: the little girl was found a day later. The kidnapper dropped her off at the mall.

jennifer75
06-18-2009, 07:41 PM
We have a playground right around the corner. We have a bike path right around the corner. And yet they want to play in the middle of the street.

I think there was a lazy/tired/overworked parent inside saying "stay where I can see you".

I chain mine to a pole in the driveway. ;)

James81
06-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Damn fangled kids doing damn fangled stuff.

spamwarrior
06-18-2009, 11:58 PM
Right now it freaks me out because a lot of cars drive fast around here.

Pagey's_Girl
06-19-2009, 02:20 AM
There's a kid down the street everyone has to watch out for - he used to have a nasty habit of running right into the street without looking, despite repeated scoldings. He's getting a lot better, but he still has his moments. He was going to skip school the other day, but he got caught when his mom had the wind for the final sprint. Yes, she had to chase him, just like in an old Calvin and Hobbes strip. I couldn't believe it when she cleared the rock wall in a single jump...

stormie
06-19-2009, 02:31 AM
I couldn't believe it when she cleared the rock wall in a single jump...
:ROFL: Oh, I'd been known to do that back when my younger son couldn't handle preschool. Then kindergarten. Then first grade....