PDA

View Full Version : Seventeen and Counting

Maryn
06-18-2009, 12:33 AM
Pardon me if I ramble a little. I'm lightly buzzed from a decent sauvignon blanc, which we shared in celebration of my critique group's seventeenth anniversary.

We met in a Writing the Mystery class, all unpublished and not all that skilled. Our focus has shifted from writing short stories in mystery and suspense to writing longer works. (The market shrank severely.) We've been through a lot as a group, from the untimely death of a favorite member to a divisive split which cleaved the group in two, with hard feelings aplenty.

But we're all published now, we all still write, and we had a very productive meeting today--proving we can edit while a wee bit drunk.

Cheers!

Maryn, glad to have an in-person group in addition to AW

Devil Ledbetter
06-18-2009, 01:50 AM
That's truly lovely. I wish I had a local writing group. We only have a scattered, disorganized Nano group and we do no critting.

dgrintalis
06-18-2009, 01:52 AM
That is fantastic, Maryn. You are very lucky.

Perks
06-18-2009, 01:54 AM
Yay! Perfect excuse for a buzz, should one be needed. (A buzz or an excuse, either way.)

Happy Anniversary to your writerly family.

Bmwhtly
06-18-2009, 02:36 AM
Good for you and your group, Mrs Maryn!

aadams73
06-18-2009, 02:45 AM
Very cool, Maryn. Definitely an occasion for some drinks.

stormie
06-18-2009, 03:22 AM
Oh, a glass of wine, good friends, great writing partners...what more could you want? (Well, for me, a wedge of brie....:D)

Congrats on so many years together!

KTC
06-18-2009, 03:24 AM
Oh Maryn...that's wonderful! It gives me hope for the group I formed 4 short years ago. We all just had our anniversary dinner/critique meeting on Monday. It was fabulous.

I'm so happy for you! Keep it alive, crazylady!

Mumut
06-18-2009, 04:27 AM
Well done, Maryn. I occasionaly visit three groups within half an hour's drive of home and I'm a regular at the fourth. As you say, face-to-face contact with other writers is very helpful. Many happy returns of the aniversary.

Stew21
06-18-2009, 04:30 AM
I've not done an in-person writing group, but I've enjoyed hearing about yours for the past 3 years I've been on AW. Congrats on a big anniversary!