PDA

View Full Version : Pelham 123

Jcomp
06-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Saw this the other night. Pretty good, but my God, Tony Scott is just trying WAY too hard as a director. People talk about Michael Bay, but at least he's got fun explosions to go with his Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Direction. Scott just goes overboard with edits and cuts and that awful choppy slow-mo that should be outlawed in all movies and bathing the whole movie in an odd hue for no discernible reason and just...on and on and freaking on.

Denzel was really good in this, no big surprise, except that I like that he wasn't any sort of authority figure or larger than life character here, but clearly a guy in way over his head trying to think on the fly. Travolta was over-the-top in parts, good in others. Turturo was really good in a subdued role.

Overall, quality flick, but I wish it had been helmed by someone along the lines of Michael Mann instead.

maestrowork
06-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Or Spike Lee. I really enjoyed Inside Man.

Jcomp
06-18-2009, 12:31 AM
Or Spike Lee. I really enjoyed Inside Man.

Yeah, I did too. And Spike is fond of some gratuitous camera tricks as well, but it's usually just two or three at most with him, and he's sort of made it a signature thing (the "actor on a trolley while moving past people" affect comes to mind).

Scott just seems to throw any and every hyper-kinetic effect available to him at the screen at indiscriminate moments. Even the music selections he picks are grating...

Medievalist
06-18-2009, 12:41 AM
Pelham 123 and Die Hard were both films cited as defendants in a copyright case I worked on.

I had to watch both of them many many times.

I can't bear to see either now.

Calla Lily
06-18-2009, 06:12 AM
I watched the original last night with Walter Matthau and a stellar cast. Haven't seen the new remake, but did catch the TV-remake with the guy who played the cockroach in Men in Black.

Don't really have any incentive to see Yet Another Remake. I really like Denzel Washington, too. He was the only good thing in the mediocre Deja Vu.

Minor rant: HOLLYWOOD, PLEASE MAKE NEW MOVIES!