PDA

View Full Version : Family Guy and American Dad

Mudcat
06-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Just wondering if people are on the same page as me about these Seth MacFarlane shows.

They seem to have so much in common on the surface (visual style, voices, satirical sensibility) but I find Family Guy to be one of my favorite shows - I can even watch reruns over and over which is unusual for me - and I find American Dad to be almost unwatchable.

Sophia
06-17-2009, 07:45 PM
I liked American Dad a lot when it first started, but the latest season didn't seem to work as well. I think there was a recurring theme of Stan learning some lesson in each episode that gave it a bit of a preachy feel that felt forced.

Family Guy is great; the only minor problem I have with it is that Peter is so unlikeable - but it doesn't stop me watching and enjoying the reruns. :)

BenPanced
06-17-2009, 07:53 PM
I can't stand either one. The long, drawn-out punchlines lose me after the fifteenth repetition, and the way they shoe-horn in current cultural references to make them fit the joke is rather sloppy. (I once was accused of not appreciating the subtle humor on both shows. Yeah, it's subtle, all right. Subtle as a hand grenade.)

roonil_wazlib
06-17-2009, 10:45 PM
I liked Family Guy for awhile, but I think McFarlane needs to let it die at this point. It's not funny anymore and he keeps recycling the same jokes over and over again.

I'm also not looking forward to the spin-off they have planned. Ugh.

American Dad has actually gotten better since it first started, I think. At the beginning I hated it, but maybe since Family Guy went downhill, it's made American Dad look better. Haha

James81
06-17-2009, 10:49 PM
The only humor-like cartoon that I can watch is Southpark. I love that show. Don't really care for any of the others (Simpsons, Family Guy, etc.).

I've never seen American Dad, though, so I have no idea if it even IS a cartoon.

Toothpaste
06-18-2009, 12:44 AM
I find I am more surprised by the quality of jokes in American Dad, but find that Family Guy is more consistent. In American Dad we got the "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" parody, we also got the amazing squirrels reenacting "What's Eating Gilbert Grape". Those are both shockingly good and original ideas.

dancingandflying
06-18-2009, 04:45 AM
I love both shows. At this point, I'm watching American Dad more than Family Guy, just because I've seen all the episodes so many times. The only real reason I watch American Dad, though, is Roger. If it weren't for Roger, I would never watch it. :D

d&f.

dclary
06-18-2009, 06:17 AM
My only comment here is that Lois Griffin is, in every way, the ideal woman. I am so jealous of Peter.

Leah_Michelle
06-18-2009, 09:16 AM
I didn't like American Dad. It seemed way to similar.
Family Guy doesn't get old to me though. The randomness is brilliant.

Delhomeboy
06-18-2009, 04:18 PM
Family Guy FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mudcat
06-18-2009, 05:13 PM
It's like Simpsons/Futurama for me. I find the Simpsons head and shoulders above Futurama. I've seen most episodes of Futurama once and my reaction is, "meh." I have no interest in seeing them again. But I consider The Simpsons a classic of our time.

But there are people out there who swear by Futurama. I guess no one is right or wrong. It's just your sensibility.

Same with Family Guy and American Dad. Family Guy is all about that peculiar off-beat sensibility. American Dad is more like a traditional sitcom.

I am looking forward to the spin-off Cleveland, although (obviously) I am hoping it will be closer to the spirit of Family Guy.

Leah_Michelle
06-19-2009, 04:27 AM
It's like Simpsons/Futurama for me. I find the Simpsons head and shoulders above Futurama. I've seen most episodes of Futurama once and my reaction is, "meh." I have no interest in seeing them again. But I consider The Simpsons a classic of our time.

But there are people out there who swear by Futurama. I guess no one is right or wrong. It's just your sensibility.

Same with Family Guy and American Dad. Family Guy is all about that peculiar off-beat sensibility. American Dad is more like a traditional sitcom.

I love Futurama. That's another one that cracks me up every time. I used to watch Simpsons, but it seemed to get boring to me. I like the more risque humor, I guess.

Zoombie
06-19-2009, 04:31 AM
Fur...trama...meh!?!?!?

Futurama is like, one of the best shows of all time!

Its like the Simpsons, but in space.

And funnier.

And better in every way.

bethany
06-19-2009, 04:47 AM
My husband watches all of these religiously.

We both adore Futurama, and while he likes Family Guy better, I really love American Dad--Roger really makes the show worth watching.