Were You Shy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so my e-book was released today, and a few of my family members and friends are going to buy it. I'm feeling really shy about what they're going to think of it. And what if they don't say anything at all??? Does that mean that they hate it, or they're just too busy to say anything? Or maybe they won't even read it at all?

I've had essays and short stories published before, but somehow this is different.

Anyone else feel the same way when you first published a book or e-book?

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
I cringe at the idea of anyone reading my stuff but plough on regardless. The first time I gave my dad 50 pages that included a kissing scene I couldn't look at him for a week. Everyone I know, knows I write but they don't know I have a website where some of it can be seen!

Putting yourself out there is scary and exciting but it's what we do.

Good luck with the book.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First of all, take pride in your accomplishment. Second, get working (or get back to working) on your next story, realizing that you still have much to learn about writing and feedback from your published story will help provide some direction for that learning. Each story published represents an acknowledgement of progress and a guidepost for further progression. Celebrate and listen. And realize that no matter what you write, someone (other than your Mom) will gush over it and someone will rip it to shreds.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Even the toughest among us must sometimes feel shy about exposing our work to the world. If the writing is true, it contains an essential self that only artists show. That's the magic and the terror of art.

So, there you are, standing naked on a street corner. Will people swoon at your beauty? Or laugh? Or gag? Or worst of all, not even notice you?

People who go around naked have to develop a thick skin. ;)

CGs on your publication. I hope it finds a lot of swooners.

Status
Not open for further replies.