PDA

View Full Version : Any Writers From Aurora Colorado? (Or Thereabouts)

skelly
06-17-2009, 03:10 AM
I got the news today that my company is shutting down the facility where I work on September 30. They are opening a new facility in Aurora Colorado, and I am quite likely going to be offered a position there.

Setting aside for the moment that I am unsure if they will assist me in relocating--which could cause some problems--I am both excited and terrified by the prospects of moving. I grew up in Colorado, so it's not as big a leap as it might be for some, but I lived in mostly rural areas east and northeast of Colorado Springs, and briefly around Ridgeway, south of Montrose.

Any Colorado folks around who could kinda get me up to date on what's going on up in those parts? I really need to bend somebody's ear for a bit as this is a huge decision for me and my family. I've been entrenched here in Oklahoma for the last thirty years of my life. It's frightening to contemplate uprooting everything...but I'm kinda excited by the idea as well.

Anyway, any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks :)

roonil_wazlib
06-17-2009, 05:43 AM
I wish I could help, but I live down here in Colorado Springs. My idea of a fun weekend includes going to Barnes & Noble. Or if I'm in a real wild and crazy mood, I'll drive up to Fairplay to walk through South Park City. Haha.

You might find it much more populated and busy than you remember. I've been here since 1992 and it still boggles my mind when I see how many houses have gone up and how many stores are around now. More roads and much more traffic.

The weather probably isn't what you remember, either. In the past few years it's gone from unpredictable, to predictable but crappy. The draught has been awful - the rain this year hasn't even come close to being enough.

But welcome back to good ole Colorado! :)

skelly
06-17-2009, 06:08 AM
I wish I could help, but I live down here in Colorado Springs. My idea of a fun weekend includes going to Barnes & Noble. Or if I'm in a real wild and crazy mood, I'll drive up to Fairplay to walk through South Park City. Haha.

You might find it much more populated and busy than you remember. I've been here since 1992 and it still boggles my mind when I see how many houses have gone up and how many stores are around now. More roads and much more traffic.

The weather probably isn't what you remember, either. In the past few years it's gone from unpredictable, to predictable but crappy. The draught has been awful - the rain this year hasn't even come close to being enough.

But welcome back to good ole Colorado! :)
Thanks for the input. I need all I can get as I think through this whole thing.

It's weird, but even as long as I have lived here in the flatlands, I have always had a mountain range on the western horizon of my mind. I have always missed that.

The weather that I remember was mostly cold :) If you haven't had the pleasure being driven out into the middle of a pasture to pull a calf in the middle of a blizzard, or having to lay on top of said newborn calf in the back of the truck to keep it alive until until you could get it back to the barn (save the calf, screw the boy), then you haven't really lived.

Or almost died, as the case may be.

:)

Thanks for chiming in roo.

mscelina
06-17-2009, 06:18 AM
Aurora was hit by five tornadoes last week.

What? Just trying to help...

*my publisher lives in Aurora, FYI*

sassandgroove
06-17-2009, 06:21 AM
you might also check theAW regional section for colorado people. good luck

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=157

skelly
06-17-2009, 06:25 AM
Aurora was hit by five tornadoes last week.

What? Just trying to help...

*my publisher lives in Aurora, FYI*
Half the reason I want to leave Oklahoma. Thanks. I'll wave at you from the Jesus House in downtown OKC. Please wave back.

:D

mscelina
06-17-2009, 07:39 AM
Heh. When I was in high school, the Junior Classical League national convention was in Norman, Oklahoma. Obviously, thousands of teenaged latin geeks were housed in the dorms there, which were about ten stories or so. And I remember distinctly how horrified I was to see signs in the hallways that read "WHEN the tornadoes come, use the stairs."

Not IF; WHEN.

Yeah.

Fenika
06-17-2009, 07:42 AM
*starts humming Hotel California*

Though that could go either way :)

roonil_wazlib
06-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the input. I need all I can get as I think through this whole thing.

It's weird, but even as long as I have lived here in the flatlands, I have always had a mountain range on the western horizon of my mind. I have always missed that.

The weather that I remember was mostly cold :) If you haven't had the pleasure being driven out into the middle of a pasture to pull a calf in the middle of a blizzard, or having to lay on top of said newborn calf in the back of the truck to keep it alive until until you could get it back to the barn (save the calf, screw the boy), then you haven't really lived.

Or almost died, as the case may be.

:)

Thanks for chiming in roo.

Well, nothing quite so dramatic, I'm afraid! I did walk home in one of the awful blizzards in 2000. Then again, at the age of 15, walking home in anything but 68 degree weather is a death sentence. Haha.

Like I said, the draught's been terrible. I don't ever remember having summers quite as hot (they've scheduled 80-degree weather all week) or winters quite so short (we didn't even have a blizzard this winter!).

I know what you mean about the mountain range. When I went back to Germany in 2007, I had no idea what direction I was facing without Pikes Peak to guide me. Haha

skelly
06-18-2009, 03:11 AM
I know what you mean about the mountain range. When I went back to Germany in 2007, I had no idea what direction I was facing without Pikes Peak to guide me. Haha
It's funny. Perhaps it is part of the formative process. As long as I have been here in Oklahoma (and God bless her, I love the state), I still can't look west without feeling like something is horribly wrong with the world. In fact, there was a period of time when we were not on a ranch and we actually lived in Colorado Springs. I went to Franklin Elementary school. Wonder if that's still there. I don't remember ever standing around looking at Pike's Peak thinking "Dang, look at that big old mountain over there." It just was. But it must have burned itself into my mind somehow, cause it's been there ever since.

Susie
06-18-2009, 06:19 AM
Wishing you much good luck, skelly. I'm not from around there and no nothing 'bout it, but sending good vibes your way and ((((((HUGS)))))!

skelly
06-18-2009, 06:38 AM
Wishing you much good luck, skelly. I'm not from around there and no nothing 'bout it, but sending good vibes your way and ((((((HUGS)))))!
Thank you for your well-wishes Susie-Q. They help a LOT. Love-ya darlin :)