PDA

View Full Version : Vice versa

scarletpeaches
06-16-2009, 04:58 PM
thread subtitle: in which scarletpeaches and tt42 swap lives.

I'm a rabid anti-outliner; thethinker42 has writing-related-OCD. Trust me, I've seen her Excel files and formulae working out how many words she must write to bring her chapter average up to 1,478.72 words exactly by 11:56pm.

But over the past few months, she's been outlining less and less until this morning she announced:

"I'm binning the ouline for Between the Lines."

:Jaw:

So to show solidarity, I've decided to outline a novel. I don't need to; I can happily write 150k without any pre-planning at all, but I do lots of things I don't need to each day, just to see if I can.

Yes.

tt42 is pantsing it and I'm killing off my creativity by chaining myself to an immovable outline. :D

It'll be interesting to see what this does to my creativity and productivity.

And to tt42's characters.

Could be fun. If there are any other pantser/outliner friend-pairings on AW, why not try it too? :D

Wish us luck. We'll either discover new reservoirs of...something.

Or die in the process.

robeiae
06-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Wait...you're swapping pants, too?

scarletpeaches

Lori doesn't wear pants.

thethinker42
Great. Now it's on AW. That means it's as good as written in blood.

*deep breath* I can do this. I can do this. I can do this.

cray
06-16-2009, 05:01 PM

that's the way i read it too.

scarletpeaches
06-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Great. Now it's on AW. That means it's as good as written in blood.

*deep breath* I can do this. I can do this. I can do this.

I'll even write out of sequence with decimalised chapters if it keeps you happy, my sweet.

thethinker42
06-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Lori doesn't wear pants.

Which means that, once we start this switcheroo, I get to start wearing pants and you have to stop.

thethinker42
06-16-2009, 05:04 PM
I'll even write out of sequence with decimalised chapters if it keeps you happy, my sweet.

Yes, you must. Without an outline, some of my out-of-sequence writing and decimal point chapters will probably go.

Unless of course, I think of something that needs to go into the story earlier on, at which point I will insert a decimalized chapter and - SQUEEEEE!!! I'll be back to my old ways.

robeiae
What kind of pants are we talking about, here?

Elincoln
It's way past April 1st, so it's not an April's Fools prank.

Um, please tell me this is just a Full moon phase and not a sign for the end of the world.

Please. Someone?

*Starts stocking the basement with essentials.*

scarletpeaches
Yes, you must. Without an outline, some of my out-of-sequence writing and decimal point chapters will probably go.

Unless of course, I think of something that needs to go into the story earlier on, at which point I will insert a decimalized chapter and - SQUEEEEE!!! I'll be back to my old ways.

So. When can I expect to take delivery of your husband?

thethinker42
06-16-2009, 05:05 PM
I'm a rabid anti-outliner; thethinker42 has writing-related-OCD. Trust me, I've seen her Excel files and formulae working out how many words she must write to bring her chapter average up to 1,478.72 words exactly by 11:56pm.

In case you don't believe her, I have blogged (http://navywifeadventures.blogspot.com/2009/06/how-ocd-am-i.html) about what an OCD case I am.

thethinker42
06-16-2009, 05:06 PM
What kind of pants are we talking about, here?

Yours.

As soon as I get the last chapter of your current WIP, I'll put him on a plane.

Elincoln
06-16-2009, 05:09 PM

As soon as I get the last chapter of your current WIP, I'll put him on a plane.

I need a drink.

robeiae
06-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Personally, I don't like corduroy pants, very much. Jeans are okay, but it's really hard to find a decent pair for a decent price. Most of the time I wear shorts, anyway. Though, once and a while, I'll wear sweatpants. But then, it's generally hot, here. One time when I was wearing sweatpants, I took the dog for a walk in the rain. Then she shook and got my sweatpants wet. And then I smelled like wet dog. I wish I had been wearing shorts, then. But maybe I should have waited until the rain had stopped before I went on the walk. Of course, the dog didn't want to wait. But that's how dogs can be, sometimes. Oh, I just remembered another time when I was wearing pants. I had to go to this dinner meeting, see...

Ken
06-16-2009, 05:11 PM
... tt42's hubby is going to be in for a pleasant surprise :P

thethinker42
06-16-2009, 05:12 PM

I need a drink.

What? *innocent look*

thethinker42
06-16-2009, 05:13 PM
... tt42's hubby is going to be in for a pleasant surprise.

Surprise? Pfft. He knows the deal.

Adam
06-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Good luck to the pair o' ye!

Be sure to send me wurdz, so I can compare intamalectualleh! :D

Ken
06-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Surprise? Pfft. He knows the deal.

... wow. Lucky fella! :-)

robeiae
06-16-2009, 05:19 PM
...and then by that time, I was too late anyway. But the next day, when I was doing laundry, I found the keys. Guess where. In my pants, of all places. Of course, they were the pants I had put on first and then taken off, since I didn't have the socks to match them. Really, I need to buy some new socks. I can never find ones that I like, though. You know what were good socks? Those kind with the three colored stripes at the top. I'm not sure why they don't make those anymore. Those were good socks. Now, the elastic in socks seems to wear out too easily. That's a problem for me. And sometimes I have the same problem with my underwear. The good thing about underwear is that it really doesn't have to match your pants or even your shoes. But shoes are not really the same thing as pants. I think I'd like to find some new ones. Shoes, I mean, not pants. You know what I'd like to see...

Ken
06-16-2009, 05:22 PM
... lol. I know where you're coming from with that, Rob ;-)

scarletpeaches
06-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Where I come from pants are underwear. As in, knickers.

thethinker42
06-16-2009, 05:24 PM
Where I come from pants are underwear. As in, knickers.

In the more civilized parts of the world, "pants" refers to what you chavs call "trousers".

Vincent
06-16-2009, 05:24 PM
thread subtitle: in which scarletpeaches and tt42 swap lives.

But over the past few months, she's been outlining less and less until this morning she announced:

So to show solidarity, I've decided to outline a novel. I don't need to; I can happily write 150k without any pre-planning at all, but I do lots of things I don't need to each day, just to see if I can.

Yes.

tt42 is pantsing it and I'm killing off my creativity by chaining myself to an immovable outline. :D

It'll be interesting to see what this does to my creativity and productivity.

And to tt42's characters.

Could be fun. If there are any other pantser/outliner friend-pairings on AW, why not try it too? :D

Wish us luck. We'll either discover new reservoirs of...something.

Or die in the process.

It will be a life changing experience.

thethinker42
06-16-2009, 05:26 PM
It will be a life changing experience.

Meeting her on AW was, so it's only fitting that this will be too.

scarletpeaches
06-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Meeting her on AW was, so it's only fitting that this will be too.

I hope you mean that as a compliment. :rant:

Adam
06-16-2009, 05:31 PM
In the more civilized parts of the world, "pants" refers to what you chavs call "trousers".

CHAVS?!?!?!?!

Them's fightin' words, love. :rant:

;)

thethinker42
06-16-2009, 05:31 PM
I hope you mean that as a compliment. :rant:

Yes, it was. :rant:

CHAVS?!?!?!?!

Them's fightin' words, love. :rant:

;)

Deal with it. :D

aadams73
06-16-2009, 06:41 PM
:popcorn:

This should be good. My money is on turnips and dolphins.

*Boom chika squirt squeal*

Adam
06-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Deal with it. :D

*Manly pout.*

scarletpeaches
06-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Announcement:

After some brainstorming with Lori about my male MC, I now have a title.

aadams73
06-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Flipper's Revenge, perchance?

scarletpeaches
06-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Well scissor my turnips, how did you guess?

aadams73
06-16-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm just clever that way. Psychic maybe.

Adam
06-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Yes, psych.... ic.

aadams73
06-16-2009, 07:10 PM
I think I left some letters out: psychotic.

*goes to hide another frozen head*

Adam
06-16-2009, 07:32 PM
I think I left some letters out: psychotic.

*goes to hide another frozen head*

I'll take that one, too.

Going bowling on Thursday.

scarletpeaches
06-16-2009, 07:34 PM
I can't believe you guys are derailing my srs thrd.

Button
06-16-2009, 08:10 PM
I prefer yoga pants.

Button
06-16-2009, 08:11 PM

You expected anything else from this group? ;)

Button
06-16-2009, 08:12 PM
Announcement:

After some brainstorming with Lori about my male MC, I now have a title.

What is the title?

I swear, you writers and your hanging posts of mystery...

scarletpeaches
06-16-2009, 08:27 PM
:D

My title is Plus One, which is entirely relevant given the male MC's job.

So. We have a title, a male MC and he has a job. But no name. Ah well. Those things will come.

tjwriter
06-16-2009, 08:27 PM
I prefer yoga pants.

Yum! Yoga pants. I am addicted to them. Comfy buggers! In fact, if I didn't work, I'd rarely wear anything else.

You crazy kooks have a good time. kthxbai

Button
06-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Man with a job, and it's something to do with Plus One... A mathematician or a sperm donor?

I'm afraid to read of thinker's OCD .2 chapter ideas or I'd be just obsessive enough to try it.

Adam
06-16-2009, 08:33 PM

Sowwy. :(

Ahem. In a similar vein, my latest project will be outlined to within an inch of its life. I fully expect to hate it. :D

bettielee
06-16-2009, 10:13 PM
This is madness. Someone stop it!

What if Scarlett dies as a result of this? Who's going to rush to her aid with an idea out of left field and a wizard that can cure impotency?

Who?!

scarletpeaches
06-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Ha!

If talking to thethinker42 almost every day for a year or more hasn't killed me, outlining a novel won't.

I can do this.

I will do this.

Adam
06-16-2009, 10:42 PM

What if Scarlett dies as a result of this? Who's going to rush to her aid with an idea out of left field and a wizard that can cure impotency?

Who?!

Ooh, me!

I can be VERY left field. :D

bettielee
06-16-2009, 10:55 PM
I will do this.

It's your funereal. (outlines... deadly beasts.... beasts with claws and bright lights for to scare me....) *shiver*

robeiae
06-16-2009, 11:29 PM
I bought some new pants (http://nerdapproved.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/fishnetpants.jpg)! And a shirt...

Adam
06-16-2009, 11:31 PM
I bought some new pants (http://nerdapproved.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/fishnetpants.jpg)! And a shirt...

Damn Rob, you're HOT! :D

aadams73
06-16-2009, 11:39 PM

Srsly, you need a new wife. And your balls back. Because that...that...that...

James is SO gonna be asking you on a date.

robeiae
06-16-2009, 11:47 PM
Got me some Jimmy Choos to go with that outfit, btw...

aadams73
06-16-2009, 11:51 PM
Didn't realize Jimmy Choo made lucite heels (http://www.myshoes.us/images/0135F-ALLURE-602.jpg).

robeiae
06-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Didn't realize Jimmy Choo made lucite heels (http://www.myshoes.us/images/0135F-ALLURE-602.jpg).
What, no goldfish (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NpINLHeo8rM/SHy0ytR9DfI/AAAAAAAAYYs/nwuZXoKOCM4/s400/2.jpg)?

bettielee
06-17-2009, 12:21 AM

That was wrong what you did, making me click that.

Wrong.

aadams73
06-17-2009, 12:24 AM
What, no goldfish (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NpINLHeo8rM/SHy0ytR9DfI/AAAAAAAAYYs/nwuZXoKOCM4/s400/2.jpg)?

No, even you have some class.

Not much, mind you. But some. :D

robeiae
06-17-2009, 12:28 AM
That was wrong what you did, making me click that.

Wrong.
Let me make it up to you (http://www.boneyourmother.com/random/deer_humping_dog.jpg).

Adam
06-17-2009, 12:30 AM
MY EYES!!!

Nobody click that!

robeiae
06-17-2009, 12:32 AM
*tries to delete Azmodeus' post, fails*

Crap.

EVERYONE PUT AZMODEUS ON IGNORE! RIGHT NOW!

bettielee
06-17-2009, 01:04 AM
Let me make it up to you (http://www.boneyourmother.com/random/deer_humping_dog.jpg).

Sick fucker. Literally. I mean that.

Don't report me to a mod! My post is accurate! That deer is sick for doing what he is doing to that dog!

thethinker42
06-17-2009, 02:58 AM
I'm afraid to read of thinker's OCD .2 chapter ideas or I'd be just obsessive enough to try it.

Ooh! Then I shall tell you!!

I outline, but I also write out of sequence. So, I might write chapter 20, then go back and write chapter 7, etc. And at some point, I might realize I need to wedge a scene in between chapter 5 and 6. So...chapter 5.5. (and 5 becomes 5.1 so that Windows Explorer keeps my files in order, since I also separate my chapters into individual files and Windows things "5.5" comes before "5"). Annnnnd if something else needs to happen between THOSE chapters, 5.3...etc.

It can get pretty crazy...especially since I usually write the last chapter early on, and invariably end up adding 10-12 chapters to each outline. My OCD freaks out at the deviation from the outline, but is appeased by the pretty little decimal points.

Who?!

Probably me.

If talking to thethinker42 almost every day for a year or more hasn't killed me, outlining a novel won't.

Given our ability to survive - nay, thrive off of - daily chats with each other, I think we might be approaching immortality.

*tries to delete Azmodeus' post, fails*

Crap.

EVERYONE PUT AZMODEUS ON IGNORE! RIGHT NOW!

Okay, done!! Oh wait, you said "Ignore". Hmm. *wonders if this is reversible*

thethinker42
06-17-2009, 06:48 AM
Day 1: (No, we won't really update this day by day...unless it's what it takes to keep the thread alive and keep robvowels discussing his pants...)

We've agreed upon target word counts (65K minimum), a starting date (July 1, to give us both a chance to wrap up current WIP's), and rules about what constitutes outlining and what doesn't.

Thus far, Scarletpeaches has spent the day outlining Plus One, screaming obscenities in several languages, and has already come up with some wicked cool characters and story twisties. Progress? Indeed.

I have decided to work on something besides Between the Lines, because I already had that story more or less outlined. Even if I tank that outline, it won't work for this particular challenge/experiment/self-mutilation because I could easily fall back on the outline, consciously or otherwise. So, I'm putting together some characters and working out the "inciting incident" for The Invitation. I will name my characters, get an idea of what's going to happen to stir up trouble, and let it all simmer in my brain - without writing any of it down EEK! - until July 1. Then, it's "Chapter 1"...GO.

Now you're up to date on this masochistic challenge that will likely result in both of us being a little closer to the "insane" end of the spectrum.

July 1? The fireworks start.

scarletpeaches
06-17-2009, 06:50 AM
Do we have a finish date? Or are we just going for 50k in a month, then take as long as we need to get to 65k?

Is 65k in a month insanely difficult?

Oh, and...did I mention? I'll be editing a 150k novel at the same time.

Yay for insanitah!

KTC
06-17-2009, 06:51 AM

I'm just dying to know. What the hell is a ouline and why is she binning one? Is it anything like an Oola? Because I never forget an Oola.

scarletpeaches
06-17-2009, 06:52 AM
YARR you spotted my typo. Just for that, I'm putting you in my book as an alcoholic tramp called Kevin...Kevin...Kevin Spaced-out.

thethinker42
06-17-2009, 06:53 AM
Do we have a finish date? Or are we just going for 50k in a month, then take as long as we need to get to 65k?

Is 65k in a month insanely difficult?

Oh, and...did I mention? I'll be editing a 150k novel at the same time.

Yay for insanitah!

I can't handle a DEADLINE on top of all of this madness, woman!!!

July 1. GO. After that? Who knows.

(That said, it usually takes me 2-3 weeks to write a first draft with an outline, so I say 65K by Aug 1)

KTC
06-17-2009, 06:54 AM
YARR you spotted my typo. Just for that, I'm putting you in my book as an alcoholic tramp called Kevin...Kevin...Kevin Spaced-out.

That rocks my world.

Is this thing you guys have going on anything like Freaky Friday? I just loved that movie. Jodie Foster was faboo...which one of you is going to play Jodie's role?

scarletpeaches
06-17-2009, 06:56 AM
I'm becoming the sensible one. Lori's becoming reckless. So I guess that makes her Jodie Foster.

KTC
06-17-2009, 06:58 AM
I'm becoming the sensible one. Lori's becoming reckless. So I guess that makes her Jodie Foster.

Good eye, Captain.

Oh. Oops. Captain Sensible segue.

He said Captain I said what
He said Captain I said what you want

scarletpeaches
06-17-2009, 06:59 AM
You got to have a dream.
If you don't have a dream...
...how you gonna have a dream come true?

thethinker42
06-17-2009, 06:59 AM

So, by becoming more like me, you're becoming "sensible".

I'm not sure if that says more about the way I currently am, or the way you are...it's kind of like finding a penny and saying "I'm richer than I was a minute ago". Or being covered head-to-toe in mud, washing your hands, and saying "Look! I'm cleaner!"

scarletpeaches
06-17-2009, 07:00 AM
No, you're becoming like me (non-outliner) and therefore reckless.

Read properly, ya feckin' eejit.

thethinker42
06-17-2009, 07:02 AM
Fixed the pronouns, since I'm obviously not paying attention today.

KTC
06-17-2009, 07:03 AM
You got to have a dream.
If you don't have a dream...
...how you gonna have a dream come true?

Oh, but the Captain does make me shed a tear or three when he does this one. You do have to have a dream you know...

Talk about the moon floating in the sky
Looking like a lily on a lake
Talk about the bird learning how to fly
Making all the music he can make

scarletpeaches
06-17-2009, 07:04 AM
As a vaguely on-topic comment, the other day while speaking to Lori I said, "God I am so sick of these damn characters!" (Meaning the ones in my current WIP, abbreviated to DAE). "I just want this book to be done, done, DONE!"

And along comes this stupid idea/challenge/way-to-drive-myself-mad.

And now I'm stuck on +1 (my cool new code for Plus One). Reluctant to go back to DAE. But I must finish it.

scarletpeaches
06-17-2009, 07:46 PM
I now have nineteen points on my bullet-list. Aiming for thirty. Hmm, not bad.

I can see a story developing here.

Also, I'm interested in writing out of sequence. Well, if I'm doing things tt42's way I might as well go the whole hog.

We're both dying to start these projects but have other WIPs to finish first. Gah!

Button
06-18-2009, 12:34 AM
This has tempted me to outline the next store that I write.

I've got to outline the stories that I have already written now, though I'll try reversing it whenever I finish all these edits.

scarletpeaches
06-18-2009, 01:16 AM
I'm going to do 2k a day until my current book (DAE) is finished. That gives me a possible 28k before the end of the month. I won't need that many words to finish it - please God! - so I'll be done by the 1st of July and ready to start +1.

Each day, when I've done my 2k words for DAE, I'll allow myself some tinkering with the outline for Plus One.

I love these characters already; I want to tell their story!

I'm beginning to understand how it drives Lori loopy to have an outline, but for whatever reason, no chance to start the actual writing.

She says my male MC has a sexy name. :e2brows:

robeiae
06-18-2009, 02:52 AM
She says my male MC has a sexy name. :e2brows:
What is it? Buck Naked?

scarletpeaches
06-18-2009, 02:52 AM
Robovowels McHandsome.

robeiae
06-18-2009, 03:08 AM
Ooo...that IS sexy.

scarletpeaches
06-18-2009, 03:13 AM
He occasionally wears chocolate pants.

Ambrosia
06-18-2009, 03:29 AM
Fascinating experiment. I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out. :)

thethinker42
06-18-2009, 05:08 AM
It's fun watching SP outline. Welcome to my world, oh anti-outlining one.

Then again, she thinks it's fun watching me twist in the wind while my characters - named, given "roles", but otherwise unplanned - sit in a folder waiting for me to write something because I can't plan anything because then that would be outlining and that's against the rules and I can't do anything until I finish my current WIP and *SCREEEEEEEEEAAAAAM*

*frantically finishes current WIP because this new non-outlined WIP is going to give me fits until I can actually write it and find out what happens*

scarletpeaches
06-19-2009, 04:15 AM
Update: I am now going mad thinking about my male MC. Want...to...start...writing...

scarletpeaches
06-21-2009, 08:25 PM
tt42's nearly finished Breaking the Rules so she'll be winging it before I start my outlined project. 34 plot points, a lot of filth and damn this current WIP and its demands to be completed.

thethinker42
06-23-2009, 12:25 PM
As SP predicted in the last post, I finished Breaking the Rules and started my "winging it" book today.

I'm now 5,000 words into The Best Man (title changed from The Invitation). So far, it's been an interesting ride. I already more or less knew how the first scene would go, and knew that the MC and love interest would meet in the second chapter, but beyond that? Nada.

So far, it's become quite the characterocracy: My antagonist took things in a slightly different direction than I anticipated. I'm learning some interesting tidbits about my male MC and the love interest, who is now on the scene. Then a secondary character showed up and caused the scene to shift gears a bit.

It's a bit nerve-wracking to dive headlong into each scene with no plan whatsoever for the next scene, but so far so good.

And even though I've met my word quota for the day (5K), I have to keep writing because I really need to know what happens next...

Adam
06-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Yaaaaaaaaaay!!!

Go Lori, go! :D

scarletpeaches
06-23-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm also giving serious thought to delaying Plus One for the sake of editing LTC, so it's not left sitting for too long.

El Fizzo is always on at us (rightly) to get books finished, and while I'm proud of myself for finishing the first draft of LTC, it's not finished in the truest sense until I've edited the snot out of it and got it on sub.

So no, Plus One is not being abandoned, merely delayed. While LTC is on sub, I'll work on that and hopefully it'll stop me stressing too much ove possible rejections and MORE LIKELY A BUNCH OF AGENTS CLAMOURING TO REP ME.

*cough*

Adam
06-23-2009, 06:40 PM
Yay for editage!!! :D

Dem agents'll be lining up. ;)

thethinker42
06-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Fine. You edit, I'll write. And when I'm done, having utterly PWNED this non-outlining nonsense, then we'll see how you handle outlining. BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

thethinker42
06-25-2009, 11:47 AM
I made it past 13,000 words. I wrote 5 chapters, start to finish, in sequence, without an outline.

And this morning, while writing chapter 6, I got stuck. It wasn't that the scene itself wasn't working. Rather, I couldn't get a few other scenes out of my head...scenes that I envisioned showing up later in the story, but wasn't sure if/when/how.

Therein lies the main reason, I've discovered, why I outline my stories: I write out of sequence, something that's difficult for me to do unless I've loosely plotted out the story ahead of time. I need to write out of sequence, and in order to do that, I need to outline.

Of course, my outlines are very vague and flexible...nothing like the obsessive outlines I used to use...but they are outlines nonetheless. And, having visited both extremes - completely winging it and completely outlining it - I've figured out where I land on the spectrum, and shall remain there happily.

I am officially bowing out and declaring myself a once-and-future outliner.

Adam
06-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Well done for making it this far, I say. :LilLove:

I know that if I had to write using the opposite method, my book would suffer, and that's really not the point. :)