Status
Not open for further replies.

WriteRead

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
dan-skies.blogspot.com
Mean to ask this for a long time, but no do, lazy me.

Where can I find publishing data for the market ch of the proposal? And I don't mean just the regular data from Books In Print/Bowker or Publisher Weekly, but more like "in yr xxxx, yyyy bks in the genre z were sold" and maybe even more and deeper data about the industry. I read some such data in some articles/bks and I'm mystified about how did the writer get it.

I have some URL's but guess y'all will be able to bring more.

Hope I'm clear what I'm asking :)

Thanks,

Dan

Jaws

Apex Predator
Registered
Reaction score
Loitering just offshore on the Silicon Prairie
Website
scrivenerserror.blogspot.com
Mostly, by pulling numbers out of his/her butt.

Seriously, though, accurate reporting of sales, shipping, etc. numbers in the publishing industry is about as common as are accurate, honest, and completely fulfilled campaign promises. Part is this is that any "industry numbers" that you see have not been corrected for returns… except, maybe, if the "story" is about returns. Another part is that most books (etc.) do not comfortably fit in one, and only one, marketing category. A third part is that publishers willingly lie about sales, both internally and externally (and, in fact, they have substantial disincentives to accuracy).

You're actually far better off looking at non-industry works devoted to particular publishing categories. For example, if you're interested in speculative fiction, try <i>Locus</i>; for "romance," try <i>Romantic Times</i>.

Jaoman

Registered
Reaction score
If you haven't already, try the library. Here in Vancouver, I've seen a lot of statistical data clogging the shelves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.