Idiot Drivers

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I'm a girl, I get to say this, thank you much.

You all mentioned drivers in another thread and it reminded me of this story.

I'm parked in a lot, right in front of a department store, and I'm waiting on someone.

A woman in a red car drives into the lot. She shops for a spot (why do people do this?) and she ends up getting a spot one over and in front of me.

In that same spot was one heavy duty shopping cart.

She rolled in, and hits the cart, and pushes it a ways until she fit into the spot. I could see the look of "oh crap!" on her face. She knows she hit the thing.

I can see the dent from where I am, it's a nice one. (The cart was undamaged.)

And guess what the lady does? Does she get out of her car, move the cart, and check out the damage?

Nope. She gets out of the car, and walks right into the department store.

I might have been living under a rock, but do most people, when they hit something, not stop and look at their car and check for damage? I look for scratch marks when I miss with the key. Is that odd behavior?

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
People are lazy.

She already had a story in her mind of what she would lie about to her husband and or the insurance company.

She's got load of money and when she beats that car up, she'll just buy another.

My wife searches for a closer spot? She could have been parked and in the store before she finds one closer.

I'll say this, woman or not.

They should have never made cell phones.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I might have been living under a rock, but do most people, when they hit something, not stop and look at their car and check for damage? I look for scratch marks when I miss with the key. Is that odd behavior?

I do that too! I not picky about where I park either. I don't mind a bit of a walk at all. I quite like it, actually.

Some people are...odd.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, this reminds me of the time I saw a middle-aged man plow right into an entire line of carts that hadn't yet been pushed inside by the bag-boy (bag-girl?). I will admit that it was dark, and the carts were left in an inconvenient place. The guy kept driving; I'm assuming he was too embarassed to get out of his car :)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Ignorance knows no gender.
I was thinking the same thing. The term, "women drivers," is viewed as insulting and arcane, and refers to a time when females were viewed as the lesser sex behind the wheel. By now, everyone knows that women can be every bit as horrible while driving as men without assuming anything!

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I actually hit shopping carts on purpose. If a cart is in a parking spot, I just pull in slowly and ram it out of the way.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Eh. Some idiot middle-aged white guy on a cell phone came within about a foot of plowing right over top of me in the middle of a crosswalk, when he came wheeling around a left-hand-turn without looking, earlier today.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, I was waiting outside Sears to pick up my mom's lawnmower from the service center when an elderly couple came out. The husband went to "get the car" - which turned out to be a little SUV similar to my mom's parked in the handicapped spot. (He had a tag; the only point being that he was right up front were I could witness the whole thing.) He gets in, finally gets the thing started, guns it back and roars backwards up onto one of the traffic islands, nearly taking out a small tree and a woman in the crosswalk (crosshairs?) He finally gets it back in drive, lurches forward, spends a good five minutes trying to get it straightened out, then guns it again and almost ends up on the sidewalk outside Sears. And here I thought I was bad at backing my mom's SUV up. At least I never took out anything bigger than a stand of dahlias, and that was because I had to steer backwards around a dumpster in our driveway. BTW, the item they were picking up from the loading area? A small weedwhacker.

I'm not sure, but I think it might have been the same guy who took up five - count 'em, FIVE - parking spaces with one Jeep Liberty at Barnes & Noble. He just pulled in at some weird obtuse angle and shut the thing off, then went in.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Eh. Some idiot middle-aged white guy on a cell phone came within about a foot of plowing right over top of me in the middle of a crosswalk, when he came wheeling around a left-hand-turn without looking, earlier today.

I went around the block for another try but you were gone.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I'll try harder...next time. :D

If you have to hit someone, have them hit your rear, not your front end. ;) *isn'tgivingtipstopeopleforbadthingsnope*

It's those man drivers. ;) I've had a friend who was hit once walking to work by a guy in a truck. He asked if she was OK and then he kind of freaked and drove off in his truck.

I was thinking the same thing. The term, "women drivers," is viewed as insulting and arcane, and refers to a time when females were viewed as the lesser sex behind the wheel. By now, everyone knows that women can be every bit as horrible while driving as men without assuming anything!

It is sexist, although I'll gladly shout "Male Driver" at guy drivers along with "Women Drivers" at women drivers who screw up on the road... yelling from the confines of my car with the windows rolled up of course.

I do that too! I not picky about where I park either. I don't mind a bit of a walk at all. I quite like it, actually.

Some people are...odd.

It's always faster than shopping for parking spots. I've experience with this. I should do a study some day.

Actually, this reminds me of the time I saw a middle-aged man plow right into an entire line of carts that hadn't yet been pushed inside by the bag-boy (bag-girl?). I will admit that it was dark, and the carts were left in an inconvenient place. The guy kept driving; I'm assuming he was too embarassed to get out of his car :)

True. If people are watching, some might be too embarrassed. I thought that was the lady's case. And since it wasn't a car or someone she hit, probably didn't want to hassle with it.

Ignorance knows no gender.

But genders know ignorance very, very well.

My wife searches for a closer spot? She could have been parked and in the store before she finds one closer.

My mom shops for spots. It always irked me. When I moved to New Mexico for a while, people had a habit of leaving carts in anywhere BUT the corrals. If you parked where other people were near the front, you'll walk back out with carts surrounding your car.

I even saw people stopping to put their carts right behind cars, cars that were one spot over from the corral.

I learned to park well away from people, way in the back and just walk.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On waiting (shopping) for parking spaces.

I work out at a local Gold's Gym four to five times a week. At busy times, people will idle their car for several minutes waiting for a parking place to open up (sometimes) just twenty or thirty feet closer to the gym doors...so they can go in an work out...they don't want to walk that extra twenty feet...to go in and work out...because it's not a machine with those cool calorie counters, I guess. (And no gender bias in this idiotic behavior).

Fokker Aeroplanbau

Registered
Reaction score
Website
negationcorner.blogspot.com

Haha, I always imagined doing that. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
On waiting (shopping) for parking spaces.

I work out at a local Gold's Gym four to five times a week. At busy times, people will idle their car for several minutes waiting for a parking place to open up (sometimes) just twenty or thirty feet closer to the gym doors...so they can go in an work out...they don't want to walk that extra twenty feet...to go in and work out...because it's not a machine with those cool calorie counters, I guess. (And no gender bias in this idiotic behavior).

This is downright a winner. That's amazing.

It did always drive me crazy, too, when people will see people loading up their cars, and then sit and wait for them to finish so they can take their spot. Meanwhile, people behind them trying to get out, or simply lined up and can't get around, and need to wait on them.

I always figured I was a lazy person, but maybe it is I'm too impatient to understand the myth of the closest parking spot.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
On a recent jaunt to Wal-Mart, as I was leaving the store, I noticed a older man unloading his shopping cart into his truck.

When he was done, he didn't return the cart to the corral. Ok, I see that all the time. What he did do was SHOVE the cart. The end result was the cart crashing into the vehicle parked beside him. There was damage. It was quite a shove.

He looked up and noticed me crossing the parking lot, gave me a smirk, daring me to do something about it.

So I did. I wrote down his plate number and a description of him and his vehicle, waited until the guy who owned the other vehicle returned(just a few short minutes). He was hopping mad, but also guess what? He was a cop.

Awesome. :D Apparently down here that classifies as vandalism. Which meant I learned something new that day.

It pays to be courteous and treat people's property how you'd like them to treat yours.

Last edited:

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I always figured I was a lazy person, but maybe it is I'm too impatient to understand the myth of the closest parking spot.

In a huge lot, when you know you won't be leaving until well after dark and walking across a deserted lot - I could see wanting a spot very close to the front then. Otherwise, I'd rather park out a bit - it also makes it easier to back safely out of a space because there's less foot and vehicle traffic.

Speaking of middle-aged men and cars - this happened back when I was working at IBM. It was a really nice warm afternoon, one of the first really warm days of the year, and I was waiting in line at the light to leave for the day. Leaving the site, it was a right turn out to a light at a t-stop, with a left and right turn lane. There was about a quarter-mile stretch of road - two lanes, with several small but congested business parks and a side street along the way - leading up to the very busy three-lane main road. Well, as I was waiting in the left turn lane, I spied a guy in a black BMW roadster ahead of me revving and making evil eyes with a guy in a red Mustang convertable in the right hand lane. Mind you, we're talking about middle-aged men here, not teenagers. Well, the light changed - and these two both turned left and rocketed up the quarter-mile stretch at about ninety miles an hour. Yes. Dragging. Big time. They reached the turn onto the main road just as the light turned yellow and roared on through, both going right. I reached it about ten or fifteen seconds later, just as I got the green turn arrow - and just in time to see the police car that had been waiting in the far right straight-ahead lane hand a U-turn and roar down the road, lights on and siren screaming. That car went after the 'Stang. I pulled up to the light at the country club and there was Mr. Beemer-in-the-Beemer, looking around at me in utter terror (I think he mistook my black car for a very dark blue police car.) Well, the arrow turned green, he turned into the country club with a couple of other cars - and a cop car came up, also with lights and siren, and turned in after him. Busted. The 'Stang was pulled over about a mile down the road, and that cop did NOT look happy...

Don't know if it was spring fever or a full moon or what....

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
the foot weighs
heavy on the pedal
of the roadster of life
when the price of
fuel gets in the 40s
and 50s

and the car runs only
on testosterone

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Huh. I thought the thread title looked off somehow...

roonil_wazlib

Smile.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
earlymorningfog.tumblr.com
Perfect timing for this thread. Haha.

I was driving home yesterday during rush hour. I drive down this relatively busy street (Nevada) for about five minutes to get to the quieter side streets. The weather's nice, so I have my windows rolled down. As I turn onto Nevada, I find myself stuck behind someone going nearly ten miles under the speed limit (I'm impatient by 5PM) and her car is giving off this awful stench. So I pull into the lane next to her, get up to the speed limit (not even over the speed limit, mind), signal and pull around her.

Apparently, I'd somehow offended this woman and she was determined to prove it to me by playing bumper cars in the middle of traffic.

I look back and find her waving at me, shouting, phone glued to her ear, cigarette between her fingers. She pulls around me, speeds up to the same speed as me and winds up bumping into my car in her efforts to prove just how angry I've made her.

Hm.

Luckily, I had just reached the turn lane to pull away from Nevada. She pulled into the right turn lane to get around both lanes of traffic and I thanked dog that I could finally get to a quiet street.

No damage to my car (I would have cried if anyone damaged my baby), but my goodness, I have never seen someone so angry or offended that someone else had moved around them. I hadn't even cut her off (I could understand it if I'd forced her to slam on her brakes, but I was a car length ahead of her when I moved over)!

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
It was probably thought too sexist, but I don't mind. I meant it in humor and I think they know. I wouldn't want to offend anyone.

Fizz, I like that poem.
aadams, I would have done the exact same thing.
Pagey's Girl, you've got to admit, it's one heck of a story to tell the other boys at the country club. ;)

I'm a bad influence for other drivers. I probably take a lot of risks myself, although nothing that would harm others and within confines of the law (mostly).

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
Apparently, I'd somehow offended this woman and she was determined to prove it to me by playing bumper cars in the middle of traffic.

She's a dangerous driver, you should have reported her. She could have seriously damaged your car or injured you, or other people as well.

I've had people become enraged because I passed them. Once a semi did this to me. He was going slow, I pulled around and I was a few car lengths ahead when I pulled in front of him.

He got mad, kept on his horn as he sped up, pulled around and then got in front of me.

Although the ones that really get me crazy are the ones that speed up to pull in front of me and then slow down to slower than I was driving.

roonil_wazlib

Smile.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
earlymorningfog.tumblr.com
She's a dangerous driver, you should have reported her. She could have seriously damaged your car or injured you, or other people as well.

Believe me, I tried to get a good look at her license plate. Unfortunately, she'd gone up to about 60mph and zipped around other cars before I could get past the first two numbers. I don't know the make of cars just by looking at them, either, so I would have been useless to the police ("Um . . . white car doing down Nevada?"). I just hope if she gets into an accident, it's car vs. pole, rather than car vs. car or car vs. pedestrian.

Although the ones that really get me crazy are the ones that speed up to pull in front of me and then slow down to slower than I was driving.

I see people like that all the time. It seems like the minute it hits 5PM, everyone's in a hurry to be the first car in the lane and then they decide it's best to go five/ten under the speed limit.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com

Some people are...odd.

I try to find parking spots by how close they are to the cart return, not the door. It's easier to load the groceries, load up the kids and put the cart away if I don't actually have to leave the van. Not to mention, you most often get a few extra inches for parking because those returns aren't as big as the parking spaces.

I'm a damn good woman driver and I always remember to fill my turn signal fluid!

There's construction right by where I work and they had to install extra stoplights. Also, it clogs traffic some during rush hour. I don't know how many people make a left turn in one of the intersections without looking ahead only to find they have nowhere left to go. So then they block traffic when the light changes. Annoying as all get out.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It was a nice summer day and I decided to wait at the car for my grandparents to run into the grocery store. I'm sitting on the back bumper when this little twerp with his sports car pulls into a parking spot, a spot opens up three closer to the door, he backs out and zips to that spot. A space opens up one closer to the store he zips over to that spot. IDIOT

But nothing tops the dumb b**** who used to work in the office downstairs from my old job. We had a private parking lot in the back of the building. She used to run out and move her car over every time someone pulled out so she could be one space closer to her office door. One day she did it five times. You could only park six cars in the lot.