PDA

View Full Version : LOTRO

dclary
06-16-2009, 01:22 AM
(Lord of the Rings Online)

My character, Spamwise Hamgee, just hit 59th level, down in the bowels of Moria this weekend. He was quite pleased with himself, and had some bread and jam to celebrate.

What I *adore* about this game, is how much effort the designers put into building an entire game universe whose story takes place during, and intermeshes nearly seamlessly with the story of the Lord of the Rings.

When you first arrive at Bree, the ranger Strider is there. After a few adventures, you return, to find he's gone on ahead, on a mission of great importance.

At the top of Weathertop, you find evidence of a recent battle.

At Rivendell, you meet Boromir, Legolas, Gimli and help them with tasks that must be completed before they can set out on their journey, and then you watch the fellowship depart. It's stunning.

Spamwise arrived at Moria to find that the fellowship had already passed through, and now a company of dwarves had arrived to push back the orc threat and retake Moria.

The bridge of Khazad-dum is broken.

There is a charred, broken corpse of a balrog on the mountain peaks.

The game is truly amazing. At super-high quality graphics resolution, you feel you're walking through a painting. At all times, you feel as though you're truly living within Middle Earth.

This is best true roleplaying game I've ever encountered.

Zoombie
06-16-2009, 01:26 AM
Huh!

whistlelock
06-16-2009, 02:57 AM
Yes, it does a great job with the main quest series.

God help you if you want to do anything other than those main quests. Or you want to solo them. When they say fellowship level, they ain't joking.

I got to around 28th level with my elf champion and to a new set of maps- couldn't do the fellowship quests, of course way too low level, when I went to go pick up all the other ones- yeah, go kill 36 more boars.

I had just finished a series of that exact quest- kill X boars. And, now at 28th level they can't think of something better to do than kill more of the damn things?

I logged out and canceled my account on the spot. Couldn't take it anymore.

Oh, and the crafting system is nice. It's a good touch that all the best items in the game can only be made by players.

BigWords
06-16-2009, 02:57 AM
AAAAaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhh............. :Headbang:

Just... no. Please.

LotR-Online hates my computer, same as pretty much every other big fantasy MMO. Please stop tormenting me with how brilliant it is.

As soon as I stick a new graphics card, new sound card, extra RAM and a new hard drive I might be able to get the rig to run Asteroids smoothly. ATM I'm stuck with the old laptop (ancient VAIO which has Win98), the new Medion (on a web dongle, so no fun for games) or the AppleMac (that absolutely refuses anything that even feels like an MMO).

whistlelock
06-16-2009, 02:59 AM
AAAAaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhh............. :Headbang:

Just... no. Please.

LotR-Online hates my computer, same as pretty much every other big fantasy MMO. Please stop tormenting me with how brilliant it is.

As soon as I stick a new graphics card, new sound card, extra RAM and a new hard drive I might be able to get the rig to run Asteroids smoothly. ATM I'm stuck with the old laptop (ancient VAIO which has Win98), the new Medion (on a web dongle, so no fun for games) or the AppleMac (that absolutely refuses anything that even feels like an MMO).

I suggest learning how to build your own pc's. You save a lot of cash that way.

BigWords
06-16-2009, 03:14 AM
I've built a few in my time, but I always have to cannibalize them for other computers. I'm ready to buy an Alienware laptop as soon as I win the lottery. :D

dclary
06-16-2009, 03:24 AM
Then I won't mention that LOTRO just introduced support for the 3-D modeling engine that nVidia now provides, Big Words.

Nothing could kill your day more than knowing you could be playing the best game ever in THREE-D!!!!!

Whistle -- they addressed a lot of those problems, but yeah, that's unfortunately a weakness of most of the mmo's out there.

What I like about LOTRO is that there are a TON of quests that have nothing to do with killing or collecting.

Soloing it's possible to get to 20th level without ever once killing another creature.

There are quests to travel to dwarven encampments and drink a toast to a fallen warrior with his friends.

Deliver mail in the Shire without nosey hobbits spotting you.

Set a trap and drop a pile of rocks on a big orc's head.

All games have their faults. This one goes out of its way to rise above them, in my opinion.

BigWords
06-16-2009, 03:28 AM
My credit card is crying in agony at the thoughts currently whizzing through my brain right now. You've gotten the poor little thing all worried about my uncontrollable spending habits.

whistlelock
06-16-2009, 09:36 AM
All games have their faults. This one goes out of its way to rise above them, in my opinion.
It does- I frequently recommend this game to the Warcrack addicts looking to kick the habit. It's just not the game for me.

Marcus
06-19-2009, 05:39 AM
me and the wife played LOTRO, then she got a real job and just didn't have time for it.

I've lost my love for Online games.... :(

When warhammer 40k online comes out in 2011, I plan on building a 5 grand PC purpose built just to impose my will on the pitiful masses on that game!

HUGE warhammer 40k fan. If your into epic science fiction/space opera NOTHING beets warhammer 40k
Star trek can't hold a candle to it. Star wars wouldn't last an hour against space marines. Weber's Honorverse would just roll over and die in the face of a tyranid onslaught!

dclary
06-19-2009, 03:54 PM
I can't afford to go buy the 5th edition rules, so I'm a second-class citizen, my space wolves just hanging out, hoping another archaic unit wanders by, eager to die.

dclary
06-24-2009, 10:37 PM
60th level bay-be. Now to work on my supreme master jewelcrafting.

freeman801
07-02-2009, 10:06 PM
What server are you on dclary?

I play on Landroval with a role playing kinship. Fun times!

dclary
07-22-2009, 02:14 AM
What server are you on dclary?

I play on Landroval with a role playing kinship. Fun times!

Arkenstone.

I would move to an RP kinship but not sure I want to invest the time to start over. Even though I can get to 20th level in ~2 hours, solo (with about 2 hours of prep time from other characters).

LOG
07-25-2009, 07:28 PM
I can't play it ATM($$), in the future maybe.

CazzieSmith
08-01-2009, 04:26 PM
I love lotro! My main is a 60 hobbit burglar... actually all my characters are hobbits because (obviously!) they rock the hardest ;)

I've just started playing wow because my husband begged me to. Got to say it's just not the same. It's nice playing with my other half for a change... but no hobbits! No Shire! No Party Tree!! Gah!

Back to levelling the hobbit warden methinks...

LOG
08-01-2009, 09:40 PM
I've just started playing wow because my husband begged me to. Got to say it's just not the same. It's nice playing with my other half for a change... but no hobbits! No Shire! No Party Tree!! Gah!
No plagiarism, shocking, I know >.>

Seriously, it doesn't get any good till the end-levels, thankfully Blizz has made it much easier recently, especially if you start with a Death Knight.

JoshW
08-02-2009, 01:09 AM
Yay! I've been playing LOTRO for 2 years now, and I'm still pretty much in love with it!

Level 60 hobbit burglar
Level 60 man captain
Level 50 man Loremaster
and 2 other toons that I monkey around with from time to time...

Yeah, I've spent a lot of time in that game...

JoshW
08-02-2009, 01:34 AM
I had just finished a series of that exact quest- kill X boars. And, now at 28th level they can't think of something better to do than kill more of the damn things?

Yes, LOTRO has no shortage of kill X amount of such-and-such a critter quests. But that's sort of a staple of MMOs right now.

LOTRO also has some incredibly creative/fun quests.

In the Shire, there is a farmer complaining about a black rider that plagues his crops at night... so you investigate to find a little hobbit sneaking around in a black cloak.

There is a hobbit who can't get rid of a ghost in his library, so eventually you go in and chase the ghost out... which happens to be a squirrel

You will chase down bad pies and deliver mail.

In Rivendell, you will walk with Frodo while he complains about how hard his life is (waaaah waaaah), and you'll later get to watch the Fellowship depart from Rivendell.

You will have to find Golem's cave inside of Goblin-Town so Bilbo can write an accurate description for his book.

In Moria you will have to solve riddles.

In Lothlorien you will scold drunk elves and sing to trees.

And so on...

There is a lot of unique stuff to do, and you will find yourself completely emerged in Middle-Earth. When the game is at its best, it really knocks you off your feet!

jodiodi
08-02-2009, 05:28 AM
I've never played an online RPG. Heck, I don't even play console RPGs. They look waaaaaaaay too confusing and from what I've seen, nothing really happens much. Maybe I haven't been exposed to the right ones. I think the only ones I've seen involved a lot of point and click and buying stuff.

Am I missing something?

Forbidden Snowflake
08-02-2009, 05:33 AM
I used to be a big fan of WOW. Then LOTRO came, I tried it out and I kind of found it to rip off WOW and not be worth playing.

I stopped playing LOTRO.

Got incredibly bored with WOW.

Now I feel like playing one of those two again but I can only afford one, so now I wonder which one...

yes, this is my biggest problem at the moment :D

LOG
08-02-2009, 10:42 AM
@jodiodi: Yes, you are.
@Snowflake: There are alot of MMO's coming out now that aren't like WoW or LOTRO, two bigs one being looked forward to right now are Champions Online and Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Forbidden Snowflake
08-02-2009, 03:15 PM
@jodiodi: Yes, you are.
@Snowflake: There are alot of MMO's coming out now that aren't like WoW or LOTRO, two bigs one being looked forward to right now are Champions Online and Star Wars: The Old Republic.

My problem: Whenever I want to uninstall WOW, I'm like: NO! NO! NO! Love. Must play. Must game. NOW.

And whenever I come across the second LOTRO. I am like: YES. Must buy.

And I wondered if I should go back to LOTRO because I only played LOTRO for a small time and invested a lot into WOW.

Now, I need to check out the two you pointed out to me. Thank you!

jodiodi
08-02-2009, 04:55 PM
I just don't work and play well with others. Plus, those online games look incredibly dull. The ones I've seen all go like: Tell your character to move over here. Then you see the little dots move over there, like herds of migraging wildebeasts. Then your character encounters someone and you make them say something, then they stand there bouncing until the other person says something at which time, that character stands there bouncing. Not enough real-time action for me.

icerose
08-02-2009, 10:10 PM
I played it before any expansion packs were out, I loved it, I played with my husband. When we both hit fifty we realized the game was severely underdeveloped because there was absolutely nothing to do...at all.

It has a pretty good world interaction and crafting and game play, but at the time it just was not completed, the pvp was horrible as anyone at any level could go in and be a lvl 50 monster, so everyone was a monster and there were spies and all that crap.

I prefer star wars decorating to Lotro, as the decorating is severely limited, as well as the travel in star was, probably superior to any others, too bad they have a nasty habit of changing the entire game every few weeks.

So we're currently shifting between conan and warcraft.

The music system in lotro though is by and far unique.

LOG
07-06-2010, 08:43 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! (http://www.lotro.com/news/709-announcing-the-lord-of-the-rings-onlines-move-to-free-to-play-)

I've been waiting for this ever since DDO went F2P.

LOG
07-17-2010, 08:52 PM
I have my beta account for this. So I'm currently in 3 betas and 1 alpha still. Good grief.

LOG
09-12-2010, 11:10 AM
In case you haven't gotten the e-mail yet. (http://files.g4tv.com/videoDB/048/553/video48553/tr_lotro_20100909_free_to_play_ad_HD_iphone.mp4)

JemmaP
09-12-2010, 11:52 AM
I also play this LOTRO of which you speak! Albeit sporadically, given my work schedule and writing and whatnot. I've got a lifetime account, which is great because I can ignore it for months and then log back in and I don't feel like I've been wasting money the whole time.

I have a level 52 hunter on Vilya and assorted wee alts of various classes - my second highest is a captain at 20. Since I've played since beta, this should give an idea of how slow I level. :D Anyway I have fun with it. Really like the free to play - the store is fun, I bought pretty dresses and storage space, and there are heaps of new players all over.

It's good stuff.

AlexPiper
09-13-2010, 01:50 AM
Bit of a traffic jam in the login queues, though...

LOG
09-13-2010, 04:17 AM
Bit of a traffic jam in the login queues, though...

This F2P thing is going pretty well for Turbine it seems.

efkelley
09-14-2010, 01:02 AM
Okay, these guys are CRACK MASTERS!

The Skirmish combats are a lot of fun. And so, naturally, they only give you TWO of them for free.

Sort of wish they'd clean up the skills a bit. My Loremaster has a few that seem to do close to the same thing.

And only FIVE auction house listings on Premium?? BASTARDS!

I really like that they put in an instance queue. I'll have to try it this evening and see if it's as slick as Warcraft's.

efkelley
09-15-2010, 01:58 AM
Oh, AND turns out you get Eriador, the Shire, and Bree-land for free. All other content is purchasable on a zone-by-zone basis.

BASTARDS!

Fortunately, it's an account unlock, and all your characters can earn Turbine Points. Pretty sure that by the time I've done all the deeds and quests in all three zones, I'll have more than enough points to unlock Lone Lands at the very least. I'll also probably be low 30's, thus making Lone-Lands facerollingly easy.

JemmaP
09-15-2010, 02:09 AM
If you were going to pick between North Downs and Lone-lands for unlocking, I'd go with North Downs -- that way you get Esteldin, Fornost, Kingsfell, all of those troll encampments south of Esteldin, etc. Especially if you'll be 30 by the time you get there.

They did redo the Lone Lands fairly recently but it's still Big Brown & Boring, from what I can tell. :P And I -hate- Garth Agarwen. A lot. Hate hate hate.

Plus, Esteldin has badass forges and crafting guilds. It is to love. I pop back there often even though I'm 50+, because it's a good teleport hub for things.

efkelley
09-16-2010, 11:43 PM
North Downs it is then. Thanks!

efkelley
09-16-2010, 11:57 PM
So, I got into an argument (on the internet! gasp!) with a guy in /advice-Breeland about whether Warcraft raids were easy-mode compared to LOTRO. The wow-bashing gets a bit thick there, and usually I care not, but it was especially flavorful yesterday on the topic of raiding.

I said 'Look, do you have any idea how many things you have to keep track of in the top raids?'

He countered with 'Do you have any idea how many things you have to keep track of in a single instance here?'

Okay, fair's fair, I didn't really. I mean I'd only stuck a toe into the Great Barrows long ago. So he brought out his low 20's guardian and we put a group together. Myself, another loremaster, an archer, and two rune-keepers.

I was pretty confident that I'd have no real trouble. I mean, this is the first instance right? Ragefire Chasm and Deadmines type stuff right?

Wrong.

Most of the fights against 2 or 3 enemies weren't so bad, though the archer loved his Rain of Arrows, or whatever it is, way too much. The Dead are only mesmerized by my pretty light show. Damage breaks them out.

Then we got to opening the door for the boss. You have to kill ten of these little barrow lights within about a minute or so. Insane, especially with the rune keeper we had designated 'healer' just standing there topping up the little scratches and nicks the barrow lights inflict. (dude, just shoot, okay? We've got bandaids).

We finally finished that and then had the boss himself. So I had to, not necessarily in this order:

Keep people topped off with power
Drain power from the bad guy to keep myself topped
CC the adds (living or dead - different CC for each!)
Debuff the adds (different debuff for ranged vs melee)
Maintain a ward on the floor
Wrangle my raven (especially using distraction on ranged targets)
Emergency spot-heal
Cure a power-draining disease
Do damage without breaking my own CC

Jeebus.

In the end I told the guy 'Okay, you may have a point.'

On the other hand, he was damned impressed with my performance, and I told him that Warcraft taught me most of what I know. He then conceded that maybe he was a little over-critical in his estimation of Warcraft raids.

We parted as friends.

LOG
09-17-2010, 12:11 AM
Do you play DPS in WoW raids a lot?

efkelley
09-17-2010, 01:30 AM
These days I'm a mage wow-side. I've tanked and healed as well though.

DPS has generally an easier time of things, but I know the healing side too. That's probably the most hectic, especially as a pally.

nahalwi
09-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Someone needs to do some more heroics/achievements :)

But yeah, a lot of WoW has gone into easy mode for anything except the top raids really. 5m's are easy as cake. And gear is crazy easy to get for anyone. I hate the whole GS comparison cause there's so many people who have the GS but don't know fights or how to listen. I am hoping with the expansion that some of that will change. It seems like their going back to some of the BC ways of CC and some other stuff early on, and the gear progression. But, we'll see.

efkelley
09-17-2010, 10:10 PM
By all reports level 85 heroics will be about BC level in difficulty. ... So naturally Blizz will nerf it into oblivion.

LOG
09-17-2010, 11:36 PM
By all reports level 85 heroics will be about BC level in difficulty. ... So naturally Blizz will nerf it into oblivion.

It's called heroic mode.

R.M. Watts
09-19-2010, 03:40 AM

I healed all through WotLK heroics. Easy as hell once properly geared.

LOG
10-13-2010, 07:14 AM
LOTRO revenue doubles after F2P. (http://www.massively.com/2010/10/08/gdco-2010-lotros-revenues-double-as-turbine-lays-out-a-promisi/)

They are killing with this formula.

efkelley
10-14-2010, 12:05 AM
I healed all through WotLK heroics. Easy as hell once properly geared.

Pretty much my point. BC heroics were something to be proud of. But when pugging the Lich King is possible, I feel they've turned the difficulty down to zero.

LOG
10-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Pretty much my point. BC heroics were something to be proud of. But when pugging the Lich King is possible, I feel they've turned the difficulty down to zero.
I've never heard of anyone pugging LK.
Besides, which would you prefer, instances and raid that only a few people could get through regularly, or ones where everyone had a good shot at succeeding?

efkelley
10-15-2010, 04:28 AM
My server has regular 10 and 25 man ICC pugs. Just hang out at a major city and watch general or trade chat. You get more of them mid-week than weekends. By Sunday most everyone is on a timer, so get your runs in earlier. It's quite insane, and just sticks in my craw that this is possible.

I have to admit, LK is not what you'd call a hard fight. He's definitely no Vaelstrasz.

I would like for everyone to see the content. But I'd like to be challenged. I thought that's what heroics were for (and in BC that's the function they served), but everyone also wants to see all the heroic content because that's where the good loot is. Soooo annoying.

I believe 10 man content is the perfect happy medium. Make the normal stuff puggable, but make the heroics considerably more difficult with commensurate rewards. Eliminate 25 man stuff entirely. That's what I'd do.

LOG
10-15-2010, 06:37 AM
Pugging ICC and pugging the actual LK are two very different things.

efkelley
10-15-2010, 08:05 AM
Not on Azjol-Nerub, I'm afraid. It's true that I've never pugged him myself, but a few guildies' alts have. We made sure they weren't in the guild though, to preserve our 10-man strict rating (#1 on the server! Go ePeen!)

LK has two big tricks, both of which require careful attention and a tiny amount of coordination. If you've ever gotten through phase 2, then you're pretty much golden. You could still conceivably lose if your tanks fumble a handoff, but even then enough healing will fix it.

Vaelstrasz required strict positioning of all classes, threat handoffs (no taunts and this was before threat meters were at all reliable), threat management by all DPS, raid-wide healing (back when priests only had one AE heal), and careful attention to one's own debuffs (back when there were no raid warnings). On Bloodhoof, he was called Vaelstrasz, Slayer of Guilds. Now THAT was a fight. Not like Captain Emo on his icy throne.

LOG
10-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Just to be clear, are we talking people who get pugged into pre-formed groups, or full PUGs, 10 complete strangers got together just for this and work there way through the entire ICC instance?

efkelley
10-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Ten folks at random. I'm sure there are a regular or two in there. Probably a core of three to five. But they're pretty random.

"ICC25 full clear forming, PST with class/spec, must know fights, must stay the whole raid, 5600 minimum GS"

That's what you see.

LOG
10-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Ten folks at random. I'm sure there are a regular or two in there. Probably a core of three to five. But they're pretty random.

"ICC25 full clear forming, PST with class/spec, must know fights, must stay the whole raid, 5600 minimum GS"

That's what you see.
Are you as good at killing Malygos? If you are, I will come over there. Right. F#$%&^. Now.

BTW, I'm downloading LOTRO High-res (again). Prolly won't play it for awhile, I want to finish up some achievements before Cata.

efkelley
10-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Hehe, well I never see Malygos pugs except when it's the weekly. I admit I'm never in pugs since the guild group handles pretty much everything.

With the new big patch, I'd imagine everyone is good at everything now. We utterly steamrolled ICC the other day. Biggest problem was the Boat, if you can believe that. For some reason the jetpack kept dumping our tank off the back of the enemy ship.

LOG
10-19-2010, 01:12 AM
Hehe, well I never see Malygos pugs except when it's the weekly. I admit I'm never in pugs since the guild group handles pretty much everything.

With the new big patch, I'd imagine everyone is good at everything now. We utterly steamrolled ICC the other day. Biggest problem was the Boat, if you can believe that. For some reason the jetpack kept dumping our tank off the back of the enemy ship.

True, all the DPS increases could seriously help shorten the 3rd Malygos phase.

LOG
10-22-2010, 03:04 AM
I'm thinking of playing LOTRO for the next few days, or maybe DDO. Probably LOTRO though. (27th, Evie becomes playable on Vindictus, definitely gotta check her out.)

Which server should I join? If there is such a thing I'm looking for a server that has an RP base.
I'm not too much into in-game RP, although I occasionally do forum RP, but I like the atmosphere of RP servers generally.

efkelley
10-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Landroval and Brandywine are the two unofficial RP servers. Landroval moreso.

Sometimes I think the Prancing Pony should have caution signs. WARNING: RP IN PROGRESS! It can sometimes be quite horrifying.

LOG
06-19-2011, 04:18 AM
Rise of Isengard impressions from E3 (http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/45/feature/5305/Lord-of-the-Rings-Online-Rise-of-Isengard-Impressions.html)

Somehow this game completely slipped off my radar...I don't remember why...

Edit: I feel like playing, but I don't feel like paying. But if I don't pay there are serious restrictions...
The 12 month for $100 sounds nice. If I had the money I might do it...

LOG
04-27-2013, 02:20 AM
Helm's Deep expansion announced (http://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/warner-bros-interactive-entertainment-and-turbine-announce-lord-rings-online%E2%84%A2-helm%E2%80%99s)

I'm thinking I'll pick it up and give it another try once the class changes promised for 2013 come through.