Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
(Lord of the Rings Online)

My character, Spamwise Hamgee, just hit 59th level, down in the bowels of Moria this weekend. He was quite pleased with himself, and had some bread and jam to celebrate.

What I *adore* about this game, is how much effort the designers put into building an entire game universe whose story takes place during, and intermeshes nearly seamlessly with the story of the Lord of the Rings.

When you first arrive at Bree, the ranger Strider is there. After a few adventures, you return, to find he's gone on ahead, on a mission of great importance.

At the top of Weathertop, you find evidence of a recent battle.

At Rivendell, you meet Boromir, Legolas, Gimli and help them with tasks that must be completed before they can set out on their journey, and then you watch the fellowship depart. It's stunning.

Spamwise arrived at Moria to find that the fellowship had already passed through, and now a company of dwarves had arrived to push back the orc threat and retake Moria.

The bridge of Khazad-dum is broken.

There is a charred, broken corpse of a balrog on the mountain peaks.

The game is truly amazing. At super-high quality graphics resolution, you feel you're walking through a painting. At all times, you feel as though you're truly living within Middle Earth.

This is best true roleplaying game I've ever encountered.

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
Yes, it does a great job with the main quest series.

God help you if you want to do anything other than those main quests. Or you want to solo them. When they say fellowship level, they ain't joking.

I got to around 28th level with my elf champion and to a new set of maps- couldn't do the fellowship quests, of course way too low level, when I went to go pick up all the other ones- yeah, go kill 36 more boars.

I had just finished a series of that exact quest- kill X boars. And, now at 28th level they can't think of something better to do than kill more of the damn things?

I logged out and canceled my account on the spot. Couldn't take it anymore.

Oh, and the crafting system is nice. It's a good touch that all the best items in the game can only be made by players.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
AAAAaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhh............. :Headbang:

Just... no. Please.

LotR-Online hates my computer, same as pretty much every other big fantasy MMO. Please stop tormenting me with how brilliant it is.

As soon as I stick a new graphics card, new sound card, extra RAM and a new hard drive I might be able to get the rig to run Asteroids smoothly. ATM I'm stuck with the old laptop (ancient VAIO which has Win98), the new Medion (on a web dongle, so no fun for games) or the AppleMac (that absolutely refuses anything that even feels like an MMO).

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
AAAAaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhh............. :Headbang:

Just... no. Please.

LotR-Online hates my computer, same as pretty much every other big fantasy MMO. Please stop tormenting me with how brilliant it is.

As soon as I stick a new graphics card, new sound card, extra RAM and a new hard drive I might be able to get the rig to run Asteroids smoothly. ATM I'm stuck with the old laptop (ancient VAIO which has Win98), the new Medion (on a web dongle, so no fun for games) or the AppleMac (that absolutely refuses anything that even feels like an MMO).

I suggest learning how to build your own pc's. You save a lot of cash that way.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I've built a few in my time, but I always have to cannibalize them for other computers. I'm ready to buy an Alienware laptop as soon as I win the lottery. :D

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Then I won't mention that LOTRO just introduced support for the 3-D modeling engine that nVidia now provides, Big Words.

Nothing could kill your day more than knowing you could be playing the best game ever in THREE-D!!!!!

Whistle -- they addressed a lot of those problems, but yeah, that's unfortunately a weakness of most of the mmo's out there.

What I like about LOTRO is that there are a TON of quests that have nothing to do with killing or collecting.

Soloing it's possible to get to 20th level without ever once killing another creature.

There are quests to travel to dwarven encampments and drink a toast to a fallen warrior with his friends.

Deliver mail in the Shire without nosey hobbits spotting you.

Set a trap and drop a pile of rocks on a big orc's head.

All games have their faults. This one goes out of its way to rise above them, in my opinion.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
My credit card is crying in agony at the thoughts currently whizzing through my brain right now. You've gotten the poor little thing all worried about my uncontrollable spending habits.

Marcus

sept 5th and I'm Out
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
me and the wife played LOTRO, then she got a real job and just didn't have time for it.

I've lost my love for Online games.... :(

When warhammer 40k online comes out in 2011, I plan on building a 5 grand PC purpose built just to impose my will on the pitiful masses on that game!

HUGE warhammer 40k fan. If your into epic science fiction/space opera NOTHING beets warhammer 40k
Star trek can't hold a candle to it. Star wars wouldn't last an hour against space marines. Weber's Honorverse would just roll over and die in the face of a tyranid onslaught!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I can't afford to go buy the 5th edition rules, so I'm a second-class citizen, my space wolves just hanging out, hoping another archaic unit wanders by, eager to die.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
60th level bay-be. Now to work on my supreme master jewelcrafting.

freeman801

Registered
Reaction score
What server are you on dclary?

I play on Landroval with a role playing kinship. Fun times!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
What server are you on dclary?

I play on Landroval with a role playing kinship. Fun times!

Arkenstone.

I would move to an RP kinship but not sure I want to invest the time to start over. Even though I can get to 20th level in ~2 hours, solo (with about 2 hours of prep time from other characters).

CazzieSmith

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carolinebarnardsmith.co.uk
I love lotro! My main is a 60 hobbit burglar... actually all my characters are hobbits because (obviously!) they rock the hardest ;)

I've just started playing wow because my husband begged me to. Got to say it's just not the same. It's nice playing with my other half for a change... but no hobbits! No Shire! No Party Tree!! Gah!

Back to levelling the hobbit warden methinks...

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I've just started playing wow because my husband begged me to. Got to say it's just not the same. It's nice playing with my other half for a change... but no hobbits! No Shire! No Party Tree!! Gah!
No plagiarism, shocking, I know >.>

Seriously, it doesn't get any good till the end-levels, thankfully Blizz has made it much easier recently, especially if you start with a Death Knight.

JoshW

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.purevolume.com
Yay! I've been playing LOTRO for 2 years now, and I'm still pretty much in love with it!

Level 60 hobbit burglar
Level 60 man captain
Level 50 man Loremaster
and 2 other toons that I monkey around with from time to time...

Yeah, I've spent a lot of time in that game...

JoshW

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.purevolume.com
I had just finished a series of that exact quest- kill X boars. And, now at 28th level they can't think of something better to do than kill more of the damn things?

Yes, LOTRO has no shortage of kill X amount of such-and-such a critter quests. But that's sort of a staple of MMOs right now.

LOTRO also has some incredibly creative/fun quests.

In the Shire, there is a farmer complaining about a black rider that plagues his crops at night... so you investigate to find a little hobbit sneaking around in a black cloak.

There is a hobbit who can't get rid of a ghost in his library, so eventually you go in and chase the ghost out... which happens to be a squirrel

You will chase down bad pies and deliver mail.

In Rivendell, you will walk with Frodo while he complains about how hard his life is (waaaah waaaah), and you'll later get to watch the Fellowship depart from Rivendell.

You will have to find Golem's cave inside of Goblin-Town so Bilbo can write an accurate description for his book.

In Moria you will have to solve riddles.

In Lothlorien you will scold drunk elves and sing to trees.

And so on...

There is a lot of unique stuff to do, and you will find yourself completely emerged in Middle-Earth. When the game is at its best, it really knocks you off your feet!

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I've never played an online RPG. Heck, I don't even play console RPGs. They look waaaaaaaay too confusing and from what I've seen, nothing really happens much. Maybe I haven't been exposed to the right ones. I think the only ones I've seen involved a lot of point and click and buying stuff.

Am I missing something?

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I used to be a big fan of WOW. Then LOTRO came, I tried it out and I kind of found it to rip off WOW and not be worth playing.

I stopped playing LOTRO.

Got incredibly bored with WOW.

Now I feel like playing one of those two again but I can only afford one, so now I wonder which one...

yes, this is my biggest problem at the moment :D

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
@jodiodi: Yes, you are.
@Snowflake: There are alot of MMO's coming out now that aren't like WoW or LOTRO, two bigs one being looked forward to right now are Champions Online and Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
@jodiodi: Yes, you are.
@Snowflake: There are alot of MMO's coming out now that aren't like WoW or LOTRO, two bigs one being looked forward to right now are Champions Online and Star Wars: The Old Republic.

My problem: Whenever I want to uninstall WOW, I'm like: NO! NO! NO! Love. Must play. Must game. NOW.

And whenever I come across the second LOTRO. I am like: YES. Must buy.

And I wondered if I should go back to LOTRO because I only played LOTRO for a small time and invested a lot into WOW.

Now, I need to check out the two you pointed out to me. Thank you!

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I just don't work and play well with others. Plus, those online games look incredibly dull. The ones I've seen all go like: Tell your character to move over here. Then you see the little dots move over there, like herds of migraging wildebeasts. Then your character encounters someone and you make them say something, then they stand there bouncing until the other person says something at which time, that character stands there bouncing. Not enough real-time action for me.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I played it before any expansion packs were out, I loved it, I played with my husband. When we both hit fifty we realized the game was severely underdeveloped because there was absolutely nothing to do...at all.

It has a pretty good world interaction and crafting and game play, but at the time it just was not completed, the pvp was horrible as anyone at any level could go in and be a lvl 50 monster, so everyone was a monster and there were spies and all that crap.

I prefer star wars decorating to Lotro, as the decorating is severely limited, as well as the travel in star was, probably superior to any others, too bad they have a nasty habit of changing the entire game every few weeks.

So we're currently shifting between conan and warcraft.

The music system in lotro though is by and far unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.