PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos - horror stories and happily ever afters

Red.Ink.Rain
06-15-2009, 10:10 PM
I've been considering getting a tattoo for a year or so, but I refused to get one that would mean nothing to me. I finally figured out what I want, what would be meaningful and a good representation of who I am and what I believe...and now, because I don't do impulsive decisions, I'm researching. :)

So - questions.

My mom votes no on tattoos period, but she thinks if I do get one it should be a place that can be covered up easily, like my lower back. I think that's a good idea, but the thought of having a "tramp stamp" makes me cringe. My other thought is my shoulder blade. Any experience with either of these placements?

Secondly - any great (not good; GREAT) tattoo artists in Colorado?

Thirdly - is it rude to just browse tattoo parlors, share your ideas with them, and get an idea of how they'd do before you actually decide to get the tattoo done?

scarletpeaches
06-15-2009, 10:12 PM
I don't have any tattoos but I will get one - more than one - in the future for 'landmark' events.

When it comes to your third question, I'd say absolutely not rude at all. Any parlour which objects isn't worth your time, money or skin. If you're marking yourself permanently and paying them for the privilege they damn well better talk it over with you first, or expect you to go elsewhere.

EFCollins
06-15-2009, 10:15 PM
Shoulder blade. Have the four aces on my left one. It hurt. But wasn't beyond bearing. Totally worth it.

Lisa Cox
06-15-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm 24 and I've got a million tattoos (okay, not quite, but a lot) and I love them. It's not a decision I regret. But I was careful with making sure every tattoo had a meaning for me -- I didn't just pick out anything random from tattooists' portfolios. I thought about what I wanted and discussed it with the tattooist -- not only did it make the tattoos more personal, but also totally unique.

It's not rude at all to get a feel for a tattooist and his/her work. After all, it's your body that's going to be marked for the rest of your life. :-)

aadams73
06-15-2009, 10:17 PM
My mom votes no on tattoos period, but she thinks if I do get one it should be a place that can be covered up easily, like my lower back. I think that's a good idea, but the thought of having a "tramp stamp" makes me cringe.

Honestly, if you're committing to this, I think you should get it where YOU want it. This is a highly personal choice and it's something you have to live with on your body. So do it your way all the way.

dgrintalis
06-15-2009, 10:18 PM
I have a dragon on the lower half of my back. Not a tramp stamp as it's fairly large. I also have a Celtic knot up between my shoulder blades. I had no problem with either location. My daughter has a tat directly on her shoulder blade and she had no problem either. I'm from Maryland, so I don't know anyone in Colorado, sorry.

No, it's not rude. You need to see that artists' work and decide if they are right for you.

And with respect to horror stories about tattoos, my WIP, Ink, features one prominently, but I don't think that's the kind of horror story you are thinking of! ;)

wannawrite
06-15-2009, 10:23 PM
NOT the shoulder blade. Sorry, don't like to contradict, but for the first, it should be in a place that will only be on display if wanted to be. If you go with the shoulder blade, it will be 'out there' anytime you wear a swimsuit, in certain formal dresses, whenever you wear a sundress, etc.... Now. I am not saying that this is a bad thing. I'm inked up, and a couple of mine show, no matter what. But, I started slow and small. Go with your mother's advice.

And, what is so wrong with a tramp stamp, anyway? Mine was custom designed by an award winning tattoo artist. My only regret is that I don't get to see it often enough. So, I had a pic taken of it and am using it as a screen saver on my cell phone. :)

Either way you decide to go, you are getting some good advice by everyone here. Let us know what you decide!

cray
06-15-2009, 10:26 PM
http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr317/cray_photos/im-awsome.jpg

Lisa Cox
06-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Can I also say that the 'tramp stamp' thing was only named as such because young slutty girls liked to wear low-riding jeans and cropped tops in order to show it off? That's why it's a tramp stamp.

If you want to get one on your lower back, it doesn't make it a tramp stamp. If you're a tramp who's been stamped in the place widely-recognised to be the marking spot of tramps worldwide, then it becomes a tramp stamp.

I doubt you're a tramp :-)

(And I'm not preaching because I have one and am trying to justify it -- my lower back remains untouched. For now.)

som1luvsmi
06-15-2009, 10:27 PM
I have the aforementioned "tramp stamp" which it wasn't called back when I got it, but, whatever.

The one thing I'd caution against when getting it on your lower back is that, when they went across my spine, I almost literally broke my friend's hand that I was holding. And this guy was a black belt, and had been shot before and he told me that I was about to break his hand. But having a tat there is nice because people don't see it unless you want them to and it makes you feel a little sexier. ;)

I definitely want another one soon, probably on my shoulder like you mentioned. Hey! There's a thought! Get one in both places. :D

As for the parlors, as long as you don't bother them while they're actually doing a tattoo, I'm sure they won't mind you hanging around to check them out or asking them some questions. All the tat artists I know are really, REALLY cool about things like that. They're pretty cool people in general. :D

Red.Ink.Rain
06-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Can I also say that the 'tramp stamp' thing was only named as such because young slutty girls liked to wear low-riding jeans and cropped tops in order to show it off? That's why it's a tramp stamp.

If you want to get one on your lower back, it doesn't make it a tramp stamp. If you're a tramp who's been stamped in the place widely-recognised to be the marking spot of tramps worldwide, then it becomes a tramp stamp.

I doubt you're a tramp :-)

(And I'm not preaching because I have one and am trying to justify it -- my lower back remains untouched. For now.)

Very good point. :) thanks.

spamwarrior
06-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Definitely talk it with them first.

I would advice you not to get any Chinese letters though unless you have Chinese friends who can actually tell you what they mean. Too many people get Chinese letters because they look cool, and because the tattoo artist told them it meant something awesome.

I knew a guy who had the Chinese word for "knife" on his back. The artist told him it meant "strength and manliness" and it didn't XD

Red.Ink.Rain
06-15-2009, 10:56 PM
No Chinese lettering for me. :) I'm getting a quote and an illustration from the Narnia books.

JoNightshade
06-15-2009, 10:59 PM
I would advice you not to get any Chinese letters though unless you have Chinese friends who can actually tell you what they mean. Too many people get Chinese letters because they look cool, and because the tattoo artist told them it meant something awesome.

100% agree with this!!! Of course not just with Chinese, but any language. Make sure you talk it over with a native speaker! Not only can you get just plain wrong words, sometimes the phrase or word you choose can have other connotations that won't be found in a dictionary. (For a reverse example, in China my students used the word "cock" for rooster. Okay, yes, technically correct, but... yeah.)

My dad was in the service with a guy who got his name tattooed on his shoulder. The tattoo artist spelled the guy's name wrong. Presumably if you are picky and really plan it out ahead of time this will not happen to you. ;)

Oh, also think about how this tattoo is going to look when you get old and saggy. Some places sag more than others!

JoNightshade
06-15-2009, 11:00 PM
No Chinese lettering for me. :) I'm getting a quote and an illustration from the Narnia books.

Oh, cool! What quote/illustration?

Red.Ink.Rain
06-15-2009, 11:04 PM
I want an image of Aslan with the silhouette of an albatross flying over him, and underneath it will say "Courage, dear heart." :) (A reference to The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.)

spamwarrior
06-15-2009, 11:10 PM
and of course I would advice against getting any boyfriend's name tattooed anywhere... just look at Angelina Jolie...

But a quote/scene from Narnia? I LOVE THOSE BOOKS!!! Good choice!

Red.Ink.Rain
06-15-2009, 11:13 PM
and of course I would advice against getting any boyfriend's name tattooed anywhere... just look at Angelina Jolie...

But a quote/scene from Narnia? I LOVE THOSE BOOKS!!! Good choice!

They have been MASSIVELY symbolic in my life. My step-dad gave them to me shortly after my parents divorced. They were the first "big-kid" books I read; the books that made me realize I wanted to be a writer; the books that got me through some hellishly dark times in my life; the books that helped define who I am and what I believe; the books we read aloud to each other during our "family reading nights..."

Yeah. It's pretty big. :)

Pagey's_Girl
06-16-2009, 03:20 AM
I have a pink butterfly on the lower part of my left thigh - easy to show off when I want, but easy to cover, too. I've had it almost eight years and never, ever regretted it.

Check out the tattoo and piercing page on About.com - it has some good info about what to look for in a shop and a lot of info for first-timers.

And speaking of Chinese/Kanji tattoos, I've heard tell that one of the Backstreet Boys got a Chinese tatt that he was told meant "Handsome and Fearless Leader of the Wolf Pack" but in reality said "Ugly Dog-Face Boy." If I ever get one, I'll research it myself and pick the image. That way, if I screw up, it'll be nobody's fault but mine.

TabithaTodd
06-16-2009, 03:37 AM
I have two tatts with plans for more (half arm sleeve, back of neck that wraps around to the front somewhat, wrist bands and forearms on the inside). I have one that runs down from top of left shoulder through the whole shoulder blade to about the lower portion of my ribs in the back and one that covers most of my calf on the outer part from knee to ankle.

One was designed by an ex girlfriend of mine and one I designed myself. I am a tatt nut, I love tatts, the feeling of being tattooed and the fact that I am someone's living, breathing canvas.

I don't believe in hiding art in any form, in the summer the tatts I do have are quite visible and fairly large. I have a few tips for you...

1. IF the artist can't talk shop with you concerning tatt care and answer all your questions relatively easily - run. All reputable tatt artists should know their ins and outs for tatt care and be able to answer the questions fast and as reliable as possible.

2. Go to a shop that is clean, health board certified (reputable tatt shops will certify with the health board although it is not required to keep a good rep) and look at the portfolios. If you don't see these three things or they refuse to show you at least the portfolio and isn't clean - RUN

3. Any reputable artist will tell you if he\she thinks your tatt idea is a great idea or a bad one. If it's a bad one they will spend time trying to convince you not to do it. They will be enthusiastic about a great tatt idea, over joyed and happy to do it. If they quote you a ridiculous amount of money for a moderately sized tatt with few colors (you can test them with a tatt idea you don't like or want described as above) - RUN

The biggest things you need to see are cleanliness, amount of work and quality of tatt portfolio, pricing in a fair range, ability to talk shop effectively and a bonus of being health board certified. Another doozy, ask what inks and ink brands they use, ask to see them...watery = crappy ink brand = equally crappy tatt. It should be the consistency of tooth paste or slightly less than.

Good luck and have fun!

Red.Ink.Rain
06-16-2009, 06:33 AM
Awesome. Thank you all so much! I intend to keep researching and thinking about this, but you guys have helped so much!

Dichroic
06-16-2009, 06:46 AM
As for getting a Chinese symbol: after thinking about it for a while, I actually could think of reasons for getting a tattoo in a language you don't speak - for instance, I've seen Bible quotes in Hebrew (and New Testament in Greek). I know a guy who has a quote from Virgil in the original Latin. I can imagine, for example, having my Chinese name inked on if I wanted a tat to memorialize the time I've spent in Taiwan.

But having a tattoo in a language that's foreign to you just because you think it's cool is ... pretty much inherently not.

backslashbaby
06-16-2009, 06:50 AM
Definitely talk to them first. Mine had to be larger than I expected because of the level of detail that I wanted. The position had to be changed because of how it would wear. I'm glad I went to a place that would warn me about these things.

Good luck :)

C.bronco
06-16-2009, 06:58 AM
The last tattoo I got was because I was on vacation, it was raining, and there was nothing else to do. :D I like mine, and will soon have to have one redone, but I don't think I will get another. 3 seems enough, they are all hideable for business-wear, and innocuous. They are like potato chips, however! Don't go overboard!

C.bronco
06-16-2009, 06:59 AM
P.S. We can't pick or scars, but we can pick the tattoos.

aadams73
06-16-2009, 07:13 AM
Damn people, now I feel all left out for not having one. :D

scarletpeaches
06-16-2009, 07:15 AM
Get a tattoo of your favourite turnip on your left tit.

aadams73
06-16-2009, 07:24 AM
What, and copy you?

scarletpeaches
06-16-2009, 07:25 AM
No, I tattooed my favourite tit onto my left turnip.

Vespertilion
06-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Which part of Colorado? In Colorado Springs, the best parlors would be Art With a Pulse, or West Side. The Springs has a shop on pratically every street corner, though--we actually have more tattoo parlors per capita than Vegas, and they're not required to have any kind of certification or anything to work here.
Art With a Pulse is good, though--they have a website--and one of my friends got a beautiful rosemalling (sp?) floral down her side from Josh, at West Side. Flowed down her curves perfectly.

som1luvsmi
06-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Someone said it once, but it bears repeating. DO NOT GET ANYONE'S NAME TATTOOED ANYWHERE ON YOUR PERSON. You may not be thinking about it now, but in case it comes up down the road.

Don't do it.

Bad idea.

Every single person I have ever known that has done this, has ended that relationship. BF/GF, DH/DW, doesn't matter. They've all ended badly. I'm just sayin'.

That's it. Carry on. :D

Red.Ink.Rain
06-16-2009, 07:53 AM
I go to school in Pueblo, live near Delta during summer. :) There's supposedly a really good guy in Junction, and I had friends who got their ink done in CO Springs and Pueblo.

Vespertilion
06-16-2009, 08:02 AM
Yeah, I think Steel City Tattoo down in Pueblo is supposed to be very good, too.

Red.Ink.Rain
06-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Great. :) I'll keep that in mind. I'm not sure if I'm going to get it this summer or when I go back to school, but I do intend to browse local tattoo parlors and just talk to people about it. Whether I actually get it done there or not, I'd like to get a couple professional opinions. :)

Vespertilion
06-16-2009, 09:03 AM
The guys at West Side are really cool about you just browsing, but one thing that bugs me is they have a big binder portfolio at each corral (they have and open-concept studio, with low walls for each station) but the pictures in the binder are not necessarily the work of the person in that space. So be sure to ask who the artist is if you're really drawn to a particular style, and don't just assume they're arranged in a logical way.

Most of the artists I know rave about Jack at Art With a Pulse. He's the owner, and semi-retired, but he comes out once or twice a year to do a really nice piece and keep the buzz for the shop up. He is going to charge you out the wazoo, though;o)

Red.Ink.Rain
06-16-2009, 09:24 AM
*writes down these names* Lol.

Velma deSelby Bowen
06-16-2009, 07:17 PM
I got my tattoo somewhat spontaneously: I took my partner to get a tattoo for his birthday a couple of years ago -- he'd wanted a bracelet of elephants, trunk to tail, around his left wrist for years -- and while he was getting his (which are just outlines in black), I decided that I wanted elephants as well. What I chose were elephants of the same size, but two, touching trunks, on my right wrist; and I opted for brown ink, in a shade that complements my skin tones. Every so often, I'll notice someone staring at my wrist, trying to figure out whether it's a tattoo, a burn, or a birthmark. (Sometimes I tell them.)

I'm not sure I'll ever get another tattoo, though I've thought about getting a bronze chrysanthemum or a spiral for about fifteen years (just never settled on the right place, or a design that sings to me). I figure that if/when the right design and place become clear, I'll be receptive.

I will echo other people. Browse, ask questions, don't be afraid to say, "I don't think so," and walk out of a shop if it's not clean enough, or if they don't answer the questions to your satisfaction, and don't go for names or words in another language unless you're absolutely sure of the meaning/spelling/transliteration.

roonil_wazlib
06-16-2009, 07:37 PM
I live in Colorado Springs, so I can't help you on the perfect parlour (I had mine done at Art With a Pulse and LOVED it), but I can say that the best tattoo place will be patient with you. If the artist gets impatient or annoyed with you, don't even bother with them. Tattoos are a big deal and it should be done exactly the way you want it - no deviations.

I got the words 'Star Shaped' on my right wrist in Jane Austen handwriting (it's a song by Blur - I figured it's better to get a song name than the band name, right?). The tattoo artist told me it might hurt quite a bit, but it was relatively painless (and my pain tolerance isn't very high!). I'm a receptionist, so I thought I'd need to cover it up most of the time - instead, I get asked about it every time my bracelets slide down. Half the time, people do double takes because they thought it was another bracelet.

I think you should consider what you want to do for a career when you're deciding on the placement. If you're planning on being a wild and carefree freelance web designer (for example), the placement wouldn't matter. If you're thinking of doing something that involves business dress and being in a professional environment, don't get a massive, brightly-coloured tattoo on your forearm - on hot days, it'll be terrible having to wear long-sleeved shirts all day.

It's easy to get tattoo after tattoo after tattoo - make sure you really want every single one you get. At least for a little while. I'm already planning three more for my wrists - a Charlie Chaplin tattoo, Vincent Van Gogh's signature and a small vine. Then I swear I'm done! Haha.

EFCollins
06-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Here's another tip.

If your friend says "I know a guy that does tattoos!" and you end up at someone's house... run. As far and as fast as you can.

Greenify13
06-16-2009, 09:39 PM
I have a tattoo on my right shoulder blade, drew it myself. It looks like a child colored it in, but that was intentional. Personally, it didn't hurt a bit. A relative did it for me, in his home, while his wife made cookies. :D I plan to get more in the future, and had looked into glow-in the dark ink it has a good purpose, I swear. :ROFL:
Oh I am against tattoos of spouses, bf, gf...but I do want a tattoo that will have my childrens names...and I was thinking of one that I drew, centered on my spine...:D
Go for it, but I'd go for a shoulder blade first. And yes, definitely ask questions. This is something you should be 100% comfortable with.

aadams73
06-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Prick Tattoos (http://www.pricktattoos.com/) in San Antonio is awesome if you're ever that way. I don't have one myself, but I went with a friend who had some piercings done there. The place is super-clean, their work is amazing, and they're really fantastic, enthusiastic people who love the art.

ETA: they were happy to answer a bunch of my questions(I'm a curious person) as well as show me their portfolios, even though I wasn't an actual customer.

Red.Ink.Rain
06-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Unfortunately, I'm not going to be near San Antonio. :(

roonil - first, love your username. :) Second, I looked at Art with a Pulse online last night and thought their work looked beautiful. I'll totally check it out when I'm back at school. :)

EFCollins - lol, got it. No home-based tattoo businesses. :tongue

EFCollins
06-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Yeah. Unfortunately, I let someone tat me from their home.

Not good, not good. It's going to be covered, I just have to make my way to it.

I got drunk one night and let my husband tat me too. He didn't do too bad on most of them (Yes, there were multiples. I now have seven tats, of which only five look decent). But that one...

Jesus. Just don't. Please? Don't.

Red.Ink.Rain
06-16-2009, 11:45 PM
*shudders* Okay. Yeah. I don't intend to. Thanks for the warning.

EFCollins
06-16-2009, 11:49 PM
YVW. Glad to have helped.

Two words.

One needle.

It hurt.

(As further explanation, professional guns have multiple needles administering color. A home gun has a single needle. I don't know why i did this. I claim insanity)

Red.Ink.Rain
06-17-2009, 12:01 AM
OW. OWOWOWOWOWOW. Okay, you've officially frightened me. I will probably be having nightmares - even MORE nightmares than my already-low-pain-threshold has shoved on me. Thanks. :tongue

EFCollins
06-17-2009, 12:12 AM
Trust me, professional is the only way to go. It's soooo much faster. It numbs after a while. Home guns are like... poke poke poke... poke poke poke poke poke.... Yeah. Go to a professional. Always.

TabithaTodd
06-17-2009, 12:33 AM
I have a tattoo on my right shoulder blade, drew it myself. It looks like a child colored it in, but that was intentional. Personally, it didn't hurt a bit. A relative did it for me, in his home, while his wife made cookies. :D I plan to get more in the future, and had looked into glow-in the dark ink it has a good purpose, I swear. :ROFL:
Oh I am against tattoos of spouses, bf, gf...but I do want a tattoo that will have my childrens names...and I was thinking of one that I drew, centered on my spine...:D
Go for it, but I'd go for a shoulder blade first. And yes, definitely ask questions. This is something you should be 100% comfortable with.

Glow in the dark ink is a polymer base. I've seen people get it and it bunches into one solid mass. It's a bad idea. There isn't enough research on this ink base yet and I'd wait if I were in your shoes. My favie artist refuses to work with it (over 20 yrs experience that he has). As for in home, not fond of it myself but if you know their work, trust them and they can still talk shop and are clean - it's up to you.

My hubby's cousin's wife does tatts and is about to do a bunch of work for me, I've seen her work, I've seen how clean she is as well and I know her well...takes a little of the "ick" factor out of the "in home" tatt idea.

As for names of spouses\significant others - The only ones I would ever (and have) put their names on my body are my children. I've been with my hubby for 10 years and would never put his name on my body or in any tatt.

Red.Ink.Rain
06-17-2009, 12:38 AM
Does anyone know what a reasonable price range looks like for a good tattoo artist? (For a relatively small tattoo - not tiny, but say a few square inches of skin.)

backslashbaby
06-17-2009, 01:04 AM
It'll vary depending on where you are. I got mine done at Zulu in the Temple Bar area of Dublin. Ridiculously priced, but I was dead-set on getting it done on that trip :)

Red.Ink.Rain
06-17-2009, 02:27 AM
I don't blame you. If I visited Dublin I'd want a souvenir too. :)

scarletpeaches
06-17-2009, 02:28 AM
So would I and it wouldn't be a tattoo.

aadams73
06-17-2009, 02:31 AM
I'd bring back a leprechaun.

Red.Ink.Rain
06-17-2009, 02:45 AM
So would I and it wouldn't be a tattoo.

Haha. Good point.

Devil Ledbetter
06-17-2009, 02:56 AM
My mom votes no on tattoos period, but she thinks if I do get one it should be a place that can be covered up easily, like my lower back. I think that's a good idea, but the thought of having a "tramp stamp" makes me cringe. My other thought is my shoulder blade. Any experience with either of these placements?
I've heard this a lot, but I question the wisdom of it. It seems everyone I know with an easily hidden tattoo is constantly going far out of her way to reveal it. Do you really want to be stuck wearing racer-back tank tops all the time? Even in the dead of winter? I know a girl with a tattoo on the back of her neck and she always wears her hair in pigtails so you can see it. The juvenile pigtail thing kind of ruins the affect, KWIM? The whole idea of a tattoo is to make some kind of statement, right? If you have to pull down your pants to show it off, well, that's just awkward. If you're not ashamed to get a tattoo, why put it somewhere you can hide it?

If you're going to do it, own it.

Easy for me to say, since I don't have a tattoo.

Red.Ink.Rain
06-17-2009, 04:11 AM
Good thought, Devil. :) Although I also have a future career to think of - I want to be a teacher, so if I'm going to get a tattoo it kind of needs to be in a place where it can be covered. I don't think I want it somewhere where it would NEVER show, but I'd like it to be subtle. :)

Chumplet
06-17-2009, 05:20 AM
My sister in law, her husband and their two kids had my nephew's nickname tattooed on their arms after he died. Steve has a big one on his forearm, 'B-Man', and the girls have a little B in a heart on their inner wrists. They all said it hurt like hell.

archerjoe
06-17-2009, 05:59 AM
A friend of mine was at some rowdy cowboy bar and she said ladies got a discount on their drink if they showed a tattoo. She was amazed where people hid tattoos and yet would pull down clothing to expose it for a discounted drink.

C.bronco
06-17-2009, 06:08 AM
I had my wedding date tattooed on my back. It worked- he never forgot an anniversary (willingly ignored, yes).
LOL, I have to have that one changed soon. I'm thinking of putting my boy's birthdate there instead.
I like mine still, but I have to say I am glad I didn't get the one I wanted at age 18 and waited until I was 23.
I thought the teddybear I had by my hipbone was going to look like Boris Karloff when I was pregnant, but instead, it just got very, very tall. It is now in normal proportions.

spamwarrior
06-17-2009, 06:34 AM
A friend of mine was at some rowdy cowboy bar and she said ladies got a discount on their drink if they showed a tattoo. She was amazed where people hid tattoos and yet would pull down clothing to expose it for a discounted drink.

I'd have just drawn it with one of those fine sharpies ;)

aadams73
06-17-2009, 06:48 AM
And then there's this (http://www.neatorama.com/2009/06/16/seeing-stars-over-tattoo/) poor girl who had the misfortune to fall asleep while getting tattooed in Romania. Or so she says.

scarletpeaches
06-17-2009, 06:51 AM
I was just talking to tt42 about that!

We called her some choice names, not repeatable in front of a laydee like aadams73.

aadams73
06-17-2009, 06:52 AM
I am a very delicate and sensitive flower.

spamwarrior
06-17-2009, 07:51 AM
ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Red.Ink.Rain
06-17-2009, 08:52 AM
*giggle snort*

56 stars... Dear Lord, why would you get a tattoo in a country where you couldn't speak the language anyway?

aadams73
06-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Alcohol makes you do some fun, crazy things. Then you sober up.

If you're lucky, waking up with one eyebrow and wearing your underwear on your head is the worst of the damage.

scarletpeaches
06-17-2009, 02:17 PM
I ended up with a boyfriend once, after a bottle of red wine and a video of Gladiator.

He didn't have to be lasered off my face though. :roll:

Bmwhtly
06-17-2009, 03:58 PM
Only a little bit off-topic, I just came across what's possibly the wierdest tattoo:

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9476/spidertattoo.jpg

Kewl, but I wouldn't want to wake up with it every morning.

archerjoe
06-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Only a little bit off-topic, I just came across what's possibly the wierdest tattoo:

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9476/spidertattoo.jpg

Kewl, but I wouldn't want to wake up with it every morning.

Sorry, not even close. Patrick Swayze as a centaur isn't the weirdest either. I love tattoo threads on FARK.com just for the pictures.

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080521/tattoo-swayze_l.jpg
'

This one might is pretty weird but I've seen worse:

http://www.ismileyu.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/horrible_tattoo_hello_kitty.jpg

cray
06-17-2009, 04:52 PM
'

http://www.ismileyu.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/horrible_tattoo_hello_kitty.jpg

mom! is that you?

thethinker42
06-17-2009, 05:10 PM
And then there's this (http://www.neatorama.com/2009/06/16/seeing-stars-over-tattoo/) poor girl who had the misfortune to fall asleep while getting tattooed in Romania. Or so she says.

If she fell asleep while getting a tattoo (!) on her face (!!!), then I suspect she was on something. I find it very, very hard to believe that she could fall asleep with that pain and/or noise that close to her ear. I find it hard to fall asleep AFTER getting a tattoo, and I've gotten mine in some areas that are pretty "meh" on the "how bad does this spot hurt" scale.

Now, I've had a tattoo misspelled before. Seriously. But it was an easy fix, since a cursive "s" can be changed fairly easily into a cursive "z". Eventually I may have another artist touch it up a bit on one spot, but otherwise, it's fine. It was a minor miscommunication between the artist and myself, and was fixed easily enough. No biggie.

But you'd better believe I didn't FALL ASLEEP while someone was carving something into my skin. Good GOD.

Vespertilion
06-17-2009, 07:04 PM
I've been saving up for a big, beautiful piece I've wanted for years, but there're always days I have no business being anywhere near a tattoo parlor. "Yeah, hi--I'd like one of Lady Cottington's pressed fairies, please? Yeah, this one--hm? On my ass, of course. Like I sat on him."

Luckily, I don't have a car, and lack the motivation to wait for a bus before the impulse passes.

spamwarrior
06-17-2009, 07:55 PM
How can ANYONE fall asleep while getting a tattoo?

What a nice, comfortable nap.

Greenify13
06-17-2009, 08:26 PM
I...um...fell asleep while I was getting mine. :sleepy: :o :e2zzz:
It wasn't too hard to fall asleep. *insert blusing smiley*

TabithaTodd
06-17-2009, 08:39 PM
If she fell asleep while getting a tattoo (!) on her face (!!!), then I suspect she was on something. I find it very, very hard to believe that she could fall asleep with that pain and/or noise that close to her ear. I find it hard to fall asleep AFTER getting a tattoo, and I've gotten mine in some areas that are pretty "meh" on the "how bad does this spot hurt" scale.

Now, I've had a tattoo misspelled before. Seriously. But it was an easy fix, since a cursive "s" can be changed fairly easily into a cursive "z". Eventually I may have another artist touch it up a bit on one spot, but otherwise, it's fine. It was a minor miscommunication between the artist and myself, and was fixed easily enough. No biggie.

But you'd better believe I didn't FALL ASLEEP while someone was carving something into my skin. Good GOD.

Actually, it is plausible and possible to fall asleep during tattooing. I've seen it happen, including on the ribs, face and side of neck...even hands (which hurt quite a bit). Some people have a very high pain thresh hold and tolerance for it and some don't. For some the endorphine release relaxes and calms them to the point of being able to sleep soundly. Even snore...

I this particular case with the star faced lady, I call BS - she obviously is back peddling due to pressure from father and boyfriend about what she did.

Red.Ink.Rain
06-17-2009, 08:47 PM
I...um...fell asleep while I was getting mine. :sleepy: :o :e2zzz:
It wasn't too hard to fall asleep. *insert blusing smiley*

Haha. So is the pain really not that bad? (I understand that it depends on where you get it, but you're the second person who's told me you almost fell asleep.)

Greenify13
06-17-2009, 09:01 PM
It was on my shoulder blade , I did fall asleep. And no the pain isn't too bad, I've had worse...a lot worse. They say the worst part is the outlining or black ink...that's up for debate. I would probably disagree.
Oh and while I love it on the shoulder, one thing to remember is that if you are wearing a tank or something without cover there, and it's formal...that it will be seen. But there are methods to hiding tatoos in these cases...and some of them do work.
As for pain, I have a good tolerance for pain...but I doubt it's too bad on the shoulder blade for anyone...
And do not drink liquor...it's true about the "you'll bleed more" just ask my dumb husband

Red.Ink.Rain
06-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Gotcha. Thanks for the tip. :)