Shrapnel Wounds - modern day physiotherapy

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to find information on what type of physiotherapy exercises, etc. would need to be done on a person whose leg had been torn up by shrapnel wounds.

I know that massage helps to generate tissue and nerve growth.

I need specific types of exercises.

Many thanks, if anyone can help!

Vanatru

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to find information on what type of physiotherapy exercises, etc. would need to be done on a person whose leg had been torn up by shrapnel wounds.

I know that massage helps to generate tissue and nerve growth.

I need specific types of exercises.

Many thanks, if anyone can help!

Sorry for the late response. :) I've been a bit out of the loop as of lately.

I took some grenade shrapnel to the leg/knee from an insurgent IED with surgery afterwards as a result. The Dr's prescribed stretching and low impact work...such as walking. Lately I've been doing a cardio/stationary bike to keep the leg and knee working smoothly. 20 minutes at a time, twice a day, at low to medium workouts have done wonders for me.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the late response. :) I've been a bit out of the loop as of lately.

I took some grenade shrapnel to the leg/knee from an insurgent IED with surgery afterwards as a result. The Dr's prescribed stretching and low impact work...such as walking. Lately I've been doing a cardio/stationary bike to keep the leg and knee working smoothly. 20 minutes at a time, twice a day, at low to medium workouts have done wonders for me.

Thank you for that. It's exactly what I was looking for.
I'm glad that you're getting better. I hope it's not too long a road back for you.

Vanatru

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. :) It's been interesting. I took three pieces of shrapnel to my left leg/knee from a grenade. The Dr's did surgery to repair the tibula (sp?) and the surrounding cartilege (sp?) and then prescribed simple knee bends/lifts the first week with walking the second week and knee bends the week after....right now I'm doing 2 sets of 20 minutes of that recumbent bike thing cycling a day and if I have the energy another 20 minutes on a eliptecal (sp?) afterwards. I've been doing that for about 6 months now and I'm kicking ass. Last time in Iraq it was year in the hospital recovering, this time it's much better. :)

To rehab my leg ....crap, I can't remember the name of the machines....sorry, I've got a buzz from the medications at the moment.....it's the leg lcurl/lift machine, followed by a set of the leg press down, then another leg lift/curl up, then another leg press down. With the recumbent bike for another 20 minutes.

It's low impact at first with gradual resistance, forcing the knee/leg to perform. It's the second knee injury I've had and so far it's been the same routine both times....

I'll be going back for therapy on Sunday, so if you need, I'll get the machine names for ya. Hope that helps.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
Bloody Hell! You've been through the mill, haven't you?

I figured that it would be low impact stuff which gradually built up.
From the research I've done, those IEDs inflict terrible damage.

The names of the machines would be useful. I'm really trying hard to be as close to accuracy as I can possibly be. One of the MCs in my WIP (a UK soldier in Afghanistan) is wounded by an IED, ironically enough, in his left leg. I've been researching the immediate on the scene treatment, skin grafts, the whole ball of wax. So any information you feel like sharing with me would be very welcome.

Thanks for your help. I hope the therapy continues to go well.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
Cheers, Van.:)

Dee, I don't think we have one of those libraries nearby.

But thanks for posting the link. Probably not something to read whilst eating.