PDA

View Full Version : South Africa, 2010

Pages : [1] 2

poetinahat
06-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Australia's in the World Cup again. Last team to qualify for '06, first team to qualify for '10 (did it last week with two matches to spare). Go boys!

...But since we're calling it football now, can we please find another name for the national team? "Socceroos"... well, no.

dclary
06-16-2009, 10:53 PM
I hear that Kangaroo they drafted for winger is phenomenal.

regdog
06-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Let's see if the US can qualify

poetinahat
06-19-2009, 04:57 AM
I hear that Kangaroo they drafted for winger is phenomenal.
Yup... ever since he was a joey, he's been dangerous from the pocket.

Aaaand they close out the qualifiers with a 2-1 victory over Japan -- in which they conceded the first goal of the entire campaign.

Tim Cahill's just brilliant. I thought it was tremendously ironic that Noel Gallagher said Cahill has a face you just want to slap. If ever a slappable face was put on a head, it's Noel's.

Anyhoo - we're on our way!

Cassiopeia
06-19-2009, 05:00 AM
I'm not much into soccer but since you posted the name: South Africa, you knew I had to peek in. ;)

OH and *stalks poet*

KTC
06-19-2009, 05:13 AM
I'm not much into soccer but since you posted the name: South Africa, you knew I had to peek in. ;)

OH and *stalks poet*

Haha! I knew I would find you here. And I just came in because I'm East Africa 2009! hehe.

Cassiopeia
06-19-2009, 05:15 AM
Haha! I knew I would find you here. And I just came in because I'm East Africa 2009! hehe.But, but...I miss being there so very much.

Poet, isn't this going to be held in Port Elizabeth?

razibahmed
06-24-2009, 03:30 AM
My own country never qualified for World Cup Football. I am a fan of Argentina.

Strange Days
09-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Russia vs. Germany... THAT will be a showdown!!! :D I'm sooooo looking forward to that game... If Shava stays healthy and in good shape- we have a decent chance to qualify from the first place in our Group! YAYYY!!! :D Without Shava though, we'll be happy to draw and hope that Germans fail in further games...

waylander
09-15-2009, 09:19 PM
And England will be there.
I wonder if the stadia will be finished in time

ReallyRong
09-16-2009, 10:12 PM
And England will be there.

Until the quarter finals!

Strange Days
09-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Until the quarter finals!

Untill Beckham gets redcarded... :D

waylander
09-18-2009, 10:33 PM
You reckon he'll get on the pitch?

waylander
12-05-2009, 03:35 AM
So what do we think of the draw?
England v USA in Group C

Priene
12-05-2009, 09:49 AM
So what do we think of the draw?
England v USA in Group C

One-all draw. England's overpaid, prissy superstars grind out an unattractive point against enthusiastic, Norwayesque Americans. They then despatch Slovenia and Algeria with prejudice like the flat-track bullies they are. After a squeak on penalties past Serbia/Ghana/Australia in the second round, the entire nation will start to hyperventilate. Frank Lampard will give an interview saying 'this is our time, we're the golden generation, destiny lies at the wings of our feet.'

Facing France in the quarters, Wayne Rooney will get sent off after a throat-high, ninja-style tackle on Andre-Pierre Gignac, Rio Ferdinand will be continually nutmegged and Peter Crouch will look like the third best player in the Rymans League. The sound of deflating expectations will be audible as far as the Canaries. Fabio will look faintly perplexed, like a man who's discovered his Chablis '02 doesn't perfectly complement his Terrine de Poulet. David Beckham will come on as substitute and bend a free kick perfectly into Thierry Henry's nadgers. After elimination, our distraught hooligans will take a heavy defeat at the hands of the local riot police.

waylander
05-25-2010, 01:41 AM
England 3- Mexico 1
Unconvincing, but let's remember that Mexico are potential quarter finalists so it's a decent win with a below strength team

rugcat
05-28-2010, 06:17 AM
England 3- Mexico 1
Unconvincing, but let's remember that Mexico are potential quarter finalists so it's a decent win with a below strength teamUnconvincing is putting it mildly. Mexico played a beautiful, flowing game, and controlled most of the action.

If England comes up against a team that can finish, they could be in real trouble.

Luckily, they have an easy group. Though the US is capable of getting outplayed and still coming up with a win if they're taken too lightly, much like England did v Mexico.

poetinahat
05-28-2010, 06:29 AM
One-all draw. England's overpaid, prissy superstars grind out an unattractive point against enthusiastic, Norwayesque Americans. They then despatch Slovenia and Algeria with prejudice like the flat-track bullies they are. After a squeak on penalties past Serbia/Ghana/Australia in the second round, the entire nation will start to hyperventilate. Frank Lampard will give an interview saying 'this is our time, we're the golden generation, destiny lies at the wings of our feet.'

Facing France in the quarters, Wayne Rooney will get sent off after a throat-high, ninja-style tackle on Andre-Pierre Gignac, Rio Ferdinand will be continually nutmegged and Peter Crouch will look like the third best player in the Rymans League. The sound of deflating expectations will be audible as far as the Canaries. Fabio will look faintly perplexed, like a man who's discovered his Chablis '02 doesn't perfectly complement his Terrine de Poulet. David Beckham will come on as substitute and bend a free kick perfectly into Thierry Henry's nadgers. After elimination, our distraught hooligans will take a heavy defeat at the hands of the local riot police.

Only an Englishman can write a dark comic rant like that. *sniff* That's beautiful. Nobody sledges like a Pom.

-----

Australia take ONE recognised striker in their entire squad. ONE.

ONE.

We took more GOALKEEPERS than strikers.

And I don't even remember striker's name. Apparently, Verbeek hopes that three draws - one of them against Germany - will be enough.

First to qualify, first to land in South Africa. First to punch their ticket back home? *grumble*

I cannot believe Pim Verbeek and Guus Hiddink come from the same country.

waylander
05-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Unconvincing is putting it mildly. Mexico played a beautiful, flowing game, and controlled most of the action.

But they can't defend set pieces

If England comes up against a team that can finish, they could be in real trouble.

Very true

Luckily, they have an easy group. Though the US is capable of getting outplayed and still coming up with a win if they're taken too lightly, much like England did v Mexico.

I could see USA finishing second in the group

Priene
05-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Only an Englishman can write a dark comic rant like that. *sniff* That's beautiful. Nobody sledges like a Pom.

I have unresolved hatred issues with the England players stemming from the fiasco of hubris and incompetence that was Germany 2006. Frank Lampart actually he said he thought they were the golden generation. If you're going to come up with absurd boasting, at least win something first. At least reach a semi-final, for god's sake.

(And you should see how I sledge the opposition).

I could see USA finishing second in the group

Hey, that's England's position. Unless...

waylander
05-30-2010, 06:33 PM
England 2 Japan 1
Unconvincing again though they won

rugcat
05-31-2010, 04:02 AM
USA 2 Turkey 1

First half dreadful for the Americans, down 1-0, which was lucky for them.

Second half, with critical substitutions, a different team -- they showed real spark and some creative play. Which team will show up in SA?

waylander
06-02-2010, 12:32 AM
So, any thoughts on the England squad?
I'm surprised he's not included Walcott.

Fran
06-04-2010, 07:30 PM
*waves the "I know nothing about football" flag.* Or the Saltire, as it's more commonly known.

Is there a prize for Best Fan Geography (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100604/tod-oukoe-uk-soccer-world-drunkard-1a5e080.html)?

Priene
06-04-2010, 09:57 PM
*waves the "I know nothing about football" flag.* Or the Saltire, as it's more commonly known

Oh, you shouldn't be so hard on your boys. They do hold a World Cup record, after all.*

* record number of exits in the first round

Fran
06-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Oh, you shouldn't be so hard on your boys. They do hold a World Cup record, after all.*

* record number of exits in the first round

I like to think of it as being consistent.

rugcat
06-05-2010, 03:54 AM
So, any thoughts on the England squad?
I'm surprised he's not included Walcott.I was too. If nothing else, a striker with blazing speed can stretch defenses and keep them honest, and is a great weapon to have in reserve. It's not like England has a plethora of brilliant strikers.

Seems like they're going with David James as their #1 keeper.

Priene
06-05-2010, 08:36 AM
I was too. If nothing else, a striker with blazing speed can stretch defenses and keep them honest, and is a great weapon to have in reserve. It's not like England has a plethora of brilliant strikers.

Seems like they're going with David James as their #1 keeper.

Walcott would have gone as a right winger, but Aaron Lennon's much the better player. The surprise is that Wright-Philips got in the squad ahead of him, but neither have done much, and Walcott's been off form for an entire year.

Meanwhile, Rio Ferdinand is out of the tournament, which is the second worst thing that could happen.

waylander
06-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Ferdinand has been poor or injured for most of the season. I'm fairly happy with Carragher as his replacement

Albedo
06-05-2010, 05:58 PM
If NL, BR or US win, I make $200!

-Not dumb enough to punt on my own country's team

Albedo
06-05-2010, 06:04 PM
I won a free trip to Melbourne* in 2006 when Italy won. I had to hid my elation at Italy's disgusting and unjust penalty defeat of Oz in the semis, lest I get murdered in the streets.

*2nd prize: two free trips to Melbourne

Fran
06-05-2010, 11:57 PM
My English mother's prediction:

Rooney will be the subject of a) a concerted hack n slash effort designed to break one or both of his legs or b) an orchestrated campaign of diving in order to get him sent off and disqualified.

Priene
06-07-2010, 02:06 PM
The World Cup fixture wheel (http://www.marca.com/deporte/futbol/mundial/sudafrica-2010/calendario-english.html). A fine piece of software.

Priene
06-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Hmmmm, not a fast-moving thread, this one. Still, the great day is nearly upon us. My predictions for tomorrow:

Mexico 2 South Africa 0

Mexico are, of course, the perennial underachieving softies of Latin American football with a dodgy defence and a growing inferiority complex towards their northern neighbours. South Africa as hosts should do better than expected, but they have a weakness in one position -- the pitch -- and I have a feeling the vuvulayas may honk in vain.

Uruguay 1 France 1

France have a coach who uses astrology to pick his defence, and Uruguay's previous forays in the finals have highlighted their national love for kicking lumps out of the oppositino. A draw which won't be pretty, but may be entertaining.

CaoPaux
06-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Well, waddya know, South Africa got on the board. Final score: 1 - 1.

MrWrite
06-11-2010, 09:06 PM
AHA! I knew I'd find a World Cup thread if I looked hard enough. An excellent opener which hopefully is a good sign of things to come. The stage is set now though for France to dominate the group.

The big event though is tomorrows game between England and the USA. Any thoughts on that one?

MrWrite
06-11-2010, 09:17 PM
I have unresolved hatred issues with the England players stemming from the fiasco of hubris and incompetence that was Germany 2006. Frank Lampart actually he said he thought they were the golden generation. If you're going to come up with absurd boasting, at least win something first. At least reach a semi-final, for god's sake.

(And you should see how I sledge the opposition).

Hey, that's England's position. Unless...

Sadly it goes back further than that. The only tournament I feel we truly acquitted ourselves was Italia 90. What a heartbreaker that was. If we could have gotten past Germany we might have won the cup. Then for USA 94 we didn't even qualify. France 98 was the year Beckham made himself look a complete ass. 02 we collapsed against Brazil. And don't even get me started on the Germany 06 tournament. What the hell happened to them? We didn't play well at all until the Portugal game which, ironically, we then lost. I just hope we can turn things around this time round. At least heat won't be an issue.

Priene
06-11-2010, 10:22 PM
It goes back even further. We weren't bad in 1986 once Butch Wilkins got himself sent off. 1982 wasn't so bad, if you can forgive Kevin Keegan's pathetic missed header against Spain. The two failed qualifications in the seventies were awful. Coming second against Italy was understandable, but the England-Poland game was a fiasco. Then there was our collapse against West Germany in 1970...I was only four at the time, but nobody ever forgave Peter "The Cat" Bonetti.

But 2006 was the worst of the lot, simply because of the self-entitlement those players had. They genuinely thought they deserved to win the World Cup. I think maybe too earning much money erodes your capacity for self-analysis.

waylander
06-12-2010, 02:33 PM
France 0 Uruguay 0
Poor game, neither side looked threatening going forward. France had marginally the better chances but neither side looks like a contender

MrWrite
06-12-2010, 04:18 PM
It's on baby! England Vs USA. England are going to win. We're off to a bar in the city to watch it! :D

regdog
06-12-2010, 05:09 PM
It's on baby! England Vs USA. England are going to win. We're off to a bar in the city to watch it! :D

Easy there Englishman. The game isn't until this afternoon. You get to the bar too early you won't remember your name much less the game.

I hope the US makes a good show of themselves. I think if the get Rooney's temper up he'll be his own worst enemy

waylander
06-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Well Greece aren't going to win it!

S. Korea 2 Greece 0

regdog
06-12-2010, 05:35 PM
S. Korea outplayed them from the start.

Priene
06-12-2010, 09:07 PM
The world cup summed up in one image:

http://i.imgur.com/KsVJ7.gif

mscelina
06-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Man, I'm telling you. I HATE having to mute a sporting event but that attack of killer bees that keeps threatening to overtake the stadium is driving me crazy.

Good lord.

regdog
06-12-2010, 10:58 PM
You're not the only one Celina. My Aunt can't stand that noise.

On the US VS. England

Damn early goal. The US fan in me is bummed by that early goal. The Liverpool fan in me is cheering for Gerrard. Of course if he played like that during the season 'Pool might have had a better showing

waylander
06-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Robert Green - AAAAARGH!

waylander
06-13-2010, 12:27 AM
Just not good enough.
Didn't create enough chances; Heskey missed the best one
Joe Hart in goal for the next match

robeiae
06-13-2010, 12:32 AM
Man, I'm telling you. I HATE having to mute a sporting event but that attack of killer bees that keeps threatening to overtake the stadium is driving me crazy.

Good lord.
I keep thinking it's the opening bit to Welcome to the Jungle. Then, I wonder why there's a hockey game about to start...

mscelina
06-13-2010, 12:33 AM
*snicker*

Alas, hockey is done for the year. Almost time for college football though. Whaddaya think, Rob--Miami and Florida State to the SEC? :D

robeiae
06-13-2010, 12:35 AM
Geh.

The dismantling of the Big Eight/Big Twelve bums me out though.

dolores haze
06-13-2010, 12:36 AM
I'm feeling deeply sorry for that English goalie. Even though I wanted the US to win or draw.

waylander
06-13-2010, 01:06 AM
USA played well.... and got lucky

rugcat
06-13-2010, 02:18 AM
USA played well.... and got luckyExactly.

But goalkeeping is a big part of the game, and Tim Howard, a fine keeper, can be the difference in a close game.

The US played reasonably well and are capable of playing even better. Of course, they're also fully capable of playing worse. And I don't trust Bradley's personnel decisions.

Green's gaffe was a gift, but he did make the best save of the match on Altadore's close range blast -- he and the woodwork.

England has the superior individual talent, without question, but they're going to have to come together better as a team if they want to go deep into the tournament.

I was happy to see France play listlessly -- they don't deserve to be in the Cup in the first place.

And much as I appreciate the play of Argentina, I'm hoping for an early exit for them, if only to see the last of that git Maradona on the international scene. (If you'll pardon the Britishism.)

Paul
06-13-2010, 02:36 AM
Exactly.

I was happy to see France play listlessly -- they don't deserve to be in the Cup in the first place.

see USA.USA.USA thread. ;)

but I'm not someone to hold a grudge....

robeiae
06-13-2010, 02:40 AM
I'm actually pulling for Argentina this go-round. Maradona is like an older Jimmy Connors during his rebirth: I know he's an @ss, has always been an @ss, and will always be an @ss, but somehow it doesn't bother me so much, anymore.

And as a matter of course, I oppose Italy, Spain, France, and Brazil. Cuz they all suck on ice.

waylander
06-13-2010, 02:46 AM
Exactly.

But goalkeeping is a big part of the game, and Tim Howard, a fine keeper, can be the difference in a close game.

The US played reasonably well and are capable of playing even better. Of course, they're also fully capable of playing worse. And I don't trust Bradley's personnel decisions.

Green's gaffe was a gift, but he did make the best save of the match on Altadore's close range blast -- he and the woodwork.

England has the superior individual talent, without question, but they're going to have to come together better as a team if they want to go deep into the tournament.

And much as I appreciate the play of Argentina, I'm hoping for an early exit for them, if only to see the last of that git Maradona on the international scene. (If you'll pardon the Britishism.)

Green made a meal of Altidore's shot. It was very close to him, he should have got more on it.
Don't understand why Wright-Phillips is in the squad let alone on the pitch.
You're quite right - England need to play better, particularly they need to take the chances they create.

A better team than Nigeria would have punished Argentine for their defensive weaknesses.

MrWrite
06-13-2010, 02:54 AM
You're not the only one Celina. My Aunt can't stand that noise.

On the US VS. England

Damn early goal. The US fan in me is bummed by that early goal. The Liverpool fan in me is cheering for Gerrard. Of course if he played like that during the season 'Pool might have had a better showing

I can't believe Green's howler. What a gift! It was a strange game but a draw was a fair result. US played well and got lucky. As for England we need to play better and maybe James should be in goal as he does have more experience. We went to a bar in Manhattan and somehow CBS tv heard about our rivalry, the wife is American and I'm English so they came to the bar to interview us! :D

robeiae
06-13-2010, 02:54 AM
A better team than Nigeria would have punished Argentine for their defensive weaknesses.

Maybe, but a slightly luckier--or more comfortable--Argentina would have easily put four in the net. I don't think anyone is much looking forward to facing Argentina. Too many possibilities. They're all hoping Argentina blows it in group play.

rugcat
06-13-2010, 02:59 AM
Green made a meal of Altidore's shot. It was very close to him, he should have got more on it.I think with the nearness and power of the shot he did well to even get as much of it as he did.

rugcat
06-13-2010, 03:11 AM
I'm actually pulling for Argentina this go-round. Maradona is like an older Jimmy Connors during his rebirth: I know he's an @ss, has always been an @ss, and will always be an @ss, but somehow it doesn't bother me so much, anymore.
It's not just that he's an ass. Not just that he was a cocaine addict -- that's one thing. But he also was sent home from the 94 world cup for performance doping. (Ephedrine)

In addition, the famous Hand of God goal was a purposeful, deliberate action -- in short, calculated cheating. And he's proud of it, brags about it. Despite his astonishing skills, he's the antithesis of what sport should be. Why he was chosen to head the Argentine squad is a mystery to me.

And he's a ass.

robeiae
06-13-2010, 03:29 AM
Given the propensity so many star athletes have for cheating--in every sport--I can't get worked up over him in the same way that I used to.

And no matter how flagrant the "Hand of God" was, there's no getting around the brilliance that led up to that moment. For me, it's no worse than the dives some take in the box to get that penalty kick. There are a couple of "superstars" that excel in this skill playing in the World Cup, too.

rugcat
06-13-2010, 03:35 AM
Given the propensity so many star athletes have for cheating--in every sport--I can't get worked up over him in the same way that I used to.Very few of them are proud of it and brag about their cleverness.

But let's not make this into a Maradona derail.

If you want to see how the game should be played -- the beautiful game -- look no further than Lionel Messi.

Paul
06-13-2010, 03:38 AM
Ahh Messi. A joy. Apparently Maradona described him as selfish etc. not that i want to derail or anything...

robeiae
06-13-2010, 03:41 AM
Very few of them are proud of it and brag about their cleverness.Hmmm...I don't know about that. I think they're always proud when they "win." And they always take the money don't they?

But let's not make this into a Maradona derail.Okay.

If you want to see how the game should be played -- the beautiful game -- look no further than Lionel Messi.Right. I'd prefer a field full of Messis. Hell, I'd settle for a field full of Australians...

Priene
06-13-2010, 07:06 AM
I watched Green at Norwich and never saw him make a mistake anywhere close to that awful. Funny what nerves can do.

I thought the USA were lively and had a few chances, but England had more and should have won the match. Can't understand why Wright-Phillips gets in the team and Walcott stays home. At least Walcott has had one good England game.

And no matter how flagrant the "Hand of God" was, there's no getting around the brilliance that led up to that moment.

Paul Parker miskicking a ball over the heads of the England defence? Brilliant wasn't the word I'd used to describe it.

And ITV show how utterly it's possible to mess up by cutting to adverts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6YHr7jZsxg) while England are scoring.

Fallen
06-13-2010, 02:59 PM
A bit harsh Green's been given the 'Hand of Clod' title. Peed me off that Gerrard nor Lampard or any other team member offered any support to Green. They just turned their backs. Rather he screw-up now when it can be repaired than later on when it can't.

Lol. Just heard that apparantly the 2010 refs are being taught the top 20 swear words in English.

Anyone know where they can get a copy of the profanisaurus?

robeiae
06-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Good win for Ghana. Some boneheadedness from the Serbs.

Group D should be a lot of fun.

Priene
06-13-2010, 08:08 PM
The American press gets overexcited (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/it_cheeri_yo_ZnXMvwkaisNdboMtCjxy1J) about their team's so-so performance, and goes on to demonstrate a poor grasp of arithmetic:

http://a.yfrog.com/img96/413/zit.jpg

MrWrite
06-13-2010, 08:10 PM
The American press gets overexcited (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/it_cheeri_yo_ZnXMvwkaisNdboMtCjxy1J) about their team's so-so performance, and goes on to demonstrate a poor grasp of arithmetic:

http://a.yfrog.com/img96/413/zit.jpg

:ROFL:Imagine the headlines if they HAD won it! Btw if they'd lost 1-0 do you think they'd still claim a 1-0 win because they only let in 1?

Kitty27
06-13-2010, 09:04 PM
I know nothing about soccer. But I have to say it:

GO USA!

Good day,y'all.

waylander
06-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Algeria and Slovenia looked unimpressive so the USA should start favourites against both.
You guys up for the challenge?

rugcat
06-13-2010, 09:52 PM
The American press gets overexcited (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/it_cheeri_yo_ZnXMvwkaisNdboMtCjxy1J) about their team's so-so performance, and goes on to demonstrate a poor grasp of arithmetic:That's a take off on another famous sports headline (also tongue in cheek) from the sixties:

"Harvard Beats Yale, 29-29"

They even made a movie (http://www.kino.com/harvardbeatsyale/)about it.

You should be flattered; it's a tacit acknowledgment that the English side is the superior one.

rugcat
06-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Algeria and Slovenia looked unimpressive so the USA should start favourites against both.
You guys up for the challenge?Obviously both England and the US were hoping for a 1-1 tie.

But yes, USA (and certainly England) should win both those games. For the US, it's one thing to gain a point against a very good team, but they have to show they can defeat lower ranked teams as well. If not, they don't deserve to advance.

Priene
06-13-2010, 10:06 PM
I know nothing about soccer. But I have to say it:

GO USA!

Go where?

I never thought England would beat the USA in the first game, anyway. Eighth in the world versus thirteenth. The Americans were the only team to beat the Spaniards in about the last five decades and came damn close to winning the Confederations Cup. Weirdly, England have only become overwhelming favourites in that match after it was over. There's also an eye-opening streak of Anglophobia in American life that I've occasionally noticed. Seems to be getting worse at the moment.

Of course England and the USA are going to go through. Algeria and Slovenia looked awful. I have an odd feeling Slovenia are going to prove tricky for the USA, though.

rugcat
06-13-2010, 10:24 PM
There's also an eye-opening streak of Anglophobia in American life that I've occasionally noticed. Seems to be getting worse at the moment.The UK and US are seldom in conflict. But whenever they are the claws come out -- I think that's true on both sides.

And many in the UK consider Americans as a boorish and uneducated people, which they do not hesitate to say --albeit, politely. Americans resent this, and it also plays nicely into American "anti-elitist" sentiments; nothing makes Americans more angry than the suspicion they may be less intelligent or cultured than (Insert group of choice)

But this isn't P&CE -- let's stick to football, which is far more interesting than politics.

Albedo
06-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Hell's Bells, a point in the first 8 minutes for Germany?

Albedo
06-13-2010, 10:57 PM
D:

Klose has made this...no longer close.

waylander
06-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Half-time and Germany are kicking Australian ass.
They are 2-0 up and it could have been 5-0

CaoPaux
06-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Heh. I've finally got a chance to sit and watch the game -- and now understand the "swarm of bees" references. Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. http://bestsmileys.com/insects/4.gif

ETA: Red card for Australia! http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu198/ecostarr/onoz_omg2.gif

Albedo
06-13-2010, 11:48 PM
It coulda been worse. I coulda gotten up at 4:30 am to watch this.

OH WAIT

Albedo
06-13-2010, 11:53 PM
Fgngngngg

ETA: FNGGNGNGNGHGGHGNG

CaoPaux
06-13-2010, 11:57 PM
FgngngnggTranslation: 'nother goal for Germany.

And in the time it took to write, another one. Ouch. http://bestsmileys.com/comfort/1.gif

Albedo
06-14-2010, 12:05 AM
I'm considering going back to bed, because I know if I do that Australia will get five goals in ten minutes.

Albedo
06-14-2010, 12:21 AM
How many days until every spectacular loss gets blamed on those infernal horns? Because I'm willing to get started.

Socceroos are small, flying mammals that navigate by sound (echolocation). They emit ultrasonic chirps which bounce back as echoes. The echo theoretically allows the Socceroo to locate its target, such as a goal or even its half of the field. Unfortunately, Socceroos are easily confused by loud raucous crowds, getting disoriented and agitated, flying in messy spirals and colliding with one another. This leaves the Socceroo vulnerable to its natural predator, the Cleated German Ballsnipe.

CaoPaux
06-14-2010, 12:28 AM
*snerk* I'll join.

And I'll be watching the next game on Mute with Closed Captions.

MrWrite
06-14-2010, 12:30 AM
Commiserations to our Aussie friends but I have to say Germany are looking very dangerous. They have to be one of the firm favourites to win the cup after this power house display.

The sending off was harsh to say the least but I don't think it made any difference to the end result. Germany were already 2-0 up and looked in no mood to surrender that lead. Australia really have their work cut out for them now to get through to the second round especially with Ghana also having 3 points. That's a tough group.

Albedo
06-14-2010, 12:31 AM
http://images.smh.com.au/2010/06/14/1594623/cahill300-300x340.jpg
How's that expression go? Something about deers and headlights?

waylander
06-14-2010, 01:03 AM
Commiserations to our Aussie friends but I have to say Germany are looking very dangerous. They have to be one of the firm favourites to win the cup after this power house display.

Second that.

And either England or USA will get to play them in the first knockout round (unless someone mucks up against Algeria/Slovenia)

robeiae
06-14-2010, 01:20 AM
I was thrilled to see the ref issue two yellows for diving in that game. Cacau, especially, deserved it imo.

Beyond that, the Germans were definitely clicking. Congrats to Muller for getting numero uno.

mscelina
06-14-2010, 01:37 AM
Germany either looked totally badass or Australia looked totally bad. Either way, Germany is a team to watch out for.

robeiae
06-14-2010, 01:43 AM
It was a very selfless performance by the Germans. They keep that up and they'll go far. Really far. The passing was so sharp, for a few minutes there I thought I was watching hockey...

Fran
06-14-2010, 08:08 AM
Heh. I've finally got a chance to sit and watch the game -- and now understand the "swarm of bees" references. Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. http://bestsmileys.com/insects/4.gif

FIFA are now considering a ban. http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/13/world-cup-vuvuzela-ban-tv-complaints?showallcomments=true#start-of-comments

Priene
06-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Wow, that was a mismatch. Australia switched confederations (http://www.cansoc.org/showthread.php?26097-Australia-to-move-to-Asian-Confederation) to give themselves a better chance of qualifying. They might have been better concentrating on improving their play.

Wayne K
06-14-2010, 01:36 PM
I was wondering when they would get around to this http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/story/World-Cup-considers-ban-on-horns-061310?GT1=39011

Honestly, I had to turn the sound off.

Priene
06-14-2010, 02:22 PM
I like this bit

"We have asked for no vuvuzelas during national anthems or during stadium announcements. I know it's a difficult question

How are you supposed to know there's a stadium announcement when the lad behind you is hooting at 144dB?

Albedo
06-14-2010, 04:39 PM
All Vuvuzelas blow a B-flat, according to Wikipedia. It should be trivial for the broadcast boffins to filter the noise out for TV.

An own goal for Denmark. Ouch.

Priene
06-14-2010, 05:28 PM
All Vuvuzelas blow a B-flat, according to Wikipedia. It should be trivial for the broadcast boffins to filter the noise out for TV.

That's not what the man from Bose (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/jun/05/2010-world-cup-vuvuzela-history) says

Dan Gauger, research manager for noise reduction at Bose, says: 'The short answer is I don't see a way to do what you're looking for. While it's a fairly steady drone, it's made up of a lot of frequencies over a very wide range, which overlaps with a lot of the frequencies that the human voice occupies.' Take away the vuvuzela, in other words, and the commentators, the chants, the essential background hubbub of sport, would go too.

Personally, I'd filter the noise out by confiscating the bloody things at the turnstiles, but I'm kind of old-fashioned.

Fran
06-14-2010, 09:19 PM
I expect instances of insanity in people who got surround sound to watch the World Cup to be very high. :D

And plus, if they ban them, what'll be England's next excuse? ;)

*wanders off singing Scotland's unofficial footballing anthem, We're Shite And We Know We Are*

Which applies to pretty much all our international sporting endeavours, with the exceptions of Andy Murray and Chris Hoy. :D

Priene
06-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Don't forget Scotland's legendary achievements in the sport of women's curling, peaked with their glorious success at the 2002 Winter Olympics. That victory is still spoken of in hushed tones from Ecclefechan to Stromness.

Fran
06-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Oh, yeah, the curling. I always forget about that. Probably because it's so boring it creates a vacuum in my brain.

waylander
06-16-2010, 01:54 AM
Who expected it?
North Korea made Brazil work really hard for their 2-1 victory
Portugal and Ivory Coast can expect a very tough match against N Korea

rugcat
06-16-2010, 07:38 AM
Who expected it?
North Korea made Brazil work really hard for their 2-1 victory
Portugal and Ivory Coast can expect a very tough match against N KoreaSo far, none of the favorites have impressed me.

The Argentines were blah. The Dutch, who usually play such an attractive brand of football were lethargic and insipid. Italy, who don't, were equally unimpressive. Portugal looked uninterested. Brazil, usually a joy to watch, lacked their usual flair and looked quite ordinary, except in flashes.

Only Germany stands out -- but they were playing a lower ranked team who gave them tons of space and time to operate.I'll have to see them against a tougher side before I'm sold.

England, though they didn't convert on chances, outplayed an active and fairly strong US side, so this may bode well for them, better that I first thought.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Spain plays tomorrow.

poetinahat
06-16-2010, 08:09 AM
Wow, that was a mismatch. Australia switched confederations (http://www.cansoc.org/showthread.php?26097-Australia-to-move-to-Asian-Confederation) to give themselves a better chance of qualifying. They might have been better concentrating on improving their play.
Um, they were the first non-host team to qualify. And they lost one match in the entire run-up. One. So the switching confederations has to be seen as a great success. And how is this an either-or decision? Finally, they got hammered in one game - this does not make them a crap team. It makes them a team that played one crap game.

Given the fight they have to get any European players available for international matches (yes, I'm looking at *you*, English Premier League teams) and the gaffer's reluctance to use any players from domestic or Asian leagues, it's a wonder they get this far.

It would be nice if they actually developed any new players. They're playing pretty much the same squad as four years ago - only now they're four years older.

And now fricken Verbeek leaves two of the best scorers on the bench?!

The result was deserved, and I only hope the wake-up call wasn't too late. But I think the Socceroos missed the boat on selection; not enough goal scorers. So far, picking a defensive squad hasn't really worked out, has it?

And really - "Socceroos"? Please. The FFA wants us to refer to the sport as "football" like the rest of the world, and still this stupid name.

poetinahat
06-16-2010, 08:40 AM
The Argentines were blah. The Dutch, who usually play such an attractive brand of football were lethargic and insipid. Italy, who don't, were equally unimpressive. Portugal looked uninterested. Brazil, usually a joy to watch, lacked their usual flair and looked quite ordinary, except in flashes.
I watched the Netherlands/Denmark and Portugal/Cote d'Ivoire games. FWIW, the commentator on our end talked quite a bit about how important it was for these teams not to lose, since they could assume Brazil would top the group.

After the second half, the commentator was convinced - and I would've agreed - that the Portuguese were happy to play for the draw, while the Coasters were going for the win. (That all might have been different if Ronaldo's cracking first-half shot hadn't bounced off the crossbar.) The game was a pretty good illustration of how a scoreless draw can be exciting.

Yeah, I didn't see anything exciting about the Dutch either. Best viewing moment for me so far (and boy am I glad I missed the Australian debacle) - the thrilling last-gasp goal to the New Zealand side to grab a point from Slovakia.

Priene
06-16-2010, 08:43 AM
Um, they were the first non-host team to qualify. And they lost one match in the entire run-up. One. So the switching confederations has to be seen as a great success. And how is this an either-or decision? Finally, they got hammered in one game - this does not make them a crap team. It makes them a team that played one crap game.

Qualifying was certainly a great success. But that performance was abysmal. Of course, Germany are a bad country to play if you're not up to scratch, but right now Australia look like the worst team in the World Cup by some margin.

I've seen many fine Australian sports teams over the years, and I've not noticed sympathy for beaten opponents as an obvious feature of the Australian national psyche. Seeing Australia being slaughtered on a world stage is, well, quiet funny.

And really - "Socceroos"? Please. The FFA wants us to refer to the sport as "football" like the rest of the world, and still this stupid name.

It's certainly bad, and if I hear Bafana Bafana mentioned once more I think I'll scream.

poetinahat
06-16-2010, 09:16 AM
Qualifying was certainly a great success. But that performance was abysmal. Of course, Germany are a bad country to play if you're not up to scratch, but right now Australia look like the worst team in the World Cup by some margin.
No argument here.

I've seen many fine Australian sports teams over the years, and I've not noticed sympathy for beaten opponents as an obvious feature of the Australian national psyche. Seeing Australia being slaughtered on a world stage is, well, quiet funny.

Well, now we know how you lot feel. ;)

Albedo
06-16-2010, 09:52 AM
I think I'll switch allegiance to En Zed for this cup. They're awesome.

When you think about it there's no reason for an Oceanian league to exist, apart from maybe some obsessive-compulsive desire to have one federation for each 'continent'. Roll all the remaining members into Asia.

Priene
06-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Well, now we know how you lot feel. ;)

I think I'll switch allegiance to En Zed for this cup.

I for one have every confidence Australians can recover from this blow to their national psyche. Though it'll take quite an effort to forget that moment in the second half when the Aussie midfielders started looking like they wanted their mummies to pick them up early from playgroup. Let's just hope they don't get gubbed by Ghana on Saturday, eh?

waylander
06-16-2010, 10:15 PM
Spain - the pre tournament favourites - lose to 1-0 to Switzerland.
First major shock

robeiae
06-17-2010, 05:22 PM
The Argentines were blah.
They un-blahed today. 4 to 1 over South Korea. Pretty much through the group, now.

waylander
06-18-2010, 01:11 AM
That's France pretty much out then

MrWrite
06-18-2010, 01:20 AM
At least the competition is livening up now. With NZ beating Spain, Argentina turning on the style against South Korea and now Mexico beating France the last 2 days have been amazing. And what a treat in store tomorrow with germany, the US and England all to come.

MrWrite
06-18-2010, 06:07 PM
HA! What a tournament this is becoming. Germany can be added to the shock defeat by a "smaller" team. I hope this isn't a bad sign for England later. It's time to buck this continuing trend!

mscelina
06-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Although Slovenia scored early--in the typical US exposure in the early part of the first half--I am a little encouraged by the majority of the game so far being played on the Slovenia side of the field.

We shall see, though. We shall see.

Jcomp
06-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Ah hell. 2-0 already.

Calla Lily
06-18-2010, 06:51 PM
:(

Mr Flibble
06-18-2010, 06:52 PM
This doesn't bode well for England's match against Slovenia...

Man, it's really wide open this year! On results up till now, clearly it could be a shock team to lift the cup.

Calla Lily
06-18-2010, 07:08 PM
2-1. Looking up for the States.

Paul
06-18-2010, 07:37 PM
That's France pretty much out then

what a shame...

*cough* cheats *cough*

Paul
06-18-2010, 07:38 PM
WOW!!!

They deserved it though

course the bit of Irish blood does no harm....
;)

mscelina
06-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Where I come from, we call that a GOAL.

Paul
06-18-2010, 07:50 PM
it actually known as a
GOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!

Paul
06-18-2010, 08:02 PM
No logic to that disallowed Goal. Crazy bad decision.

Same with the German match, bad refereeing

rugcat
06-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Absolutely disgraceful.

Not just because it was the US, but to ruin an incredible comeback by any team by disallowing the winning goal for no discernible reason is unacceptable.

There's still no explanation of what the call was. I watched the slo mo replays a number of times and I'm at a complete loss -- the only thing I can see is Michael Bradly being held, which might even be worthy of a penalty in itself.

mscelina
06-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Man, it sucks to have to sit here and think, "The officiating was rigged" but I can't see any other reason for the US not to have won 3-2. Seriously.

Still, it was a hell of a comeback and not even a ridiculously bad ref can take THAT away from us. Would have rather had the points, though.

Mr Flibble
06-18-2010, 11:39 PM
Yeah the officiating is a bit...well, any time Terry goes near the Algerian striker, the Algerian falls over (at least once when Terry never even touched him) and they get a free kick.

Terry and Algerian go for the ball. Well, Terry does, Algerian goes for Terry's leg. Yet the ref gives it to Algeria....

ETA: Of course it would help if we could , you know, play.

regdog
06-18-2010, 11:47 PM
ETA: Of course it would help if we could , you know, play.

Well don't you just want everything:D

ETA: at least we know William and Harry are at the game. How many times are they going to tell us?

Mr Flibble
06-18-2010, 11:52 PM
I'm greedy like that

I bet you're just jealous of the northern monkey in my front room bellowing 'For FOOK'S SAKE! Bunch of fooking idiots' :D

MrWrite
06-19-2010, 01:49 AM
So we drew again. 0-0 against Algeria. Still...at least I can say we played well. No...wait....oh that's right...we didn't! :rant:

Eddyz Aquila
06-19-2010, 05:06 AM
I'm rooting for England and North Korea.

But what was that game with Algeria?!

rugcat
06-19-2010, 06:41 AM
Algeria played well, but still. . .

Considering the talent England has, the game they played was incomprehensible to me. Sloppy passing, not many ideas, and a step behind on almost every play.

If they don't pick up their game they could actually lose to Slovenia.

mscelina
06-19-2010, 07:05 AM
Who should absolutely have already lost once.

Mr Flibble
06-19-2010, 12:46 PM
But what was that game with Algeria?!

I don't know but it sure wasn't football!

Anyone else thinking a N.Korea v S.Korea final would be ...interesting?

waylander
06-19-2010, 12:52 PM
That was just awful.
England have rarely played as badly

Priene
06-19-2010, 01:07 PM
That was just awful.
Liechtenstein have rarely played that badly.

regdog
06-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Latest I heard on the news this morning, FIFA will all probability remove the official who cost the US their victory from any future 2010 WC matches.

That's fine but his blown call had better not cost the US a chance to advance to next round

MrWrite
06-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Hopefully we can both still go through. We've just both got to win!

rosiecotton
06-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Yeah, living in an Anglo-American household, I'm hoping they both go through, too. The US deserves it. England? Put it this way--my brother texted me during the game to say 'I want to put out my eyes'.

I love England, I always get behind England, but...

I'm sick and tired of the players looking like they couldn't care less. The majority stood still for 90 minutes--I mean, they weren't even present! I don't care if they lose as long as they give it their all--like the US did. I couldn't care less if they make up the team from players from Accrington Stanley to Crewe Alex as long as they're excited to be there, want to be there, and give it everything they've got for England.

But (sigh)... fingers crossed for Wednesday.

MrWrite
06-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Yeah, living in an Anglo-American household, I'm hoping they both go through, too. The US deserves it. England? Put it this way--my brother texted me during the game to say 'I want to put out my eyes'.

I love England, I always get behind England, but...

I'm sick and tired of the players looking like they couldn't care less. The majority stood still for 90 minutes--I mean, they weren't even present! I don't care if they lose as long as they give it their all--like the US did. I couldn't care less if they make up the team from players from Accrington Stanley to Crewe Alex as long as they're excited to be there, want to be there, and give it everything they've got for England.

But (sigh)... fingers crossed for Wednesday.

You said it all. I have no clue why they were so poor. Still as you say we have one more game. But I think if Capello picks the same team and they start off as bad I'll switch over to watch the US. At least the Americans play with pride and passion and want to win. I think the England Algeria game was the worst match so far.

rugcat
06-20-2010, 12:02 AM
I'm sick and tired of the players looking like they couldn't care less. The majority stood still for 90 minutes--I mean, they weren't even present! One of the ESPN commentators said he thought it wasn't a case of not caring, but a lack of confidence that caused that.

From my own experience, if you lack confidence, you tend to hang back, to try and make the safe play and keep your shape rather than go after the ball. It invades your mindset and it's hard to change that in the middle of a game.

Why they lacked confidence is another question -- it's not like they were playing Brazil or Spain.

mscelina
06-20-2010, 12:10 AM
Or, it could be that a team made up of outstanding players has found it difficult to translate that proficiency to a team of equals. We've seen that before *coughdreamteamnotcough*

Eddyz Aquila
06-20-2010, 05:26 AM
I support North Korea for this endeavour. The determination and ambition they showed with Brazil was more than evoking. It took Maicon's lucky goal to break the deadlock.

Mr Flibble
06-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Why they lacked confidence is another question -- it's not like they were playing Brazil or Spain.

Papers report this morning the Fabio is the main cause - things like not saying who the team will be till 2 hours before the match, not sure of his tactics, a very aloof managing style (what manager wouldn't at least say 'hi' when he passes a player in the hotel?), being forced to rest for 5 hours a day in their rooms making them stir crazy with boredom etc.

*sigh* There's always some excuse...but if that's true - this is the English press we're talking about - it goes a way to explain the lacklustre performances

ETA: Upon further reading, it appears Rooney being a prima donna isn't helping, she said tactfully.

rugcat
06-20-2010, 07:32 PM
ETA: Upon further reading, it appears Rooney being a prima donna isn't helping, she said tactfully.Meanwhile, the French, who have been playing even worse, sent Anelka packing for obscene comments made during an argument with the French coach.

Ah, the majesty of sport.

Priene
06-21-2010, 12:28 AM
Papers report this morning the Fabio is the main cause - things like not saying who the team will be till 2 hours before the match, not sure of his tactics, a very aloof managing style (what manager wouldn't at least say 'hi' when he passes a player in the hotel?), being forced to rest for 5 hours a day in their rooms making them stir crazy with boredom etc.

2006: it's all Sven's fault
2008: it's all McLaren's fault
2010: it's all Fabio's fault

I'm beginning to detect a pattern...

Mr Flibble
06-21-2010, 12:48 AM
2006: it's all Sven's fault
2008: it's all McLaren's fault
2010: it's all Fabio's fault

I'm beginning to detect a pattern...

Like I said, there's always an excuse...

waylander
06-21-2010, 02:17 AM
Not that the Italians are doing much better

Eddyz Aquila
06-21-2010, 02:49 AM
Good game Ivory Coast - Brazil.

But Keita is a better actor than many Hollywood stars combined. Something of a Materazzi 2010. Sending off Kaka for not even touching the guy and allowing a handballed goal?

Maradona, Henry, Luis Fabiano...Who's next?

Priene
06-21-2010, 07:42 AM
Zidane landed a pretty good headbutt on Materazzi, so it's not comparable. But the king of fabrications is Rivaldo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RKo_50sWW4), and he's Brazilian.

Mr Flibble
06-21-2010, 12:40 PM
But the king of fabrications is Rivaldo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RKo_50sWW4), and he's Brazilian.

I beg to differ (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2006/oct/02/legendsofthefall)

the greatest single exposition of the craft, which was performed in 1989 by the Chile goalkeeper Roberto Rojas during a World Cup qualifier match with Brazil. Faced with certain defeat and elimination from the World Cup, Rojas hit on a brilliant scheme - forcing the match to be abandoned. When a firework thrown from the crowd landed in his penalty area Rojas hurled himself down, took a razor blade out of his glove and slashed open his scalp. Carried off on a stretcher while his team-mates created a riot, his plan seemed to have worked when the game was stopped. Sadly his antics had been caught on camera

Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kru6KwnYYU&feature=related) he is, doing an oscar. A razor in his glove? He musta been a boy scout, cos that's going prepared.

Eddyz Aquila
06-21-2010, 07:42 PM
7-0. Ouch.

I was rooting for North Korea. To receive such a beating after losing only 2-1 to Brasil is harsh.

waylander
06-22-2010, 02:36 PM
France going out today

Eddyz Aquila
06-22-2010, 07:06 PM
I don't want to be in France right now.

MrWrite
06-22-2010, 07:24 PM
I am loving this game. South Africa are roasting the cheating french and giving them a big hand out of the competition. :D

robeiae
06-22-2010, 08:22 PM
A largely gutless performance, partially salvaged only by Ribery--who I generally can't stand--late in the game.

Eddyz Aquila
06-22-2010, 10:19 PM
Domenech just proved how much of a **** he is. How could you refuse to at least shake the hand of the other coach?

robeiae
06-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Domenech just proved how much of a **** he is. How could you refuse to at least shake the hand of the other coach?Yeah. That was just a super display* on the part of the French coach. France would do well to deny him reentry into the country.

* Sarcasm so thick and heavy, it could be Scottish food

Kaiser-Kun
06-23-2010, 12:07 AM
Out of three games, Mexico tied one, won one, and lost one. Just like 4 years ago. Even so, it classified to the next round, just like 4 years ago. And now it's going against Argentina... just like 4 years ago. When we lost. :(

robeiae
06-23-2010, 12:26 AM
I don't think things could have possibly gone better for Argentina than they did. They breezed through group, rested players (Messi can run all day and all night, and is probably better off not resting), gotten bench players involved (including a goal from 37 year old Palermo), and generally had a lot of fun, while really growing as a team.

Of course, you never know, but I don't think Mexico will be the favorite...

Paul
06-23-2010, 02:31 AM
I am loving this game. South Africa are roasting the cheating french and giving them a big hand out of the competition. :D

tut tut tut

:e2dance::badthoughts

Mr Flibble
06-23-2010, 06:36 PM
I think our team was abducted by aliens and have been replaced by clones who can play!

1-0!

Seriously, it's like a whole different team.

robeiae
06-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Yet another clean goal disallowed for the US.

It's almost like a pattern...

CaoPaux
06-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Yahooo!!!!

*koff*

Sorry. US 1 - 0 in overtime, or whatever they call the time tacked onto the end.

Paul
06-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Fab. congrats to USA and England

Mr Flibble
06-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Sorry. US 1 - 0 in overtime, or whatever they call the time tacked onto the end.

Injury time.

Go everyone! :D

robeiae
06-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Wait...the USA goal has been disallowed.

Mr Flibble
06-23-2010, 08:19 PM
What, the last minute one? They didn't show that on the highlights - they're reporting it a US win.

Wayne K
06-23-2010, 08:23 PM
:hooray:

Wayne K
06-23-2010, 08:24 PM
I give a lot of credit to the Algerian goalie. He had a couple of great saves

CaoPaux
06-23-2010, 08:39 PM
Wait...the USA goal has been disallowed.
:e2stooges

robeiae
06-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Okay, okay. The USA goal stands. But FIFA has arbitrarily awarded Algeria a goal in the game for "unspecified reasons." It's now a draw.

Wayne K
06-23-2010, 08:47 PM
Who do we play to a tie next?

Mr Flibble
06-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Okay, okay. The USA goal stands. But FIFA has arbitrarily awarded Algeria a goal in the game for "unspecified reasons." It's now a draw.

What?

Hmm can't see it reported anywhere, and the Fifa (http://www.fifa.com/)website still gives it as a US win.

MrWrite
06-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Congrats to the US and to England for two narrow wins. Boy did the yanks leave it late though. :partyguy:

mscelina
06-23-2010, 08:57 PM
He's being a smartass, IRU.

Mr Flibble
06-23-2010, 09:04 PM

It was the smart part I didn't associate with him. I expect the ass:D *runs away*

waylander
06-23-2010, 09:04 PM
That's more like it England. Should have been 3 or 4. Slovenian keeper had an excellent game.
Congratulations to USA - left it late though!

robeiae
06-23-2010, 09:13 PM
The entire US team was red carded for excessive celebration. Apparently, they all have to miss the next match.

Priene
06-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Engerlund, Engerlund, Engerlund. Ten German bombers. Rooney, Rooney, Rooney. Shearer, Shearer.

(Passes out polatic in a bus shelter)

regdog
06-23-2010, 10:10 PM
:partyguy::partyguy::partyguy: Yay USA

rugcat
06-23-2010, 10:50 PM
I didn't mind the disallowed US goal. Replay showed Dempsey was clearly onside, but it was a close decision and in the heat and speed of real time, refs do make mistakes. Very different than the travesty of the Slovenia disallowed goal. And maybe next time the US will benefit from a similar call.

Interesting now is how group D will finish. It's possible Germany will end up runner up, and the US team's reward for winning group C will be them, whereas England will back into playing Ghana or Serbia.

Also, contrast the French problems with their coach, England's testy relationship with Fabello, and the shot of Donovan hugging Bob Bradley in obvious genuine affection -- not just because they won.

Albedo
06-24-2010, 12:16 AM
I set my alarm and all, but when I finally woke up it was well into second half and the score was 2-0. And now it's 2-1. My eyeballs are cursed, I tell you.

Albedo
06-24-2010, 12:29 AM
Aaaaaand...we really lost this tournament in our first game.

Luckily, our government has exploded, which should provide some alternative entertainment over the next two weeks.

waylander
06-24-2010, 12:30 AM
So it is England/Germany on Sunday.
If you're going to win the World Cup you have to beat some good teams
Germany looked fragile against Ghana and Serbia beat them - game on.

USA can beat Ghana

Vincent
06-24-2010, 12:56 AM
So it is England/Germany on Sunday.
If you're going to win the World Cup you have to beat some good teams
Germany looked fragile against Ghana and Serbia beat them - game on.

USA can beat Ghana

And Germany beat us (Australia), we tied with Ghana and we just beat Serbia.

What a convoluted web.

MrWrite
06-24-2010, 01:13 AM
England v germany. What a game that's going to be! Bring it on!!!

MrWrite
06-24-2010, 01:19 AM
Someone just posted this on facebook..I had to share lol...

"This WC has turned out like ww2! The french surrendered early, US arrive last min and we're left to fight the germans!"

Paul
06-24-2010, 02:33 AM

"This WC has turned out like ww2! The french surrendered early, US arrive last min and we're left to fight the germans!"

:D naughty

Don't think USA will best Ghana, unless it goes to extra time. worth watchin. England should best Germany - just.

jvc
06-24-2010, 02:50 AM

:ROFL:

robeiae
06-24-2010, 03:04 AM
Too bad the US doesn't have Japan next.

rugcat
06-24-2010, 07:04 AM
USA can beat GhanaThey can -- but will they? Ghana looked dangerous in creating chances (though not finishing), and the US has looked vulnerable on the back line.

I think England will get her act together and beat Germany 2-0.

poetinahat
06-24-2010, 07:31 AM
So, is Portugal the real thing? They had an ordinary start, but seven goals, albeit on PRK...

My money's on Argentina for the whole thing. And I'd love to see New Zealand get through - then again, I'd be happy for Paraguay as well.

Albedo
06-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Go NZ!

Theirs must be the only group that is still wide open? For the next two hours.

Albedo
06-24-2010, 07:33 PM
C'mon, PAR vs. NZL. DO SOMETHING.

Albedo
06-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Slovakia's up 2-0 in the 80th minute. If I recall correctly from last time, this is where the Italians start falling over.

And still no movement on the Western Front. Slovakia and Paraguay through then? Ouch for Italy.

Albedo
06-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Okay, it went from 2-0 to 3-2 when I wasn't looking.
And now the Slovaks are succumbing to gravity.

robeiae
06-24-2010, 08:00 PM
I chose the wrong game to watch.

I'm disappointed for NZ, yet very happy for Paraguay.

And is it just me, or does that one Paraguay player look exactly like Khan Noonien Singh?

MrWrite
06-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Damn that was an amazing game. So Italy join France in the early flight of shame. Looking at the way they played in the last 10 minutes though you have to ask what happened in the previous games? It took for them to be on the verge of going out to suddenly start to perform. If they'd played that way for the other 80 minutes it would be a different story. On the whole I think they deserve to be out as they have been so negative and did dive for a penalty to gain a point in an earlier game. This World Cup is really living up to expectations now! :D

Who would have thought Italy would have finished bottom of a group that included Slovakia and New Zealand? :yessmiley

Priene
06-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Tough on NZ, but Slovakia deserved to go through, despite their magnificent diving skills. Italy took a right slapping.

waylander
06-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Hard to be sorry that Italy are out.
Spain next up on the chopping block?

robeiae
06-25-2010, 05:55 PM
We can only hope.

mscelina
06-25-2010, 05:57 PM
I'm pulling for Portugal this morning. :D

MrWrite
06-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Part of me would love to see Spain knocked out as it would be one more big rival out of the way. Part of me wants them to stay in as they are good to watch.

I'm hoping Portugal get turned over today just to see christina ronaldo whine again!

MrWrite
06-25-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm pulling for Portugal this morning. :D

Why? When they have the biggest diver in the world playing for them. Or are you a fan of the big girls blouse? ;)

Albedo
06-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Oh dear, NK is down two goals 20 mins in. Those chaps do not look happy. They must know where they're going.

Albedo
06-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Mind you, they're pushing hard now.

Albedo
06-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Ivory Coast has pushed it to 3-0, and apparently wiped out NK's goalie in the process.

Albedo
06-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Nope, he's alive.

MrWrite
06-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Pity North korea aren't. I think you're watching the better game. Brazil v Portugal is a bit of a bore now after a lively first half.

Albedo
06-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Having indulged in some spontaneous flat-field aerial parkour, the NK goalie is obtunded again.

Albedo
06-25-2010, 07:49 PM
And yet he arises, to soldier on.
I'm flicking between the two, MrWrite, with FIFA's live updates for the other game in another window. :) You're right, BRA vs POR is BORing.

MrWrite
06-25-2010, 07:54 PM
It finished a bore draw. damn. I expected an explosive game. The first half was good but the second half they looked like they were just going for a draw. Hopefully the Spain game will have more fireworks and some goals later.

Albedo
06-25-2010, 07:56 PM
And Cote wins convincingly, unfortunately not by the ridiculous margin they needed to get past Portugal.

Mr Flibble
06-26-2010, 12:31 AM
Paul the psychic octopus (no, I am not making this up (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/10420131.stm)) predicts a Germany win against England. He has a 100% record for correctly predicting results for Germany this world cup and had 80% at the 2008 European championship.

waylander
06-26-2010, 12:34 AM
Spain got lucky but go through.
Switzerland = rubbish

Priene
06-26-2010, 07:48 AM
Paul the psychic octopus (no, I am not making this up (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/10420131.stm)) predicts a Germany win against England. He has a 100% record for correctly predicting results for Germany this world cup and had 80% at the 2008 European championship.

Priene the psychic would-be-writer predicts a Germany win against England. We're shit, and we haven't knocked a top side out of any major tournament since 1966. I have an abysmal records for such things, mainly because I usually let my heart rule the head. Not this time, though.

waylander
06-26-2010, 11:37 AM
We're shit, and we haven't knocked a top side out of any major tournament since 1966.

Not true
Remember this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6VlNqyszVo

Priene
06-26-2010, 11:46 AM
That was in the group stages, though, I think.

Mr Flibble
06-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Besides which poor old Becks is on the side lines...

Tbh I feel for him, poor bugger. There he was, all geared up for what would be his last world cup then BAM!

And yeah, I'm with the octopus. Unless Germany are asleep, or our team can finally pull their finger out, I'm not so confident we can beat them.

Although a replay of that 5-1 would be nice :D I'm not exactly expecting it, you know?

Priene
06-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Although a replay of that 5-1 would be nice :D I'm not exactly expecting it, you know?

I'd take a spawny rebound off Crouchy's arse if that's all on offer.

Paul
06-26-2010, 05:02 PM

Well Paul the pervy octopus predicts England will win

The USA ghana will be very interesting.
I'd say it'll be a 1-1 draw at the 90 mins, with Ghana scoring first. then USA will get the second in extra time and go through.
If the US don't score in the 90 mins, they will probably lose as I expect Ghana to score in the 90 mins.

Paul
06-26-2010, 05:06 PM

Read that article, hilarious. so he was originally born in the UK? Wonder could he be done for treason?

CaoPaux
06-27-2010, 02:26 AM
Pass the bottle, will ya? *sigh* So close, so close ....

Paul
06-27-2010, 02:33 AM
Yeah, thought the US would get it in extra time, but no. guess Ghana was a little hungrier..

robeiae
06-27-2010, 02:46 AM
Is it just or does John Harkes--the color commentator--sound exactly like Mary Carillo from tennis broadcasts?

Wayne K
06-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Is it just or does John Harkes--the color commentator--sound exactly like Mary Carillo from tennis broadcasts?

Now that you mention it :roll:

poetinahat
06-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Having indulged in some spontaneous flat-field aerial parkour, the NK goalie is obtunded again.

QFExcellence

Priene
06-27-2010, 12:22 PM
And the tournament award for best jingoistic humour goes to the Sun for Germans are terrified of Three Lions (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3030891/Germans-are-terrified-of-Three-Lions-before-World-Cup-match-with-England.html).

Mr Flibble
06-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Oh I don't know, one of the German papers called our players little girls last week...

But I reckon Piers Morgan might take the prize (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1289831/PIERS-MORGAN-Achtung-Franz-Beckenbauer-For-Germany-ze-World-Cup--I-hope.html)

Paul
06-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Well England to win by one goal. I expect some controversial circumstances.

Oh and John Terry to score first. (25/1 outsider)
How bout that for a prediction, huh?

Mr Flibble
06-27-2010, 06:33 PM
Oh and John Terry to score first. (25/1 outsider)
How bout that for a prediction, huh?

Sadly inaccurate :(

ETA: bloody hell, that was close to getting one back
EETA: yay! Now another four or so and we can be happy :D - wait we scored again!Wait disallowed (it was a goal though, on the replay)

Albedo
06-27-2010, 06:41 PM
So when do we get a riot?

dolores haze
06-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Bah! Sounds like a fantastic game and, of course, ABC ain't showing it.

Mr Flibble
06-27-2010, 06:48 PM
So when do we get a riot?

Won't be long by the sound of the booing. It wasn't even a close call on that goal, it was pretty obviously over the line.

Why doesn't football use videolink refs like in rugby?

At least our guys are playing better.

Albedo
06-27-2010, 06:54 PM
My match predictions:

England to lose by one goal
England fans to reenact sacking of Bloemfontein
Mick Jagger to be crowned first King of the Free Free State
His first decree: a concentration camp to be built to house 'displaced' football officials

Albedo
06-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Oh dear me. 4-1.

Mr Flibble
06-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Ha, well just shows we can lose it all on our own without refs cocking it up.

*headdesk*

Lhun
06-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Heh, what a massacre. Can't wait to read the tabloid response, it's going to be hilarious.

aruna
06-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Heh. I'm watching this with my son. he's been wearing a German scarf all day and has hung a German flag from our window -- in Eastbourne! Better take it in soon before the yobs go past.
I feel sorry for the English team. I can't judge but In understand they are playing well.
But; well. We're German!

Priene
06-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Priene the psychic would-be-writer predicts a Germany win against England. We're shit, and we haven't knocked a top side out of any major tournament since 1966. I have an abysmal records for such things, mainly because I usually let my heart rule the head. Not this time, though.

Wow. So shit in so many dimensions. Shit team. Shit tactics. Shit defence. Shit midfield. Shit attackers. Shit substitutions. Shit manager. Shit officials. The Uruguayan linesman was so bad he was almost fit to play in England's back four. Hartlepool United and York City play in a more organised manner than our golden generation.

robeiae
06-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Klose. Just unreal. The guy just likes the World Cup.

Beyond that, best game to watch, so far. Very fun.

robeiae
06-27-2010, 08:28 PM
Wow. So shit in so many dimensions. Shit team. Shit tactics. Shit defence. Shit midfield. Shit attackers. Shit substitutions. Shit manager. Shit officials. The Uruguayan linesman was so bad he was almost fit to play in England's back four. Hartlepool United and York City play in a more organised manner than our golden generation.Don't be bitter. It could be worse. You could be French. ;)

Mr Flibble
06-27-2010, 08:30 PM
Wow. So shit in so many dimensions. Shit team. Shit tactics. Shit defence. Shit midfield. Shit attackers. Shit substitutions. Shit manager. Shit officials. The Uruguayan linesman was so bad he was almost fit to play in England's back four. Hartlepool United and York City play in a more organised manner than our golden generation.

Yup. Paul the psychic octopus musta seen the group games, because we've been shit from the start.

Don't be bitter. It could be worse. You could be French. ;)

Don't make me smack you

dolores haze
06-27-2010, 08:35 PM
I had to follow the England/Germany game via someone's live blog. Just not the same. Gearing up now for Mexico vs. Argentina. Go Mexico!!!!

Priene
06-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Don't be bitter. It could be worse. You could be French. ;)

Hey, I'm long beyond bitter. I've had forty years of this garbage: handballing foreigners, blind linesmen, crapulous goalies, wife-slapping wonderkids, thuggish, self-adoring superstars, petulant midfielders, wobbly-kneed penalty takers. Seen it all. Now including (and this is a first in any football match I've ever watched) a sequence that goes goalkick-bounce-bounce-nudge-back of the net. That may actually be the most pathetic piece of defending there has even been. Worse than even Phil Neville ever managed.

Headdesk. Facepalm. Exits to sound of mild sobbing.

robeiae
06-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Yeah, I agree it was bloody awful. And I don't think much of the keeper's play, at all. He was really weak, throughout. Guess they should have stuck with Green...

Paul
06-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Well England to win by one goal. I expect some controversial circumstances.

[

well I was half right...

Ouch. There's defeats and there's defeats. Ouch again.

Priene
06-27-2010, 10:03 PM
Ouch. There's defeats and there's defeats. Ouch again.

Yep. We just got mullered by the Germans in the World Cup. I've been trying to think of a worse England performance, but I'm coming up blank. Even Steve McLaren's Croatia fiasco was better. Or Graham Taylor's Swedes 2 Turnips 0 fiasco. It was horrible, pathetic and embarrassing. And watching it in a room full of Germans didn't make it any more pleasant.

Paul
06-27-2010, 10:06 PM
At least there's beer.