Born to be difficult

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoey_Killswitch

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, yes- newbie so please forgive any ill-placed posting. As general as I can possibly be: I have recently been trying to get my first "real" story published. My beta readers love it but I am having a really difficult time submitting the thing because of the mixed genre and length. It is just over 20k words and is, as best as I can describe, a paranormal erotic thriller---which means a spooky sort of twist, some explicit sex, but no HEA…So far the rejections I've received based on queries say basically: "story sounds interesting but not up our alley". Instead of trying to force myself into a more "mainstream" genre (I always do things the hard way), I'm wondering if anyone might have any ideas what sort of (reputable) agents or publishers might consider such a piece?

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
If you haven't been to duotrope.com, get there. They have a great search function that allows you to find magazines that accept specific genres, themes, and word counts. Most of what you'll pull up if you look for people who will publish 20K plus will be anthology or small press stuff. By and large reputable.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Since you're saying "agents" and "publishers," I'm thinking you mean this story is a book. At 20,000 words, that's way too short. If it's meant to be a short story, it's too long. As redzilla said, there are publishers of anthologies and novellas (short novels) out there. Duotrope.com is a good place to start.

And welcome to AW!

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
There are many small press and e-book markets that publish paranormal erotica. Check out sites like Ellora's Cave, Samhain, and similar markets.

At 20k, you're too long to be a short story, and are teetering close to novella length. I've never heard of an agent signing an author of such a short piece (but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened). Depending on the frequency and heat of your erotic elements, the current e-houses might be your best bet.

Zoey_Killswitch

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Yes but....oi....

Yup – length- see, that's one of my problems—but I don't want to pad something unnecessarily just to make it "fit-in" (and consequently possibly have the story drag); one comment I've gotten consistently from my test readers is they love the flow.

I've been to Duo Trope, Ivory Tower, Ralans, have my copy of the Writer's Market, etc, etc… and the few places that I submitted based on what I found basically said "doesn't fit our needs at this time"…which could be length OR content (or both, presumably, but I did target my search for word count and tried to look at those who accepted many similar genres). I don't want to give up on this story, but I feel like I'm trying to cut granite with a plastic spork. It's taking just as long to try and find any place where I might submit as it did to write the thing. Oi.

The issue with Samhain, Ellora's cave, (et alia), is that, from what I can glean, they are looking for something that ends HEA or HFN--- quite frustrating because my story isn't a romance per se…too much genre-bending (once a punk always a punk --story of my life, eh?).

I've been shopping around daily for the last several months simply trying to find someplace where this thing will fit--- which is why I thought that perhaps an agent might have a better clue. Obviously, being new in the marketplace (I've "thought about" getting serious for years but am finally trying out all that speculative research) I understand that it's that first piece that's the most difficult to get published (on average) and I am not doing myself any favors by starting out a maverick.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
You might consider setting it aside and writing something that's slightly more in line with what current markets are buying first. (My books tend to be strange things with no defining genre, so I sympathize). Perhaps you'll find it easier to place this one with some credits under your belt.

(I'm sort of just tossing around an idea. I don't really know if it would be a ton of help).

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother subbing to agents unless you have enough other novellas or shorts to make up an MS of around 80,000 words. And then you face this problem: short story collections are a hard sell, unless you're already a successful author, either of other books or of shorts published in well-known mags/journals.

The novelette and novella are rather the orphans of the modern market. Too long for most mags, too short for books.

If I had this 20,000 word MS on my desk and had exhausted all possibilities, I'd be looking for ways to lengthen it. Not with padding, but with real story, that is, with enough complications to get it to novel length. It might also be possible to excise a short out of it -- 2000-5000 word short stories will find a lot of markets. Anything over 5000, and your possibilities drop drastically. Yeah, I hate that. My natural "short" length is more like 6500-8000. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.