PDA

View Full Version : Sabrina the Teenage Witch

underthecity
06-15-2009, 06:18 AM
Does anyone watch this? It's a guilty pleasure: I love the show.

It's partially because I grew up reading Archie Comics, and with those, a lot of Sabrina comics. So, I was interested when they announced a series.

The show premiered in September (according to wikipedia) 1996, and we had gotten married in July. We started watching Sabrina every Friday night and it became a regular routine. I think we watched most of the seasons, catching as many episodes as we could, until the series went to the WB network and Sabrina moved out of her aunts and started going to college, working at the newspaper, etc.

I still enjoy watching it. I still think it's a funny show, and it also brings a wave of nostalgia back to the first year we were married, a different, simpler time.

In regular 1990s sitcom fashion, it had the laugh track, which is an aspect of a TV show that I've never minded. It's difficult for me to watch a comedy that has no laugh track (The Office, I think, is supposed to be a comedy), but I always feel strange when I'm the only one who laughs.

Anyway, its menagerie of characters is also what interests me. Her aunts, Hilda and Zelda, have their own lives and are usually involved in a B or C plot. Salem is a riot, with his sarcastic attitude toward just about everything, and whenever he helps Sabrina, things don't turn out the way she wants. The actor who plays his voice, Nick Bakay, sometimes appears in other series including King of Queens, where he has a rare, but recurring role as a priest.

Her friends at school as well as her teachers and Mr. Kraft, wonderfully played by Martin Mull, all add comic relief and loads of story material to expand Sabrina's world.

Unfortunately, the show changed when she moved out and enrolled in college.

In the first few seasons, the shows were primarily about how a teenage girl deals with learning how to be a better witch while trying to lead a "normal" life. She cast spells, explored her character, did a lot of really crazy things; it was a good show.

When she moved out, it turned into more of a traditional sitcom about a girl who's all grown up and moved out on her own. The focus went away from her being a witch to just dealing with her life and new menagerie of friends and coworkers. Any witchlike power typically happened twice, maybe just once per episode.

It was still funny, just not the same.

I suppose she couldn't stay young forever and always live with her aunts. But I always thought they could have done more in the later episodes.

tarcanus
06-15-2009, 06:55 AM
It's on in the morning before I go to work, and I catch 15 minutes of an episode each day. I used to watch it when it was on TGIF with Family Matters and Boy Meets World.

I don't really like the Sabrina shows and never really did. If she wasn't an idiot and actually did research on the spells she randomly decides to cast, her problems would've never happened. Of course, then there wouldn't have been a show, but shows that rely on the protag being an idiot always irk me.

Boy Meets World was the sitcom god, compared to all of the others.

Leah_Michelle
06-15-2009, 07:26 AM
I :heart: Salem.
That cat makes me crack up all the time.