June 2009 Query Contest

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Welcome back to the Freelance Writing Contests. Our first contest, decided on by a poll, is the Query Letter.

“jdkiggins” said:
The purpose of this contest is not so much to win a prize as it is to engage you in a realistic approach to improve your writing skills and chance of publication. A completed article, essay, or query letter ready to send for publication, will be a token to yourself and your writing career. And yes there will be a prize, too

This activity is aimed to enrich your freelance skills, generate article ideas, encourage you to produce copy that is satisfactory for publication on a timely basis, accustom yourself to receiving assignments and deadlines, and encourage you to fully read guidelines before submitting.

The entries will be numbered and titled without attribution.

ASSIGNMENT:

Query letter

Topic: Writer’s choice

Pick a magazine you want to write for. Study their guidelines and editorial calendars. Write a query letter for an article idea you would like to write.

Check the Current Magazine Mastheads sub-forum for a list of magazines and links to guidelines. Remember, too, the thread about editorial calendars for magazines. It’s the Editorial Calendar Game.

For more ideas, there’s the Markets For Freelancers thread with a variety of market listings.

If you need a refresher on writing query letters, read Query Letter Lessons to help you get started. There’s also an article I wrote for TutorialBlog called Writing a Query in Four Easy Steps.

Rules:
1.The query letter must be no longer than one page in proper format.
2. Title your entry. Example: “Query to Shape for the Live Healthy section.”
3. One entry per person.
4. Do not place your name and address at the top of your query letter. The following will be fine to use.
(My name)
(Address)

How to Enter:

DO NOT POST YOUR QUERY IN THIS THREAD.

Use AW’s private message feature to send me your query letter. Put "Query Letter Assignment" in the subject line.

** Any entries that do not meet the guideline will be disqualified and put in the editor’s slush pile. This should be a reminder to read and follow guidelines.

Deadline: Friday, July 3, 2009, before 10:00 PM US Eastern.​

Everyone wins! Your prize is a completed query to an editor for a magazine with an idea you want to write.

OTHER PRIZES WILL BE ANNOUNCED SOON.

Last edited:

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
I didn't get a single one.

That's partly my fault because I wasn't here often borrowing Joanne's whip to see if anyone was working on anything. I've been having issues between my ISP and AW and haven't been able to get in from home (it's letting me in tonight, though, for some reason).

After I get back in town tomorrow and can get online, I'm going to post and see if we want to try it again or just call it done.

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
yes please! I'd love to enter, just as soon as the choas stops. Actually, I'd enter regardless. Can we please have an extension? :D

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Jen has some real life issues that will need her attention right now so the contest is on hold until further notice.

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, this sounds like a fab idea!! :)

I read some of the older threads in this fashion (February 2008! lol! :)) & some of the queries there are really fab! (& I want to read the articles! :))

Where & how can queries be submitted & is it a rule to really submit them to magazines too, or just here? (or first here & then there, or..? :))