Primeval

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, do any of you Brits know what's going on with this show? I started watching via BBC America, gradually got hooked, and then started to get annoyed.

Spoilers for any who haven't seen it and want to ...

So one character vanishes because of tinkering with the past (which I get), and is replaced by the same actress with a different name, different background, etc.

Okay. Some interesting possibilities there.

Then the male lead's longtime sidekick gets killed (and eaten, I think) or otherwise vanishes. He was good-looking, so I miss him, but I was, admittedly, annoyed with the character development that had him involved with (and seemingly in thrall to) the male lead's trouble-causing ex-wife.

Then the male lead was apparently killed ("apparently" because I can foresee some plot twists that could bring him or some version of him back), which I didn't like. Maybe the actor wanted off the show, or maybe you on the other side of the pond have the same pressures US networks impose to tinker with casts to make them younger or more interesting or more attractive, because --

New character comes on, and he's more action-oriented, plus taller and maybe somebody's idea of a better "leader" for this bunch of intrepid anomaly-and-dinosaur-chasing bunch, because --

The actress who's now played two different characters, Claudia and Jennifer, has apparently left the team, the project, and the show, and New Guy gets her job.

And there's also a New Girl who's a bit more exotic, more scientific, and arguably more attractive joining the team.

So I'm just wondering if all the changes are permanent, and whether I should expect a revolving door of characters from here on out.

I really like Connor, like Abby, even like New Guy and New Girl, and the Head Guy is amusingly sarcastic and poker-faced, and I like him better now than I did in the beginning.

But I'm not going to waste my time if the characters/actors are going to keep changing.

I think you guys generally get the Brit series over there before they air here on BBC America, so ... should I tune out, or keep watching?

Or am I the only one watching this? :e2paperba

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I love Primeval (see my Avatar :D)

Douglas Henshall (who plays Cutter, the one offed by his wife a couple of weeks ago), is more of a stage actor. He wants to go back to the theatre, plus, he's better known for edgier, post-watershed type roles. I don't think he wanted to be stuck with a programme that has the potential to run and run.

I'm not sure why Lucy Brown left. I seem to remember reading somewhere that she was pregnant.

The producers have written a fourth series but I don't know that ITV (the network it airs on in the UK) have taken up the option yet.

I'm hoping there are no more changes too. I wasn't all that wild on Jeremy wotshisname taking over but he fits in well and I love his rubbery face and sticky-out ears. He's a good fit. Ben Miller (the cynical boss-man) is better known for comic roles, and he's brilliant in this. Great, throw-away one-liners.

I'm sticking with it. My son loves it because, of course, like most boys, he's a dino-freak.

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, thanks for the info. I had noticed your avatar, and hoped you were using it because you were a fan of the show and not just the actor. He's terrific, but it did strike me that he might be a bit too enigmatic and low-key for the action-oriented slant the show was taking. (Either that or the writers had made an unusual choice in the personality of the MC.)

Interesting that Ben Miller is better known over there for his comic roles -- I had no idea. He's great in the straight-man, sardonic role.

I have my DVR set to record this show, so I'll probably keep watching through this season/series, at least. I'm wondering if they'll do anymore of the tricky sort of meddling-with-time stuff that gave us Jennifer for Claudia or stick more with straight let's-get-the-monster-of-the-week plotlines.

We'll see, I guess.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Just heard that ITV have decided not to renew Primeval for a 4th series.

RickN

Registered
Reaction score
I really wanted to like this show. I thought the subject was intriguing and the special effects, for a TV show, were pretty good. But I got bored after 4 1/2 episodes.

I really wanted Henshall to smack his wife upside the head. After all she leaves him for years, then comes back with all kinds of cryptic warnings and stuff. Since she eventually kills him, it seems that would have been to his benefit to off her in Series 1. :)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really wanted to like this show. I thought the subject was intriguing and the special effects, for a TV show, were pretty good. But I got bored after 4 1/2 episodes.

I really wanted Henshall to smack his wife upside the head. After all she leaves him for years, then comes back with all kinds of cryptic warnings and stuff. Since she eventually kills him, it seems that would have been to his benefit to off her in Series 1. :)
You gave it much more than I did. I quit after the first episode. Henshall's kid is being held after school when a T-rex comes exploring the building. First off, as loud as T-rexes are portrayed in movies and TV, this one is pretty much sneaking around on tippy-toe; nobody hears it. Then -- the deal killer for me -- after the commercial, T-rexes are apparently smarter than we thought because it's in the school and on the floor where the kid and teacher are.

1) Dinosaurs know how to use doors?
2) They can use stairs?
3) They can surmise that by using the door to get into the school and the stairs, they can find the correct room?

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
Just heard that ITV have decided not to renew Primeval for a 4th series.

Well, crap.

I hate it when I invest time and energy in a series only to have it pulled or otherwise discontinued. Especially when the writers/producers aren't given any time to wrap up the inevitable loose ends.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw that ITV decided not to renew Primeval for a fourth season, but apparently the production company is desperate to continue the series. Hopefully they can work something out. (story here http://io9.com/5291085/primevals-time+hopping-cut-short ) There's also talk of an American Primeval series, though frankly I foresee that sucking big time.

Primeval's a bit silly, but I think it's really hard to find decent SF TV, so I stick with it despite the plot holes. Also I love the guy who plays Connor. Can I have more of him please?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I liked watching Primeval casually but couldn't bring myself to treat it as prime time viewing. The characters were certainly engaging and the actors did their best (tho' the revolving door didn't help). Alas, some of the plots were full of holes as big as the anomalies.

-Derek

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought Primeval was some of the most fun SF to hit TV in a long time. I greatly enjoyed the first two series, though I have to admit that the revolving door in the third has greatly lessened my enthusiasm. It's really gutsy to replace your lead character in mid-stride, but I was willing to give the new guy another couple shows to see if I like him or not (I'm in the States, so I'm only up to about episode 6). With the news that it's not going to be continued, I'm even more dubious about investing the effort, I have to admit.

Just is my luck, though. I start liking a show and it gets canned. I hate a show and it goes on forever. Oh why can't I like American Idol? *sigh*

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
I saw that ITV decided not to renew Primeval for a fourth season, but apparently the production company is desperate to continue the series. Hopefully they can work something out. (story here http://io9.com/5291085/primevals-time+hopping-cut-short ) There's also talk of an American Primeval series, though frankly I foresee that sucking big time.

Primeval's a bit silly, but I think it's really hard to find decent SF TV, so I stick with it despite the plot holes. Also I love the guy who plays Connor. Can I have more of him please?

Damn, the third series/season ends with a cliffhanger???

I HATE that. It's happened countless times on this side of the pond, inevitably because the desperate writers and producers decided to do something Dramatic at season's end to hopefully lure new viewers.

Then the shows vanish forever.

Now I'm not sure I even watch to watch the rest of the new episodes.

And, I agree, if a US production company takes it on, it's likely to be crap. (We have a poor track record even at the bigger budget networks for trying our own version of Brit shows -- Cracker being an absolutely prime example of a wonderful show Americanized past the point of recognition. I still shudder.) Sci-Fi could do it, if they did it right. They've done okay with some of their original series -- though their made-for-Sci-Fi movies have seriously sucked sewer water.

All that said, I haven't exactly lacked for decent shows to watch now that we have so many "cable" channels producing some decent stuff. I get a kick out of Psych and Monk on USA; Sci-Fi did a great job with Stargate Atlantis (and I want to see the Stargate Universe show coming up) and Eureka -- though Sanctuary struck me as sort of weirdly scattered and not well-thought-out. TNT has The Closer and Damages and Leverage. HBO and Showtime have come up with some real winners, notably stuff like The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Rome, The Tudors, Dexter, and Nurse Jackie.

So it's not like I don't have enough stuff to watch. :D

Thank God for DVRs. And DVD season sets.

And the occasional rainy/snowy day I can use to catch up on everything I have recorded ...

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Well, holy crap.

Why is it that always when I get involved into a show they have to cancel or destroy the show in other really bad ways?

I'm currently watching Season Three and I just heard that it will end with a cliffhanger and that there won't be a fourth season.

At least end things with a movie?

Please?

Le sigh.