PDA

View Full Version : Every time I use an ellipsis...

scarletpeaches
06-14-2009, 07:41 PM
...I want someone to kick me in the face.

One in the thread title, one in the first line of this post. That's two freebies. Go for it!

(There are eleventy billion in my manuscript to use against me, too).

Adam
06-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Ugh, I use FAR too many, too...

That and semi-colons; even where they ain't needed.

*Winds leg up for a kick*

Gah, I can't do it! Iz against mah principles.

scarletpeaches
06-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Go shorty, it's ya birthday.

(And I told you to, so it doesn't count).

AnonymousWriter
06-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Sorry, my legs are too short. I can't reach.

However, I'm sure James McAvoy would do it for ya.

Millicent M'Lady
06-14-2009, 07:51 PM
Would you prefer I use my Converse or dig out a pair of stilettos gathering dust in the back of my wardrobe?

Hang on. I need to stretch out my hammies... Dammit, don't kick me!

scarletpeaches
Sorry, my legs are too short. I can't reach.

However, I'm sure James McAvoy would do it for ya.

Goddammit, I love your avatar so much I feel wobbly inside.

Would you prefer I use my Converse or dig out a pair of stilettos gathering dust in the back of my wardrobe?

Hang on. I need to stretch out my hammies... Dammit, don't kick me!

Kick me three times with your stiletto heels. That should make a mark in the shape of a damn ellipsis and remind me of my sins...

ARGH! There you go. Another freebie.

DWSTXS
I was ellipses-addicted. . . until someone on AW gave me a come-to-jesus talk. . .and that kicked me off the habit. . .and I stopped. . .sorta. . .of course, I'm a vegetarian too. . .not a strict one, mind you. . .I mean. . .I eat meat.

I hope that was helpful.

CACTUSWENDY
06-14-2009, 07:52 PM
....what ever do you mean?...too many?

But...they look so pretty...and...well...you know...they do serve a purpose.

....wonders off...

The Grump
06-14-2009, 07:54 PM
What's wrong with poor little ellipses ...?

I think they are kinda cute. Besides, they are great to indicate pauses in dialog. Or dotty people who can never finish a sentence.

scarletpeaches
06-14-2009, 07:55 PM
I use so many I feel like I'm turning into ruddy Danielle Steel.

Manix
06-14-2009, 07:58 PM
That's...um...ellipsi...for those of you well-versed in Latin...

KTC
06-14-2009, 07:58 PM

One in the thread title, one in the first line of this post. That's two freebies. Go for it!

My foot would tire after about 6 billion. Can I just shoot you with a gun.

Kevin, who has an absolute love affair with ellipses.

scarletpeaches
06-14-2009, 07:59 PM

Kevin, who has an absolute love affair with ellipses.

I'll kick you in the mukluk.

KTC
06-14-2009, 08:04 PM
I'll kick you in the mukluk.

No...you can kick me in the pound cake with a mukluk, but you can't kick me in the mukluk. I'm not wearing any.

scarletpeaches
06-14-2009, 08:06 PM
I was using a euphemism and DON'T THINK I DIDN'T SEE THAT ELLIPSIS YOU SNEAKED IN THERE, MISTER!

Millicent M'Lady
06-14-2009, 08:07 PM

Gah, KTC, you have to alternate legs. If your own get tired, borrow a neighbour's, a friend's or a co-worker's. It's for the good of literature!

Seriously, though- what's wrong with ellipsi (thanks for the Latin lesson Manix!) Where are you using them in your WIP?

KTC
06-14-2009, 08:08 PM
I was using a euphemism and DON'T THINK I DIDN'T SEE THAT ELLIPSIS YOU SNEAKED IN THERE, MISTER!

I know. I thought my euphemism was better. I don't sneak in ellipses. I'm addicted. They are taking over my life.

Lisa Cox
06-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Ugh. Don't. I'm worse with semi-colons, though. We're having an illegitimate love affair.

KTC
06-14-2009, 08:09 PM
I'm going to stick with the English plural form... ellipses. I once knew a Latin guy I couldn't stand. (Maybe because he kept kicking me whenever I... you know.)

Lisa Cox
06-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Yeah, modern English states its ellipsis for one, ellipses for plural. Like crisis and crises. :-)

Millicent M'Lady
06-14-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm going to stick with the English plural form... ellipses. I once knew a Latin guy I couldn't stand. (Maybe because he kept kicking me whenever I... you know.)

:ROFL:

scarletpeaches
06-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Gah, KTC, you have to alternate legs. If your own get tired, borrow a neighbour's, a friend's or a co-worker's. It's for the good of literature!

Seriously, though- what's wrong with ellipsi (thanks for the Latin lesson Manix!) Where are you using them in your WIP?

All over the place, but particularly in dialogue. My characters start speaking and then...bottle out of saying what they were about to...you know...and pause...to think for a bit...

I know. I thought my euphemism was better. I don't sneak in ellipses. I'm addicted. They are taking over my life.

My addiction is ridiculous. And to think, they join up words according to MS Word's word counter so if I remove one ellipsis, I bump up my word count by one.

I could probably increase my count by eleventy billion if I remove my ellipsiseses.

Ugh. Don't. I'm worse with semi-colons, though. We're having an illegitimate love affair.

Gah! Commas. Blinkin' commas everywhere.

Lisa Cox
06-14-2009, 08:13 PM
My dear friend/beta wants to shoot me in the head whenever she reads my work, I'm sure. Commas everywhere.

Gah! Commas. Blinkin' commas everywhere.

Millicent M'Lady
06-14-2009, 08:16 PM
My dear friend/beta wants to shoot me in the head whenever she reads my work, I'm sure. Commas everywhere.

Want me to kick her arse for you when I get my legs back from kicking Scarletpeaches?!

What, you mean, me? Shucks kid, I'm honoured!

scarletpeaches
06-14-2009, 08:18 PM
I don't see any head-kicking going on here, yet.

KTC

My legs are long, but not that long.

scarletpeaches
Mine go all the way down to the ground.

Lisa Cox
Honoured because I fear you're going to shoot me in the head? o.0 I KNEW IT.

Want me to kick her arse for you when I get my legs back from kicking Scarletpeaches?!

What, you mean, me? Shucks kid, I'm honoured!

KTC
06-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Mine go all the way down to the ground.

Yep...so they don't cross the ocean either. Thought not.

Adam
06-14-2009, 08:21 PM

:kiss:

Ohhhhh, KICKING. My bad.

Millicent M'Lady
06-14-2009, 08:22 PM

*kicks scarlet in the head* Pushy, pushy! You feel better now?

Honoured because I fear you're going to shoot me in the head? o.0 I KNEW IT.

Hmm... I fear I've said too much...

Damn it, I've caught ellipses/ellipsi/whatever...:eek:

scarletpeaches
06-14-2009, 08:24 PM
*kicks scarlet in the head* Pushy, pushy! You feel better now?

*OUCH*

Yeah, much. Thanks.

Millicent M'Lady
06-14-2009, 08:27 PM
*OUCH*

Yeah, much. Thanks.

Glad to be of service.:D

Lisa Cox
06-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Glad to be of service.:D

How are you going to get your 2k done with all this kicking and shooting? PRIORITIES, WOMAN! ;)

I did warn you I would nag. Even publicly. :tongue

scarletpeaches
06-14-2009, 08:53 PM
2k? Pfft. Amateur. I've done 821 in the past hour or so.

Think of how many would show on my MS Word counter if I cut all those ellipses!

92,231...Jebus. And to think I wanted to stop this thing at 80k. Some hope.

ARGH! ANOTHER ONE GOT IN! SOMEONE KICK ME!

Millicent M'Lady
06-14-2009, 08:53 PM
How are you going to get your 2k done with all this kicking and shooting? PRIORITIES, WOMAN! ;)

I did warn you I would nag. Even publicly. :tongue

Damn it, I miss anonymity! Sorry miss, I'll do better next time...

I'm up to 500 words, I swear!

Millicent M'Lady
06-14-2009, 08:55 PM

Think of how many would show on my MS Word counter if I cut all those ellipses!

92,231...Jebus. And to think I wanted to stop this thing at 80k. Some hope.

ARGH! ANOTHER ONE GOT IN! SOMEONE KICK ME!

How the hell do you manage that with that post count?! I'm beginning to suspect you're not human but some ellipsis lovin' android mofo.

*kicks Scarlet* Serves ye right for making me feel bad!:D

scarletpeaches
06-14-2009, 08:58 PM
:D Ta, love.

It comes from hanging out (online) with tt42. Adzmodeus calls her a 'robot ninja from the future with pens for fingers'.

Really it's practise. I've always written. Always. So it's second nature to me. My best daily count is nearly 9k. Lori's? Jesus. Ask her when she's back online; it'll astound you.

Maybe I am weird. Heh. Focused? Who knows? It's just...I sit down at the computer and switch it on, and when I say 'it', I don't just mean the laptop!

Oh, do you see what I see? GET TO KICKIN'! :D

Lisa Cox
06-14-2009, 08:58 PM

Dude, obsessive AW-posting doesn't count. :tongue

I've done 18k in little over a week with a toddler AND a mentally-deranged SO. I'm awesome, yes? ;)

(Seriously, you kick ass. Wish I knew your secret.)

scarletpeaches
06-14-2009, 08:59 PM

I've done 18k in little over a week with a toddler AND a mentally-deranged SO. BEAT THAT!

Is that all? :tongue

I once did over 10k in a day.

ETA: Actually, scratch that. Some of it was pasted-in paragraphs from an earlier draft. If we're talking brand spanking new words, around 9k is my record, as I mentioned upthread. I'm desperate to break the 10k-in-a-day barrier with new writing, though.

Lisa Cox
06-14-2009, 09:00 PM
I echo others. You're not human.

Adam
06-14-2009, 09:01 PM
I echo others. You're not human.

This is true, I have proof. Meet me in the parking lot at midnight and I'll show you pickshures.

scarletpeaches
06-14-2009, 09:02 PM
What! Who said that?

*tears off human skin to reveal lizard underneath*

I'll take you all on!

Lisa Cox
06-14-2009, 09:03 PM
This is true, I have proof. Meet me in the parking lot at midnight and I'll show you pickshures.

And piss off the freaky writing-machine android? Uh, NO. I cherish my life. ;)

Millicent M'Lady
06-14-2009, 09:04 PM
*Kick* I'm a good fwiend.

:D Ta, love.

It comes from hanging out (online) with tt42. Adzmodeus calls her a 'robot ninja from the future with pens for fingers'.:roll:

Really it's practise. I've always written. Always. So it's second nature to me. My best daily count is nearly 9k. Lori's? Jesus. Ask her when she's back online; it'll astound you.

Maybe I am weird. Heh. Focused? Who knows? It's just...I sit down at the computer and switch it on, and when I say 'it', I don't just mean the laptop!

Oh, do you see what I see? GET TO KICKIN'! :D

I've written a lot but still I can't bring myself to matching that. I guess I need to practice more...

I've done 18k in little over a week with a toddler AND a mentally-deranged SO. I'm awesome, yes? ;)

Bad beta, you're making me feel ashamed! (Yeah, yeah, turns out that makes you a good beta but I'm sulking!)

scarletpeaches
06-14-2009, 09:04 PM
Wait 'til Lori (tt42) gets here. Just you all wait!

She's like...she's like me, only version 2.0.

Lisa Cox
06-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Wait 'til Lori (tt42) gets here. Just you all wait!

She's like...she's like me, only version 2.0.

If I promise never to doubt your questionable, alien-like, freakazoid abilities again, will you have her spare me? ;)

Millicent M'Lady
06-14-2009, 09:09 PM
What! Who said that?

*tears off human skin to reveal lizard underneath*

I'll take you all on!

And piss off the freaky writing-machine android? Uh, NO. I cherish my life. ;)

It's alright. I've got back-up.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/funny-pictures-just15minutes-geico.jpg

Lisa Cox
06-14-2009, 09:13 PM
You, me and psycho kitty against the androids...

Yeah, I think we should run that way -->

Lisa Cox
06-14-2009, 09:15 PM
We promise not to kill you as long as you email both of us all the photos of Colin Farrell in your possession.

I knew there was a reason I was holding off selling them to a tabloid.

scarletpeaches
06-14-2009, 09:17 PM
If I promise never to doubt your questionable, alien-like, freakazoid abilities again, will you have her spare me? ;)

We promise not to kill you as long as you email both of us all the photos of Colin Farrell in your possession.

It's alright. I've got back-up.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/funny-pictures-just15minutes-geico.jpg

OH NOES! TEH DEATH KITTEH!

I knew there was a reason I was holding off selling them to a tabloid.

Heh. Now it looks like you quoted me before I posted.

Aaaaanyhoo...you know where to send 'em. ;)

Millicent M'Lady
06-14-2009, 09:19 PM
http://blog.ecr.co.za/cockontheblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/farrell-colin-portrait-6500081.jpg

There ye go. Be warned pen fingers, if I find any ink on him I'll know what you were up to!

You, me and psycho kitty against the androids...

Yeah, I think we should run that way -->

Nah, it's okay. Apparently music and gratuitous pictures of Colin Farrell soothes the savage beast.

scarletpeaches
06-14-2009, 09:21 PM
They do. They really do. (Even though the quote is actual 'soothes the savage breast').

30STM on the CD player, Colin on my screen and a song in my heart.

That's the secret to a 10k day, ladies.

Lisa Cox
06-14-2009, 09:23 PM

But what do I do about the attention-whoring three-year-old? Tape him to the wall with a sock in his mouth?

Millicent M'Lady
06-14-2009, 09:24 PM
They do. They really do. (Even though the quote is actual 'soothes the savage breast').

30STM on the CD player, Colin on my screen and a song in my heart.

I have no interest in discovering why your breasts are savage...:scared:

I had a "take one Colin Farrell orally" joke in mind which promised to get the thread locked... :D

Millicent M'Lady
06-14-2009, 09:25 PM
But what do I do about the attention-whoring three-year-old? Tape him to the wall with a sock in his mouth?

Apparently, that's child abuse. Damn government, always stickin' their nose in.

scarletpeaches
06-14-2009, 09:26 PM

Yep; that's how you treat 'em!

You got a broom cupboard somewhere?

I have no interest in discovering why your breasts are savage...:scared:

I had a "take one Colin Farrell orally" joke in mind which promised to get the thread locked... :D

Please don't. As someone who's never been banned or had a thread locked, I'd hate to spoil my perfect record.

*cough*

(Tell me in rep points; I'm such a rep ho).

Cassiopeia
06-14-2009, 09:43 PM
I only use them in chatting or on the forum posts. I avoid them like the plague in my MS. I'm having an affair with winks, -- (dashes) and I murder commas whenever I get the chance.

scarletpeaches
06-14-2009, 09:47 PM
That's the kind of no-nonsense approach I need.

But how to get rid of them in dialogue? How do I stop my characters pausing?

Cassiopeia
06-14-2009, 09:54 PM
That's the kind of no-nonsense approach I need.

But how to get rid of them in dialogue? How do I stop my characters pausing?

Well that's the thing. We all know that in conversations people get interrupted. However, in reading it makes for a stilted conversation. So I've made a habit of having my characters doing something while they are conversing so I don't have to say, she paused...she hesitated...she broke off...blah blah blah.

There are times though when it is appropriate.

"If you really insist--"
"On interrupting y--"
"See. There you go again--"
"I know it's a bad and very rude habit." He looked away. "I'll try not to do it again."

I also avoid dialogUE tags with extended descriptions. For example;

"Give that back." Martin exclaimed as he swung around to snatch his baseball cap back from me.

I've always felt that dialogUE tagues should be short and to the point, IF you insist on using them and sometimes we have to for the sake of clarity.

I stick to he said, or she asked.

No-nonsense enough? ;)

scarletpeaches
06-14-2009, 09:56 PM
I think I've got that nailed; it's just that my characters will say things like:

"Cass? You know when I...oh hell, this is embarrassing but I may as well say it...the thing is...how do I stop using ellipses?"

Bah!

Cassiopeia
06-14-2009, 09:58 PM
I think I've got that nailed; it's just that my characters will say things like:

"Cass? You know when I...oh hell, this is embarrassing but I may as well say it...the thing is...how do I stop using ellipses?"

Bah!Try this:

"Cass? You know when," I hesitated, "oh hell this is embarrassing but I may as well say it. The thing is, how do I stop using ellipses?"

scarletpeaches
06-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Bingo!

*foresees love affair with commas and split sentences*

Thanks Cass. :D

Cassiopeia
06-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Bingo!

*foresees love affair with commas and split sentences*

Thanks Cass. :Dahahaha...KILL THE COMMAS...but sometimes, we HAVE to use them.

ETA: I have to admit, I used to avoid them from editing people's work who over used them. But commas have their place.

KTC
06-14-2009, 10:52 PM
The one with ellipses reads better for me. I like it best.

HelloKiddo
06-14-2009, 11:51 PM
I liked Cassi's suggestion, but if you get bored of interrupted dialogue here's some alternatives:

"Cass? You know when I--oh hell, this is embarrassing but I may as well say it. The thing is, how do I stop using ellipses?"

Or

This was uncomfortable and I stumbled over the words. "This is embarrassing but I may as well say it. How do I stop using ellipses?"

^^Something like that is how I would do it.

I'm not sure it's necessary to show all the pauses and the umms and wells that exist in real dialogue. I once transcribed a lengthy conversation and it's shocking how many umms and pauses and sudden subject changes occur in natural dialogue, yet they are almost never seen in great literature.

I think if the scene is written well it will be conveyed that the character is uncomfortable.

Cassiopeia
06-15-2009, 12:33 AM
The one with ellipses reads better for me. I like it best.Pot stirrer!

Oh, you do not. You're the KING of commas. ;-)

KTC
06-15-2009, 12:41 AM
Pot stirrer!

Oh, you do not. You're the KING of commas. ;-)

Leave my DIRTY LAUNDRY out of this! I happen to like grammatically correct sentences. Hmph!

Cassiopeia
06-15-2009, 12:45 AM
Leave my DIRTY LAUNDRY out of this! I happen to like grammatically correct sentences. Hmph!

So, then YOU, are saying that...ellipses make for grammatically correct sentences?

KTC
06-15-2009, 12:47 AM
So, then YOU, are saying that...ellipses make for grammatically correct sentences?

I was talking about your attack on my use of commas, missy. The comma after YOU above was incorrect. Just saying.

Cassiopeia
06-15-2009, 12:49 AM
I was talking about your attack on my use of commas, missy. The comma after YOU above was incorrect. Just saying.I know, it was INTENTIONAL? Man, sometimes you just don't get my humour.

*shake her head* Canadians.

KTC
06-15-2009, 12:52 AM
I know, it was INTENTIONAL? Man, sometimes you just don't get my humour.

*shake her head* Canadians.

**shakes her head even harder**

Americans!

Cassiopeia
06-15-2009, 12:55 AM
**shakes her head even harder**

Americans!OY! easy there mister, I need them marbles to stay relatively still and in my head or I might lose them!

ccv707
06-15-2009, 02:10 AM
Punctuations are our friends! We just can't abuse them, or they'll turn on us...in which case they'll overrun our world and it will be a punctuation apocalypse.

Salis
06-15-2009, 02:15 AM

I actually don't mind them too much, especially in dialogue. I think they're fairly forgivable there.

Once you start using them frequently as periods and commas, though, yeah, I guess that gets out of control.

DWSTXS
06-15-2009, 02:19 AM
My new positioning statement on the ellipses thread:

Every time I use an ellipsis. . .an editor gets his wings. . .

HelloKiddo
06-15-2009, 02:24 AM
Every time I use an ellipsis. . .an editor gets his wings. . .

Every time you use an ellipsis God kills a kitten.

Cyia
06-15-2009, 02:48 AM

Bah!

My characters tend to do this when I'm throttling them and choking off their air supply. Removing my hands from around their necks allows for air flow, but it's far less satisfying artistically. :D

thethinker42
06-15-2009, 03:37 AM

Works on my husband. *shrug*

thethinker42
06-15-2009, 03:39 AM
Punctuations are our friends! We just can't abuse them, or they'll turn on us...in which case they'll overrun our world and it will be a punctuation apocalypse.

Great. Our readers will turn into zombies and take to the streets moaning "Commas...Coommmmaaaaass...."

Cyia
06-15-2009, 03:43 AM

Ahem...

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg274/ErisFury/1-26-ducttape.jpg

:D

The Lonely One
06-15-2009, 03:47 AM
You know what they say about idle hands...

thethinker42
06-15-2009, 03:47 AM
Ahem...

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg274/ErisFury/1-26-ducttape.jpg

RESULT!! Add a pacifier, and INSTANT WRITING TIME!

scarletpeaches
06-15-2009, 03:52 AM
You know what they say about idle hands...

Yeah, I do that every time I read one of tt42's books.

thethinker42
06-15-2009, 03:56 AM
My best daily count is nearly 9k. Lori's? Jesus. Ask her when she's back online; it'll astound you.

Best EVER? Somewhere in the high 20's. I want to say 26K or 28K, but I don't remember exactly (lost the file that had it). Every last bit of which is trunked along with the rest of that particular draft, which was a colossal assembly of fail.

Best since I actually learned to write worth a damn? I've had a few 12K+ days.

But, as mentioned in another thread: I'm unemployed, have no children, no social life besides my husband, I don't drive in this country, and I live in a country in which I don't speak the common language. Time...I has it. Writing...I does it.

And I just used 2 ellipses in one paragraph. *hangs head in shame*

thethinker42
06-15-2009, 03:57 AM
Yeah, I do that every time I read one of tt42's books.

I'm touched.

scarletpeaches
06-15-2009, 03:57 AM
Not the only one. ;)

The Lonely One
06-15-2009, 03:59 AM
I feel like I'm reading one of her books right now!

Haggis
06-15-2009, 04:18 AM
Wait a minute. Today I used three of them damn elip ellop elapthree dot thingies in a single sentence. Do you mean to tell me I'm going to burn in the Eternal Fires of Damnation because of it?

scarletpeaches
06-15-2009, 04:19 AM
Probably.

But...I thought you ran the place?

ARGH! AN ELLIPSIS!!!

Manix
06-15-2009, 04:20 AM
Wait a minute. Today I used three of them damn elip ellop elapthree dot thingies in a single sentence. Do you mean to tell me I'm going to burn in the Eternal Fires of Damnation because of it?

You mean to say you weren't already???

thethinker42

I think at this point, your Rampant Abuse of Ellipses is pretty much a moot point in terms of casting you into the fiery pits.

The Lonely One
They're like weeds but...slower...

Haggis
06-15-2009, 04:27 AM
Oh, crap. I guess I'll have to use--em dashes from now on. Even if they're not--appropriate.

Matera the Mad
06-15-2009, 05:33 AM
Alas for the Legion of Lapsed Ellipsists :(

SPMiller
06-15-2009, 05:58 AM
I agree. Ellipses in narrative are pure evil. I can tolerate them in dialog.

dancingandflying
06-15-2009, 06:12 AM
I hate ellipses. They're just so . . . ugly.

Oh god, what have I done?!

d&f.

megan_d
06-15-2009, 07:29 AM
But...