PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Promotion

Nandi
06-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Do you use postcards to promote your book?

If so, do you prefer the standard size or the larger (8-1/2 x 5-1/2) size?

Thanks!

Michael Murphy
06-18-2009, 12:10 AM
I found them to be of minimal impact. Used the standard size.

Team 2012
06-18-2009, 06:37 AM
Does this really make any sense? Buying cards and paying to mail them? To whom?
You've got a snail mail list, but not email lists to mail to for free?

Handing out bookmarks or business cards makes sense. Even posting bills or stickers, maybe. But postcards?

Don't get it.

Thrillride
06-23-2009, 06:34 PM
This is interesting because I have an author friend who has 40-some-odd books published and she always does postcards (she must have a reason).

Nandi
06-23-2009, 07:29 PM
My book has a niche market, and while I have access to many snail-mail addresses for people who would be interested in purchasing my book, I do not have a similar database for e-mail addresses. That's why I have chosen to include postcards as part of my marketing strategy. I have designed and ordered the larger postcards. They are attractive, eye-catching, and allow me to add more text on the back.

Thank you for the responses.

SandraBeckwith
06-24-2009, 12:42 AM
Hi Nandi,

I think they make sense for niche markets. Have you ever used Vistaprint to produce them? If you sign up for their mailing lists, you get lots of offers for free products and all you pay is the shipping -- which is very affordable if you're not in a hurry. I have business cards for each of my books (the graphic is the book cover) and have never paid for them other than a couple of bucks for shipping.

Regardless, best of luck with your postcard campaign!

Sandy Beckwith
www.buildbookbuzz.com

Nandi
06-24-2009, 12:58 AM
Hi, Sandy

Yes, I did use Vistaprint for my postcards, but I wasn't clever enough to do what you did. I'm signing up now for those free offers! Thanks.

SandraBeckwith
06-24-2009, 01:11 AM
The one thing to be careful about with Vistaprint is that as you're checking out, they ask you to participate in something -- I forget what -- and if you do, you are automatically enrolled in some "club" that charges an annual fee to your credit card. So don't do anything extra! Other than that, the products are excellent, and, like I said, often free!

Sandy

Nandi
06-24-2009, 01:28 AM
Yes, Sandy, they really do push a lot of products at you at checkout, don't they? I've just ordered a set of book-related business cards, to replace the more generic cards I'd purchased a couple of years ago from them.

Do you order bookmarks from someplace? Vistaprint doesn't seem to offer those.

SandraBeckwith
06-24-2009, 01:34 AM
I don't order bookmarks so I can't help there at the moment. Maybe somebody else here has a good source. Have you thought about making a suggestion to Vistaprint? What do you have to lose, right?

Mr Flibble
06-24-2009, 11:59 PM
Do you order bookmarks from someplace? Vistaprint doesn't seem to offer those.

They don't, but consider a nice bookmark size is about half a postcard....

I put two sets of the art side by side, ordered them and then got them chopped in half when they arrived.

SandraBeckwith
06-25-2009, 04:21 AM
Great idea! Thanks!

Sandy

Nandi
06-25-2009, 03:28 PM

I put two sets of the art side by side, ordered them and then got them chopped in half when they arrived.

Ditto what Sandy said!

lediana
07-16-2009, 08:07 AM
credit auto (http://simulation creditauto.net/)

Thanks for the suggestion, I wish it had worked.

nitaworm
08-04-2009, 02:56 PM

That's a really good idea. I am going to do that and save some $$. I have had a difficult time trying to find a site that would let me design my own bookmark. Not to mention the prices are higher than postcards.

Thanks for sharing this.