The Best Small Publishers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnight92

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new here and I would very much appreciate any help from anyone. I would like to know which are the best small publishers that do not require an author to have an agent. If there is a link to a publisher you know of that fits this criteria, please go ahead and include it as well.

Thank you all in advance.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Well, we need more information. What do you write? Not all small presses accept every genre. Many of them are speculative fiction only, some Romance, some will take a variety but might have a word count limit.

So, tell us what you wrote, maybe we can help you find what you're looking for.

Midnight92

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both. What I've written is a fantasy for 9-14 yr olds, although from what some (not family..LOL) have read, they agree that it can easily satisfy both YA, and adults as well.

Sorry I forgot to include that tidbit.

frandavea

Registered
Reaction score

I submitted to an Echelon imprint, Quake, which handles YA fiction. I received a request for the full manuscript a month later. That was over a year ago, and I never heard back, despite multiple inquiries. So either they are waaaaaaay behind, or they don't reply if they don't like it. If it's the latter, I would think they'd respond out of plain courtesy, since they requested the manuscript.

Thomas Scot

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new here and I would very much appreciate any help from anyone. I would like to know which are the best small publishers that do not require an author to have an agent. If there is a link to a publisher you know of that fits this criteria, please go ahead and include it as well.

Thank you all in advance.

You might try http://www.writersmarket.com

It's the online version of the Writer's Market, only better because it updates continuously, has links to agents and publishers who have an on line presence and you can filter by the type of publisher who wants your kind of fiction, filter by small press, accepts unagented subs, etc.

It's pretty handy.

The caveat is that you do have to 'purchase' access. Although one year of access is equivalent to buying the book.

Best of luck, Thom.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I'd also cruise through the Preditors and Editors (google it) publisher's list.

Be aware, however, that there aren't a lot of small publishers that do YA, but there are a few, and not too many that have bookstore distribution. So if you can live with that, have at it.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
I think Predators and Editors is a great source. They also attempt to evaluate their suitability from other author inputs. That's how I found my publisher and I am very happy with them (they don't do YA).

EchelonPress

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to an Echelon imprint, Quake, which handles YA fiction. I received a request for the full manuscript a month later. That was over a year ago, and I never heard back, despite multiple inquiries. So either they are waaaaaaay behind, or they don't reply if they don't like it. If it's the latter, I would think they'd respond out of plain courtesy, since they requested the manuscript.

Careful what you say in public, someone might be reading it.

We have been posting notes all over looking for you because we have wanted to offer you a contract, but your cover letter never made it with the rest of the manuscript as it got passed from editor to editor, so we have been looking for nearly 4 months. There was no contact information on your actual manuscript so we had no idea how to get int ouch with you, and we never received any of the e-mails unless they went to editors who have come and gone...and there have been a few, but your book got passed along and we want to buy it.

So stop talking smack about us...heehee...and get back to me.

Karen Syed
[email protected]

A publisher should never have to work this hard to find an author...commitment? I got it!

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Thank you both. What I've written is a fantasy for 9-14 yr olds, although from what some (not family..LOL) have read, they agree that it can easily satisfy both YA, and adults as well.

Sorry I forgot to include that tidbit.
Your profile doesn't say where you live but if you're interested in a Canadian publisher I'd recommend Thistledown Press in Saskatchewan. They were great to work with and accept YA.

Midnight92

Registered
Reaction score
Ishtar's Gate: thank you for your recommendation. I checked out their website before, and found that they only publish Canadian authors, from what I read in their About Us section.

But thank you just the same.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

We have been posting notes all over looking for you because we have wanted to offer you a contract, but your cover letter never made it with the rest of the manuscript as it got passed from editor to editor, so we have been looking for nearly 4 months. There was no contact information on your actual manuscript so we had no idea how to get int ouch with you, and we never received any of the e-mails unless they went to editors who have come and gone...and there have been a few, but your book got passed along and we want to buy it.

Karen Syed

A publisher should never have to work this hard to find an author...commitment? I got it!

Kudos, Karen, for sticking with it. And welcome to AW.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score

:ROFL: Note to self: the header with my name and contact details is important.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If anyone is interested in a high-quality mid-sized publisher of traditional print books (hardcover, mass market paperback, and trade paperback), take a look at Medallion Press. They are selective but this data is from their current webpage:

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]27% of all Medallion authors are award winners[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]42% of all Medallion authors have been nominated for awards[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]65% of Medallion authors who have been nominated have won awards[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]16% of Medallion authors are multiple award winners[/FONT]

Last edited:

frandavea

Registered
Reaction score

Karen Syed
[email protected]

Yeah, commitment you got! The smack stops here. Glad to finally know you.

Tallent

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Oh, please tell me this is a joke. For some reason I just can't tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchelonPress

Karen Syed
[email protected]

EchelonPress

Registered
Reaction score
No joking matter

Definitely not a joke. I was looking, he is found and now has a contract with us to publish Killer Cows. Why would you tink it was a joke?

Oh, please tell me this is a joke. For some reason I just can't tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchelonPress

Karen Syed
[email protected]

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Too sahweet!!
Congrats on both ends!

Tallent

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Definitely not a joke. I was looking, he is found and now has a contract with us to publish Killer Cows. Why would you tink it was a joke?

It seems to me that tracking down an author is a lot of work for a publisher. So, I thought it was another AW member playing a joke. But, wow, congratulations to you both.

Status
Not open for further replies.