When to take a querying break

Jordan Kane

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been covered. I searched through the last several pages and didn't find anything.

Is it reasonable to stop querying while requests are out? I queried 15 agents, and of the one's who have responded, I had requests from nearly half and an invitation to revise and resubmit from another. I know it could take months to hear anything on the requests that are pending, but I'd like to see if I get feedback in line with the first agent's suggested revision. If I hear the same thing, I'd obviously like to revise the manuscript before sending it out to more agents.

Part of me feels like I'm wasting time by stopping at 15, especially when I see stats of authors who have queried closer to 50, but I also don't want to risk rejections from potential agents that could be avoided by revising based on feedback.

I'm sure it's just a matter of individual preference, but I'm interested in hearing other people's strategies.

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you're having great stats! Since you're asking what we would do, I say -- wait. A bit. Maybe two weeks. Then send out another batch of five. Two more weeks. Another batch. rinse & repeat. It's not like you're hurting yourself -- agents are actively reading your book in the meantime. And that way, you'll almost definitely get some feedback before running through your list of tops (unless you just get a call). Good luck!!

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
In your case, you can probably stop and take a break. I kept going because at first I was getting rejection after rejection. I had sent over 90 queries. Then all of a sudden 3 full requests came within 7 days. I think I can take a break now, too. :)

Danthia

I queried eight on the first (and only as it turned out) pass. I'd say you're fine. I assume you queried the agents you'd most like to be with first? If so, then there's nothing wrong with sitting back and seeing how those 15 pan out before sending any more. Especially if the feedback you received resonated with you.

Catadmin

An Author in Search of a Plot
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brandietarvin.net
I'm querying in small batches too. 1) Because it gives me time to do research on the individual agents and taylor my queries to match. 2) Because having more than a handful of queries out at a time can get confusing. I'd hate to respond to the wrong queried agent because I wasn't keeping my list manageable.

Lastly, I want to give my top picks a chance to request more information. So far, all the ones I've queried promise responses even if it's a rejection. I'm going to do the "no response is a rejection" type agents last if I even get that far.

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I'd wait for the feedback. On my second requested full, the agent rejected it but with some helpful advice. I fixed the ms and sent out the partial to the next two agents who had requested it (I had already received another rejection on the full--too romantic for her taste; and one on a partial.). Unfortunately I did something stupid with the voice on my revisions that resulted in two more rejection. :( The agent had told me to trust my writing. It was stronger than I realized. Apparently I didn't listen to her.

Another agent requested a full and rejected it, but told me she'd be glad to see revisions and pointed some stuff out. I agreed with her, thinking I was in for a major rewrite. Four days later, yet another request for a full by an agent at a major agency who enjoyed my first chapter (the voice hadn't developed a multiple personality until the second chapter ;)). I spent one and half weeks fixing the voice (which was actually easy to do), adding two new chapters (went along with what the agent and a writer friend had suggested), and added a bunch of other things to improve it. Another writer friend read the new version and loved the changes. I'm now waiting to hear back from the one agent before sending it to the agent who requested revisions (unless agent #1 offer representation :D).

Hopefully the one who has your ms will love it, or will at least give you feedback to help you improve it for the next request. ;)