Five irrefutable reasons you need to outline your story before you write it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Storyfixer

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyfix.com
Okay, there's really only one, but it's killer.

This one is as controversial as stem cells in Utah. Many great writers, like Stephen King, advocate responding to a story idea by simply sitting down and letting it rip, allowing the muse to take over and guide you toward your story. If you're King, if you're someone who has mastered the issues of structure, character, theme and execution that comprise solid storytelling, this could work... the story would flow from your brain with everything in the right place.

Imagine Tiger Woods telling a would-be professional golfer, who hasn't played the game all that long, that she should just "get out there and swing." Such advice from writers who think their way is the only way is irresponsible and dangerous.

What this approach essentially says is that you use the writing process -- actually creating a draft -- as a vehicle to explore your story options. To find the story, to develop the characters, to explore your themes. Which means, you'll need draft after draft to uncover your options and explore them (how the fit into the flow) before you come up with the optimal mix. Jeffrey Deaver brags he does 22 drafts of every novel he writes. Guess he's no Stephen King afterall.

I say this is an insane way to write a book. Why? Because you can develop the story, or at least 95 % of it, BEFORE you write a draft. You can engage in the very same wonderful creative exploration process without spending two months of your life writing a draft. When you become an architect of your story in the form of a blueprint, or a sequential outline and a list of checklist-driven components -- imagine a builder arriving at a job site with the intention of "just start building" with the hope of coming up with a functional design after several tries... even King and Deaver would think this is nuts... -- it all goes faster, it's smoother, it's clearer, and it takes a fraction of the time. And what you end up with is orders of magnitude BETTER than if you just winged it.

You'll still find dead ends and story problems this way, but instead of trying to engineer the fix into your manuscript-- this is what happens when you encounter a problem mid-draft; you try to fix it without starting over, because starting over sucks -- you'll fix it at the outline stage before you even start.

Does this work? Well, I sold the first draft of my first novel this way, and then three more. Only one required a rewrite at the editor's request. And this was with a major NY publisher. I base my writing workshops on this developmental process, and my instructional website. You owe it to yourself to investigate writing your next project this way... after 20 years of teaching, I've never had a writing student say it doesn't help them, even just a little (most say it has changed their writing life). Some say it's the best thing about writing they've ever heard.

Stephen King, you're a genius... but leave the teaching to the professionals.

Last edited:

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Um, Stephen King WAS a teacher.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
What works for one does not work for all. Outlining is the kiss of death for me. I simply bore myself into hating the story- I am no King but I have to let the muse take me where she will. In effect my first draft is my outline. I have written 9 books this way.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Outlining works for me, but I would never assume that it would work for everyone.

Storyfixer

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyfix.com
Obviously, his ego got in the way of his truth. Just because it works for him, doesn't mean its the best way for others to approach something as daunting as constructing a novel. Sure, his way works... nine drafts later. Life's too short. (And, trust me, King doesn't do nine drafts... he publishes his first drafts... which is why they're all over 1000 pages, nobody in NY can edit him.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, outlining doesn't work for me. It constrained me and that particular book has been languishing on the back burner for years.

Different strokes for different folks. There's no right or wrong way, just the way that works best for the individual writer.

This kind of talk reminds me of what happened to a friend of mine. She went to an Art School, she was a good artist, with a distinct style. By the time she'd finished at this 'art school', her work resembled everyone else's. That isn't art, that's mass production.

Reaction score
Obviously, his ego got in the way of his truth. Just because it works for him, doesn't mean its the best way for others to approach something as daunting as constructing a novel. Sure, his way works... nine drafts later. Life's too short. (And, trust me, King doesn't do nine drafts... he publishes his first drafts... which is why they're all over 1000 pages, nobody in NY can edit him.

Kettle? Hi. I'm the pot. And by the way - you're black.

Oh, and not everyone looks upon writing a novel as 'daunting'. Mmmkay?

Storyfixer

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyfix.com
Kids, kids... didn't say it was the only way... just another way if you're tired of writing draft after draft and still not getting it where you want it. It's all good, whatever works for you. Chill.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Yup-and he called us 'kids" I'm telling!

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I can't outline the next SCENE let alone a whole story. When I do, it's rather pointless because shortly after I begin writing, the things my characters say change everything and I have to scrap any notes for the future. Only the barest notes, and usually ones on timing, are the only thing that works for me.

My novel isn't published yet, but I've got over 50 short stories of all lengths that have been published. Not a one of them was outlined.

Of course, there's a problem with the claim that King publishes first drafts. One of this quotes:
“How much and how many drafts? For me the answer has always been two drafts and a polish (with the advent of word processing technology, my polishes have become closer to a third draft).” Stephen King
(from http://ulfwolf.com/revision.htm)

Storyfixer: Can you provide some evidence to suggest that King doesn't revise?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Meh. Outline = No

I never met an outline I liked. I do not outline. They are a prison to me.

The outline issue is one to be taken on a case by case basis--writer by writer basis. End of.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
While you're at it, show me the 781 pages that are obviously missing from my copy of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

Dale Emery

is way off topic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dalehartleyemery.com
Many great writers, like Stephen King, advocate responding to a story idea by simply sitting down and letting it rip, allowing the muse to take over and guide you toward your story.

Do you have a source for your claim about what King advocates?

I don't think he advocates that at all. I recall that in On Writing he advocates getting to know the characters quite well before starting to write. I don't have my copy in front of me, so I can't quote.

(And, trust me, King doesn't do nine drafts... he publishes his first drafts... which is why they're all over 1000 pages, nobody in NY can edit him.

I don't trust you, and now I trust you less. First, not all of his books are over 1000 pages. This is easy to check, and you are mistaken.

Second, I don't think King routinely publishes his first drafts. On Writing includes an example of his own edits. He has said (I forget where) that he relies heavily on his editors, and that they clean up all kinds of stuff.

So I don't know whether he does nine drafts, but (unless he is lying) he certainly does not routinely publish first drafts.

I have no first-hand knowledge of King's writing practices, so I may be mistaken about how often he publishes first drafts. Do you have sources for your claims?

Dale

Storyfixer

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyfix.com
Because I don't have a photographic memory, all I can say is this: I read an inteview where King says the story pours from his head, pretty much in tact. It pours from most of ours a scattered mess (which is why he should suggest we do it his way, as a rule). His "drafts" are tweaks and enhancements, the kind of thing everybody does. A draft is a change to the sequence of the story, an add or a delete, or a change of context.

In a field in which nothing is certain and there is no right or wrong -- William Goldman said, "Nobody knows anything" in reference to the movie biz; same is true of the book biz -- I'm amazed at the defensive reflex demonstrated here to make someone who doesn't do it "your" way wrong. For me, organic writing is crazy. And, in my experience (which I'll pay money is a thicker file than anybody's here), the field of fantasy and sci-fi has the most organic writers in it. Maybe it's the nature of the game. Hey, whatever works, just tryin' to help. I've had more stubborn people than these tell me, after they've learned to outline correctly (from a criteria-based structure) that they were shocked and amazed.

Caramia

Alliteration Afflicted
Registered
Reaction score
I spent about 10 months working out every detail for the characters, the setting and every other little detail I could come up with. I then spent 5 months writing eight chapters, perfectly. It was very intricate, but I thought smooth. Posted one chapter in SYW and it got shredded.

That same night, I tossed out a chapter with new characters, new story, new setting and not an ounce of research or planning and posted it to a much more positive reception. I'm now on chapter 8 of this one and loving it immensely. The feel is much more organic and real to my mind.

Doing it 'the right way' is something that has to be learned individually, I think. My right way wasn't my original way obviously. Just because I failed at outlines doesn't mean it is a bad concept, it works great for others. Doing it without an outline works great for me :)

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Kids, kids... didn't say it was the only way... just another way if you're tired of writing draft after draft and still not getting it where you want it. It's all good, whatever works for you. Chill.

You're saying chill...but you began the thread extremely preachy. In fact, you said "I say this is an insane way to write a book". That's a good reason for a non-outliner to become touchy. To become un-chilled.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well, call me crazy, I don't mind.

Anyone want eggs with their spam?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Actually, you said, or at least implied, that it's a much better way. Few people are total outliners or total wingers. Most of us fall somewhere in the middle, and what works for one may not work for another.

If you haven't figured that out after 20 years of teaching, kid, you might want to open your mind a bit.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
A gentle suggestion for the OP: AW isn't your typical writing board, so you may want to check things out a bit before assuming that people here are newbie or inexperienced writers. Just sayin'.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Because I don't have a photographic memory, all I can say is this: I read an inteview where King says the story pours from his head, pretty much in tact. It pours from most of ours a scattered mess (which is why he should suggest we do it his way, as a rule). His "drafts" are tweaks and enhancements, the kind of thing everybody does. A draft is a change to the sequence of the story, an add or a delete, or a change of context.

Mine come from me intact too...as I am sure is the case with many writers. We are all different. When I'm rewriting, I tweak. A draft is a changed copy of the manuscript. Some people, believe it or not, just get the whole thing out at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.