PDA

View Full Version : When finishing gives you the blahs

Bubastes
06-13-2009, 01:57 AM
What do you do when accomplishments that used to make you go "woo hoo!" no longer do? How do you get that feeling of accomplishment back?

I finished and subbed a short story today, and for some reason I felt. . . nothing. I don't want to take these little victories for granted, but I think I've forgotten how to pat myself on the back!

HelloKiddo
06-13-2009, 02:07 AM
I can't be sure, never having experienced that, but to me it sounds like you may need a break from writing.

Is it possible to take a few months off to read a lot and keep your mind off writing? Maybe if you find you miss it and remember why you loved it so much you'll get the fire back.

Ken
06-13-2009, 02:24 AM
... maybe reward yourself with a treat: steak dinner or something.
Here's a pat on the back from me, in any event ///Bubastes/// :-)

Sean D. Schaffer
06-13-2009, 06:20 AM
... maybe reward yourself with a treat: steak dinner or something.
Here's a pat on the back from me, in any event ///Bubastes/// :-)

That's an excellent point. Reward yourself when you're finished. I think that makes some very good sense. :)

Brutal Mustang
06-13-2009, 06:35 AM
Maybe it is simply because don't like the short story you just wrote? And need to write something that impassions you?

Michael Davis
06-15-2009, 10:52 PM
Have to say I'm experiencing that myself. I've written five novels, have 4 contracted/released, and three shorts published, and I'm starting to get really burned out. I've talked to other author friends who have suffered from the same thing. I think it goes with the territory of isolating yourself from other things in life you enjoy while you write. Trying to go at my sixth novel with a little less fury to see if this helps. I don't know how people do 15 or 20 novels.

Bubastes
06-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Michael's explanation makes a lot of sense. I feel like I'm being yanked in too many directions where only one of them is writing (I wish I were more productive, though!). I'm even having trouble sitting down for ten minutes and simply reading. I have to figure out how to turn off my brain so I can get a little rest.

ETA: I think part of the problem is the feeling that no matter what I finish, it's never enough. There's always another story to write, another goal to reach, and I'm so focused on the next goal that I've forgotten how to savor reaching the current goal.

LuckyH
06-16-2009, 12:39 AM
Have to say I'm experiencing that myself. I've written five novels, have 4 contracted/released, and three shorts published, and I'm starting to get really burned out. I've talked to other author friends who have suffered from the same thing. I think it goes with the territory of isolating yourself from other things in life you enjoy while you write. Trying to go at my sixth novel with a little less fury to see if this helps. I don't know how people do 15 or 20 novels.

I'm pleased to have read of writing with a little less fury than before, because that's exactly where I am. I can't change my voice, but I'm trying a different genre, and although I'm finding it to be a challenge, it's a refreshing one.

I've still got one parcelled up and ready for delivery, but I've already moved on.

Dale Emery
06-16-2009, 01:51 AM
What do you do when accomplishments that used to make you go "woo hoo!" no longer do? How do you get that feeling of accomplishment back?

When you write your next story, give yourself an explicit, important goal in addition to finishing.

What do you most want to learn about writing? What story would you like to write that you're not sure you can pull off? What do you greatly admire in some other writer's work that you haven't yet accomplished in your own?

Dale