PDA

View Full Version : small handgun that would fit in a sporran (kilt pouch)

Susan B
06-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Hi,

In my mystery/suspense novel, a kilted Bad Guy reaches into his sporran (the pouch worn in front of the kilt) and pulls out a handgun.

I know absolutely nothing about guns ( a bit more about more about kilts and other such Scottish stuff) but thought I better check to see if this is possible.

Sporrans are basically small purses. Larger ones can be 8 inches long and almost as wide. I saw photos on the web that demonstrate how much you can carry in one of the large ones. In one case, the loot included a 1 lb bag of Peets Coffee, a cell phone, and keys.

So I think there must be enough space to put a small handgun tn there.

Any ideas? Doesn't have to be technical, I'd just like to know what to call it and know that it's plausible. "A small handgun" is how I now refer to it.

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks.

zenwriter
06-12-2009, 11:50 PM
These two sources might help:

http://perspectives.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=134273&forum_id=54
http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

Barb D
06-13-2009, 01:12 AM
DH says many handguns would fit in a bag that size.

He says what kind would depend on when the story takes place.

smcc360
06-13-2009, 01:42 AM
If you want to keep it general, 'a small handgun' fits the bill perfectly.

If you want to be more specific, you could call it 'a small .380 semiautomatic', or 'a small .38 caliber revolver'.

Even more specifically, you could make it a Lorcin .380, the brand name of the modern 'Saturday Night Special' and the choice of low-level gangstas everywhere. A more elegant villain might pull out a Bond Arms .45 derringer, which is actually a helluva nice little double-barreled pistol with a lot of punch.

I guess he'd have to go armed, if he's going to insist on menacing the heroes while wearing a skirt. ;)

Susan B
06-13-2009, 04:01 AM
Thanks, you all! Very helpful. I've learned way more than I ever knew/wanted to know about how small handguns can be! Obviously no problem fitting a gun into a small bag/pouch or sporran. (Just cleaned out my history, so no one wonders :-)

quixote100104
06-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Perhaps this might offer you some guidance on the sort of options for compact, concealed carry in that particular area of the body:

http://www.thunderwear.com/holsters.asp

Good Luck :-)!

Rabe
06-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Perhaps this might offer you some guidance on the sort of options for compact, concealed carry in that particular area of the body:

http://www.thunderwear.com/holsters.asp

Good Luck :-)!

Yeah, and I'm STILL against wearing a gun in that particular area. They mention how 'sensitive' body parts are behind the gun while sitting...but not while standing and also does nothing to protect against such things as an AD hitting the leg, thigh and all assosciated dangerous areas.

Not to mention the idiocy of people wanting to wear a gun there for so many reasons.

Rabe..

Smiling Ted
06-14-2009, 03:07 AM
That's about as silly as a man wearing a loaded gun stuck in his waistband.

That said - James Bond's own Walther PPK could fit in a sporran (it's a .380 ACP). There are also lots of smaller, cheap and nasty .25 and .22 semiauto pistols that would fit (Raven, Jimenez, Bryco.)

Richard White
06-14-2009, 08:18 AM
That's about as silly as a man wearing a loaded gun stuck in his waistband.

That said - James Bond's own Walther PPK could fit in a sporran (it's a .380 ACP). There are also lots of smaller, cheap and nasty .25 and .22 semiauto pistols that would fit (Raven, Jimenez, Bryco.)

Hmm, I thought Bond's PPK was a .32 cal. Been a long time since I read those books though. I do remember Q making him move up to a new weapon and Bond being most unhappy about it in Dr. No.

Memory isn't quite what it used to be.

(sorry for the thread Hi-jack)

Smiling Ted
06-14-2009, 10:45 AM
My mistake. Bond's PPK was the .32.

The PPK comes in at least five calibers, including .380, .32 and .25.

hammerklavier
06-14-2009, 07:25 PM
If you want something with a bit more bang!, go with the Springfield XD subcompact, in 9mm or .40 s&w. Nine rounds in the magazine, 6.25" long, 4.75" high, and 26 oz in weight (not including bullets). The optional laser sight adds about a half inch.

Todd Bayliss
06-16-2009, 01:07 AM
I carry a Keltec PF9 in the front pocket of my jeans. Its about the size of your hand and holds 8 rounds of 9mm, weighs 15 ounces loaded.

Even when its in my backpack though its still in a holster to protect the trigger. I use a Desantis Super Fly:http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=328915&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=free&utm_campaign=10613

It keeps the trigger covered so other junk in the pocket/bag/sporran can't pull it and keeps the gun oriented consistently so you don't have to fish around to get a grip on it in an emergency.

hammerklavier
06-17-2009, 07:51 AM
If the bad guy is not real comfortable with real guns, he would probably have a derringer. Or a modern equivelent: the .32 NAA Guardian. A souped up .32 round in a palm sized pistol Six shot magazine.