PDA

View Full Version : This just in...

KTC
06-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Kindnesses are really cheap. Almost free.

Hand some out today to family, friends and strangers. You never know when they'll be needed...and how much you can change a life just by handing them out.

Go forth. Spread your kindnesses.

regdog
06-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Who are you and what have you done with KTC?

KTC
06-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Who are you and what have you done with KTC?

I am a loving caring being (with a sometimes slightly sharp tongue).

Manix
06-12-2009, 05:11 PM
To help this thread along, I found 29 tips for Random Acts of Kindness:

Put them into practice and also create your own:-

Send someone a hand written note of thanks.
Make a card at home and send it to a friend for no reason.
Buy a lottery ticket for a stranger.
Put some coins in someone else’s parking meter.
Buy a coffee for the man on the high street selling The Big Issue magazine.
Cut your neighbour’s hedge.
Walk your friend’s dog.
Give a compliment about your waiter / waitress to his / her manager.
Send someone a small gift anonymously.
Stop and help someone replace their flat tyre.
Let someone jump the queue at the bank.
Pay for the drinks on the next table at a café.
Treat a friend to the movies for no reason.
Give a huge tip to someone when they least expect it.
Hold the train door open for someone rushing to get in.
Give up your seat for someone, not just an elderly person.
Write notes of appreciation at least once a week.
Talk to a homeless person and have a “normal” conversation.
Pick up some rubbish in the road which would otherwise be lying around.
Compliment a work colleague for their excellence.
Recommend a competitor to a potential client.
Give another driver your parking spot.
Give a piece of fruit to a delivery person.
Help an elderly neighbour carry the rubbish out.
Tell all your family members how much your appreciate them.
Leave a copy of an interesting book on a train / bus.
Buy an inspirational book for a friend.
Send a thank you note to a person who has helped you in the past.
Smile a lot.
Send Susie chocolate. What goes around is sure to come around - happy helping :-)

Maryn
06-12-2009, 05:12 PM
I do that every day. I make it my business to treat everybody I interact with as a person of worth, not defined by their job or their function in my life. Gets me all kinds of small extras and kindnesses right back.

Of course, some people turn out to be douchebags, but I start out assuming they're not.

Maryn, so kind it hurts your teeth

Perks
06-12-2009, 05:12 PM
KTC's like a cheese danish - all flaky and sometimes crisp, but gooey in the center.

And today, I agree with him. :)

KTC
06-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Thank you, Manix. Very much.

I always try to make eye contact and smile when I'm out and about. Sometimes a simple smile can turn the tides.

Manix
06-12-2009, 05:14 PM
KTC's like a cheese danish - all flaky and sometimes crisp, but gooey in the center.

And today, I agree with him. :)

I have to agree with you there. Kinda like Boston Creme donuts, too(my favorite)--dark on the outside, but light and sweet on the inside.;)

Button
06-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Smile a lot.

:);):tongue:D:Sun::e2cat::e2crown::e2cloud9: :e2fish: :e2sven::e2cookie:

My face hurts.

Manix
06-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Thank you, Manix. Very much.

I always try to make eye contact and smile when I'm out and about. Sometimes a simple smile can turn the tides.

A great maxim to live by. Always.

Stew21
06-12-2009, 06:12 PM
One of my friends gave me a great children's book for my kids and I to read. It's about how everyone has an invisible bucket that used to hold good thoughts and happy feelings. Everyone has a bucket, and when people do or say something nice it fills their bucket and it also fills yours. You can't fill your bucket by dipping into someone else's, (like a bully would do). It goes on to tell them ways they can fill a bucket.

Now that we've read the book, at the end of each day we ask each other if we filled a bucket today. And if my son's do something nice or say something nice to me, they ask me if my bucket is full. Not only is it a great book, it's a great way to talk about the good things we can do for other people.

so go fill a bucket, KTC! :)

Bmwhtly
06-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Kindnesses are really cheap. Almost free.

Hand some out today to family, friends and strangers. You never know when they'll be needed...and how much you can change a life just by handing them out.

Go forth. Spread your kindnesses.Dear God!
Kevin's dead and a Hippy's wearing his skin!

I always try to make eye contact and smile when I'm out and about. I do do that (sometimes)

quickWit
06-12-2009, 06:22 PM
*makes eye contact with Kevin, Kevin smiles*

Oh my God...Kevin's coming on to me. :)

***DISCLAIMER***

The smiley face at the terminus of the above statement indicates the use of humor and sarcasm in said statement and is in no way indicative of happiness or satisfaction on the part of the poster at the prospect of Kevin coming on to him.

:)

robeiae
06-12-2009, 06:24 PM
*makes eye contact with Kevin, Kevin smiles*
This is why you keep having to register with the authorities...

quickWit
06-12-2009, 06:27 PM
This is why you keep having to register with the authorities...

I don't think that applies in Canadada.

Button
06-12-2009, 06:30 PM
I don't think that applies in Canadada.

Yeah, Canadians don't need authorities. They just throw a maple syrup covered moose at you.

KTC
06-12-2009, 06:52 PM
humor rocks...just don't forget the message. (-;

tjwriter
06-12-2009, 06:56 PM
I thoroughly enjoy helping people and I try to offer everyone a smile.

As for the not-so-nice folks, I found the words, "Kill them with kindness," to be very effective.

Greenify13
06-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Okay, I'm serious about this. What can I do in this regard from home? Honest. I don't leave, rarely leave and since the greater percentage of my day/life is spent here I feel as though my hands are somewhat tied. No one calls, so I'm not ignoring people. I do call people just to check on how they are doing, but that tends to be disheartening or more then I want to here.
Telemarketers! I can chat them up, I do sometimes, some of them are rather great people...others are truly pricks. Oh and maybe my hang-up stalker will finally say something! :Sun: It's looking up already!

Button
06-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Okay, I'm serious about this. What can I do in this regard from home? Honest. I don't leave, rarely leave and since the greater percentage of my day/life is spent here I feel as though my hands are somewhat tied. No one calls, so I'm not ignoring people. I do call people just to check on how they are doing, but that tends to be disheartening or more then I want to here.
Telemarketers! I can chat them up, I do sometimes, some of them are rather great people...others are truly pricks. Oh and maybe my hang-up stalker will finally say something! :Sun: It's looking up already!

Need examples?

I spend at least an hour every day in a forum for people who want to work from home, and dedicate my time in teaching, offering leads and answering questions. I don't use my real name, I don't post a link. I devote my time giving back.

I also have a few penpals from overseas. We write emails and occasionally send packages to one another. I've gotten lovely things from Japan, China, Russia and other places. Small things, but still, it's lovely.

I also spend time helping women who run their own businesses by being part of a group that exchanges business cards and other items and gives them away to people, or deposits them in appropriate places.

There is always an opportunity to spread kindness, help someone else, and even have fun doing so. What peaks your interest?

NeuroFizz
06-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Y'all, the kool-aid is yonder in the 55-gallon drum. May I help you get a cup? [just in case this thread has cult-generating powers]

KTC
06-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Greenify---Spontaneous and kind rep comments here. A few words will go a long way. Sometimes you can tell by reading a person's post that a kind rep comment will really perk up their day.

Greenify13
06-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Thank you Button and KTC, I guess I should have thought about it more thoroughly before I replied. I guess I do kind things after all! I have a sponsor child, I help all my "online" friends and people who come to me needing help online. I write people poems. :ROFL: I guess that counts... Besides that this is going to be a personal challenge and growth excercise I'm sure and it can help to be a nicer person.
:Sun: Thanks

Susie
06-12-2009, 07:42 PM
I knew Kevin was a kind, loving, caring person all along. Calls for :Cake:! :) Manix, please add to your superb list, Send susie chocolate. :D

Sean D. Schaffer
06-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Talk to a homeless person and have a “normal” conversation.

I like this one a lot. Treating a homeless person with dignity and respect is something I don't see all that often. Excellent advice.

:)