PDA

View Full Version : Universally Awesome Agents / Agencies

wakeupwriting
06-12-2009, 10:24 AM
So I realize that it's impossible to make a list of the absolute top best literary agents / agencies, because for every writer and every genre that list is going to be different. However, I have noticed on more than a few threads pertaining to certain agencies people will often comment, "any writer would be lucky to be represented by _______" or "_______ agency is any writer's dream agency." In other words, some agencies just seem to be sure bets. Agencies that you don't have to worry you'll regret signing with, because they are just universally awesome.

What do you consider some of these agents / agencies?

Laura Lond
06-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Well, off the top of my head, I'd say ICM and William Morris. BIG players. You can't go wrong with these. :)

Khazarkhum
06-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Writer's House
Maass

waylander
06-12-2009, 02:32 PM
For SF/ F - Spectrum, JABerwocky

Parametric
06-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Knight Agency, Nelson Literary ... Folio I'd love, Scovil Galen Ghosh of course, FinePrint, Fox, Curtis Brown ... aaaand off into a happy daydream.

Catadmin
06-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Preditors & Editors has a ranking for agencies. They actually will use "Recommended" and "Highly Recommended" on those agencies they think are the best for authors. Usually these rankings come as a result of 1) No Fees, 2) Good Sales, 3) Communication / Shepharding Author Careers and other information they get from writers in general.

If you're looking for a previously compiled list for yourself (as opposed to this being an opinion poll), you should check them out.

http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pubagent.htm

To get to the agents & agencies, click on the alphabet letter bar. The A's actually take up too pages. The rest are on their own individual pages.

Twizzle
06-12-2009, 04:08 PM
In other words, some agencies just seem to be sure bets. Agencies that you don't have to worry you'll regret signing with, because they are just universally awesome.

They don't exist. There are no sure bets. Name any agency/agent you want, and someone has fired them. The only right agency for any writer is the agency that is right for them.

ChaosTitan
06-12-2009, 05:46 PM
They don't exist. There are no sure bets. Name any agency/agent you want, and someone has fired them. The only right agency for any writer is the agency that is right for them.

Gonna have to agree with Twizzle here. I've known writers repped by someone in one of the Awesome Agencies who've subsequently fired their agents for a variety of reasons. A big name doesn't guarantee a good working relationship, and it doesn't guarantee success.

Your dream agent is the one you're still working with ten years down the road, with a steady stream of contracts keeping you busy.

Irysangel
06-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Agreed. I was repped by a 'huge' dream agency and they did a lot less for my career than my current agent has done (who works at a very small but excellent agency).

The agency is only as good as the agent at the agency.

YAwriter72
06-12-2009, 06:31 PM
If you both have the same vision and goal, and they meet your expectations.

ORION
06-12-2009, 08:59 PM
I love Dorian Karchmar of William Morris Agency...

Catadmin
06-13-2009, 05:33 PM
I love Dorian Karchmar of William Morris Agency...

I went to check them out. It bothers me that their website requires language controls to be installed every time you click on something. The techie in my cringes at the thought of downloading software whose origins I don't know.

ORION
06-14-2009, 02:58 AM
What??? Hmmm...Well... I can vouch for them that they don't have nefarious world dominance intentions...lol!!!