Sci-fi fan, writer wantabe checking in!

Marcus

sept 5th and I'm Out
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, I found this forum when I decided to do a little internet snooping about the company I found, wlwritersagency.com

I got all the way up to, Lets get you set up with a 70-90 dollar critique. At that point I was like, OK, its time to see if the money is going to disappear as if i had used a toilet to critique my work.... I'm glad i decided to do some checking.

About me, I'm 28, three months away from getting out of the Air Force, moving to the Los Angeles area when I have my DD214 in hand. I'm married to a beutiful, intelligent, and all around wonderful woman that makes Great money, can cook, loves me for all my strange qualities and not so great quirks, and in general is the best damn woman alive. :D We married 4 years ago this Dec. and she had had three kids before we met, looking forward to having some of my own, kids are wonderful. Getting to teach them logic and the ability to reason and debate subjects that otherwise no one thinks about at their age is one of the joys of my life. :) I look forward to getting out of the military and decontaminating my brain from the garbage that i had to pollute it with to survive for the last 6 years... Having said that, I'm not a hater of military, I'm a hater of My Own Military service. I spent 6 years in and Never deployed, Never went TDY, Never did anything other than work on heavies... call it a hero complex, I just wanted to be a more active participant in world events, and never got that chance... Now I'm in a position to get out and take care of my family and get back to who I used to be, a thinker and a dreamer, and add storyteller to that.

I've been writing in my (not so copious) spare time since late 2007. I've got a project that is very dear to my heart worked up to the 55k word stage, and I look forward to finishing it Very Soon once I'm out and loose the headache of having to report to duty that requires me to eliminate all creative thinking. I'm planning on taking it to the 200-250k word level which is what my understanding of what a full novel length piece of work is supposed to be. Having said all this, I've had No formal education for writing other than my high school classes that I didn't really appreciate at the time. There are so many things I need to start self educating myself on as far as mechanics and structure and procedures to get the job done. All in due time, I've had lengthy conversations with the wife on that subject, and as I'm going to be living in LA very shortly, I'm going to do my best to take the opportunities available to me to network with people in the area that are there to be networked with. I have a fully intact GI bill, and when I can convince myself to actually make that step, I'm going to pursue a degree that will benefit me for this career path. Getting to hear my family, (and more importantly) random people whom have nothing to gain by praising my work say what I've got done is in the least entertaining, and at best remarkable considering the lack of formal education has been a great boon to my personal sense of worth.

About the subject of wlwritersagency and my work that I casually submitted to them, is that company known to steal work, I read the numerous threads and thousands of comments quickly and I didn't see any reports of stolen work, just incredibly shady practices for getting money in a piecemeal basis. Is my work that I sent them lost, or can/should I continue with the story as it stands now? Thanks in advance for any comments relating to this!

Wow, what a windy opening post! I look forward to examining this site for all its many jewels of information that I really need to know.
Hope everyone is well.
J

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to Absolute Write.

Glad you didn't fork out the money for those critiques. Plenty of talented authors here will critique your work for free. Just make sure you show your appreciation by purchasing their books! ;)

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: Marcus!

I hope you enjoy your time here. And to help you enjoy it even more, I would suggest visiting us at Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie 'Traditional Irish Pub' thread . We have cookies, breakfast, drinks, karaoke, and good natured fun!

I understand what you were saying in your post about your military views and how you feel about your time in service, trust me I understand. There are plenty here that will beta-read or critique your writings for free...so there are many here that are very happy you didn't go through with it. There is also a section on Background checks and such so that everyone knows as much as possible about who they are dealing with and how they deal...:)
I'm sure you'll find this place freakin' useful, it usually is. Just enjoy your time, enjoy your writing and frame your DD214! ;)
~Christine

patrick.colliton

Registered
Reaction score
Tacoma, Washington, USA, N. America, Earth, Sol Sy
... I'm not a hater of military, I'm a hater of My Own Military service. I spent 6 years in and Never deployed, Never went TDY, Never did anything other than work on heavies...

Don't sweat never being deployed. I enlisted in the Army with the full expectation of going to either Iraq or Afghanistan but I didn't ever end up being sent to either one. Instead, I did operations in another theater. It was not as widely publicized but no less important. Besides, I knew lots of enlisted Air Force guys who never went down range so it's really not that crazy to think that it didn't happen to you.

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
Don't sweat never being deployed. I enlisted in the Army with the full expectation of going to either Iraq or Afghanistan but I didn't ever end up being sent to either one. Instead, I did operations in another theater. It was not as widely publicized but no less important. Besides, I knew lots of enlisted Air Force guys who never went down range so it's really not that crazy to think that it didn't happen to you.
Sometimes it's hard not to sweat it, I enlisted with plans to go over. Never had the chance but once, and that blew up badly. I had horrible "luck" with the Army and my chances slimmed every month. When I got close enough and had piles of fresh gear with the plastic scent engraved, sh*t happened again. I ended up not going more times then I can believe and damn near begged to go the last time. But I find that as time has passed, the circumstances were mostly unavoidable and my regrets I'm going to have to live with. I ramble. I'm done, this is a newbie thread...:ROFL: my bad Marcus!

Marcus

sept 5th and I'm Out
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I must say that having posted on a Bunch of other forums, all car related, I find this forum EXTREMELY refreshing!
I've not seen ONE post with jacked up type for the ease of using less letters. One of my pet peeves with reading forums.
I also feel great to have such a pure source of information. Even if i have to study through what I'm not looking for to find what I Am looking for.
After finding some of the threads with mechanical advice, I now see how absurdly weak my work is. And People Still Like it! I'm a little torn to know the kinds of mistakes I'm making, but after briefly editing my introduction, I Had to admit it was exponentially stronger and to the point than where it was before!
I really need to get a High School level English book and actually study it I think, if for no other reason than to refresh myself on pure mechanics.
:) finding this forum has put me into a very positive mindset.

Greenify and patrik, your words in reply to my post made me smile. Thanks for the kindness and understanding.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
I must say that having posted on a Bunch of other forums, all car related, I find this forum EXTREMELY refreshing!
I've not seen ONE post with jacked up type for the ease of using less letters. One of my pet peeves with reading forums.
I also feel great to have such a pure source of information. Even if i have to study through what I'm not looking for to find what I Am looking for.
After finding some of the threads with mechanical advice, I now see how absurdly weak my work is. And People Still Like it! I'm a little torn to know the kinds of mistakes I'm making, but after briefly editing my introduction, I Had to admit it was exponentially stronger and to the point than where it was before!
I really need to get a High School level English book and actually study it I think, if for no other reason than to refresh myself on pure mechanics.
:) finding this forum has put me into a very positive mindset.

Greenify and patrik, your words in reply to my post made me smile. Thanks for the kindness and understanding.
I'm glad that you enjoy the forum already. Do not let what you don't know to stop you or hold you back. If most of us did, well there wouldn't be so many writers. And hey, you know how to spell, that counts for something. :D
Sometimes the stories matter more then you know, and when there are mistakes, that's why there are betas and editors. Not that they want to correct all small mistakes, I would think they would hope for minimal damage control. ;) However, practice makes perfect, and perfect practice makes better outcomes. The fact that you edited your introduction, however briefly is a strong indication that you are serious in the matter and what to improve on your writing and abilities. I'm sure that with time you'll find yourself not even noticing the improvement you'd made, it's not a bad thing. I started here in January and have now written more and better then I could ever have dreamed of or thought possible.
Good luck and enjoy, don't stop until you get there (whatever your there is) and when you finally do, keep going.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Nice to meet you, marcus, even more so seeing a guy who cares so mcuh for his missess. You've already got a tick in my book.;) And a sci-fi lover too, eh...?

Hope you like it here, sweetheart. :)

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Marcus. I had a very good buddy named Marcus once. Lost touch with him, but he was an all around good guy. Glad you're here! Also, I would suggest (just my opinion from the research I've done) that over 200,000 words is actually quite HUGE for a first novel. My fantasy novel weighs in at 95,000--which, I've been told, is just about right. You might get some second opinions about word count, but it seems to me that you're already half way there! Go for it.

Topaz044

Resident Zombie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.warofthesoulites.com
Hi Marcus, glad to see another sci-fi writer! (and Marcus is the name of one my favorite characters in my book too!) :welcome:

Marcus

sept 5th and I'm Out
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Marcus. I had a very good buddy named Marcus once. Lost touch with him, but he was an all around good guy. Glad you're here! Also, I would suggest (just my opinion from the research I've done) that over 200,000 words is actually quite HUGE for a first novel. My fantasy novel weighs in at 95,000--which, I've been told, is just about right. You might get some second opinions about word count, but it seems to me that you're already half way there! Go for it.

I came across an interview David Weber did with a magazine where he made a statement about word count and how quickly he can drop the bulk of a 200-250k word book.... Going off this alone, knowing what’s happening with my work in 55k, and knowing what Needs to happen, I’m more comfortable with the idea I’m only a quarter of the way done than half the way done. If I’m halfway done then I’m going to have to edit a Whole hell of a lot of adjectives and my work will seem robotical IMHO. It’s all good though really, I'm not so much worried about the word count in relation to being close to a finish line. If the story isn't finished for 500k words, I’ll submit that and let the editor break it into a trilogy lol. I want to tell a great story that puts a spin on the history of Earth's greatest inventor. (while telling the story of a character 30 years in our future LOL mull that one over for a little bit!) I want that story to be interesting for the reader and the ideas introduced will make people turn their heads to the left or right and squint when they make it to parts where I drop bombs. With the positive words I've gotten from people that have read my work, (keeping in mind so far None of those people have had English or editing backgrounds, they read my work for the enjoyment of it and figure the grammar and semantics will work their way out later, the Story is good i'm told, Its time for me to get the nuts and bolts out and polish them at this point so i can finish this thing up in full stride when i hit the ground in LA.) once I've studied up on pitfalls and mistakes, avoid them, I'm confident this story will sell.

To address your point specifically, Hey I'll give due its due, I actually have no idea what a "proper" word count should look like. Though if your right about the word count, that kind of worries me honestly, because there is a LOT that needs to get worked out in this book, and I was already comfortable with the 2/250 quote LOL. Isn't that funny, you drop a welcome, use a piece of information that should be good news, and I'm all like, that sucks! :roll:
There's irony for you!

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?

Marcus

sept 5th and I'm Out
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Marcus, glad to see another sci-fi writer! (and Marcus is the name of one my favorite characters in my book too!) :welcome:

I wanted to use my "normal" online identity, which is "Anderskorn" but I figured I wouldn't be tossing hate and beating people up for dumb comments regarding engine science and car facts.... so i went with my middle name. I was pleased to see it wasn't already taken seeing as how old this forum is.

Now you folks know two of the three names on my B-certificate. Though the A-name is modified, shouldn't be to hard to figure out.. don't bother googleing, I'm one of those folks with nothing on the internet attached to my full name.

If your curious, my avatar is me and the wife on x-mas 05, and yes, thats me holding the camera lol ;)

Marcus

sept 5th and I'm Out
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to meet you, marcus, even more so seeing a guy who cares so mcuh for his missess. You've already got a tick in my book.;) And a sci-fi lover too, eh...?

Hope you like it here, sweetheart. :)

Only person I've ever met that didn't think I was from another planet. The woman is quite frankly the best thing that has ever happened to me. Bren is 5.0 nothing weighs 100lbs soaking wet and her physical presence intimidates most men that have the ability to admit it. She's one of the rare people that its just hard to pull one over on. She notices details about people. She understands psychology, and that is the root of what makes men feel like they are two feet tall looking up at a giant. I think she stuck with me because I'm one of the rare people on earth that have honesty stapled across their forehead. I hide nothing, and I'm genuine about my emotions, honest to a fault, and that is why most people don't like me, because of those things you normally don't say to people, yeah, I won't hold em back if I have half a reason to point them out.
Have i mentioned she makes a TON of money?? :D

wow, i could go on and on here about her... lol I'm done with this now! :D

Marcus

sept 5th and I'm Out
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yes i'm post whoring on my own thread for the sake of my own thread count now! ::)

who needs a multi-quote, i want my intro thread to hit two pages rotf!

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning on taking it to the 200-250k word level which is what my understanding of what a full novel length piece of work is supposed to be.

Also, I would suggest (just my opinion from the research I've done) that over 200,000 words is actually quite HUGE for a first novel.

Pah! My one's bigger than yours.

Welcome to the Cooler.