PDA

View Full Version : My son was not on his flight (update: home safe!)

Cassiopeia
06-12-2009, 02:53 AM
I'm trying hard not to freak out. But according to Delta, he missed his connection. It took a long time for his dad to get even that much out of them.

I'm a bit peeved because as parents we should have the right to the information and quickly if your child has boarded the plane.

I wouldn't be so flipped out but my son didn't call me to tell me he missed his flight. Now I'm telling myself, it could be he didn't have time and had to dash but when I asked my son's father if they were sure he was on the later flight he, hmmm and hawed around a bit.

Kim, totally not sure what to think.

aadams73
06-12-2009, 02:58 AM
Damn. That's a bit inconsiderate on your son and his father's part. I hope he gets there safe and sound.

Cassiopeia
06-12-2009, 03:03 AM
I don't think it's intentional on my son's part. I don't know what's happened. The airlines are hard to get much info from these days. I feel numb, I'm so worried.

backslashbaby
06-12-2009, 03:06 AM
How old is he? Which airport?

The airlines can be pretty clueless as to communication, but the people actually in the airports and on planes are overwhelmingly kind to lost kids :) I'm sure he's fine, but that communication thing is a drag. I'm sorry :Hug2:

Cassiopeia
06-12-2009, 03:11 AM
How old is he? Which airport?

The airlines can be pretty clueless as to communication, but the people actually in the airports and on planes are overwhelmingly kind to lost kids :) I'm sure he's fine, but that communication thing is a drag. I'm sorry :Hug2:21, that's just it...I don't know which airport. I know nothing..his dad kept very quiet. I don't know.

backslashbaby
06-12-2009, 03:14 AM
Ah! Well, chances are he could be waiting in lines to figure out what to do, then. Or hiking to a far-away gate. Still no real worries; you really could live in most airports :) I hope you hear from him soon.

Cassiopeia
06-12-2009, 03:39 AM
yes, there are real worries. LDS missionaries don't go missing in US airports, at least not very often.

Silver King
06-12-2009, 03:54 AM
Man, now I'm worried, so I can imagine how you feel. Like others have said, he's most likely fine and on his way to you now.

Please keep us updated.

backslashbaby
06-12-2009, 03:54 AM
I haven't followed any other posts about this; sorry, I don't know the situation. I'll just offer hugs and well-wishes :)

Brutal Mustang
06-12-2009, 04:15 AM
At 21 he should be fine. He's not a kid anymore. But I wonder if he and his dad are up to something? Seems a little odd.

KTC
06-12-2009, 04:23 AM
Wait, Cass. Wait and see. I know that's easier said than done...but whatever has happened will work itself out. Missed a connecting flight? There's a chaotic nightmare for him...but nothing he can't overcome and get past. Just wait and see. You're not at the airport?

Millicent M'Lady
06-12-2009, 04:28 AM
Hopefully it's nothing serious and it's likely that he missed his flight and is just trying to get another one organised before he phones you but I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.x

KTC
06-12-2009, 04:35 AM
What time is it there, Cass. I can never keep time zones straight. It's just past 8:30 here. It's just past 6:30 there now. Okay. I'm waiting. You must be at the airport.

Libbie
06-12-2009, 06:12 AM
Please keep us updated, Cass! I'm thinking happy thoughts for you and your family.

Manix
06-12-2009, 06:22 AM
Mix ups happen at airports all the time and security is so tight nowadays that they don't tell anybody anything. If he's a typical 21 year old, he probably has no idea how worried you are about him. Try not to worry yourself sick. I know how awful that is as a parent, when you don't know where your kids are. Let us know whenever you get word, okay?:Hug2:

KTC
06-12-2009, 06:23 AM
I'm sure Cass is with her son...and that is why she doesn't have the time to come on and tell us that all is well and as it should be.

LorelieBrown
06-12-2009, 06:27 AM
I once missed a flight to my dad's home 'cause I'd fallen asleep in the waiting area. Couldn't call, either, 'cause I was still snoring away. :) I'm sure he's fine.

wannawrite
06-12-2009, 07:05 AM
Yes, please, let us know he is okay. But, chances are, he is fine. Once, when my daughter was younger 14-15, she was flying back from DC and the plane had to transfer planes in Minnesota. The plane she was on stopped in Michigan to refuel. She got off in Michigan, instead of Minnesota. I was on the other end, waiting, and like you, I panicked. But everything turned out okay, and I'm sure your boy will be fine. Just the same, I'll send you a little prayer, tonight.

Talk to us when you get a chance and let us know he is okay.

kdnxdr
06-12-2009, 07:35 AM
I agree, panicking does not help and I'm sure everything will turn out fine.

However, I'm one of those people that believes communication is the key to dealing with any kind of situation. I, myself, believe that it's helpful to communicate with a responsible party what your concern is and ask for their assistance. Usually, if they are not the ones to handle this type of incident, they will direct you to whom can or will or actually make the contact for you. The reason I tend to make quick contact with those in authority is that it sets a track, educates me and helps them to connect the dots should the need arise.

I've been in some similar situations and it's been quite helpful to smooth out the bumps. Shifts change, other priorities come up and keeping something fresh with the most relevant people helps to keep things moving forward.

I know it will out turn out good.

kid

benbradley
06-12-2009, 08:16 AM
I'm trying hard not to freak out. But according to Delta, he missed his connection. It took a long time for his dad to get even that much out of them.

I'm a bit peeved because as parents we should have the right to the information and quickly if your child has boarded the plane.

I wouldn't be so flipped out but my son didn't call me to tell me he missed his flight. Now I'm telling myself, it could be he didn't have time and had to dash but when I asked my son's father if they were sure he was on the later flight he, hmmm and hawed around a bit.

Kim, totally not sure what to think.
This appears to have happened about 20 minutes before you posted, so likely there's no connection to your son missing his connection earlier, but I heard this on the news earlier this evening:
ASA plane makes emergency landing in Atlanta
(no one was hurt)
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i8_ioOULaO86HkebF4dQvm72HAawD98OQVQO0

And there's this:
Flights delayed after emergency landing at Hartsfield-Jackson
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2009/06/11/emergency_landing.html

And of course Atlanta is Delta's hub, so this could delay Delta flights elsewhere as well. If he had missed a flight earlier, this could slow him down even more getting to his destination. Not that this excuses him missing his flight or not checking in, but but it gives a perfectly "legitimate" excuse for further delay.

Ah! Well, chances are he could be waiting in lines to figure out what to do, then. Or hiking to a far-away gate. Still no real worries; you really could live in most airports :)
Wasn't there a movie about that?

I hope you hear from him soon.

TDGatt
06-12-2009, 09:53 AM
OK, I am subcribing to this thread just to make sure everything turns out OK.

You can't post this type of stuff. I don't even know the kid and I'm worried. LOL

Hey Ben, you ain't helping any! LOL

I sure he will be fine, but please let us know...

Cassiopeia
06-12-2009, 10:37 AM
First,...he's home safe.

Next, thank you for all of your concerns and the wonderful messages.

Here's a summary...and I have to be brief because he keeps coming into my office to say, Mom...I need to talk.

For those who are not familiar with the Mormon Church, our boys go out on two year missions at the typical age of 19. They are kept in pairs. The girls go out at 21 for 18 months and also have companions.

My son never made his flight. We didn't know why. He's been in a very difficult area of the deep south and had many threats. But, what happened today, was that his flight was canceled without notice because of mechanical failure. The weather was extremely bad on the east coast today. So they sent him via another city to come home.

We didn't know exactly where he was or if he would be on that flight. We didn't even know the plane never left. We knew nothing. When he finally did land, he'd gone through Chicago and his flight was late again coming in.

My ex husband shut down and was not communicative because he, like me was scared. On the rare occasion our missionaries are hurt in public places due to those who are so much against the religion. There was no plotting on anybody's part just really bad weather, plane conditions and really bad communications.

The mission home didn't call me, they only called his dad's house when no one was there and left a message. Which was not found until we'd been waiting at the airport for an hour and returned to our suburb. This could have all been avoided had they reached us by cell phone. But the young man who left the message was a missionary himself and we all know how sometimes a 19 year old doesn't really think about the parents.

But he's home, safe and sound.

I can't thank you enough and KTC was right. I would have logged on to tell you if I could have but my youngest is now in possession of my blackberry so I couldn't. That and I was so busy taking my boy around to his dad and church meetings and the reunion with family members. I just now at half past midnight could sit down and tell you.

I'm so grateful for all of your friendship and support. You guys are the family I always wished for.

Thank you so very much.

dpaterso
06-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Glad all's well. Hope you don't mind the thread rename.

-Derek

Writer2011
06-12-2009, 10:46 AM
I just found this thread...I am SO glad he's safe. It's rather sad when an airline won't give you any information, especially if it's your son!! However I used to work for the airlines and if someone (say a family member) wanted to know if a certain family member was on a flight, if they gave us the name we could look it up. But some airlines don't even do that. I can understand to a certain point. But in this case...well that's inexcusable.

We flew Delta last month. My wife's mother was on a flight from Asheville to Atlanta...well we didn't know which flight she was on, b/c she never told us. So I asked if she was on the next flight, even gave them her name...they couldn't help us. Now suppose we HAD to find her? Then what?

But I'm glad he's home safe and that everything turned out okay!!!

Cassiopeia
06-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Glad all's well. Hope you don't mind the thread rename.

-Derek
Not at all Derek, thank you.

Dichroic
06-12-2009, 12:59 PM
I just found this thread...I am SO glad he's safe. It's rather sad when an airline won't give you any information, especially if it's your son!! However I used to work for the airlines and if someone (say a family member) wanted to know if a certain family member was on a flight, if they gave us the name we could look it up. But some airlines don't even do that. I can understand to a certain point. But in this case...well that's inexcusable.

I'm very glad he's OK too, but in this case I sort of understand the airlines. I'd feel differently if he were a minor, but he's 21. They have no way of knowing if the person calling really is his mom or a crazy ex, or for that matter a crazy mom. They also can't tell the difference between a 21-year-old who's a man and one who's still mostly a child. I can understand why they're sensitive about such data.

Wayne K
06-12-2009, 01:33 PM
I can't think of one reason why someone would want to hurt Mormon people Cass, they've been very nice to me. I thought the boys were very gentlemanly, and the girls--well, if I had a daughter, I'd want her to be as proper.

They have a place in Chester PA. and they minister in Marcus Hook. Everytime they made a run through, they'd stop by for iced tea. They were weird--they didn't want to drink or smoke, and they had plans for the future--It breaks my heart that someone would want to hurt them, and it also does because you had to sit around thinking that.

I'm glad he's okay.

Calla Lily
06-12-2009, 03:44 PM
So glad he's okay. :Hug2: for all of you.

Komnena
06-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Great!!!!

Manix
06-12-2009, 04:41 PM
So good to hear. What are we, but robots without our concern for those we love? Glad to hear everyone's okay.

James81
06-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Glad to hear he's ok. :)

kdnxdr
06-12-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm so happy for you.

I had one of my children "disapper" briefly when she was about five. And my son when he was three. It is one of the most gut wrentching feelings in the world when you can't find one of your children.

Glad to hear all is well.

kid

Cassiopeia
06-12-2009, 05:40 PM
I can't think of one reason why someone would want to hurt Mormon people Cass, they've been very nice to me. I thought the boys were very gentlemanly, and the girls--well, if I had a daughter, I'd want her to be as proper.

They have a place in Chester PA. and they minister in Marcus Hook. Everytime they made a run through, they'd stop by for iced tea. They were weird--they didn't want to drink or smoke, and they had plans for the future--It breaks my heart that someone would want to hurt them, and it also does because you had to sit around thinking that.

I'm glad he's okay.Not all of them behave the way they should but yes for the most part they are the best of kids. I don't understand it. Just like I don't understand the man that threatened my son while he was simply grocery shopping. I also don't understand the people who are rude to any religious group who is merely carrying out their beliefs. (that is the ones who aren't trying to get everyone to commit genocide or things like that.)

He's tired. I got him up at five am this morning because he wanted to visit the new temple just up the mountain side from us. I'm getting ready to make crepes for his breakfast when he returns.

Man, I didn't think I could be THIS tired. Yesterday was so much of a rollercoaster.

Again, thanks everyone.

spamwarrior
06-12-2009, 10:38 PM
I'm so glad to hear that he made it back home!

backslashbaby
06-12-2009, 11:28 PM
Yay! I'm so glad he's fine. And crepes sound delicious... lucky guy, your son :D

Susie
06-12-2009, 11:30 PM
So glad he's safe and sound, Cassi. ((((((HUGS)))))).

rugcat
06-12-2009, 11:56 PM
I can't think of one reason why someone would want to hurt Mormon people Cass, they've been very nice to me.Because they are proselytizing, and in the eyes of some fanatics, that means they are trying to steer people away from the true godly path into the realm of Satan. (Non LDS) Christian missionaries are also at risk in many places, but Mormons in particular also are subject to some pretty negative and lurid stereotypes.

I've spent a great deal of my life in Utah. (I'm returning in a few weeks for a couple of months.) Very occasionally, Mormon missionaries appear at my door here in SF, and it's always nice to see them, though I'm not LDS. It's like a little taste of home. I invite them in just to give them a chance to rest their bones and talk -- though of course they have absolutely no chance of converting me.

Glad to hear your son is home safe.

Cassiopeia
06-13-2009, 04:29 AM
In our conversations today, my son shared with me that there were numerous occasions when people tried to hurt him and his companion. He's glad to be home.

Susie
06-13-2009, 06:18 AM
How horrible, Cassi. Soooooo glad they're safe and sound. Who wanted to hurt them? Yikes!