Is this true?

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Is it true that submissions for novels to be published are now being accepted through email?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
nachonaco_Grippers said:
Is it true that submissions for novels to be published are now being accepted through email?

I wouldn't do that in the first instance unless an agent/editor specifically asks for it. Many don't like it and will immediately delete.
Once you have your own agent/editor however it's common practice.

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
It depends on the publisher but in some cases, sure. But as aruna said, make sure you check their guidelines to see if the one you're interested in allows it. But I transmit ALL of my manuscripts by e-mail (that's not the same as SUBMIT, mind you -- I'm already under contract. But it is the format my editor and agent prefer.)

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Follow the submission guidelines to the letter. You can't wrong, there. Any deviation from the stated process carries significant risk of p*ssing off the editor and that's seldom a good thing. ;)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Yes, more and more agents and publishers use email for submission/rejection purposes. But read their guidelines. Don't assume they accept submission electronically because they provide email as contact.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Cathy C said:
It depends on the publisher but in some cases, sure. But as aruna said, make sure you check their guidelines to see if the one you're interested in allows it. But I transmit ALL of my manuscripts by e-mail (that's not the same as SUBMIT, mind you -- I'm already under contract. But it is the format my editor and agent prefer.)

Dang, Cathy, I wish my publisher would do that. Especially since the office I work with is in Toronto. It would make life soooo much easier. Instant delivery, what could be better? (Unless you own stock in Fed Ex, then I suppose you wouldn't think it's so great. <G>)

Susan G., who would love to send her complete mss via email.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Susan Gable said:
Dang, Cathy, I wish my publisher would do that. Especially since the office I work with is in Toronto. It would make life soooo much easier. Instant delivery, what could be better? (Unless you own stock in Fed Ex, then I suppose you wouldn't think it's so great. <G>)

Susan G., who would love to send her complete mss via email.

Gotta tell 'ya -- I love, love, LOVE doing everything by e-mail. We're in the middle of nowhere in central Texas where the streets roll up at 4:00 p.m. (not kidding here, folks! Post office, banks, courthouse --- EVERYTHING closes at 4:00. It was the hardest thing to deal with after living in a major metro area.) We've also learned that overnight delivery . . . isn't. It takes one day to get out of Texas, and another day to get anywhere else! It's a PITA for sending galleys back. Sigh! I try hard not to crowd that particular deadline, because I'm terrified that one of these days I'm going to be one day late and get bumped to the next release month! :eek:

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Cathy C said:
It's a PITA for sending galleys back. Sigh! I try hard not to crowd that particular deadline, because I'm terrified that one of these days I'm going to be one day late and get bumped to the next release month! :eek:

Ahhhh, now see, I don't send back the galleys. In that case, I email my editor a list of page & line numbers and the changes that need to be made.

Again, anything to avoid that "not getting it in on time" that can lead to bad ripple effects. <G>

I'm also fortunate that I'm so close to Toronto, in a pinch, I can drive the ms to the office myself and not have to worry about overnight delivery. I've never pushed it that far, though. <G>

Susan G.

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Another question: Should I bind my work or anything like that? Also, where can I find a list of good publishers? Area doesn't really matter to me.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Do you mean bind for submission to a publisher? Well, that depends on the size. If you're talking about the first three chapters of a novel, then you want the pages loose (as in not stapled at the corner) and bound with a binder clip (see one here : http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=308957&uniqueSearchFlag=true&Ntt=binder+clips&An=text ) But the largest one will only hold about 100 pages.

For a full book manuscript, what most publishers prefer to see is a single strong rubber band around the loose pages (strong enough that it won't break and snap them in the face when it's removed from the pages.)

As for good publishers -- for what genre? Area SHOULD matter to you, whether you meant the geographic area, or the area (genre) of the publisher or even the area (type) of publisher.

Last edited:

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
I meant locaiton. I can send pretty much anywhere I wanna.

The book may be way too thick. My aunt has a binder-making machine (the thing that makes the comb and stuff), and I could use that....would that be all right or does it depend on the publisher?

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
So what exactly is the hierarchy for getting my novel published

Editor
Agent
Publisher

or

Agent
Editor
Publisher?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Let's go through that again, nacho. DON'T bind it! The agent or editor will want the pages loose, but held together with a rubber band. Rubber bands come in a variety of sizes. Some are big enough to wrap around a whole filing cabinet, so don't worry that the book will be too big for one. (And if it's too big for a rubber band, it will DEFINITELY be too big for a comb binder. You'd be hard pressed to find a comb larger than 4", and that probably won't hold a double spaced manuscript of a large book.

There should only be two in your heirarchy.

Agent
Publisher

The editor works FOR the publisher. Whether you should send it to one versus the other is the longest standing question in writer-dom. An agent might be able to get you a better deal with a publisher, should know and have worked with publishers (so has a foot in the door) and can help you understand any contract you might sign.

A publisher is often happy to work with you individually (depending on the house. Some only accept agented submissions, which might turn into an issue depending on your genre.) The editor is who you submit to AT the publisher.

Does that make sense?

Last edited:

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, just one last question:

Do I absolutely have to double space? Just curious.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Yep. You absolutely have to unless the publisher's guidelines say differently. Just plan that paper will be one of the primary expenses of your career. Toner/Ink is another.

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Yet another question...I've never done this before and I don't want to screw up...

If they want a book signing, they (the bookstore reps) come to me, right, or the other way around, or does it work both ways?