PDA

View Full Version : Is Auto-numbering Chapters a No-No?

Ctairo
06-12-2009, 01:29 AM
I noticed this http://marlyspearson.com/formatting_101.htm Guide to Formatting says DON'T DO IT! re: using Word's auto-numbering feature.

Really?

alleycat
06-12-2009, 01:55 AM
It's always seemed more trouble than it's worth to me.

However, I took a look at the link you provided; the formatting suggested is geared toward a typesetter importing a Word file and using it to produce a finished print file. I suspect (but I'm not 100% certain) that this is why the guidelines say "no auto numbering of chapters." Using auto-numbering can create a few unexpected headaches.

Someone else may have a better explanation.

Ctairo
06-12-2009, 03:40 AM
It's always seemed more trouble than it's worth to me.

However, I took a look at the link you provided; the formatting suggested is geared toward a typesetter importing a Word file and using it to produce a finished print file. I suspect (but I'm not 100% certain) that this is why the guidelines say "no auto numbering of chapters." Using auto-numbering can create a few unexpected headaches.

Someone else may have a better explanation.
Thanks, Alleycat! I'm getting a headache trying to number chapters manually. Given we have the technology, I'd like to use it. But then I'm a geek like that. :D

Linda Adams
06-12-2009, 02:35 PM
You can always autonumber it until it's final and then change it to regular text. I use autonumbering when I revise because if I didn't, adjusting each chapter number when I added or removed a chapter would drive me crazy.

Ctairo
06-12-2009, 06:52 PM
You can always autonumber it until it's final and then change it to regular text. I use autonumbering when I revise because if I didn't, adjusting each chapter number when I added or removed a chapter would drive me crazy.
That's exactly the problem I've run into. I've shifted chapters, deleted chapters, and it's been impossible to keep the numbering consistent.

Thanks for weighing in, Linda! :)

Catadmin
06-12-2009, 08:39 PM
I save all my chapters as separate files. When I insert or delete, I just have to rename the file (or add a new file with a .5, like chapter2.5.doc). Then, when I've got everything mostly edited, I merge them all together into one document and put chapter headers up.

Works extremely well for me. All of Word's autoformat features keep getting me into trouble. I always spend more time going back and fixing the auto-formated stuff than I should have to.

STKlingaman
06-12-2009, 11:57 PM
I write individual chapters, and when I'm
happy with what I have I cut and paste
them all unto a new document, then
auto-number it. (I know it's a pain in the
buttisky, but its what I do.)

Tsu Dho Nimh
06-13-2009, 07:20 AM
I noticed this http://marlyspearson.com/formatting_101.htm Guide to Formatting says DON'T DO IT! re: using Word's auto-numbering feature.

Really?

It's buggier than a tropical rain forest! It will do strange and unpredictable things to your numbering and format.

There are work-arounds, but it's not essential for a novelist to know them.

Ctairo
06-13-2009, 11:05 PM
I save all my chapters as separate files. When I insert or delete, I just have to rename the file (or add a new file with a .5, like chapter2.5.doc). Then, when I've got everything mostly edited, I merge them all together into one document and put chapter headers up.

Works extremely well for me. All of Word's autoformat features keep getting me into trouble. I always spend more time going back and fixing the auto-formated stuff than I should have to.

It never occurred to me to make separate files. Hmmm.

Thanks, Catadmin!

I write individual chapters, and when I'm
happy with what I have I cut and paste
them all unto a new document, then
auto-number it. (I know it's a pain in the
buttisky, but its what I do.)

Another vote for separate chapters. And yes, it sounds like a ripe pain in the buttisky, but eh, isn't it always a matter of choosing personal levels of tolerance for the ouchies?

Thanks, STKlingaman!

It's buggier than a tropical rain forest! It will do strange and unpredictable things to your numbering and format.

There are work-arounds, but it's not essential for a novelist to know them.

LOL! It couldn't be much stranger than duplicate or missing chapter numbers. And, what if a novelist wants to know them? I'm curious like that. Any thoughts, Tsu? TIA!

Catadmin
06-14-2009, 12:19 AM
It never occurred to me to make separate files. Hmmm.

Thanks, Catadmin!

You're quite welcome. @=)

One thing about it is it makes editing far easier for me. Since I don't have to search an entire manuscript to find one chapter or one page in a chapter, that is.

Hope it works well for you.