PDA

View Full Version : We are being invaded!

Rachel
06-11-2009, 05:29 PM
I live in the most beautiful area in God's green earth, I tell you! And it is all being ruined.

I don't know if anyone here knows this, but they have "discovered" natural gas in PA. For years our neighbors have been negotiating gas leases and contracts. But now drilling is actually going to start, or so we have been told.

This will mean a pipeline, many unsavory drilling people (I've met a couple of them... bad haircuts, no teeth...) and, of course, the very possible danger to our water supply.

All next door to me, since our closest neighbor is apparently the first to turn to the dark side.

http://www.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUSTRE52J6AP20090320

Button
06-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Drilling right next door? They drill offshore here. I can't imagine drilling in a residential sector.

NeuroFizz
06-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Renounce the pipe running into your house.

Snowstorm
06-11-2009, 07:42 PM
I hear ya, Rachel. Wyoming has the double-edged sword of being blessed with oil and natural gas. Thankfully, the drilling is in places like the Red Desert (I say thankfully only because the drilling's not next door like what you're experiencing).

I understand what you're saying about some of the drillers. I've run into some drillers, incredibly nice and hardworking fellas, but most I wouldn't want around.

Not to scare you, but keep on eye on your water supply. (I recommend getting a professional water sample tested NOW, then keep that report in case later there's an issue.) I thought about buying this very interesting building, but the next-door oil processing station had contaminated the water supply. Water had to be trucked in to this building. I passed on buying it.

I'm sorry it's next door to you. But with gas getting hard to find and the world's population growing, I don't know what else we are to do.

EFCollins
06-11-2009, 07:48 PM
It's happening here too. I live in a very secluded area, more forest than neighbors (And it's gorgeous up here too) and we now have gas access roads everywhere, nice, lovely big bubbles with DANGER and PROPERTY OF signs, trees downed... oh yeah. They're doing a doozie on the area around me. It makes me so mad. I had to change my walk route so I can actually see undisturbed forest. Sad in a place that's more trees than anything else. Those darned gas things are everywhere though.

Sheryl Nantus
06-11-2009, 07:48 PM
wow... a little biased against drillers?

I could say the same about coal miners, since I also live in PA and I'd be very, very wrong...

and about the coal mines in my area.

*shrugs*

Rachel
06-11-2009, 07:51 PM
I would be a little less upset if any of the drillers I'd met so far were even halfway decent people. Maybe the good ones just aren't here yet. :)

Also, a little less upset if I didn't have a horse to water. :) Heaven help the dairy farmer on the other side of us...

EFCollins
06-11-2009, 08:14 PM
Depends on the type of mine, really. Strip, break-away, low coal, high coal... break-away mines are the best, environmentally.

Gas drillers and miners both are usually brash, hard people. But they have to be, don't they? It's the disregard for their surroundings that piss me off. I don't want to take my kids in the woods around my home and have my 8 year old daughter stumble upon a man relieving himself. Which HAS happened.