Script-writing NZ

ysl21

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I wrote a screenplay and it's my first. I was wondering should I pay for professional opinions and assessment on my work? I'm not from the States and it's hard for me to get my screenplay read.

Suggestions?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You can put a bit of it up here in the Share Your Work section (password: vista). There's a subforum for screenplays. Post about 10 pages - you'll usually get some good feedback, and it'll give you a decent idea of whether or not the screenplay is ready to be going out on query submissions.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Welcome to the board. Ditto what Cyia said, post something in the Screenwriting sub-forum in Share Your Work. Read some of the samples posted there, and the sticky info threads, to get a feel for the place. Before I even thought about forking out money for "professional" opinions, I'd try forum networking to get some peer advice, which may not be as brilliant but at the very least it might nudge you in the right direction! And it's entirely possible that feedback received on your first 10 pages can be applied to the entire script. What have you got to lose?

-Derek

ysl21

Registered
Reaction score
cheers, really appreciate the advice...not regretting joining this site

but the thing is this script I wrote is based on a famous game series...and I hear several people attempting to write it...not too keen on my ideas being 'stolen'

Last edited:

Hang of Thursdays

useless info sponge
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I wrote a screenplay and it's my first. I was wondering should I pay for professional opinions and assessment on my work? I'm not from the States and it's hard for me to get my screenplay read.

Suggestions?

I wouldn't, simply because it's your first, and it's almost certainly worse than the next one you'll write. I'd suggest getting as far as you can on your own (Two more scripts? Ten more? Only you can make that determination,) before you drop what can sometimes be serious cash on getting a paid critique.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
cheers, really appreciate the advice...not regretting joining this site

but the thing is this script I wrote is based on a famous game series...and I hear several people attempting to write it...not too keen on my ideas being 'stolen'

Yeah...

the thing is, if it's a script based on an existing series, you're not going to be the one to write it. The people who own it will hire a known name. They aren't going to look at unagented submissions for what amounts to a fanwork.

And if you're writing for an established series, you've minimized your available market. ONLY one group can buy it, which means you're pretty much sunk.

(and those ideas you don't want stolen... if it's an existing series, someone else already has them. I guarantee it.)

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
I'd try forum networking to get some peer advice, which may not be as brilliant but at the very least it might nudge you in the right direction!
-Derek

Not as brilliant? Here? :)

You can pay for coverage, you can revise based on the coverage, and still not sell the script. It's harder to sell a spec feature than a novel(statistically speaking - hopefully yours will be easier than mine).

And PS: When they say they'll get your script read by producers or agents if it's a "recommend", keep in mind that's no more than 1% of scripts they cover. Don't invest money on coverage that you can't afford to kiss goodbye for good. :) That doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad idea, but I've only done peer exchanges, and like to think I've learned enough that the expense isn't warranted.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

ysl21

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah...

the thing is, if it's a script based on an existing series, you're not going to be the one to write it. The people who own it will hire a known name. They aren't going to look at unagented submissions for what amounts to a fanwork.

That's one of my problems. I feel I have written a pretty good script (of course everyone would say that about themselves) and I knw it'll be hard to get recognition or even read. I'm quite in a pickle here.

Jim McLain

Registered
Reaction score
If you have the money go ahead and have it looked at. If you don't know folks who can give you a fair (if sometimes brutal ) hearing sometimes you have to pay to be beaten.