PDA

View Full Version : I came home tonight and walked in on a burglary in progress

Plot Device
06-11-2009, 09:53 AM
They fled right before my eyes. But not before they had trashed my bedroom, ransacked my closet, went through all my things, stole some prescription drugs (including some narcotics) stole my mother's engagement ring, my grandfather's white gold ring, my silver claddagh ring that I bought in Ireland, and my peace of mind.

Cranky
06-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Ah, PD, I'm sorry! I'm assuming you already called the cops, natch. I hope they catch the bleeps!

Writer2011
06-11-2009, 09:57 AM
I hope you're okay...I really am and so, very sorry to hear this. It amazes me that people would be so stupid to do this and to think they'll never get caught. And when they ARE caught, they're always "victims of society"...No..they're messed up, twisted, sick, ect...it's called GET A JOB if you need something that bad!!!

poetinahat
06-11-2009, 10:01 AM
That's awful news, PD. I'm very sorry to hear it - and I very much hope you've got friends and family nearby, just to be with you.

I wish you peace and a sense of security, as soon as you can get it.

Cassiopeia
06-11-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm so sorry. How did they get in?

mario_c
06-11-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm terribly sorry PD. No one is safe anymore, not these days. I hope you get your personal stuff back, at least.

Plot Device
06-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Ah, PD, I'm sorry! I'm assuming you already called the cops, natch. I hope they catch the bleeps!

Thanks, Cranky.

I called my brother and he called the cops. The cops got there first. My brother arrived about ten minutes after them.

Here's the long version of the story, hyper-compressed:

-- Very late on Saturday night my mom called--she says she's sick.
-- I drove all the way out to Westefield to see about her. I called an ambulance and she was admitted to the hopsital rght away.
-- Since her apartment is just two blocks from the hospital, I have been staying at her apartment all this time instead of back in Springfield. So the house in Springfield has been unattended since Saturday.
-- But then today my cell phone ran out of juice. I had to drive back to Springfield to get the battery charger. With no cell phone the doctor can't call me tomorrow with the latest update on my mother.
-- I pulled into the driveway around 10 PM tonight and found two kidd's bikes lying on the sides by the trash cans. That was bizarre.
-- I walked into the house, I could smell a man's cologne, I could see things had moved around strangely, I even found the refrigerator door hanging open. (And I was worried I had left the fridge door open since Saturday night!) And then I found the deadbolt at the back door unbolted. So I surmized that the owners of the bikes were still in the house. I knew I had to get out of there instantly and go call the police--but my cell phone was dead and the charger was upstairs! I decided to drive to a friend's house 4 blocks away and bang on the door.
-- I went back to the car and spotted a kid sneaking out of the back yard, crouched over, carrying a gym bag, weaing a baseball cap and a hoodie up over the cap. I called out to him in anger as he made his way to the street: "You forgot your bicycles!" He ignored me and kept on going.
-- Then a second kid poped up right beside my car -- also with a bag, in a cap and hoodie. He said to me: "What happened?" (all innocent-like).
-- I rolled my eyes and said to him: "Just take your bikes and go!"
-- He apologized and said he and his friend assumed no one was living in the house. He said he and his friend were homeless and had been living in the house for two days now. He promised they hadn't stolen anything. I asked him to do mer a favor and tell me where they enertered the house. He said the hatcheay was unlocked. I asked him to just take the bikes and leave. He did, but said he had to take a piss first and proceeded to piss on the base of the chimney.
-- I was too scared to go back into the house. But my phone was STILL dead. And my charger was STILL up on the second floor.
-- I drove to my friend's house and rang his beel incessantly. He usually downs an entire rum and coke at eight o'clock, then hits the sack around nine o'clock. So I knew he was sleeping soundly.
-- I finally pulled out my cell phone and prayed there was just enough juice in it for one more call. I called my brother. He had flown in from Ohio yesterday and was staying with a friend out in Longmeadow. I called him. He answered. I explained to him that I had just walked in on two kids who had broken into the house. And then the phone died.
-- I reasoned my brother would instantly call the cops, so I decided to head back to the house.
-- I parked out front and waited. The cops arrived and searched the house. They said it was all clear, but my bedroom had been thoroughly tossed.
-- The cop said he needed my drivers license to take the report. I handed it to him. But now (3 hours later) I cant find my license. I don't recall if he gave to back to me or not. I will call the police station tomorrow.
-- I am now back at my mother's apartment. I do not feel "violated." Yet. I'm still trying to get over the shock of losing my grandfather's ring.

fringle
06-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Oh no! That's terrible. I'm so sorry, especially about the ring.

aadams73
06-11-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this.

Plot Device
06-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks, everyone.

Meanwhile, I am sitting here pondering the likelihood that they also stole my fire safe. It's one of those fireproof safes. I bought it at K-Mart 10 years ago. It has my passport, my original Social Security Card, two copies of my birth certificate -- the important stuff. They probably stole it with the intention of breaking it open with more powerful tools. So I guess now my identity has been stolen.

spamwarrior
06-11-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that. How old were they?

fairy86
06-11-2009, 05:57 PM
:Hug2:I am so sorry. I'm just glad they didn't try to hurt you.

Calla Lily
06-11-2009, 05:59 PM
{{{Plot}}} Call all three credit bureaus NOW. Call whoever owns your credit card(s). Call the bank. If you do it fast, you can head off a lot of grief later.

I'm so sorry--and I'm very glad you're okay!

How's your mom?

melaniehoo
06-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Oh my gosh, that's horrible! I'm so sorry!

euclid
06-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Wow! What a bummer! I hope they didn't take that safe.
Cancel all your credit cards right away.
How old were these kids? On bikes? I bet they were locals. Homeless! Hah!
Come back to Ireland as soon as possible and buy another claddagh ring - and call in to see me.
Write everything down (in full). Your nasty experience could be turned to literary gold sometime in the future.

Jersey Chick
06-11-2009, 06:21 PM
{{{HUGS}} I'm sorry this happened. How awful.

Alpha Echo
06-11-2009, 06:23 PM
wow. How scary. I'm so sorry this happened to you, but I am glad you're okay. Physically at least.

kdnxdr
06-11-2009, 06:25 PM
It would take alot of energy and time, but I would bet that those kids actually live relatively close to you. If you were to go to some of the closest places where kids that age congregate, there's a possibility that you would spot the kids again. Also, if you have the bicycles, chances are that prints could be taken from them and filed with a national registry.

If you were to find the kids, you could inconspicously get some names and addresses and send that on to the police. If you wanted, you could hire a private dectective for a few days and he could probably come up with something. I hired one once to find where my ex was living so that he could be served papers. It was worth it.

Also, be careful, if these kids were scouting for a house to hit, they may know that you are a single woman. There is always a possibility that they might come back. The police in a town where I lived broke up a gang of young kids, all living within the area, after they had broken into quite a few of the houses in a certain neighborhood (my daughter's included).

My son had a "friend" who's father was lifting him into peoples' windows to throw things out to him. If caught the boy would only go to juvenile, he was between 9 and 14 when he was doing this. We didn't know until they were finally caught. There was a mom, in the states, that was recently busted as the leader of a gang, her boys & friends, who were breaking into banks. Often these kids represent adults who they "work" for and these kids are trained to this kind of "work".

Please be very careful and take precautions.

kid

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-11-2009, 06:40 PM
You're right, kid. A 16 year old and a 14 year old were (allegedly) hired and trained by two older guys to rob pharmacies in OKC. The pharmacist in the last one shot the 14 YO in the head, the 16 YO (with the gun) made a run for it, and the pharmacist gave chase. Being disabled he didn't chase for long, returned to the interior of the pharmacy and got another gun, emptying it into the 14 YO's body. Claimed the kid was moving and he thought he was going for a weapon. The defense has already established their plan of action since the tape doesn't actually have the kid on the floor in frame - just the pharmacist shooting him. The 16 YO was caught and quickly offered up the names of his two (alleged) employers/mentors.

stormie
06-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Glad you're okay, PD. That's the most important thing.

(By the way, look on craigslist and ebay to see if any of the jewelry or whatever else they took, is on there. Immediately call the police if you do spot something.)

CACTUSWENDY
06-11-2009, 06:53 PM
You were much kinder than I would have been. I would have smashed their bikes to pieces. If the one kid was close enough to me I would have smacked him up the side of the head, like a mom does. I would have been yelling at the top of my lungs all the while so every neighbor in the area would have come out to see what was going on.

I am glad you have someplace else to stay. I hope they catch the little chits.

Namatu
06-11-2009, 07:01 PM
That is awful. Glad you're okay!

Snowstorm
06-11-2009, 07:23 PM
- Thank goodness, you're physically okay.
- I'm glad you can identify the skanks.
- Please take care of yourself and best wishes for getting back you peace of mind soon.
- I hope you can get your jewelry back.
- Accept all the hugs from your AW friends. {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}

euclid
06-11-2009, 08:12 PM
We had a burglar once (about 20) years ago. I reported it to the police and they went straight round to his house and arrested him. There was only one professional burglar in our town then, and whenever anybody got burgled, the cops just went round to his house... He was wearing my leather jacket when they picked him up. It was too big for him - he was a small person, ideal for squeezing in through small windows.

Kitty Pryde
06-11-2009, 08:34 PM
That really sucks!

I will ditto the suggestion to look on craigslist and ebay for your stuff. My friend was robbed a few years back and the police weren't really doing anything about it...until my friend found her laptop and all her roomie's video games for sale by a single seller on ebay. The police subpoenaed the seller's information from ebay and the burglars were caught and prosecuted. I think my friend even got some of her stuff back.

Manix
06-11-2009, 08:36 PM
That really sucks!

I will ditto the suggestion to look on craigslist and ebay for your stuff. My friend was robbed a few years back and the police weren't really doing anything about it...until my friend found her laptop and all her roomie's video games for sale by a single seller on ebay. The police subpoenaed the seller's information from ebay and the burglars were caught and prosecuted. I think my friend even got some of her stuff back.

This is a good idea, but if they were kids on bikes--too bad I wasn't there. I would've jumped 'em! Punks!

No, seriously, you should always let the police handle it. They might have been armed.

Perks
06-11-2009, 09:12 PM
How horrible. That happened to us once, too, ages ago, except whoever broke in had just gotten there and had, apparently decided to warm up with a drink first. There was a bottle of whiskey and a glass on the bar. As we came in, he ran out the back door.

Cybernaught
06-11-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm glad you weren't hurt. That's scary stuff.

Sean D. Schaffer
06-11-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm so sorry that happened to you, PlotDevice. I hope everything works out for you and that the criminals get caught.

backslashbaby
06-11-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm so sorry! I'm glad you didn't get hurt - the most important thing.

My brother in Baltimore heard something in the other (darkened) room of his apartment and was shocked to see a man hanging halfway in his window, the a/c unit now on the floor! The dude slipped back out, thank God.

I was in the shower when my neighbor saw a guy in my bushes making his way to the screenporch. She called 911. The dude slipped out of view and then came flying out about 5 seconds later and ran all the way to his friend's getaway car. He woke up my guarddog in the screenporch - who was quite proud of himself and strutting around all day after :D

Writer2011
06-11-2009, 11:45 PM
What really pisses me off is when these kids are caught, they're "victims of society" and we should feel sorry for them...BULL!!! I have NO sympathy for someone who breaks into a house just for kicks and a few things...there is absolutely no reason to!! PD..I REALLY hope you're okay.

joyce
06-11-2009, 11:45 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about this and your mother. I'm glad you are ok though. I hope the cops find them. If they're on bikes I'd figure they live pretty close.

bluefeline
06-12-2009, 03:04 AM
I'm so sorry! I'm glad you didn't get hurt.

:Hug2:

Millicent M'Lady
06-12-2009, 03:58 AM
That's horrible Plot Device.

I really hope your mother is well again soon and that these little gits are apprehended. I'll say a little prayer that you get your stuff back and thank God you were unharmed. (((hugs)))

mario_c
06-12-2009, 06:55 AM
Yeah, PD, put a freeze on your credit report. You have to contact the bureaus...drat, I have their numbers @ my job and I'm off tomorrow! Well, go to annualcreditreport.com (not the one with the broke rock band in the commercials ;) ) and they should have the info.
Is the safe still there or did they take it with them?
Yeah, and take their bikes to the police - that should give them a leg up on identifying the culprits. I agree with some of the posters, I would have beaten them with their bikes (they had the brass to come back and harass you! What assholes!) but then again, I'm a Big Ugly F...ella :D and clowns such as these are cowards who generally stay away from a guy like me.

Stay safe, and be well. This is a trying time, but we know you'll get through this.

MattW
06-12-2009, 07:20 AM
That sucks PD. Like you had with the second kid, I had similar bizarre conversation with a stranger who beat the snot out of me once. At least you are safe.

Based on your description, I drew up this composite sketch. Feel free to share with the authorities:
http://www.readthehook.com/music/uploads/2008/04/hamburglar.gif

Wayne K
06-12-2009, 12:57 PM
http://hoaxblog.s3.amazonaws.com/mastiff_lg.jpg

Get this guy to watch your stuff.

Wayne K
06-12-2009, 01:00 PM
The feeling of being violated will take a while, but it will go away for the most part.

We have guns and dogs here, though I hate guns. I used to like dogs until Dexter ate my sunglasses.

Wayne K
06-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Now I like most dogs.

regdog
06-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Sorry, glad you're okay

Plot Device
06-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks everyone. Meanwhile, new discoveries:

1) They also stole my gold claddagh ring (I never cared for the gold one--I prefer to wear silver anyway, and the gold one I don;t consider to be as special because I bought it here in the USA rather than back in Ireland)

2) They also stole the DVD player.

Every time I discover something new -- either minor damage they did, or another item they stole -- I turn around and grumble: "When the hell am I going to STOP finding NEW evidence of their having been here?" Each new surprise holds me back from the task of being able to move on dot org and put it all in the past.

I am trying to contact the police department to ammend the police report to include these items also. Horrible beurocracy to try and get through to them.

On other matters: Thank you to the [name withheld] AW poster who left me that really amusing rep point with the machine gun in it. I recall MacAlllister saying last year in my Nazi thread called "How are non-diversity people responding to the election?" in P&CE that there was no way she would allow smilies/emoticons with machine guns/grenade launchers to be among the official selections of AW emticons.

Well, somehow this poster gave me a rep point with an emoticon bearing a machine gun. Hopefully I won't offend anyone by repeating that hysterical and much appreciated rep point here:

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Battle/battle79.gifTo help you feel safer

Susie
06-12-2009, 11:14 PM
I'm so sorry that happened, Plot. Very glad you're safe, though. Hope you get your things back. ((((((HUGS))))).