PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Cleaning!

rhymegirl
06-19-2005, 04:10 AM
So I'm cleaning this big old house for a party and I'm wondering...

What is your least favorite household chore?

book_maven
06-19-2005, 04:15 AM
All of them. Well ... dusting is perhaps my least disliked even though this place produces dust in massive quantities.

BlueTexas
06-19-2005, 04:55 AM
Mopping, without doubt.

Gehanna
06-19-2005, 04:58 AM
Cleaning the toilets! I really dislike having to do that job. Oh that reminds me...

When I was 16 I worked in a restaurant. One night, after we closed, I went to check the bathrooms and in one of the toilets, in the men's bathroom, was this enormous :banana: ... well, it wasn't exactly a dancing banana but I think you get my point.

I didn't know what to do! I was afraid to flush it because I just knew it would cause the toilet to overflow. There's no way I was gonna risk that soo I asked the guy I was working with if he would mind checking the men's bathroom for me while I checked the women's.

Fortunately he agreed and went in.
A few moments later he came out laughing and talking about the giant :banana: in the toilet. He said, "What am I supposed to do about that?" so I handed him a plastic spoon. :D

BradyH1861
06-19-2005, 07:40 PM
My wife hates cleaning, cooking, and sex (not necessarily in that order). I don't mind cooking or cleaning, though I prefer to not wash dishes. That is my least favorite thing to do. I say "wash dishes", but what I mean is rinsing them off and putting them in the dishwasher. I hate doing that for some reason.

Brady H.

JenNipps
06-19-2005, 07:45 PM

Vacuuming.

I don't see all that great, so I don't get the pennies, little rocks, & such picked up out of the floor first and the vacuum gets them all. I hate that.

Not to mention that most vacuum cleaner motors have an underlying whine that hurts my ears.

Nivvie
06-19-2005, 07:56 PM
What I hate most about cleaning is the ability it has to form a big cloud and follow me around if I don't do it.

I am by no means an obsessive, but I hate that 'starting again' feeling when you get home. When you just want to collapse but kids have wrecked the place and there's dirty socks everywhere and Play Doh mashed into the carpet and plates you wished you'd had time to do in the morning as now they're dried and a nightmare, and so on.

Thing is, I only work during school time and the odd night, but my husband often pulls a 17 hour day, so I can't really ask him to do anything and expect to stay married.

mkcbunny
06-19-2005, 08:16 PM
Cleaning the shower. I don't like vacuuming either. Fortunately, my husband is very enthusiastic about both.

aadams73
06-19-2005, 08:19 PM
Dusting. It's worse than syphilis.

maestrowork
06-19-2005, 08:30 PM
Cleaning? What's that?

I have a regular cleaning person. I do, however, do yard work.

rhymegirl
06-19-2005, 08:43 PM
Cleaning? What's that?

I have a regular cleaning person.

Lucky bum. I ask for a maid every Christmas but I never get one.

Since I didn't answer this question yet, my least favorite chore is washing the kitchen floor. What a chore! Did that last night and was totally wiped out. Today the place looks great. And it will stay that way for...oh maybe one day.

Sarita
06-19-2005, 08:55 PM
I HATE washing dishes, which is a nice thing to hate, since they make dishwashers. Mine's named Raoul, he's hot. LOL, actually it's named KitchenAid and it really does the job. Everything else as far as household stuff goes isn't too bad to me.

mommie4a
06-19-2005, 09:06 PM
Putting folded clothes away. Except that on days when I do that, I don't bother with the treadmill. We live in a colonial and putting away towels, kitchen cloths, cloth napkins, tablecloths and then clothes in four separate rooms keeps me moving aerobically for a good 30-45 mins.

lucyishome
06-19-2005, 09:37 PM
I use to hate cleaning. I have been sick with viral menigitis since the end of April and its been a very slow going recovery. My husband has had to take over all of the household duties. I have never looked as forward to getting back to cleaning house as I do now. Although he has done a really great job considering the house has suffered and I can hardly wait to start cleaning it again.

Anne

BradyH1861
06-19-2005, 10:27 PM
I use to hate cleaning. I have been sick with viral menigitis since the end of April and its been a very slow going recovery.

Best wishes for your recovery. My wife had viral meningitis in March of 04. She was in the hospital for a week and a half and then had about three months worth of recovery at home. It took her a while to get back into the swing of things. Anyway, get well soon.

Brady H.

PattiTheWicked
06-19-2005, 10:42 PM
Mopping. There's something about the smell of dirty mop water that makes me want to hurl.

arrowqueen
06-20-2005, 01:26 AM
I have a plaque which reads: 'Boring women have tidy houses.' - or would do, if you could see it beneath the dust.

The wooden elephants on my bedroom windowsill are also so dusty I am now claiming they are woolly mammoths.

When I do tidy, my family get all excited and ask 'Who's coming?'

As long as the kitchen and bog are clean, the rest can go to hell in a handcart.

arrowqueen
06-20-2005, 01:27 AM
Oh, I forgot to say - I'm not awfully keen on housework.

rhymegirl
06-20-2005, 02:06 AM
I have a plaque which reads: 'Boring women have tidy houses.' -

Amen. That means you and I are not boring. That's why I always tell my husband, "If I got a big kick out of cleaning, I wouldn't have gone to college."

astonwest
06-20-2005, 02:19 AM
Emptying a cat box...nasty...

The sign at our house reads "A clean house is a sign of a wasted life."

reph
06-20-2005, 10:26 AM
All the household chores are boring. Okay, nothing is boring in itself: I have to take responsibility for finding it boring. (That was my big, fat superego talking.)

Maybe this idea is outdated, but doesn't willingness to clean show that you're the right kind of person or something like that? A clean house is connected with respectability. Nobody ever said so, exactly, but I got that impression. Something about virtue. Too bad the activity isn't fun in itself. Is a clean house a sign of goodness because it provides evidence that you had the patience to tolerate boredom long enough to tidy it up?

aboyd
06-20-2005, 10:56 AM
hate dishes, love vacuuming

-T

arrowqueen
06-21-2005, 01:52 AM
Ah, yes - the 'Cleanliness is next to Godliness', idea, reph.

Unfortunaterly, once you have children, it's more likely to become 'Cleanliness is next to impossible.'

robeiae
06-21-2005, 02:19 AM
I seriously don't mind cleaning anything...it's such mindless work, it gives me time to think through things.

Rob :)

PattiTheWicked
06-21-2005, 03:37 AM
hate dishes, love vacuuming

-T

I like vacuuming too, because I can tune everything else out and let my mind wander for a bit. I enjoy mowing the grass for the same reason... it's 45 minutes where I can't hear anyone screaming 'Moooooommmmmy, so-and-so hit me/kicked me/called me a poophead/stole my crayons/set the cat on fire/is bleeding!"

rhymegirl
06-21-2005, 03:42 AM
I seriously don't mind cleaning anything...it's such mindless work, it gives me time to think through things.

You're hired!

Unique
06-21-2005, 03:46 AM

NC isn't that far from FL - - come on over!! You'll have plenty of time to think over here!!

But seriously, my biggest beef with cleaning is what I call 'no place to put'....all that 'stuff' we have that has no home of it's own. It merely moves from one room to another - waiting for it's own space. It drives me nuts. For a good laugh, imagine me wandering from room to room with an armful of 'something' muttering all the while, 'where do I put this?' and ending up putting it right back where I got it from in the first place! <Insert loud scream here>

"Hello, Fire Marshal? Does your crew need any practice this week?"

brokenfingers
06-21-2005, 04:47 AM
Well, naturally I hate cleaning and am often amazed when I have guests (like friends wives or sisters) make comments. I think guys, or at least me, just don't see that stuff.

My motto is: As long as it isn't in my way.

The male eye can't see dirt molecules like a woman's eye can. It's a scientific fact. ;)

Whenever one of my female friends says something about my place, I tell her (in a joking way of course) that she should be glad because it's a scientific fact that the only men who keep sparkling clean houses are either gay or serial killers.

mkcbunny
06-21-2005, 06:22 AM
I am a tidier. When the apt get too cluttered, I scurry about putting everything back where it belongs. Order is soothing. The aforementioned husband who likes to vacuum can't let it go for more than a week or he starts to become grumpy. This is a good thing for me. I rather like dusting; not because I actually enjoy the act itself, but because I like the dust to be gone. Same with dishes; don't really like to do them, but I hate to see a pile of dirty dishes. And my hubby will always offer to do the dishes if I put the dry ones away. Being the person who likes order, this is a good task for me. :)

I do actually enjoy doing laundry. There's something comforting about handling warm fabric right out of the dryer.

triceretops
06-21-2005, 09:47 AM
I'm a male living with two male roomates and I do IT ALL. I don't mind cause I'm rent free. I also owned my own house cleaning service at one time. No biggie.

Triceratops

samgail
06-21-2005, 10:08 AM
we live in a very small house and I have to be creative about where to put things-It is so frustrating. By the way where do you put the half of pink pearl eraser and the paper houses from the grade school commerce project, oh and the picnic stuff where the hell do you store picnic stuff...

poetinahat
06-21-2005, 10:45 AM
Give me a nice lawn to mow any day. Especially with trees to make an obstacle course!

Celeste
06-21-2005, 11:06 AM

All of them! :)

Celeste
06-21-2005, 11:10 AM
Unfortunaterly, once you have children, it's more likely to become 'Cleanliness is next to impossible.'

Yep. I gave up on having a clean house years ago. If I do clean it, it only stays clean an hour -- if I'm lucky. So, I figure what the hell... why bother. There's better things to do than clean house. :Shrug:

MarkEsq
06-21-2005, 04:59 PM
My least favorite chore: writing the check for the cleaners. Or wait, is that my fave part?! :)

rhymegirl
06-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Where's your clever title, Mark?

arrowqueen
06-22-2005, 01:13 AM
His cleaner tidied it away and now he can't find it.

DragonHeart
06-22-2005, 01:23 AM
Only chore I really hate is vacuuming, and that's mostly because a. my household consists of vacuum freaks who see one particle of dust and vacuum the entire house, and b. I vacuum the store every shift I work. The entire store. I've developed a deep hatred for the sound of those appliances and avoid using them at home at all costs.

(The only reason why I can stand doing it at work is because that's less time on the register. ;))

~DragonHeart~

thistle
06-22-2005, 03:48 AM
I really hate housekeeping. Back in the day, before I started this full-time writing thing, I had a lovely woman who cleaned my house once a week. Damn, but I miss DeeDee. That woman actually liked cleaning--she loved putting things in order and making them clean. Bless her.

Now, it's all me. My husband works crazy hours and I write, parent, and clean.

Best thing I've done: get rid of the clutter.

Least favorite thing to do: get rid of the clutter.

On the plus side, my nine-year-old is amazing with bathrooms. I bought her a Mr. Clean bathroom tool and she applies it with skill and ruthlessness. She also has her own Swiffer. When I need something swiffed, I just put on music and call for Swiffer Girl to come to the rescue.

robeiae
06-22-2005, 03:54 AM
Well, naturally I hate cleaning and am often amazed when I have guests (like friends wives or sisters) make comments. I think guys, or at least me, just don't see that stuff... Whenever one of my female friends says something about my place, I tell her (in a joking way of course) that she should be glad because it's a scientific fact that the only men who keep sparkling clean houses are either gay or serial killers.

Well, I'm neither *harumph*!

Seriously, I have noticed that women who are big on cleaning concentrate on how things look to potential guests...men like me (who don't mind cleaning) tend to concentrate on "industrial cleanliness." My house doesn't always look like it is kept clean, but believe me, it's really clean. I have serious equipment to make sure it is: tons of chemicals, huge vacuum, and a real mop with a washable head, big yellow bucket and wringer, and "Caution: Wet Floor" sign (I kid you not!).

poetinahat
06-22-2005, 04:34 AM
Whenever one of my female friends says something about my place, I tell her (in a joking way of course) that she should be glad because it's a scientific fact that the only men who keep sparkling clean houses are either gay or serial killers.

Now THAT paints a picture! Reminds me of the "scouring Dutch boy" scene in My Own Private Idaho....

SRHowen
06-22-2005, 05:43 AM
Dishes and laundry top my list of what I hate. Other than that it's an evil that must be done --at least sometimes.

Susie
06-22-2005, 05:47 AM
My hubby and I both have bad backs and therefore our house is not up to having guests and barely up to having us live in it, but we do what we can, when we can. So, if any of you extra-neat folks want to clean something and your houses are already clean, you can come over to us and clean, or better yet, maybe that's not such a good idea. lol.

reph
06-22-2005, 06:42 AM
I have . . . [a] "Caution: Wet Floor" sign (I kid you not!).
Those signs are wonderful when you want to give the impression that you've been mopping.

rhymegirl
06-22-2005, 07:00 AM
I see this thread is still alive. Besides floor mopping I also hate doing the dishes. I threaten to throw them all out the window at least once a week.

mkcbunny
06-22-2005, 10:19 AM
On the same theme, tho a bit more upbeat, we got a new refrigerator yesterday! Bigger, better. And the ice cream is not melting. Woooo hooo!

Susie
06-22-2005, 08:30 PM
Hey, McB, can we all come over for icecream?:) Yummy!

Susie:

aadams73
06-22-2005, 08:46 PM

Susie:

Mmmmmmmm...ice cream. I could use a gallon of that Breyers butter pecan. Probably wouldn't be able to do BIC after that though, on account of my butt no longer being able to fit in said chair. Maybe I could plop down on the couch and write. Now that's a scathingly brilliant idea.

mkcbunny
06-22-2005, 08:50 PM

Susie:
Actually, gulp, I ate it. It was a little bit icy from being defrosted and refrozen. But I ate it anyway. Chunky Monkey. In the future, I won't mention ice cream unless I have enough for everyone in class.

Unique
06-23-2005, 01:17 AM
Cleaning? Cleaning? Detailing the Freaking Truck is absolutely, positively, without a cotton-pickin' doubt, the WORST kind of cleaning I have ever had to do in my entire long-legged life and if I have to detail this cotton-pickin' truck one more time I am going to go ballistic!!!

***Sorry, maybe this belongs in the Scream Thread - but I feel much better now, so I thank you all for allowing me to vent****

(the neighbors call 911 and the men with white coats show up; I'd rather not go there today....)

brokenfingers
06-23-2005, 06:26 AM
Did I mention I'm not big on the whole cleaning the house thing?

For some odd reason, I hate doing dishes most of all. In the past ten years I have taken my pile of dirty dishes and thrown them out and bought new sets - twice!

I knew I'd made a big mistake when I got this place with no dishwasher, but I was in a hurry and the price was right, so...

I hit critical mass about a month ago and was seriously contemplating tossing them all and buying a whole new set - dishes, glasses, silverware, pots & pans etc. - but instead I buckled down and did 'em.

The thing is - I had to actually use the bathtub to do it cuz I had so many!

What can I say? I'm not very domesticated....

Unique
06-23-2005, 04:16 PM
Broken,

Don't they have paper plates where you are? A lot cheaper than new sets of dishes.

Skipp
06-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Man I hate doing dishes.

Since I do most of the cleaning at our house, not to mention a brief gig as a janitor, I don't mind cleaning much. A unique task I've only had to do recently is clean up the... dissected mice our cats leave as little presents.

DJP
06-23-2005, 06:22 PM
I don't keep up on the housework very well, but when I get to it I don't mind it so much. I used to work in a meat department, and got to scrub the meat saw and meat cutting tables every day. Never, never again.

firehorse
06-23-2005, 06:44 PM
I was just saying to someone that I wish my neuroses would manifest in something constructive, like an obsessive need to clean. Instead, I just stay obsessive in my head, and the apartment looks like crap.

Last year, I invested in a heavy duty vacuum cleaner. I've now thrown out my back twice while using it. Maybe I picked one that was a little too strong.

When I shared a house, we had a cleaner come in every other week. That was amazing. Memories...

Broken - I have a set of Stangl I'm looking to sell... but I'm with Unique on the paper plate thing.

rhymegirl
06-23-2005, 06:51 PM
For some odd reason, I hate doing dishes most of all. In the past ten years I have taken my pile of dirty dishes and thrown them out and bought new sets - twice!

Hmm. I agree with ya on hating doing dishes. And while you threw yours out in the trash, I take it, I threaten to throw mine out the window. But I have to be careful that the mailman isn't walking by. The mail must get through.

sassandgroove
06-25-2005, 12:53 AM
Even though I tend to avoid chores, when I do them I don't mind them so much, dishes, mopping, cleaning the bathroom, I don't even mind the toilet that much, or laundry. You know what I hate. Sorting SOCKS! Would you believe, my husband will do it for me now? Yay. He does dishes, too, since I make him yummy food. Oh, and I've been putting off cleaning out that bottom drawer in the fridge too. I hate to think what might be growing in there.

And why is it that paper gathers? I can't seem to get a handle on all that. I hate junk mail, bills, etc.

mkcbunny
06-25-2005, 03:10 AM
OK, I need to amend my answer to this question, because, of course, I was thinking, "What do I hate to do in my OWN apartment?" I neglected to consider that as part of my job (property manager) I might have to, on occasion, clean someone ELSE's apartment before a new tenant moves in. Having spent a couple of hours today, my day off, cleaning a bathroom that isn't mine, I now have to answer that the thing I hate cleaning MOST of all is someone else's scunge. Kitchen or bath scunge; equally disgusting.

Not as bad as a meat saw, though. That would give me nightmares.

sassandgroove
06-27-2005, 11:11 PM
Eww. I had to do that, when I moved in with my husband. I moved into his apartment that he used to share with his buddy. What is now the 'master bedroom' was his friends room. His bathroom was terrible. I don't think he cleaned it once. There were even ratty old washcloths that had been left in wads, and were mildewing. I found medications that had expired before they lived in that apartment. Sheesh. I was so excited when it was clean I had a ribbon cutting ceremony.

brokenfingers
06-28-2005, 05:17 AM
Broken,

Don't they have paper plates where you are? A lot cheaper than new sets of dishes.Yes, believe me - I use paper plates a lot. But there are some things you can't use paper plates for. Like steaks for example (I grill out steaks all the time) Plus, I'm talking bowls, cups, glasses, plates, pots, pans, tupperware, silverware, knives, assorted cookware etc. and more.

One of the reasons I had to use the bathtub to do my dishes is because my ex-fiancee loved buying stuff for our house, including china sets, silverware, pots, pans, bowls, good china etc.

Well I used to just use the regular set when I had a dishwasher, but without one, as soon as I'd run out of an item instead of cleaning 'em, I'd just go into the storage closet and break some more out of the boxes.

When I finally went through all the sets - I realized I had a helluva lot more dishes than my sink could hold.