I Hate Cleaning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm cleaning this big old house for a party and I'm wondering...

What is your least favorite household chore?

book_maven

Reader Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
All of them. Well ... dusting is perhaps my least disliked even though this place produces dust in massive quantities.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Cleaning the toilets! I really dislike having to do that job. Oh that reminds me...

When I was 16 I worked in a restaurant. One night, after we closed, I went to check the bathrooms and in one of the toilets, in the men's bathroom, was this enormous :banana: ... well, it wasn't exactly a dancing banana but I think you get my point.

I didn't know what to do! I was afraid to flush it because I just knew it would cause the toilet to overflow. There's no way I was gonna risk that soo I asked the guy I was working with if he would mind checking the men's bathroom for me while I checked the women's.

Fortunately he agreed and went in.
A few moments later he came out laughing and talking about the giant :banana: in the toilet. He said, "What am I supposed to do about that?" so I handed him a plastic spoon. :D

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
My wife hates cleaning, cooking, and sex (not necessarily in that order). I don't mind cooking or cleaning, though I prefer to not wash dishes. That is my least favorite thing to do. I say "wash dishes", but what I mean is rinsing them off and putting them in the dishwasher. I hate doing that for some reason.

Brady H.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
rhymegirl said:
So I'm cleaning this big old house for a party and I'm wondering...

What is your least favorite household chore?

Vacuuming.

I don't see all that great, so I don't get the pennies, little rocks, & such picked up out of the floor first and the vacuum gets them all. I hate that.

Not to mention that most vacuum cleaner motors have an underlying whine that hurts my ears.

Nivvie

Rejections, She Wrote.
Registered
Reaction score
What I hate most about cleaning is the ability it has to form a big cloud and follow me around if I don't do it.

I am by no means an obsessive, but I hate that 'starting again' feeling when you get home. When you just want to collapse but kids have wrecked the place and there's dirty socks everywhere and Play Doh mashed into the carpet and plates you wished you'd had time to do in the morning as now they're dried and a nightmare, and so on.

Thing is, I only work during school time and the odd night, but my husband often pulls a 17 hour day, so I can't really ask him to do anything and expect to stay married.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
Cleaning the shower. I don't like vacuuming either. Fortunately, my husband is very enthusiastic about both.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Dusting. It's worse than syphilis.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
Cleaning? What's that?

I have a regular cleaning person.

Lucky bum. I ask for a maid every Christmas but I never get one.

Since I didn't answer this question yet, my least favorite chore is washing the kitchen floor. What a chore! Did that last night and was totally wiped out. Today the place looks great. And it will stay that way for...oh maybe one day.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I HATE washing dishes, which is a nice thing to hate, since they make dishwashers. Mine's named Raoul, he's hot. LOL, actually it's named KitchenAid and it really does the job. Everything else as far as household stuff goes isn't too bad to me.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Putting folded clothes away. Except that on days when I do that, I don't bother with the treadmill. We live in a colonial and putting away towels, kitchen cloths, cloth napkins, tablecloths and then clothes in four separate rooms keeps me moving aerobically for a good 30-45 mins.

lucyishome

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use to hate cleaning. I have been sick with viral menigitis since the end of April and its been a very slow going recovery. My husband has had to take over all of the household duties. I have never looked as forward to getting back to cleaning house as I do now. Although he has done a really great job considering the house has suffered and I can hardly wait to start cleaning it again.

Anne

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
lucyishome said:
I use to hate cleaning. I have been sick with viral menigitis since the end of April and its been a very slow going recovery.

Best wishes for your recovery. My wife had viral meningitis in March of 04. She was in the hospital for a week and a half and then had about three months worth of recovery at home. It took her a while to get back into the swing of things. Anyway, get well soon.

Brady H.

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I have a plaque which reads: 'Boring women have tidy houses.' - or would do, if you could see it beneath the dust.

The wooden elephants on my bedroom windowsill are also so dusty I am now claiming they are woolly mammoths.

When I do tidy, my family get all excited and ask 'Who's coming?'

As long as the kitchen and bog are clean, the rest can go to hell in a handcart.

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to say - I'm not awfully keen on housework.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
arrowqueen said:
I have a plaque which reads: 'Boring women have tidy houses.' -

Amen. That means you and I are not boring. That's why I always tell my husband, "If I got a big kick out of cleaning, I wouldn't have gone to college."

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
All the household chores are boring. Okay, nothing is boring in itself: I have to take responsibility for finding it boring. (That was my big, fat superego talking.)

Maybe this idea is outdated, but doesn't willingness to clean show that you're the right kind of person or something like that? A clean house is connected with respectability. Nobody ever said so, exactly, but I got that impression. Something about virtue. Too bad the activity isn't fun in itself. Is a clean house a sign of goodness because it provides evidence that you had the patience to tolerate boredom long enough to tidy it up?

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, yes - the 'Cleanliness is next to Godliness', idea, reph.

Unfortunaterly, once you have children, it's more likely to become 'Cleanliness is next to impossible.'

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
aboyd said:
hate dishes, love vacuuming

-T

I like vacuuming too, because I can tune everything else out and let my mind wander for a bit. I enjoy mowing the grass for the same reason... it's 45 minutes where I can't hear anyone screaming 'Moooooommmmmy, so-and-so hit me/kicked me/called me a poophead/stole my crayons/set the cat on fire/is bleeding!"

Status
Not open for further replies.