PDA

View Full Version : writing buddy?

CrissyM
06-11-2009, 12:43 AM
I've been trying to figure out how to give myslef a boost to not only write, but edit and FINISH my novel. I did great with the writers workshop I had at one time, but I'm thinking a little one on one might be a better idea cause I don't have time to keep up with a workshop anymore.

So... do any of you have a writing buddy? Someone who pokes you to write more, reads what you've writen maybe, and you do the same for them? I think if you had the right writing buddy it might be a nice thing to have.

Writer2011
06-11-2009, 12:47 AM
No writing buddy here..i've tried a few times, but it went virtually unnoticed. I had a few offers but well, that's a long story. I'd LOVE to have a writing buddy to finish my screenplay...or work with someone on a novel :)

TheIT
06-11-2009, 12:48 AM
I'm lucky enough to have an alpha reader (not a writer, but she reads my pages with the ink still dripping and offers great advice) and a local writing group with some wonderful members.

Leanan-Sidhe
06-11-2009, 03:40 AM
I have a writing buddy! She reads my writing as I churn it out (and vice versa), and the feedback really does keep me motivated.

Izz
06-11-2009, 05:42 AM
I've got a group of writers i hang out with online (not talking about AW here, though this is another place where i can hang out with other writers :D), and most of them have a lot of experience in the industry and have been to various workshops, so i can always count on good advice and critique.

I've found that other sets of eyes are far more effective at noticing things that need improvement than my own.

CrissyM
06-11-2009, 11:30 AM
So where did you get your writing buddies? Just happen on them?

dreamsevolve
06-11-2009, 11:53 PM
I have a livejournal account and I found it was really helpful, because there are a lot of writers on there and when we get close enough (because writing is a personal thing and you don't want to give it to just anyone) I add them on msn or something and we talk there. We read alot of each other's work because even if you don't get feedback, it's just fun to have something to share in the excitement with... although, my blog tends to get less comments when the same people are on your msn.

PM me and we can chat, I am always looking for more people to talk too.

RunawayScribe
06-12-2009, 09:09 PM
I have a writing buddy who I happened across on another site a few years ago, and she's wonderful. Also, one of my closest friends is a writer, and we exchange work a couple times a week.

That said, I've been thinking about looking for another writing buddy for mutual encouragement and diversity of reaction and opinion. If you'd like, PM me and we can talk. :)

Fallon Blake
06-19-2009, 05:13 PM
It's one of the things that prompted me to join here. I have a reader that I send pages to every week or so. She's in my target audience and a member of a book club I belong to. I'd love to find another writer though. I'm desperate for good feedback.

StandJustSo
06-20-2009, 11:38 AM
I would love to meet with a small group of writers (aspiring or otherwise) online 2 or 3 times a week via Instant Messenger to discuss each others current writing projects and help each other develop our writing skills.

We could offer critiques, make suggestions, and give instant and honest feedback to each other. Everyone would have to be actively writing, and be willing to read and discuss other peoples' work instead of just their own. Not having a thin skin would be good also, lol

dnic
06-21-2009, 05:32 AM
Same here, actually. I would love someone to discuss and bounce ideas off of. I used to do it with a few friends, but our styles and genres that we were interested in were so different that (sad to say), we really couldn't give decent feedback to each other aside from grammatical issues.

Would anyone be interested in doing a writing buddy/circle thing here? More for WIPs rather than finished writings?

Chasing the Horizon
06-21-2009, 05:44 AM
I'd be interested. Except I don't know how to use IM (seriously, I have no clue. Where do I get it? What do I do with it?) I much prefer reading and talking about other peoples work instead of my own. :D

dreamsevolve
06-21-2009, 02:52 PM
I like the idea about a group to meet over instant chat. I have msn, yahoo, gtalk and aim. And to get an instant messaging service you sign up, or maybe one is run by your email provider.

StandJustSo
06-22-2009, 05:03 AM
Those who are interested in starting a small online writing group with me, please send me a PM, and we'll begin talking about preferred genres and so on, time zones and all that.

We would meet via MSN Messenger, 2 or 3 times a week.

CrissyM
06-29-2009, 09:59 PM
Even better... if everyone signs up for Meebo.com you can be on all of your IMs at once including Facebook, Myspace, etc. etc.

danaeayusso
06-30-2009, 03:44 AM
there is way too much crap in my head to try to even begin to get into it with someone else. my problem is putting the breaks on and stopping.
I pound out over 1000 words an hour so--i need to learn to stop

Jester98
08-15-2010, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't mind having a writing buddy either, I don't at the meantime, but I'd like to get one. If you do too, maybe we can get in contact?
My email:
deedi_98@hotmail.com

Bufty
08-15-2010, 06:15 PM
I wouldn't mind having a writing buddy either, I don't at the meantime, but I'd like to get one. If you do too, maybe we can get in contact?
My email: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

First post -no profile- and you put your e-mail address on an open Board?

That's not a very prudent thing to do.

Linda Adams
08-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Don't know if this will help, but Forward Motion (http://www.fmwriters.com/community/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=6&page=) is very focused on goals and challenges. They have goals and page/word count forums. The members just post their progress, and everyone cheers them on.

Steflesslie
08-16-2010, 03:35 AM
I'm interested in having a writing group/buddy, considering I have so many starts for novels but just never have the motivation to finish them. And at the moment I'm editing/Re-writing my second novel which you would all know is a very frustrating time.

Anyone who is interested just PM me or add me at steflesslie@hotmail.com

:)

Best of luck to everyone.

amlptj
08-16-2010, 03:47 AM
I've been really interested in either a writing buddy or group. I think there might be problems though with differnt genres though. I write YA horror anyone else? I'd love to bounce ideas off someone who writes in horror of YA or both! Well if anyone else is like me PM me!

Steflesslie
08-16-2010, 09:14 AM
to amlptj- I think if we form a writing group like StandJustSo suggested we should be open minded to the genres to enhance our writing abilities. I like anything that isn't too disturbing... or has clowns in it! argh.

Anyway, really hope this would work out because I write YA too :)

PM me if anyone is interested.

Best wishes to everyone.

AlishaS
08-17-2010, 04:26 AM
I want a friend... Er, I mean, writing buddy lol.

I write mostly YA, both paranormal and romance (with tragic endings lol)

Anyone up for a swap? I'd be happy to read what you have, if you read what I have. PM me, and I'd be happy to gove you some more info about my current work in progress.