Doctors, governments, and death are far more dangerous than...

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to see data on how many people drunk drivers save each year vs. how many people doctors save each year.

That would be an interesting study.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I'd like to see data on how many people drunk drivers save each year vs. how many people doctors save each year.

That would be an interesting study.

Or how many drunk driver victims are saved by doctors each year. Because without those doctors, something tells me the dd victim number would be much, much higher.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
An average of 195,000 people in the U.S. are killed by medical malpractice every year. www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/11856.php

Why is driving drunk illegal? Drunks are far less dangerous than doctors.
Did you read the article you linked to here? It doesn't attribute the deaths to "doctors," so your conclusion is invalid and your thread title is misleading.

And your first number--43,000 killed by drunk drivers--is also wrong. That's the number of people killed in TOTAL, not in alcohol-related accidents.

Sheesz.

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
Did you read the article you linked to here? It doesn't attribute the deaths to "doctors," so your conclusion is invalid and your thread title is misleading.

And your first number--43,000 killed by drunk drivers--is also wrong. That's the number of people killed in TOTAL, not in alcohol-related accidents.

Sheesz.

Party pooper.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Or how many drunk driver victims are saved by doctors each year. Because without those doctors, something tells me the dd victim number would be much, much higher.

Agreed!

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Does anyone have the stats for how many drunk drivers have performed successful surgical operations?

-Derek

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have the stats for how many drunk drivers have performed successful surgical operations?

-Derek

A drunk driver successfully separated me from my bad gall bladder! Unfortunately the operation was performed with a two-tonne aluminium scalpel and I lost the rest of my lower torso with it.

Reaction score
Ok, so it's even worse. Only 17,000 people are killed by drunk drivers every year compared to 195,000 by medical errors which are ultimately the doctor's fault because the physician's are in charge of their patient's care. The nurses follow the physician's instructions.

Maybe I should change it to nurses and doctors are ten times more dangerous than drunk drivers.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
And whom are you gonna go to if you're sick, a doctor or a drunk driver?

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so it's even worse. Only 17,000 people are killed by drunk drivers every year compared to 195,000 by medical errors which are ultimately the doctor's fault because the physician's are in charge of their patient's care. The nurses follow the physician's instructions.
Don't forget pharmacists! And unit secretaries. And all the other professionals who can, sadly, impact care.

And sometimes nurses make errors all their own. Being human, and all.
Maybe I should change it to nurses and doctors are ten times more dangerous than drunk drivers.
You really should. I want to see just how far from reality you can go.

;)

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

People aren't "killed" by medical errors. They sometimes die because of them. How--exactly--do you go about preventing such errors? I know! Let's stop all medical treatment, then there will be no more errors!

Maybe you should step back, process some of this, and decide what it is you really want to say and talk about, here.

Because so far, it's all kinda pointless.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Doctors have saved my life several times. Drunk Drivers, not once. In fairness, though, I haven't really given drunk drivers the opportunity.

I mean, this thread, REALLY?

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Mordechai, once again, you're ignoring the responses to your OP.

If you get sick are you going to stay away from doctors?

People go to doctors with problems that might kill them without intervention, so I argue that they save and help far more than they hurt.

Drunk drivers DON'T HELP ANYONE!!!

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
You been smokin' some of those good buds, Mordechai?

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps Mordechai's trying to make drunk driving legal. Or doctors illegal. Or both.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lets replace doctors with robots and see how many people die then! B/c no matter how much we like to think otherwise, medicine is more art than science. It's all one big frustrating puzzle game. Anyone telling you different is selling something.

Plus, not all malpractice claims are built on fact.

KCathy

Writer when I grow up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherinebusinelle.com
Gee, if I didn't know any better, I'd almost think ol' MGB was trying to start an argument by stating a ridiculous, obviously idiotic opinion that would rile people up, simply for the fun of it.

Nah, couldn't be. That wouldn't be like him.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Governments far more dangerous than doctors, drunk drivers

According to another thread, medical malpractice results in 195,000 deaths a year, while drunk driving results in a paltry 17,000 deaths per year. Both these groups are pikers when it comes to causing death and destruction.

According to Zbigniew Brzezinski, who falls in the middle of the estimates, what he terms "Lives deliberately extinguished by politically motivated carnage" totaled approximately 175,000,000 for the twentieth century, or 1,750,000 per year. That's almost 10 times the medical malpractice deaths, and a hundred times those caused by drunk driving.

This doesn't count property damage, which would be negligible for doctors and not all that great even for the drunk drivers. Governments would be the clear winner there as well.

:D