What would you make of this email?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
I found an email, in my googlemail account, this morning, headed with the fan site that I do for my favourite film star. It was then followed, inside, by this:

My name is *** and I am with the *** team. The company has developed and launched on -- , an Online HD Movie Streaming site. You can take a look at *** (the link didn't actually work when I tried it).
I work for *** trying to improve the SEO of *** and was hoping we could start up a relationship of some sort. I am willing to discuss any ideas you may have and negotiate any terms that are acceptable to you.

Contact me at your convenience and maybe we can do something together.

Signed ***

Do you think it's some kind of scam?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
My first instinct would be scam or spam. But I could be wrong.

Samantha's_Song

Registered
Reaction score
it probably is, but I'd never be daft enough to fill in any kind of personal details on the internet, not that they'd asked for any... yet. I did reply to the email and asked them what they were specifically asking of me though.

My first instinct would be scam or spam. But I could be wrong.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like spam and I would never try to open a link with them.

Samantha's_Song

Registered
Reaction score
I've just googled the site, although the links to them don't seem to be working right now, they do seem to be a legit new film site.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I've just googled the site, although the links to them don't seem to be working right now, they do seem to be a legit new film site.

If their email address isn't consistent with the site, then they're a spammer. By replying to them, you've confirmed that your email address is active, and you can now expect to get any manner of spam.

Samantha's_Song

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think it was most probably spam too. But google are pretty good at recognising spam and sending it straight into the spam folder; it might not have happened with this one, but at least I can filter it by name etc in future.
This is why I have many email accounts, the one that is was sent to, I use for signing up for things etc, so it doesn't really make much of a difference from all the stuff I usually delete without reading.

If their email address isn't consistent with the site, then they're a spammer. By replying to them, you've confirmed that your email address is active, and you can now expect to get any manner of spam.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
Looks like they might have been after a link. Do you own a website? Have a blog? They probably got your email address from that somehow, and want you to put a link on your website. I used to get those all the time for my websites.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Run a virus scan, change any passwords you have, e-mail, AW etc. and check that your credit card numbes haven't been compromised if you shop online.

Samantha's_Song

Registered
Reaction score
ButtonTheCat - Yes, I do have a website, and yes, that would have been where they got my email address from. As for links, I've got enough fodder on there as it is. lol. Unless they're prepared to promote my site too, seeing as it's all to do with a film star.

Regdog - I'm running a scan right now. Do I really need to change every single password that I have for all email accounts, websites, etc? That's going to take me a month of Sundays! lol. I do shop online, but there would be nothing in the account that this email was sent to.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Or, they are an idiot who hasn't set up their website properly. That is possible too. Check Whois and see if the registered name matches. You can always send snail mail to the registered owner and see if this person represents them if you believe it may be legitimate.

The thing you have to ask yourself if it is legit, is whether you want to work with someone who can't set up their site to work correctly. ;)

Samantha's_Song

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for this, Ambrosia. Through other websites, with links to this website, I was able to get through to it, so the actual website is legit. It did also come up on Whois, with snail mail addresses etc. But I rechecked the original email, and it was a Yahoo one, also with two other email addresses added at the bottom, they are googlemail and livemail, not actually from said company. So we'll put this down as spam/scam.methinks.

Or, they are an idiot who hasn't set up their website properly. That is possible too. Check Whois and see if the registered name matches. You can always send snail mail to the registered owner and see if this person represents them if you believe it may be legitimate.

The thing you have to ask yourself if it is legit, is whether you want to work with someone who can't set up their site to work correctly. ;)

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Or, they are an idiot who hasn't set up their website properly. That is possible too.

True, but personally I wouldn't risk it. This one seems far too good to be true.

Samantha's_Song

Registered
Reaction score
Right, I've had an email back from this lady. She wants to do a mutual link to each others sites. I would usually just ignore and delete something like this, but seeing as she works for a place that deals with people watching films, and this website of mine is to do with a film star, then it's just sending traffic to each others sites. Oh, and I did ask her to send me links of which sites my own would be featured on.

Samantha's_Song

Registered
Reaction score
Links can be deleted in a blink of an eye; I can think of much worse things happening over the net. Only yesterday, I find out that a CD I ordered, and apparently sent out, has got lost in the post. So some thieving swine now has my name and address etc, along with my CD, that's much worse than having a swap of links that might end up going nowhere. :)

It's definitely a scam. If something feels too good to be true, then avoid it at all costs. Even if it's a simple link exchange.

spamwarrior

rewriting.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
acurrentundersea.wordpress.com
True, but I received an email like that a few days ago and it ended in my spam box. The writer wanted to write a guest post on my blog. All she asked for was a link exchange.

Something about it didn't sit well with me... I mean, why would she ask for nothing more than that?

It's just weird.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
It wasn't Zml was it?

If so, they are legit....well....kind of. lol Legit in the sense that if you pay them money, you will be able to download full length movies. Legally? I have no clue.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Oh ghod, it's just another one of a rash of recent spam turds that everyone with a website gets. A-holes trying to sell you worthless SEO services gauranfuckingteed to get you a higher Goog-rank but mainly to get them a fast buck or at least a backlink.

NEVER CLICK ON LINKS IN E-MAIL

or reply to spam.

Samantha's_Song

Registered
Reaction score
Hi peeps,
It is a video streaming site and it's called iReel. I won't be paying them any money for anything, I'm not that crazy. lol. It's just a mutual exchange of links, they deal with films, I have a site about a film star, so it seems quite logical to me.

But I definitly won't be clicking onto links in emails anymore. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.