PDA

View Full Version : Can you hear your own heart?

euclid
06-10-2009, 01:43 PM
You're lying in bed, scared. You can hear your own breath, but can you hear your own heart beating?

alleycat
06-10-2009, 01:53 PM
I have heard my heart pulsing while in bed if I'm lying on my side and my ear is against a pillow. It's not so much hearing my heart as hearing the pulse of blood flow (it sounds like it's actually beating in my ear). During times of excitement it's more feeling my heart pounding than hearing it.

Ken
06-10-2009, 02:46 PM
... posted this a few days ago in the Carradine thread, in way of tribute.
Thought you might find it of interest, as it refers to the topic you bring up:

Master Po: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Young Caine: I hear the water, I hear the birds.
Po: Do you hear your own heartbeat?
Caine: No.
Po: Do you hear the grasshopper that is at your feet?
Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?[1]

source: Wikipedia / Carradine, Kung Fu

PrincessKitten
06-10-2009, 02:52 PM
I have a slight heart condition which makes me suffer more from paranoia than an elevated pulse. I don't think I can hear it, but I can concentrate and feel my pulse, especially if I'm lying down trying to sleep.

citymouse
06-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Yes. It's common.
C

I have heard my heart pulsing while in bed if I'm lying on my side and my ear is against a pillow. It's not so much hearing my heart as hearing the pulse of blood flow (it sounds like it's actually beating in my ear). During times of excitement it's more feeling my heart pounding than hearing it.

Shamisen
06-10-2009, 03:33 PM
I think that you can. Usually I only hear it when I'm in bed late at night and I'm either over-tired or anxious. I can hear my heart pounding in my ears - it's not the traditional 'thud-thud' noise but more like a rushing, pulsating sound which is amplified in my head. I often feel light-headed as well.

Plot Device
06-10-2009, 03:44 PM
In the right circumstances (late at night, all alone, very little noise in the room, my own heart rate somewhat elevated but my respiration very calm and quiet) I can hear the blood pulsing rhythmically through the vessels found inside my ears. But hearing those vessels is not directly the same as hearing my heart. But I guess it's close enough

Puma
06-10-2009, 04:23 PM
I think it's more likely to hear the sound of the blood pulses than the actual pumping of the heart. But thinking about that makes me wonder, when the doctors use a stethoscope, are they really hearing the heart muscle or the blood pulses. Puma

Roger J Carlson
06-10-2009, 04:49 PM
I can hear my pulse right now, and I'm at work with two computers humming in the background. I say "pulse" rather than heartbeat because what I hear is "thub -- thub -- thub". A heartbeat is "thub-dub -- thub-dub -- thub-dub". I don't think you can ever actually hear your own heartbeat because the pulse in your ears will drown it out if it gets that quiet.

On the other hand, I don't think it would be wrong to write that a character could hear his heart when technically he is hearing his pulse. It amounts to the same thing.

CowgirlPoet
06-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Been there, done that: the answer is YES. ;)

Newguy1428
06-11-2009, 02:21 AM
Some people can hear their own heart, pulse, all of the time. It has to do with how close the artery is to your inner ear. Resting your head on a pillow can change the dynamics of your ear as well as increased pulse rate. I remember having felt my heart beating when playing hide and seek.

Chase
06-11-2009, 02:59 AM
I'm deaf--total nerve deafness--so I can't hear my pulse/heartbeat. But I can feel it without fingers to my radial wrist artery or carodid in my neck.

Perhaps this is part of what you all "hear."

Soccer Mom
06-11-2009, 03:28 AM
Hearing your blood whooshing is also a symptom of high blood pressure.

Izz
06-11-2009, 05:44 AM
I've woken up a few times in the middle of the night, my heart thundering in my chest, a thud-dub, thud-dub, thud-dub in my ears (and not always in a regular pattern, either, which is a little worrying...).

RunawayScribe
06-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I've heard mine when I've been freaked out and it was racing. I could also feel it, though, which might have, at least in my own mind, racheted up the level of the sound. I can also hear it if my ear is pressed to something while I'm lying down - my arm, a pillow, the mattress, etc..

CarolSanDiego
06-13-2009, 03:06 AM
I think it's more likely to hear the sound of the blood pulses than the actual pumping of the heart. But thinking about that makes me wonder, when the doctors use a stethoscope, are they really hearing the heart muscle or the blood pulses. Puma

Through the stethoscope, you are hearing the sounds of the heart valves closing, as well as any abnormalities associated with that.

http://www.surgeryencyclopedia.com/St-Wr/Stethoscope.html

"The noises are created when the heart valves click to close. When one hears "lub," the atrioventricular valves are closing. The "dub" sound is produced by the pulmonic and aortic valves. Other heart sounds, such as a quiet "whoosh," are produced by "murmurs." These sounds are produced when there are irregularities in the path of blood flow through the heart. The sounds reflect turbulence in normal blood flow. If a valve remains closed rather than opening completely, turbulence is created and a murmur is produced. Murmurs are not uncommon; many people have them and are unaffected. They are frequently too faint to be heard and remain undetected."

It seems I have heard my heart pounding (or blood vessels pulsing) in my ears when my heart rate is up. I tend to notice my aortic artery in my stomach pulsing when I'm flat on my back. Sometimes I can even see it pulsing - a tiny rise in my abdomen.

Manix
06-13-2009, 03:08 AM
Listen to your heart:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sJPUTTfNbg

Manix
06-13-2009, 03:10 AM
Sorry. That was a bump thread.:D Carry on.

BAY
06-13-2009, 06:32 AM
Blood pressure is the sound of blood slamming and jamming inside arterial vessel walls. The heavier the arterial plaque (think of plaque as acne in the vessels) the harder it is for the blood to squeeze through, which creates higher pressures. The heart has to pump harder to push blood over and around the pimples. Same idea with a water hose filled with rocks. You have to apply more preassure to push the water through it.

What I think you're hearing is an echo from arteries, probably carotid, dealing with high preassure inside. Some doctors call this a pulstile tinnitus, but this is a relatively new term. Google it.

MattW
06-13-2009, 06:51 AM
At night, I can often hear my pulse, and feel the throb in my temples.

If I was very still, my old bed would tap the wall in time with my heartbeat.

So yeah, there's more than hearing but it's possible.

Fenika
06-13-2009, 06:54 AM
I was gonna jump in but most people have it covered.

However, the pulse and heart beat should not be EVER considered to be technically the same thing. Yes, sometimes doctors/nurses take your pulse and write it as your heart rate (should be pulse rate). Yes they are very close. But no, they are not the same for all sorts of reasons, including fluid dynamics in different organs (heart vs vessel).

And having actually heard an actual arrhythmia clearly through an actual stethoscope, (in an alpaca) I can vouch that you are in fact hearing the heart loud and clear when over the heart area. Just look up 'points of maximum intensity heart' for some niffty facts (or maybe it's only nifty to vet med students)

PS- Having an odd body, I often feel my pulse in my abdomen. Apparently my aorta doesn't like to be obscure. And yes, sometimes it feels like I'm hearing it. If bad enough I can feel my tachycardic heart as well, but I've never heard my heart afaik. Not sure how the sound would radiate to my ear through all that soft tissue ;)

spamwarrior
06-15-2009, 03:32 AM
Yup. I can.

JrFFKacy
06-15-2009, 06:35 AM
If I've been out running and stop abruptly for some reason (or just start walking to cool down), I feel my heart pounding and can sometimes hear it.

scarletpeaches
06-15-2009, 06:37 AM
You're lying in bed, scared. You can hear your own breath, but can you hear your own heart beating?

Why, yes, of course you can. Did not Roxette sing Listen to Your Heart?

Surely they would not lie.

curious1980
06-17-2009, 09:30 AM

I can't hear it...like you would imagine. But sometimes my heart beats so hard that the pulse in my ears makes it seem like there's sound. Really it's just the thump of my pulse. Hope that makes sense lol.

backslashbaby
06-17-2009, 09:54 AM
When I get a migraine I can hear my pulse loudly and feel/see it on my temple. I can't usually hear it.

euclid
06-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks everyone. Somehow I got unsubscribed and only returned to this thread today. So the answer to the question is YES, I guess.