Different books with different agents at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude in Hammock

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I've just completed my first book, but I'm seeing that there's a lot of time spent waiting while the editing process takes place. So I'd like to get started on my next project, which is completely unrelated to the one I just turned in. I'm wondering if I'd be breaking any rules by pitching this project to a different agent? I'd like to see how it is to work with someone else. I don't have any big complaints about agent #1, but it would be good to see how different people work. I should add that a follow-up to project #1 is already under discussion with the first agent. So the situation would be books 1 and 3 with him, book 2 with someone else.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
My only thought would be this:

Talk to agent #1 about it. Ask him if he would mind. Tell him what your reasoning is. If you go ahead with another agent and he finds out later...

Gatita

Girl reporter
Registered
Reaction score
My agent has first right of refusal on anything I do, it's in our contract.

But even if that's not in yours, I think it would be courteous to run it by him before you pitch someone else. You don't want him hearing about it through the grapevine instead of from you.

wrtaway

to be determined later
Registered
Reaction score
FYI, I landed an agent for my novel over a year ago. She has tried, but hasn't been able to place it anywhere.

I then wrote a non-fiction proposal (my agent does NOT rep non-fiction - even says so on her website). I didn't know what she would say/do, but it turns out that she loved it, submitted it, and sold it within two weeks.

Consider giving your first agent a chance, if she can be enthusiastic about your next project.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Don't do it. Give your present agent first dibs on everything you write, even if not required be contract. It's not only good business, it shows that you are a professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.