PDA

View Full Version : Land of the Lost--- Bomb of the Summer?

dgiharris
06-10-2009, 10:32 AM
So,

the reviews for Land of the Lost aren't looking so good. Granted, there are only a couple of 'professional' critics I listen to (Maestro of course ;) )

But the fans are not happy either as shown by yahoo user reviews.

The film cost around $100M to make, and opening weekend they made... wait for it... wait for it.... $18M

Holy shit. If memory serves, 60% - 70% of the entire revenue stream of a movie is usually made in the first 3 weeks - 4 weeks.

This looks like its going to be a huge bomb.

Anyone seen it?

What is your take?

Me? I'm waiting for it to come out on HBO.

Mel...

Vincent
06-10-2009, 10:39 AM
But surely Will Ferrell's mere presence is a guarantee of a quality cinematic experience?

Leah_Michelle
06-10-2009, 12:03 PM
But surely Will Ferrell's mere presence is a guarantee of a quality cinematic experience?

Rofl. I can't even answer that with a straight face...

Smileycat
06-10-2009, 12:10 PM
This movie is worse than stupid. I was supposed to laugh at the trailer where he rolls over slowly to escape whatever was chasing him? Only little tiny (under 3) children would laugh at that, if at all.

The fault is not with Ferrell, who did a good job in the movie "Stranger Than Fiction," where he proved he can act. He isn't, of course, Laurence Olivier, but that kind of actor is very rare anyway.

Celia Cyanide
06-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Needs more cowbell.

Jcomp
06-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Easily will be the bomb of the summer, I think. Just a disastrous idea from the get go, not just in the film, but in the release date. A pseudo-family comedy (as presented in the commercials) coming out a week after a Pixar movie. A "hard" PG-13 comedy with some faux-crude humor coming out on the same weekend as a legitimately crude, decidedly R-rated comedy. This movie managed to be both things. It's one of the worst release ideas I think I've ever seen...

Cyia
06-10-2009, 11:16 PM
This is one of those movies where you have to wonder who thought it was a good idea. Just sitting through the trailer was enough to know it wasn't worth sitting through -- though I love that the people in the theater were cheering on the T-Rex. :D

(seriously -- men in lizard suits??? this costs $100 million? Seriously?)

James81
06-11-2009, 12:01 AM
I love Will Ferrel, so I'll probably go see it.

This movie probably won't win any awards though.

dclary
06-11-2009, 01:03 AM
So,

the reviews for Land of the Lost aren't looking so good. Granted, there are only a couple of 'professional' critics I listen to (Maestro of course ;) )

But the fans are not happy either as shown by yahoo user reviews.

The film cost around $100M to make, and opening weekend they made... wait for it... wait for it.... $18M

Holy shit. If memory serves, 60% - 70% of the entire revenue stream of a movie is usually made in the first 3 weeks - 4 weeks.

This looks like its going to be a huge bomb.

Anyone seen it?

What is your take?

Mel...

Bomb of the summer? Wait 'til GI Joe comes out, and then let's make a prediction.

robeiae
06-11-2009, 04:18 AM
Bomb of the summer? Wait 'til GI Joe comes out, and then let's make a prediction.
Not to mention Harry Potter...

*heads for the hills...fast*

Vincent
06-11-2009, 04:53 AM
Not to mention Harry Potter...

*heads for the hills...fast*
I know that had to be a joke, so it's okay.

AmandaAcidic
06-11-2009, 05:35 AM

Mel...

I'm not even going to waste my time then. I agree that from the first trailer you knew how big of a flop this was going to be.

bethany
06-11-2009, 05:43 AM
My 6 year old wanted to see it. We watched the HBO making of, and the clips shown weren't even good. Saw UP instead.

Leah_Michelle
06-11-2009, 10:12 AM

You read my mind. I was going to mention that myself lol :tongue

G. I. Joe looks like a waste of time and money to me.
...and I bet Michael Bay nearly wet himself when he saw all the explosions in the tiny trailer. Not to mention at the end of the trailer when there are rockets racing towards two people in suits and they leap over and around them...like in the first Transformers.

AmandaAcidic
06-11-2009, 10:15 AM
You read my mind. I was going to mention that myself lol :tongue

I think G.I. Joe is a waste of time and money...
...and I bet Michael Bay nearly wet himself when he saw all the explosions in the tiny trailer.

Except that one has Channing Tatum so I'll go see it. Even though it will probably bomb. But I like him so *shrug*

Leah_Michelle
06-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Except that one has Channing Tatum so I'll go see it. Even though it will probably bomb. But I like him so *shrug*

Yes, I have to admit that I like him too. I'll most likely watch it to see how it is for myself.

Zoombie
06-11-2009, 11:09 AM
The first five seconds of the G.I Joe trailer looked like a trailer to Bioshock.

I was so excited.

Then I was confused.

Then I was booing and throwing popcorn at the screen.

dgiharris
06-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Here is the thing I just can't figure out about Hollywood.

If you are going to spend $100M dollars on a film like Land of the Lost or GI Joe,

Why can't you take just a small % of that money and I dunno, GIVE IT TO WRITERS TO WRITE DECENT SCRIPTS

Here's an idea. Since the salary for writers are peanuts when compared to the overall costs (especially FX), why not hire a whole gaggle writers, and pit them against each other in a script battle royal cage death match. Then after the battle, take all the good ideas and see who can then come up with the best story/script. You can rinse and repeat this process several times and even if you throw away 95% of the scripts it is still WAY cheaper than the money you are going to lose when your $100M film bombs

I mean, Geez-us, you are spending a $100M on the film, might as well make it a good one.

Land of the Lost and GI Joe are not going to get close to recouping thier costs. At least GI Joe will be able to make up for it in merchandising. As for Land of the Lost, they are screwed. I seriously doubt they will make 75% of their money back.

Vincent
06-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Here is the thing I just can't figure out about Hollywood.

If you are going to spend $100M dollars on a film like Land of the Lost or GI Joe,

Why can't you take just a small % of that money and I dunno, GIVE IT TO WRITERS TO WRITE DECENT SCRIPTS

Here's an idea. Since the salary for writers are peanuts when compared to the overall costs (especially FX), why not hire a whole gaggle writers, and pit them against each other in a script battle royal cage death match. Then after the battle, take all the good ideas and see who can then come up with the best story/script. You can rinse and repeat this process several times and even if you throw away 95% of the scripts it is still WAY cheaper than the money you are going to lose when your $100M film bombs

I mean, Geez-us, you are spending a $100M on the film, might as well make it a good one.

Land of the Lost and GI Joe are not going to get close to recouping thier costs. At least GI Joe will be able to make up for it in merchandising. As for Land of the Lost, they are screwed. I seriously doubt they will make 75% of their money back.

Really now. When it comes down to a decent script, and one more cool explosion, what do you think Michael Bay will choose?

Leah_Michelle
06-11-2009, 01:08 PM
The first five seconds of the G.I Joe trailer looked like a trailer to Bioshock.

I was so excited.

Then I was confused.

Then I was booing and throwing popcorn at the screen.

What a disappointment. Bioshock would make a great movie in the write hands. Eerie and interesting storyline.

Calla Lily
06-11-2009, 05:45 PM
But... but... GI Joe has Christopher Eccleston! *whimper*

I know. It's gonna suck anyway.

maestrowork
06-11-2009, 06:22 PM
My friend Jim worked on GI Joe (he built sets) so I'm going to see it if only for support. But dude, that's NOT the GI Joe I grew up with. WTF is that?

As for writing... I mentioned that with T4 and Wolverine. If only they would spend another $2M of those $100M budgets on the screenplays instead of more explosions and Hugh Jackman's pecs, they would have had better movies and box office takes. These people never learned.

BenPanced
06-11-2009, 06:40 PM
"I don't get it. We had 75 major explosions in the first 45 minutes alone, but nobody saw the movie! What are we going to do?"

"Have 200 explosions in the first 10 minutes of the sequel?"

"Break for lunch!"

dirtsider
06-11-2009, 06:42 PM
I have no intention of seeing LotL - especially since Will Ferrell's in it. I can't recall the last movie I've seen with him in it. The one trailer where he's saying "come see it because I'm in it" guaranteed I would never bother seeing it on TV, let alone spend money on it.

RickN
06-12-2009, 01:42 AM
My 2 kids and my sister's 3 kids (5 boys ranging from 12-20) agreed: it looks stupid. If Will Ferrell can't capture the teenage boy market then who's he supposed to get?

brokenfingers
06-12-2009, 01:55 AM
My friend Jim worked on GI Joe (he built sets) so I'm going to see it if only for support. But dude, that's NOT the GI Joe I grew up with. WTF is that?

As for writing... I mentioned that with T4 and Wolverine. If only they would spend another $2M of those $100M budgets on the screenplays instead of more explosions and Hugh Jackman's pecs, they would have had better movies and box office takes. These people never learned.I agree but a large part of the problem is the whole Hollywood scriptwriting/storyforming process. It's sometimes a chaotic, group-driven process.

The script will be written, then execs and producers and actors will all give their input and want changes and the script is continually rewritten, often going through many writers.

Often, the results aren't pretty. But the movie business is an industry riddled with super-large egos. And anybody who can have a say, usually demands to have it and the place where they do is the script.

robeiae
06-12-2009, 02:32 AM
Or the soundtrack.

dgiharris
06-12-2009, 08:55 AM
I have no intention of seeing LotL - especially since Will Ferrell's in it. I can't recall the last movie I've seen with him in it. The one trailer where he's saying "come see it because I'm in it" guaranteed I would never bother seeing it on TV, let alone spend money on it.

He's one of those actors that grows on you... like a fungus.

I used to hate him and his style of humor, but then after watching Anchor Man, I developed a sort of 'taste' for him. *tries to ignore how gay that sounds.*:e2smack:

Anyways, he has a few hilarious movies out there. But I can see how some would not find him funny, I was one of those once upon a time.

Mel...

Leah_Michelle
06-12-2009, 11:01 AM

I used to hate him and his style of humor, but then after watching Anchor Man, I developed a sort of 'taste' for him. *tries to ignore how gay that sounds.*:e2smack:

Anyways, he has a few hilarious movies out there. But I can see how some would not find him funny, I was one of those once upon a time.

Mel...

Personally, I think the best movie he has made was Stranger Than Fiction. That was such a different role for him. I loved that movie.

Zoombie
06-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Personally, I think the best movie he has made was Stranger Than Fiction. That was such a different role for him. I loved that movie.

It had to be said more than once...

Writer2011
06-12-2009, 11:21 AM
I have no desire to see this or much of anything else this summer.. maybe Harry Potter and definitely H2 but that's about it!!!

Enzo
06-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Will Ferrell in Stranger than Fiction is like Jim Carrey in The Truman Show.

They're both people I used to find intensely unfunny until I saw both of those movies.

Leah_Michelle
06-12-2009, 12:33 PM
It had to be said more than once...

:ROFL:

They're both people I used to find intensely unfunny until I saw both of those movies.

Yeah, their movies follow the same type of comedy. Seeing them in a legit serious role is such a relief. I have much more respect for them after seeing those types of movies. I will gladly see any Will Ferrell or Jim Carrey movie in a serious role.

Favorite movie of Jim Carrey is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Incredible movie. You either hate it or love it. The Truman Show is second on my list for him.

I guess the serious roles tend to have a better story, which is what I look for. Don't get me wrong, I love comedy, but after a while I need a change from the same old, same old.

dgiharris
06-12-2009, 01:37 PM
... Don't get me wrong, I love comedy, but after a while I need a change from the same old, same old.

Oh yeah? Lets see.

List your top five favorite comedies! Go (just Leah, don't want to derail the thread too much :) )

Mel...

Siddow
06-12-2009, 02:15 PM
I watched an old episode of the original show last week. I figure if anyone can bring the suck like the originals, it would be Farrel. I'm looking forward to it.

I'll wait until it hits Free On Demand, tho. :)

Diana Hignutt
06-12-2009, 03:06 PM
:ROFL:

Yeah, their movies follow the same type of comedy. Seeing them in a legit serious role is such a relief. I have much more respect for them after seeing those types of movies. I will gladly see any Will Ferrell or Jim Carrey movie in a serious role.

Favorite movie of Jim Carrey is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Incredible movie. You either hate it or love it. The Truman Show is second on my list for him.

I guess the serious roles tend to have a better story, which is what I look for. Don't get me wrong, I love comedy, but after a while I need a change from the same old, same old.

My favorite Jim Carrey movie is The Number 23. Can't stand his comedy though, or Ferrell's.

robeiae
06-12-2009, 05:37 PM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3682773&postcount=925

Celia Cyanide
06-12-2009, 05:51 PM

Mel...

I like him. Pretty much everything he does. But I'm not much of a comedy fan, so what do I know? I just think this movie was a bad idea all around.

jodiodi
06-12-2009, 06:33 PM
I don't know if we'll see it or not. When we lived in AK, we went to the movies every weekend, sometimes twice. There wasn't much else for us to do.

Now, however, we rarely see movies in theaters. Not that many are worth the time and money.

We likely won't even see LotL even on Showtime/HBO.

Leah_Michelle
06-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Oh yeah? Lets see.

List your top five favorite comedies! Go (just Leah, don't want to derail the thread too much :) )

Mel...

Haha, top 5 comedies huh?
1. Get Smart
2. Role Models
3. Dodgeball
4. Robin Hood: Men in Tights
5. Austin Powers

That would be muh list :D

dclary
06-13-2009, 12:24 AM
I saw Land of the Lost last night.

Its primary flaw was that the writers wanted a raunchy sex comedy, and the producers wanted a family kid-friendly movie.

What we're left with is that vague middle-ground where half of the jokes stopped being funny the week after puberty ended.

If you're going to be sexy and funny, then give us sex too -- Wedding Crashers, 40-Year-Old Virgin, etc.

If you're not going to give us the sex, then at least appeal to the audience you're pulling ratings for and cut the toilet humor too.

There were some very cute scenes in it. But they were very disjointed, the plot twist was obvious the second it was introduced, and overall, it was a disappointing film: disappointing in that it could have been hellabetter, even given the lamish material it was based on.

Smileycat
06-13-2009, 01:02 AM

So you found them funny before, but not after they tried to do the serious route? Okay, I accept that. But I do disagree with you.

I liked Carrey in Truman, but not so much in 123.

Leah_Michelle
06-13-2009, 01:12 AM
So you found them funny before, but not after they tried to do the serious route? Okay, I accept that. But I do disagree with you.

I liked Carrey in Truman, but not so much in 123.

No, Enzo found them unfunny before. Watching a serious role changed his mind.

dgiharris
06-13-2009, 01:58 AM
Haha, top 5 comedies huh?
1. Get Smart
2. Role Models
3. Dodgeball
4. Robin Hood: Men in Tights
5. Austin Powers

That would be muh list :D

Sweetie, you need to get out more :D

Granted, the movies above are o.k., but the only one that belongs in a top five list is Austin Powers and 'maybe' Men in Tights. The other ones are 2nd string bench warmers :D

Overall, I deem you mentally well enough to not like Will Ferrel's films. But would recommend you watch Anchor Man until you like it

Mel...

Leah_Michelle
06-13-2009, 02:04 AM
Sweetie, you need to get out more :D

Granted, the movies above are o.k., but the only one that belongs in a top five list is Austin Powers and 'maybe' Men in Tights. The other ones are 2nd string bench warmers :D

Overall, I deem you mentally well enough to not like Will Ferrel's films. But would recommend you watch Anchor Man until you like it

Mel...

To each their own. My sense of humor just varies, as it should I suppose. If other people disagree with me, that's awesome. Just makes my style more unique

Also, I own Anchorman. It just didn't make the cut.

dclary
06-13-2009, 02:23 AM
Top 5 Comedies of All Time: (at least, my fave five at this second)

ghostbusters
wedding crashers
the waterboy
the court jester
undercover brother

Cyia
06-13-2009, 02:40 AM
The Princess Bride :D

robeiae
06-13-2009, 04:15 AM
To not have Blazing Saddles in these lists is simply outrageous.

dclary
06-13-2009, 04:30 AM
To not have Blazing Saddles in these lists is simply outrageous.

I have Spaceballs in my top ten, and it frequently rotates into the top 5, R-vowels. It's my favorite Brooks film. I was surprised my own self that neither A Fish Called Wanda nor Python's Holy Grail made my list either, as both are perennial favorites.

DWSTXS
06-13-2009, 04:30 AM
I think that we've all become completely ass-whipped with enough of Will Ferrell's particular brand of schtick. I know I have.
He AND Jack F'ing Black. Enough already.

Susan Gable
06-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Spaceballs, definitely.
And don't forget Galaxy Quest. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in a theater as I did while watching that for the first time. (And I STILL laugh at it. <G>)

Susan G.

maestrowork
06-13-2009, 07:28 PM
The problem is, Will Ferrell acts the same way in every one of his comedy. Whether he's playing Ron Burgundy or whatever, he always act the same way. That's really weird considering he could play so many different characters (as he did in SNL). And when he IS playing someone else such as in Stranger than Fiction, he's actually not bad. So I don't know why he's doing the same schtick over and over. It's time to reinvent himself and his comedies or abandon that altogether and do drama instead (like Tom Hanks did).

I was watching SNL the other night and Tom Hanks was on and I forgot how funny he is as a comedian, or that he was a comedian before becoming an Oscar-winning dramatic actor.

Smileycat
06-13-2009, 10:54 PM
The problem is, Will Ferrell acts the same way in every one of his comedy. Whether he's playing Ron Burgundy or whatever, he always act the same way. That's really weird considering he could play so many different characters (as he did in SNL). And when he IS playing someone else such as in Stranger than Fiction, he's actually not bad. So I don't know why he's doing the same schtick over and over. It's time to reinvent himself and his comedies or abandon that altogether and do drama instead (like Tom Hanks did).

I was watching SNL the other night and Tom Hanks was on and I forgot how funny he is as a comedian, or that he was a comedian before becoming an Oscar-winning dramatic actor.

agree

Smileycat
06-13-2009, 10:56 PM
No, Enzo found them unfunny before. Watching a serious role changed his mind.

That's what I meant, but not what I typed. Tired, I guess.

Leah_Michelle
06-14-2009, 10:41 AM
That's what I meant, but not what I typed. Tired, I guess.

Fatigue and thinking about all the Will Ferrell humor is enough to melt anyone's brain :D

maestrowork
06-16-2009, 02:39 AM
Looks like LotL is going to join the elite group of big budget stink bombs such as Waterworld. It made just $9 million this weekend on more than 3000 screens. At a budget of about $150M, it is a bona fide disaster. Yes, the Love Guru (a Raspberry winner) bombed, too, but that film did not have such a high budget.

Delhomeboy
06-16-2009, 02:43 AM

I honestly think it might be a confidence thing. Really. Because he knows people come watch his movies (until now, that is) when he acts goofy. And the one time he doesn't (Stranger than Fiction), nobody goes to see him. Which is sad, because Stranger than Fiction is the second best movie he's done, the first being Anchorman.

maestrowork
06-16-2009, 02:52 AM
That's the problem. Anchorman made him a real star but also crippled him. They want more of the same from him, hoping these movies will perform like Anchorman.

EFCollins
06-16-2009, 03:05 AM
That's the problem. Anchorman made him a real star but also crippled him. They want more of the same from him, hoping these movies will perform like Anchorman.

That's just it. It just isn't funny after the ten thousandth time. Anchorman was good, but all that came after was some sort of variation on the same thing. It just gets old.

dgiharris
06-16-2009, 03:32 AM

It is my personal belief that Comedy is the hardest artform when it comes to acting. And that comedic actors are so undervalued just because they are funny and the stigma that comedy just isn't serious or real acting.

The majority of comedic actors can cross over and do/learn drama. The same is not true for drama actors. Without being spoonfed a funny script, they would be lost. OTOH comedic actors who are spoonfed a normal script and it is their job to transform a completely bland line into laughs. That is pure talent.

That's just it. It just isn't funny after the ten thousandth time. Anchorman was good, but all that came after was some sort of variation on the same thing. It just gets old.

IMHO, this is what an agent is for. A really good agent should be able to direct your career in such a way as to grow you for the long run. IMHO, it is a cheap way out to only stick with 'what works'. Big deal, any donkey can do that. Whereas a real professional is not only able to see what works, but can anticipate what can and will work.

Look at Will Smith. How easy would he have been to type cast into the hip black cool cat like he was on the Fresh Prince. But he worked his ass off and now he can pretty much do no wrong.

Of course, not everyone can have that range or be at the pinnacle like Johnny Depp. But at the very least, a decent agent should be able to keep you from being a cookie cutter version of yourself.

And when you have a Talent like Will Ferrel, there is no excuse for him to get a dog shit script. Seriously, that is an unforgiveable sin and his Agent should be shot.

Mel...

dclary
06-16-2009, 03:54 AM
Looks like LotL is going to join the elite group of big budget stink bombs such as Waterworld. It made just $9 million this weekend on more than 3000 screens. At a budget of about $150M, it is a bona fide disaster. Yes, the Love Guru (a Raspberry winner) bombed, too, but that film did not have such a high budget.

The Love Guru won my award for unfunniest comedy of all time.

Schindler's List was funnier than The Love Guru.

maestrowork
06-16-2009, 03:57 AM
Look at Will Smith. How easy would he have been to type cast into the hip black cool cat like he was on the Fresh Prince. But he worked his ass off and now he can pretty much do no wrong.

Yup. Will Ferrell needs Will Smith's or Tom Hanks' agent.

Dommo
06-16-2009, 04:05 AM
Rumor has it that the A-bomb of the summer is GI joe. Supposedly after seeing how godawful the movie was during a test screening paramount shit canned the director. I don't know if this is true or not, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Leah_Michelle
06-16-2009, 06:15 AM
Rumor has it that the A-bomb of the summer is GI joe. Supposedly after seeing how godawful the movie was during a test screening paramount shit canned the director. I don't know if this is true or not, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Yeah not surprising. I knew it was going to fail.

dclary
06-16-2009, 06:37 AM
Yeah not surprising. I knew it was going to fail.
In most cases, past tense is used for events that have already occured.

Blackest_Nite
06-22-2009, 05:42 AM
I have heard that it isn't worth paying to watch. Something to do with it being extremely stupid...

Leah_Michelle
06-22-2009, 01:29 PM
I have heard that it isn't worth paying to watch. Something to do with it being extremely stupid...

I still refuse to watch it, but two of my friends have found it hilarious.
They have a one-track sense of humor though.
All of the repeated jokes are hilarious to them. They're boring for me.