Heavy Rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, the creators of Fahrenheit (indigo prophecy if you're American and fat, like me) are making a new game.

What I know so far:

Its got very realistic graphics

It uses a similar control system to Fahrenheit, I.E, composed ENTIRELY OF QUICKTIME EVENTS.

This is both good and bad...on one hand, it worked really well in Fahrenheit and seems like its going to be very neat in this game. On the other hand, it could get kinda annoying.

The other thing I know is the main character looks a lot like Fox Moulder.

Oh, also, I hear the game is seriously dark.

Questions that remain: Will it be for anything other than PS3.

And, most importantly...

Will it have the same problem Fahrenheit had?

If you remember, Fahrenheit started with a very creepy, very creative plot idea.

It progressed from plot point A to plot point B to plot point C...then, at the third act, it said, "Screw this!" and jumped forward to plot point Z, with flying Myan kung-fu fights and flying helicopter dodging bullet head punching jump kick explosions.

And then the sentient computers show up and try to kill you out of the left field...yeah...

The last act was...kinda weird...

But I am still VERY excited for Heavy Rain!

What do you guys think?

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Fahrenheit was an experiment as much as it was a game. If Heavy Rain learns from the mistakes Fahrenheit made (and boy, did it make a few) then it might supplant Arkham Asylum from my 'most wanted' wish list.
I'm gonna hold off commenting until I see a trailer or screen-grabs.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Looks (at this stage) like they are doing a fine job. There are still a few graphics upgrades they should put in before release: the body model issues, fabric not sitting quite right, the skin texture (all fixable, remember what GTA IV looked like in the pre-release videos).

I would buy this as long as the PC version comes with a toolkit, or an SDK is available at some point. I could have soooo much fun :)

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
If they have any sense, it should be available at some point. Naturally, that means waiting 6-14 months until they have wrung every last dime from the PS3 (DLC packs, the MP content, the inevitable contests). Folks who like tinkering with games are going to want to try using the interface for their own ends, and it looks like there could be fun to had with this engine.

Fahrenheit's temperamental behaviour on the PC was a problem, but this looks promising.

Take my optimism as a warning: I was optimistic about the Indiana Jones, Transformers and Ghost Rider films. I desperately wanted to love the Superman / Doomsday 'toon. The Flash Gordon television series should have been so, so good. Every time I get my hopes up (even for dumb stuff like the TMNT game) I get screwed.

I was first in line for the PS2 waaaay back. Now I hold off a couple of days to hear from people who have played through the first level of a game, and my attitude to some ames is even harsher - I didn't even bother with the 'new' Turok after they tinkered with it so much.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm an optimist too!

Lets be optimistic together!

Also, we finally have a movie tie in game that's not only awesome, but its awesome AND it has come almost 10 years after the fact: The Ghostbusters game.

yellosharpie

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm an optimist too!

Lets be optimistic together!

Also, we finally have a movie tie in game that's not only awesome, but its awesome AND it has come almost 10 years after the fact: The Ghostbusters game.

Hmm a Ghostbusters game?
They must have been waiting for a better platform
Says its comes out tomorrow for 360 maybe I'll look for a demo

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
GameInformer gave it a 9.5. I have it on preorder. I specifically am interested in the character development, but overall I've been impressed with Omikron and the Indigo Prophecy so I'm anticipating that this one will build on those.

Bad news to me is that both previous titles by this company had plots that sort of fizzled around the third act.

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Heavy Rain is finally coming out, yay! It's been like four years that I've heard whispers about it and seen screenshots and what have you. Finally....Sadly I don't get to play it because my computer is ancient and I'm too poor to afford a PS3 or an X-box360. Poor me...

Tomothy_Mayhem

Holy Emperor of the Imperium
Registered
Reaction score
Heavy Rain is finally coming out, yay! It's been like four years that I've heard whispers about it and seen screenshots and what have you. Finally....Sadly I don't get to play it because my computer is ancient and I'm too poor to afford a PS3 or an X-box360. Poor me...

I feel your pain :p

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
Why does America always see fit to change box-art or the titles of games?

I have it and have to say I'm underwhelmed by the American box art for this title. That said, I think it depends a lot. I was underwhelmed by the American box art for D2 back in the day, but usually if you go to GameFAQs you can compare and contrast and I feel that we've gotten a lot of good covers, as well.

I think the titles are changed only for marketing purposes. For example, Indigo Prophecy and the movie Fahrenheit 9/11 were released around the same time frame. If it had been released as Fahrenheit, as it was in other countries, they must have thought that that would be confusing. But honestly I don't see what either title had to do with the game itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.