Two Requests, Same Agency

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Some advice, please--
I got a request for a partial about two weeks ago and sent it in. But another agent at the agency -- the one I'd initially queried -- has also requested a partial. I think the same group of readers would be looking at it, but I'm not sure. Should I send in the second partial while notifying the agent about the first, or should I just notify him (second requester) about the first?

Thanks

childeroland

Danthia

You don't want to query multiple agents at the same agency. What you're essentially doing is setting up co-workers to fight over a project, which just means the project will be rejected to keep the peace. I'd suggest telling the second agent you made a mistake, and you already queried someone at their agency. Apologize and thank them for their interest. :)

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Should I send in the second partial while notifying the agent about the first, or should I just notify him (second requester) about the first?

Don't send the second partial at all. You don't knowingly want to be the potential cause of strife at an agency [both agents wind up liking your partial, both request fulls and like the work, both plan to present at editorial board meeting, etc., etc. -- problems for you, to say nothing of a lack of trust and/or professionalism in your methods).

Just email the second agent and as Danthia said, admit your mistake.

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
Someone recently had the same problem here, and e-mailed agent #2 to explain and agent #2 agreed to look at it should agent #1 pass. That's the ideal scenario for you - see if you can get agent #2 to agree to that. :) Because statistically speaking, they wouldn't fight over any one particular MS, they would both reject it.

I wonder what the odds are of having 2 agents at the same agency fight over one MS? Anyone figured this out? It must have something to do with a warping of the space-time continuum. . .

childeroland

Registered
Reaction score
I only queried one agent. The second agent to ask for the partial was the one I queried; the first to ask was another at the agency I had not queried. I wonder if they're not just acting on behalf of a third agent who wished to read the sample, but I don't know if it ever works that way. Anyway, let the second agent know I sent in the partial. ;)

childeroland

Registered
Reaction score
I wish I had more of them.

Vermilion

Sleepless in Asia
Registered
Reaction score
Someone recently had the same problem here, and e-mailed agent #2 to explain and agent #2 agreed to look at it should agent #1 pass. That's the ideal scenario for you - see if you can get agent #2 to agree to that. :) Because statistically speaking, they wouldn't fight over any one particular MS, they would both reject it.
That would be me, yes! I did exactly that. Of course I try to word it as humble and polite as possible.