• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Light beta read needed for SF novel. Inquire within.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyGirl

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all. First let me say that I've been lurking for some time and have found the volumes of advice here extremely helpful. Thanks!

I've just finished the first draft of a SF novel (80,500 by the old 250 x page standard and closer to 70,000 by my computers count) and would love to find a beta reader or two. As it's a first draft, I don't need anything more than a simple read through and a list of problems/questions you have with the plot and characters. I generally save grammar and typos until I have what I consider to be a completely finished product.

A bit about the novel:

The Widow

Chapel Ward has agreed to be a mail order bride and travels to an illegal colony at the far reaches of human space only to find upon arrival that her prospective husband is already dead. Her new hosts keep her sequestered and she suspects there is more going on than simply a failing colony's efforts to bolster their gene pool but they aren't the only ones with secrets and she quickly proves herself to be much more than the colony bargained for.

Sheesh. I did much better with the novel than I just did with the synopsis, or at least I hope I did :)

Anyway, if anyone is interested I'd be more than happy to reciprocate. I'm a voracious reader of everything from young adult to non-fiction.

AngelicaRJackson

Angelic Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
AngelicaRJackson.blogspot.com
I would be willing to take a run at it; I do better reading/correcting on paper, however, so if you're willing to print and mail we're good to go. I have not done a beta through AW yet, but I attend a writer's critique group twice a week and get lots of practice there. I read sf, and Tepper is one of my favorites (saw that on your profile) so we might be compatible.

If you're interested, PM me and I'll get you my postal address.

mommyjo2

Bad grammar make me [sic]
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milehimama.com
I'd be willing to take a crack at it. I'm a sci-fi fan, never been a beta for a novel before but love to hang out on SYW and have done continuity editing/beta for scripts.

Status
Not open for further replies.